Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hello Kathy. I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when leasing the new Forester that you are interested in. There's nothing wrong with trading in your current car or truck when leasing a new one, in fact many states give tax breaks to consumers who trade in their vehicles, however it would be in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers against making capitalized cost reductions on leases because those who make one risk losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Have the dealer that you are trading your vehicle into cut you a check for it rather than using the proceeds as a down payment for your lease.

As far as this vehicle's lease program goes, if you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Forester X Premium through Subaru Auto Finance right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00280 and 55$, respectively. Make sure to use the lease cash that is available on the Forester to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Is the $21,636 that you mentioned the selling price that was used to calculate this lease payment? If so, this is a very good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Posts: 41
    Thank you Car_man for providing me with the information.
  • 98in_cuse98in_cuse Posts: 9
    Hi Car_man and thanks for the information on the trade-in. I guess you are saying it's better to simply make a cash down payment? On the lease cash, this dealer is saying that the $1000 goes away if you are leasing, so I am wondering about that - I see the incentive listed. The vehicle price is $23,697 which reflects no discounts except dealer invoice price. They are also quoting a money rate of .0029, I'm not sure why.

Any further information would be appreciated.
  • taxestaxes Posts: 1
    Hello Car_man,

Is this a good deal on a new 2007 subaru 2.5i limited?
    28,617 MSRP
    -1,500 dealer discount
    40 doc fee
    with subaru discount,title,taxes,and transfer of plate the
    total is

I would like to buy an extended warranty. Should I buy it with the car or shop around? I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years and 100,000 miles.
  • vkeanevkeane Posts: 5
    Hey Car_man,

After hunting for months now, we've narrowed our search to a Forester LL Bean. Based on the new lease deals from Subaru do you consider now a good time to lease?

Thanks,
    Vin
  • vkeanevkeane Posts: 5
    Hey there

I just put a deposit down to lease an 07 Forester X-Premium. it includes the dimming compass mirror, rear cargo mat, sound system. It's about 2300.00 down(tax/fees) and 335.00 for 42 months. How does this sound to you?

Thanks for your advice!
    VK
    You're very welcome, dleungnyc.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, 98in_cuse. I'm actually saying that it is better not to make any down payment aka capitalized cost reduction when leasing. I believe that Subaru's cash incentives are compatible with leases through Subaru Finance. With the payment of a security deposit at lease signing, through July 2nd its buy rate for a 36 month lease of an '07 Forester X Premium is .00280.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi taxes. The vehicle that you described has a spread of around $1,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Plus there is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of it. This give you a total of around $2,700 to play with. While the $1,500 discount that you were quoted isn't terrible, there is a very good chance that you would be able to beat it if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition and you comparison shop a little bit.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Vin. Subaru's June lease program on the Forester isn't bad. If I was interested in this vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to lease one now. It is difficult to say whether its July lease program will be more attractive than its June program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey vkeane. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Forester that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this vehicle's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • tsbtsb Posts: 8
    Hi Car_man,

I'm looking for the money factor and residual for the lease of a 2008 Sports 2.5 XT. I am located in New Jersey. I'm looking for 15k miles/year, however I'm not sure what length of lease is offered (36 or 39 months) and which offers the best value. In addition, is it reasonable to expect that this model can be purchased at invoice? I will need to order the car as I cannot find one locally in dealer stock. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Well guys....check it out.
    2008 Subaru Forester Premium Pkg, w/homelink mirror
    Automatic
    $245.14/mo payments
    2yrs w/15,000mi a year.

I had to fish around dealerships for this price. When dealerships compete YOU WIN!
  • Here's the information that you're looking for, tsb. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Forester 2.5 XT (not the Limited model) with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00230 and 50%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account. Given this cash incentive, a selling price of right around dealer invoice is probably attainable if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition. Dealer are usually more willing to provide better deals on vehicles that they have in stock than ordered vehicles though.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Congratulations on getting such a good deal on your new Forester, marcus1701. Make sure to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with everyone.

Car_man
    Host
  • tsbtsb Posts: 8
    Car_man,

I greatly appreciate this information. I think that there are enough dealers in my area to create some reasonable competition on the selling price. Thanks again for your help.
  • hpoohhhpoohh Posts: 35
    Hi Car man, can you help find the lease info (MF, bank fee, residual, dealer cash, or customer cash that can be combined w/ lease program) for a 08 Forester XT sports?
    i am looking at 12k/yr 36mo, i am in SoCal by the way.
    thank you
  • Hello. I am looking to lease a 2008 Subaru Forester. Never having leased before, I'm not sure if the following is a good deal or not. The dealer wasn't real specific on total costs. But here is what I know.
    We are talking the base model Forester X with a MSRP of $23,213. The cap cost is $20,258. We discussed a 36 and 48 month lease. for the 36 month lease,the residual is .48 and for the 48 the residual is .45. The money factor is .00230 (this might have been just for the 48. Monthly payments for the 48 month lease were $250 with $1200 down. The dealer suggested extending the bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $15 a month. The were even more vague on the cost of the 36 month lease - but said it would be about $300 a month.
    Does this sound OK? What else should I be asking?

Thank you.
  • asd302asd302 Posts: 20
    Hey Car_Man,

You've helped me several times before, last time on an infiniti M35x, I was wondering if you could get me the program information on a 2008 Forester XT Limited, and a 2008 Forester X premium, I'm pretty sure that 24 months is the best program right now, so I guess I'm just looking for the residual and MF for these two models, 12k and 15k. Also need to knows if manual/auto makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • dcdamedcdame Posts: 24
    Warning - some of this is probably TMI for my question, but I thought I'd put it in context just in case the additional detail is relevant.

