Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi zitro70. Subaru's August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00125 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I would be happy to give you my opinion on this specific deal, but it would be much easier for me to do so if you were able to provide us with this car's selling price first.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • conger14conger14 Posts: 25
    Hi,

I have a 2010 Forester Premium that we bought in 09' as a lease deal. The dealer cut off 15k miles and gave us a 30k mile lease instead of 45k. We did not realize the mistake until too late.

We are coming up on our 30k (currently 27k and change) and considering Subaru's 1.9 financing that is available until the end of this month and a local dealer offering $4,500 on trade ins...can/should we turn in our subaru now for a 2011 model?

I'm open to opinions and suggestions. We are looking at a 2011 WRX or 2011 Legacy 3.6. Our current lease payment is a little less than 400 a month. Really unsure what to do here...

Stephen
    Hi Stephen. I wouldn't worry about the special financing offer on the Forester expiring any time soon. I think that the 3-year, 1.9% rate has been available since Subaru launched the 2011 model. I would be shocked if it went away.

In your post you mentioned that your dealer is offering $4,500 on trade-ins. Are you saying that the dealer is willing to let you walk away from your lease for free at this point and pay you $4,500 to boot? If so, jump at that offer. That sounds a little too generous to me.

Car_man
    Host
  • conger14conger14 Posts: 25
    Hi caRman,

The 4500 was a cash for clunkers deal and not applicable to my situation. What i did find when i went to the dealership today is that they are only willing to give me enough to pay off my lease and no equity towards a new car...kind of bummed there.

I think we will trade in for a new legacy with cvt so we dont get hammered with the mileage fee.

Stephen
  • Hi Car Man,

My father went into a local Subaru dealership with the intention of leasing a 2011 Forester (detailed in subject line). He wanted a 3 year/12K lease with taxes "rolled in." The tax rate in suburban Cook County IL is 9.5%.

They quoted him $550 per month. He's an older gentlemen so I thought I'd do a little digging to see how they arrived at that number. I can't seem to get there. Even assuming they based the lease off of full MSRP, it still doesn't make sense. I asked them what the August money factor residual is and was told 53% and .00140. I plugged those numbers in with the MSRP of $29,945 and I still got an estimated lease payment of about $450 (which includes tax).

Can you confirm August MF and residual on the Forester 2.5X Limited w/Nav for a 36-month, 12K lease?

I know everyone's in business to make money but I kind of feel like this salesperson my Dad met with was exploiting the fact that he was elderly and new to leasing. I was wondering your thoughts on this.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    $550 price quote is absurd. They're crooks.
  • Agreed. Big surprise that after I called their dealership and spoke to the sales manager, they claimed a "mistake" was made and have since come down to about $450.

I've known a lot of decent salespeople in my time, but there are always those ones that help give the industry a bad name.
  • Good job at taking care of your father, max_anderson. Your assumption about $500 per month being too much was absolutely correct.

Car_man
    Host
  • vicskivicski Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hello, I was just offered a 2.5x Premium with all-weather package. MSRP $24964, invoice $23356 for $22856, lease 36 mo. 15,000 miles, 52% residual and money factor of .00095. Is this a good deal? Payments quoted at $279.13/month.
  • Hello vicski. The money factor, residual value, and selling price that you were quoted for this vehicle all look good. If you like the Forester, and it is a great value if you ask me, then I don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Car_Man,
    Can you tell me the Residual and Money Factor for both a 2011 Forester 2.5X Auto Limited and Touring for 12K and 36 Months? I was quoted 342 and 369 respectively, with 1,700 down.

Many Thanks,
    Cris
  • I'd be happy to help you out, Cris. Chase's September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited Auto with 12,000 miles per year are .00105 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Touring are .00070 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello Car_man,

What is the residual value % and money factor for a 2011 2.5x Forester Limited Auto with protection package 3?

10,000 miles per year, 42 month lease.

I was offered $295/month with $4000 down and am trying to figure out if that's a good deal.

Looking at KBB.com, the MSRP is $27604, invoice $25789 and he promised $300 under invoice.

Thanks for your help!
  • wdowning1wdowning1 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hello Car_Man -

Hoping you can check some lease math for me: I've been quoted a lease for a 2011 2.5XT Touring, 36 months, 10k mileage, $31,502 MSRP, $28,800 purchase price, $16,696.06 residual (53%), .00075 money factor. The dealer quoted the price as $477/mo with tax - tax is 9.1%. When I run the math I get a payment more like $403/mo. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.
  • Roberthan725, Subaru's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Limited Auto with 10,000 miles per year are .00105 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

$300 over dealer invoice is a good selling price for this vehicle, but you really shouldn't put $4,000 down on a lease. I always advise consumers to put as little money down as possible on leases because if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered part or all of the money that they put down could disappear.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi wdowning1. I get a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of $371 on this vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • sigma521sigma521 Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Hello Car_Man -

Could you please provide me with October Residual and Money Factors for 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring. I'm interested in 36/42 months and 10,000/12,000 miles per year. Are the numbers different for 2012 ?

