Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Lease Questions

Comments

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    But if you just turn in the car and walk away rather than buy, being 'closer to market value' at the end of the lease is irrelevant, no?

I agree, it is completely irrelevant. The catch is your lease must be structured right on the money with the mileage and you have to be able to "defend" the car well over the course of the lease. If you do that, overinflated residual is only helpful. You bascially rent it for loess than your lessor is paying in depreciation.

However, if you don't (defend the car or have the right mileage), the low payment will bite you right in the rear with no way around ;) . Just read some post of desperate people with 20K overmileage and having to pay 20K*0.2=4 grand in mileage fees or buy their used car for some exorbitant amount then you get an idea...

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• I just started the lease of an '08 Outback 2.5i Ltd LLBean with Nav for $368/mo, 0 down, 36mos, and 12000m/yr. Any idea if it's a good deal?
  • 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited, Black, Tint windows, AW Floor mats, lease for 384/36 mths, 15K a year, $16,450 residual-Good deal?

NY state - Ulster County. 36/mnth, 15k miles, $16,450 residual, $384 a month.

Looking to verify it's a good deal?
  • FYI re recent lease. I just leased a 2008 Outback 2.5XT with NAV. 15k miles per year--36 month lease--selling price of $31,550--$7k drive off with lease payments of $310 per month, including tax and license ($286 per month before tax and license)--52.8% residual on MSRP of $35,314. Money factor is .0015. I did the large down b/c I wanted the monthly cash flow to stay low--not recommended in most instances, but works nicely for me. Great car. Realistic residual amounts to slightly higher payment when compared to other comparably priced car I was considering--Infiniti G35--but the Outback offers great reliability and versatility. The Outback will be even more desirable when we get the diesel with 40-50 mpg.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Congratulations on getting your new Outback, socalh2oskier. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Don't forget to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • lbh2315lbh2315 Posts: 6
    2008 Outback Basic
    Auto
    Cargo Net
    Hatch Cover
    Armrest Extender
    Quartz Silver

MSRP - $23,885
    Purchase Price = $20,600
    Cap Cost Reduction = $1,500
    36 mos
    12K/year
    MF = .00140
    Residual = 54%
    Payment of $238/mo. (includes tax)

This was one of the first times I left a dealer thinking I actually got a really good deal. So now I look to the heavens and ask....did I really??!! I have three days to take it back, so if any of you could chime in and let me know it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Three days to take it back?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 1985mb1985mb Posts: 54
    Anyone getting/seeing good deals on Outbacks lately?
  • hdutyhduty Posts: 5
    Hi,

Does anyone know the current residual values for 2008 vs 2009 outback. Are the residual percentages going to make a lease for a 2008 or 2009 more attactive?

I'd like to know what they are for 2.5i, Limited and XT.

Additionally, does anyone know the current money factors being offered?

I should mention that I'm looking in Vermont.

Thanks,
    HD
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Here's the information that you're looking for, hduty. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i with 15,000 miles per year are .00100 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Outback Wagon Limited are .00105 and 53%. The '08 Outback Wagon XT numbers are .00120 and 50%.

On the 2009 model, the 2.5i numbers are .00220 / 57%, the Limited numbers are .00220 / 56%, and the XT numbers are .00220 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
  • I was originally looking for a used 06 or 07 XT outback and the wife was wondering about leasing a new one for 3 yrs. Im shocked how different the XT residual is compared to the normal 2.5i or limited. I assume their is a thread here about that and why its so different?
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    It has to do with both real values (after 3 years) and level of support by the mfr. XT is a low-demand AND low-supply model, which means they sell them only to those who really want them and there is not much demand for it on the used car market (high price, low gas mileage, etc.), which pushes residuals down vs. popular 2.5i. I'm not blaming Subaru for not wanting to support them as much as 2.5i. Keep in mind that even the same percentage translates to more money, as XT is significantly more expensive.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• Hello,

I am getting ready to finalize a lease on a 2009 Outback 2.5 Limited. The terms of the lease are as follows:

1. 36 month
    2. 10K miles per year
    3. Total of $1000.00 out of pocket including tax, tags, etc...
    4. Monthly payment including tax is $361.00 per month

Am I getting a good deal? They say I am getting the car for $26,000.00

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • Car Man,

I was wondering if you had current figures for MF/RV for the above models?

Thank you in advance!

BrnHrnt
  • Car Man,

I'm sorry, I probably should give you some more info. I'm in the Tri-State area so I have access to Subaru of New England and NY/NJ rates. Also, do you have any idea about dealer incentives currently? I can pull the trigger now on the right deal but I'll wait if it looks like better deals coming down the pipe.

Let it snow!!!

BrnHrnt
  • CM,

Last info. I'm looking @ 10,000 mile leases. (Don't use it to commute)

BrnHrnt
  • I sure do, brnhrnt. According to the latest information that I have seen, Subaru's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT without navigation with 15,000 miles per year are .00120 and 48%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 model are .00200 and 54%, respectively.

The numbers for the Outback 3.0R are .00120 / 52% on the 2008 model and .00200 / 55% on the 2009 model.

When negotiating your lease on these cars, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 lease cash that is available on the 2008 model and $500 that is available on the 2009 model.

Car_man
    Host
  • Thanks Car_Man! Do you think there's any benefit to waiting for 11/3 (current incentives expire)? The economy's not looking too hot. Do you think they'll dangle a bigger carrot? How much below invoice do you think '08's should trade for at this point?

BrnHrnt
  • You're very welcome, BrnHrnt. It is always difficult to say what manufacturers' future incentives programs will look like. If you want to lease a 2008 model, the current program might be as good as it is going to get. At some point late in the model year manufacturers usually pull the plug on their lease support for leftover vehicles as it becomes too expensive to provide reasonable payments on them. If you want an '09 model on the other hand, there is a very good chance that the lease program will get better. Again though, it is always difficult to predict exactly what will happen with 100% accuracy.

Car_man
    Host
  • Sound advice! Thanks again. I will post the details if I close a deal.

BrnHrnt
This discussion has been closed.