From what I see so far, I like the '09 Forester redesign. Still, I don't really NEED to buy a new car and think waiting to buy the 2010 model is a good idea (for a potential better transmission and any other sophomore improvements).

My current daily driver is an Atlantic Blue Pearl '05 Turbo Baja with the leather package and options galore (including the hard bed cover, which is not entirely watertight). It has only 34K miles (dealer serviced), is in great shape, and hasn't given me a moment's problem. I could add a cap (for @1700 OTD), get the enclosed space I now want, and just wait until 2010 to buy a new Forester, but by then the Baja will have @ 50K miles and I'm guessing that the cap probably won't improve resale/trade value.

So, I've been thinking about looking into leasing an '08 Forester for 24 months - that way, I can turn it in at the end of 2 years, just in time for the 2010 models to be clearing out for the '11s. So far, so good -- I just need to find out what terms are reasonable. But . . . here's the part I don't understand. If I want to do the entire transaction with a Subaru dealer, how do I deal with a trade? I owe about $11.6K on the Baja (at 2.9% - 20 more payments @ $590/mo.). I've never leased a car before.

I would be most grateful for any insight/advice on this - TIA.
  • dcdamedcdame Posts: 24
    Okay, I decided to read this entire thread (which I should have done first) and see that trading a car in a lease transaction is not an issue. I've also gathered that I'd be better off, risk-wise, getting paid any equity and not using it for a down payment.

So, should I shop my trade via various Subaru used car departments and, meanwhile, separately ask for quotes on a lease (i.e., not on the same visit - I could ask for lease quotes via fax and meanwhile visit various Subaru dealerships - there are at leaset a dozen within an hour's drive max). I suspect I'll probably get the best lease offer from the guy who sold me the Baja (his dealership has the lowest price on an LLB), but his dealership already has 3 used Bajas on the lot, so I probably won't get as good a trade offer as I would from one that has zero).
  • Hey carman could you help? I am looking to lease a forester, I want a turbo and leather. The leather I can have put in aftermarket. the one I was looking at was a sports 2.5XT with a auto tranny and a turbo boost gauge and that is it. I build my own and the msrp was $28,870. what are some lease numbers, 36 or 48 months 12, 15k a year. thanks for your help...... I am in Myrtle Beach SC
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Posts: 262
    You would absolutely NOT want to spend the money to put in aftermarket leather in a car that you LEASED, technically you would be violating the lease terms if you ripped out and replaced the upholstery.
    Hi aceonthebeach3. You probably shouldn't install aftermarket leather seats in a leased vehicle. For one, you will never get the money that you paid for them back. Your leased vehicle's residual value is based upon a percentage its base MSRP plus the MSRPs of any factory-installed options. Furthermore, you may not even be allowed to make such a major change to a vehicle that technically is not yours, it's the bank's. If you really want leather, go with a Forester that comes with it.

The lease payment for the Forester that you are interested in will vary depending upon what its selling price is. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. A base '08 Forester 2.5 XT has a spread of around $1,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Plus the Sports 2.5XT has $750 lease cash available on it. That gives you a total of $2,450 to play with during your negotiations. For the purpose of calculating a lease payment for you, I will assume that you are able to negotiate a $1,500 discount. According to my calculations, the zero down, pre-tax monthly payment for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of an '08 Foreter 2.5 XT that has an MSRP of $28,870 and a selling price of $27,370 through Subaru's captive finance company right now the payment would be around $420. With only 12,000 miles per year, this payment would drop to around $413. The 48 month payments for an otherwise identical lease would be $399 with 15,000 miles per year and $388 with 12,000.

Car_man
    Host
  • Does anyone know the money factor and residuals for the 2009 Forester 2.5 X Premium with automatic transmission and PZEV for 24 and 36 (or 39) months?
    I was surprised to already see the special lease for the 2009 Forester on the Subaru site. I didn't think that Subaru would be offering leases for the 2009 model year vehicles until the fall.
  • kbzonkbzon Posts: 13
    Hi Carman, i'm looking to lease a 2009 forester xt limited w/navi MSRP is 31497. selling price is $29500.00 what are the residual for 36 month lease 15k year.

NG
  • shopped for a 09 premium yesterday.
    24 month 10k miles residual's great at, if i recall properly, .76; but MF's not so good at .0023 (5.5% equivalent). 36 months was .62 (give or take a point) and .0019, (4.5%)
  • I reside in NYC and received 2 quotes for a 2009 Forester 2.5X Premium (9FD). I wanted a 36 month/10k/$0 money down (sign and drive) based on a MSRP of about $25K and these were the results:

Dealer #1 (Englewood, NJ): $345 mo/12k yr/ with tax
    Dealer #2 (Long Island City, NY) : $350.23 mo/10k yr

I presented the dealers the lease worksheet, which includes ALL, from The LeaseGuide and asked them for the numbers so I can calculate lease payments and they just did it themselves. I requested again so I can double check the numbers and then they presented me with the above monthly rates. These are based on MSRP not any Adjusted Cap Cost (i don't have a trade-in).

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
  • Carman, can you post the residuals and money factors for a 36 and 39 month lease for the 2009 Forester 2.5X Premium auto trans (9FD) for 10k and 12k miles?
    Much appreciated. Thanks.
  • red927red927 Posts: 118
    Car_man:

Could you please give me the residual and money factor for a 36 month/36,000 lease for a 2009 Forester 2.5X Limited (LL Bean) in New Jersey (7% tax). The MSRP for the vehicle I am looking at is $27,657.

Thanks,

Phil
This discussion has been closed.