Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Lease Questions

Comments

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,251
    Or with some research lease a much more expensive car for the same $'s. Leasing makes the most sense on a higher ticket vehicle with a healthy discount and good lease numbers. The outbacks are hot so discounts are unexciting. Lower priced cars are equally unattractive when you can do better purchasing.
  • cdnj1cdnj1 Posts: 16
    thx again stoopy. i'm not sure the 72 month option is the "cheaper" option with the higher interest rate and extra year of payments. i'm certainly interested in controlling the monthly payments, but its really the total cost that's most important, including the cost of the money.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Forester has better residuals, better rates on the few 09s that are left.

But he's right, these are selling well so there are few incentives to make a bargain lease.
  • Hi all, newcomer here but finding everyone's advice extremely helpful. I'm negotiating a 36 month/12k lease of a 2010 OB 3.6R with sunroof, all weather package, premium audio with bluetooth, auto dimming mirror and cargo net. Offered:

Invoice price of $27,118
    Residual: 54%
    money factor: .00170
    $1399 drive off and monthly of $389.55 + tax = $427.53

Almost $80 better than I was quoted 6 weeks ago, so feel like dealers are starting to give a bit. Would greatly appreciate thoughts on this deal, as well as others' experiences. Trying to negotiate down to $500 under invoice, but I'm liking the deal.
  • I am about to purchase a 2009 OB 3.0 with Nav for $29,500 with bank financing. This is Subaru executive car that has not been titled. Is this price ok? Time is of the essence here!

John
    How many miles?

I'd aim for 10% below the invoice cost of a new one for a program car. Unless it has less than 1000 miles or something.
  • Can anyone provide current lease terms for an Outback 2.5i with the CVT, no options? I am interested in 24, 36 or 42 residual values as well as the money factors. Thank you
  • Greetings statefan. Here's the info that you're interested in.

Subaru's current money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2010 Outback 2.5 with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 53%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00160 and 48%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • A 36 month lease - 12,000 mile lease will come to an end 1-31-10. Finance company wants $15,235 residual, plus tax, plus DMV fees to buy the car. Car has 32,000 miles. Is it a good deal? I think the residual is too high. Please comment.
  • Residuals are always a problem one way or the other. Its fairly rare for the purchase to work in your favor - boosting residual was a known way to lower lease pricing when they were considered good for volume by manufacturers. Look at the residuals $ and % in play now - typically quite a bit lower.

A large number of leases have residuals that are unrealistic in todays market, the problem is the lease company is not interested to drop your price, that reflects on actual resale prices - its typically a different pocket if they take a bath when selling at auction.

Don't know who your lease Co is, but I got the same approach with every lease end in the last few years.

State Tax and DMV fees are unavoidable.

Roos tend to hold their resale price well, so check out the local market for used ones with same spec and miles and decide what a known condition car is worth to you. :D
    I think it's a fair price actually, especially since you're familiar with the previous owner! ;)
  • Wayne, NJ Subaru Dealer -
    According to lease - gross capitalized cost $24,000. According to ALG, Subaru residual percentage is 50% = $12,000. Should residual be around $12,000 or so? Please advise.
  • You can't compare the residual % of today to the one in your current lease.

You accepted the higher residual price to help your monthly payments. The purchase price in your lease is what they will hang out for.

You can offer them less but who knows.....
  • hello, anyone know that lease factor and residual for a 36 month 12k mile a year lease. also anyone have a dealer suggestion in the michigan ohio area?
    thanks
    ryan
  • nickr1nickr1 Posts: 51
    I'm considering the Outback lease but the prices I see are very high for what it is. What am I am missing here, I thought this was an economy AWD, one of the cheapest made today, but $29,000 and over $400 a month for a lease, that seems outrageous for a car like this. When did Subarus and Outbacks become so expensive? Why are there no good incentives? Is this car really that hot, and really worth these prices?

What's the lowest down and lowest monthly they are likely to give on the 2010 3.6R or 3.6R Limited? Thanks.
    Well, keep in mind the average new car is up near $30k (28 something last time I heard a NADA figure), and most of those don't have AWD, usually about a ~$2000 option.

So the average AWD vehicle is probably priced in the 30s. And I think the Outback is nicer than average, especially a 3.6R Limited.

With even the best residuals in the 50% range, you're talking about $13,500 depreciation in 3 years even at 55% residual. Divide that by 36 months and before we even factor interest or anything else, you're at $375 per month.

Sure you can negotiate a bit, but add taxes and fees, and you're back up to $400. It actually sounds about right to me.

The car is definitely hot. Both November and December sales were more than double the year prior.

Consider a Forester, for 2 reasons:

* prices are a bit lower to begin with
    * residuals are fantastic, up to 59-62%
    Okay, but really, in this economy this car sells well for $400 a month lease. really? I would pay $200 for it, that's it. Must be a lot of people still living on credit or willing to default on a lease. Sorry, imho, $400 a month for this car is crazy.
    $199 leases are for stripped base models and often only happen with $4000 down when you read the fine print. And that's before 6% tax (or whatever your state has).

I think you're expectations are way too...low, I guess.

We are talking about a large, loaded, 6 cylinder, AWD, highly sought after vehicle.

For $199 you can lease a small FWD noone wants, sure.

I think they had a Forester lease for $259, but again, with a big down payment, and that's a 2.5X model with plastic wheel covers, no tinted windows, and cloth seats.
    Yeah, I know what $200 a month leases, nothing, and that's because when you pay the large down payment it's way over $200 a month. Leases have become a way for dealers to make huge profits on people who can't get loans or have no down payment for a loan or can't afford a loan which is always way higher per month than a lease. Yes, you own the car if you buy, but what's it worth after you pay off a 5 year loan?

I was talking with a dealer about the Nav, just to talk, I would never buy one. I asked the price, he said $2,000, I said: how about $200, that's what a good Garmin costs, then I added: you people need to get real with your crazy prices. Of course, he doesn't own Subaru.

Just let this economic downturn go on for a year or two or three more, then check back on the price of a Forrester and the Nav, I guarantee you it won't be what it is now.
    OEM Navi is *grossly* overpriced, IMHO. For $2 grand or so most don't even have text-to-speed, and most come with outdated maps the day you buy them. Heck, the $230 updates Subaru sells will buy you a Garmin with more features, and half that amount buys you lifetime updates for it.

Nissan is coming out with a $400 unit with a small screen, but it'll even include a backup cam. That will be game changing. The multi-thousand dollar Navi packages will soon include stuff like myFord Touch offers. I think we'll soon see much better values./buying

Back to leasing...

what's it worth after you pay off a 5 year loan?

For a Subaru, a lot!

I kept my Forester for 9 years, and still got back $5550 (paid $19.2k new).
This discussion has been closed.