Is the Navigation affect money factors ?

Thank you.
  • We are looking at a 2011 or 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited or Premium. The lease rates I was quoted seem really high compared to what I am reading here in these forums.

For instance, on a 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited we were quoted a price of $28165. 15,000 mi and a 42 month lease at $445 per month plus tax. 36 month (which I would prefer) is $465 per month plus tax.

I am sure they are working off MSRP (or higher!) and I intend to get the price down from there, but do you have any other suggestions on what I should be looking at/ask to see to negotiate a better deal. I feel more lost now that I have a little information of the leasing process than I did before I started so any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, how important are special offers listed on the manufacturer's website in connection with all of this?
  • Hello sigma521. Subaru's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5XT Touring with 12,000 miles per year are .00040 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Adding navigation changes the numbers to .00045 and 49%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2012 model would be .00150 / 57% without and .00180 / 57% with Navigation.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi rosenthalks. the key to getting a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible. If I was in the market for a Forester right now, I personally would shoot for $500 or so over dealer invoice. You can look up this vehicle's invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • ursusursus Posts: 48
    Hi Car_man. Just wanted to mention that I ordered my 2012 Forester X Touring for $~600 under invoice last week.
  • Hello Car Man,

Looking for the December Residual and Money Factors for a 2012 Forester 2.5X w/ Alloy Wheel Package. MSRP of $23,703 (http://bit.ly/vObryp). The salesman said residual was 58% for 10k miles per year.

Online deal at $249/month, 42-month lease, with $2000 due at signing.

Went in to dealership hoping to get the $249 Subaru.com on-line lease price, but they indicated to me the price was for Manual transmission only - and none are available. They first came back with $289. I pushed back for $250, they came back with $269. I pushed back again but they wouldn't budget. I got up and left and just as I was pulling out, the salesman came out and said he can do $259. I told him I still wanted to think on it.

My other questions is about the 42-month lease vs more standard 36 month. Most blogs I've read say to stay away from a lease that is longer than the basic warranty, which is 36 months for Subaru. What's your take on this? I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sure how much weight to place on the concern.
  • Thanks for letting us know, ursus. $600 under invoice is a great deal. Enjoy!

Car_man
    Host
    edited December 2011
    Hello ianjrc. Chase's December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X w/Alloy Wheels and 10,000 miles per year are .00195 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I personally try not to lease vehicles for much longer than their bumper-to-bumper warranties, though I have done a 39-month lease on a vehicle that had a 36-month warranty in the past. The difference in payment was great enough for me to take the three month risk.

Car_man
    Host
  • ursusursus Posts: 48
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Car_man.

They are also giving me 1.9%/60 month financing through Chase (Subaru Finance) after I mentioned that Subaru's 3.9%/60 month will not work for me and I would have to bring an outside financing at around 2.75%/60 month. My wife currently leases a Forester through Subaru Finance and that might have played a role.
  • HI I'm looking at leasing a Forester, 2012 Touring. I live in Canada.
    When figuring the price for the lease, I've taken the invoice price plus 3% markup. Here we also have 1595. or freight, and 100.00 for Air conditioning tax. Do I figure the lease cost on the invoice + 3% and then add the freight and air to that? I don't think I should be adding it to the cost I'm paying a lease on since it's a one time charge.
    Also there is a 500 holiday rebate here, and they say that there is a 1% rate reduction if you've leased from them before, and .1% off for every security deposit you leave, up to ten deposits, or a minimum of .5%. But it doesn't say what the security deposit is.
    Not sure how to figure out the Money factor up here. There are calculators on the subaru Canada website, but they all have a minimum 2900.00 down payment in there, and you can't change that number.
    I'm also using a company which gives you the invoice prices and rebate info (yes, it's not free in Canada, you have to pay to get that info, and we pay a lot more for the same cars you do here, even though the dollar is at par.)
    What should I be looking at here to get a good deal? This company says that invoice plus 3% is a 'fair price' and what they recommend. There are two dealers: one I dealt with last time I leased, who is out of town, and one who is 5 minutes from my new home. Should I see if they'll go below the invoice plus 3%, especially the one farther away, whom I did business with last time? I've got to really watch the pennies this time.
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • Hi,
    Can someone please tell me the current money factor and residual on the Forester 2.5x in zip 07052?

Thanks
    Nicole
  • I'd be happy to help you out, Nicole.

Chase's January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X with 15,000 miles per year are .00175 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Car_Man -

Can you give the current lease rates on a 2012 Forrester 2.5X Limited. For both 10,000 and 12,000 miles per year. This is for Western New York.

We are currently leasing a 2009 Subaru Impreza and will be returning it. Not sure if there is any loyalty cash that is available. Also, is there any advantage to turning it in a few months early if we are 5000+ miles below?

Thanks!
  • I sure can arandazzo. Subaru's February buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 57%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

The only loyalty offer that Subaru is running right now is the waiver of the first month's payment for returning lessees.

There should not be any advantage to turning your vehicle in early. In fact, you might not be able to without making your remaining payments...even if you are significantly under mileage.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.