Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Toyota RAV4 Lease Questions

Comments

• Hey leasearav4. As you mentioned, high residual values result in low monthly payments, so the higher vehicles' residual values are, the better.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Hello Kevin. Shoot for a selling price that is as close to dealer invoice as possible on the RAV that you are interested in. You may be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for one right now by checking out the following discussion: "Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience".

Toyota is providing lease support on this truck, but only in a few of its many regions. I would be happy to give you an idea of what its current program is like if you tell me what state you are in.

Car_man
    Host
  • I live just outside of Philadelphia in Glenside PA - I am looking at a AWD 4 Cyl Rav4 limited (2007) - the current money factor (September) is .00205 and the residual on this model for 36 months 12,000 miles is 57%. Just trying to get a dealers best price - invoice isn't a hard and fast number and it certainly doesn't match the "invoice" price on Edmunds (Edmunds is always lower). Will report back when I get a deal.
  • Thanks for sharing the details of your negotiations, aquinto. I look forward to hearing how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • I finally leased a RAV 4 last night, after a couple of months of research, discussions with dealers and walking out of dealerships. The vast majority of communication was done via email. There were discussions with at least 9 dealers and it is interesting how they operate. Ultimately I struck a deal with DEL Toyota in Thornton PA about an hours from where I live in Glenside PA. The whole process with DEL took less than 24 hours and the best part was approximately only 35 MINUTES in the dealership signing papers!!! DEL was the last dealer I contacted and I provided them with a monthly lease payment calculation and what I wanted to pay for up front (I didn't want any fees rolled into the lease - that way I could verify lease numbers to my calculation). I used the lease calculator on Edmunds - which is accurate despite what some dealers might tell you - the problem is the dealers throw in fees to try and bump up the monthly lease payment. Anyway...

Leased a 2007 RAV 4 Pacific Blue 4 Cylinder Limited 4WD - only options daytime running lights and floor mats.

36 month lease with Toyota Financial Services, 12,000 miles a year (apparently 15,000 miles a year is a 55% residual)

MSRP $25,529, COST CAP (purchase price) $23,747.40, RESIDUAL $14,516.95 (57%), MONEY FACTOR .00205 (4.92%), PA lease tax 9% (on the monthly payment).

Monthly payment including tax is $364.98.

Up front fees 1st months payment of $364.98, acquisition fee $550 (no one would budge on this and some wanted to include it in the monthly lease payment), title $22.50, registration $36, license $10, Doc fee $55, tire fee $5, GAP insurance $200 (negotiated down from $400 - Toyota does not automatically include!), the remaining $73 dollars or so is tax on some of the above items - total out of pocket is $1,316

This was the best deal I could work out and still be married and not drive myself crazy anymore.

TIPS:

1. Educate yourself on how a lease works - it is easy for dealers to move numbers around - most of them want you to say a monthly payment they will surprise surprise match it!

2. If you have any intention of getting a good deal - SHOP AROUND.

3. Dealers are more willing to negotiate if the car is on their lot rather than having to trade (example - I can walk to a Toyota dealer from my house(did not have the vehicle we wanted) but ended up buying an hour away (did have the vehicle we wanted).

4. Don't be afraid to walk out of a dealer - I did and they still get in touch with you afterwards.

5. I wasn't being unrealistic in what I wanted to pay - it became clear early on that the no one was coming close to the "invoice" price on Edmunds. I also wasn't looking to cut into dealer hold back.

6. I not only wanted a price as low as I could get but I also wanted to know how the dealer got to his numbers.

7. Overall, dealers do not appreciate an educated customer - DEL Toyota did and that is why they earned my business

Let me know if there are any questions.
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Here in NY, TFS is advertising a "$2199 down/$249/mo" lease for a base FWD 4cyl. I found one as AWD and was quoted $3500 down and $389/mo! After 2 hours' haggling, I was offered a $2K down and $311/mo 36 mo. lease with 15Kmi/yr. Cheesily, TFS wanted $6/mo for gap insurance! Should I take it? I must add that this month, there seems to be very little incentive support for any vehicle like the RAV4.
  • I am curious what the money factor and residual % for a 2008 Rav4 in Chicagoland Area, Illinois should be?

Looking at a 36 month 15,000 mile a year lease of a 2008 Rav4 4x4 base silver with 17 in Wheels, 50 state emissions, roof rails, daytime running lights and a third row seat.

Appreciate your help.
  • RAV4 2008 V6 Base priced at 2730

4 year lease with a 12000 miles per year and no money down. There offer was 530 for 48 months. Is this reasonable? I live in North wales PA. Thank you very much.
  • When you say no money down are you not including the first lease payment and security deposit?

I think this deal is not very good. When you goto Toyota's website and build a 2008 Rav4 V6 in North Wales PA, you can not get the MSRP up to $27,300. But when you estimate payments on a lease on their website with a rav4 v6 at 26,900 you get a payment of around $383 (although you need to add in tax, but that would only be $30-$40.) Since your goal should be under msrp and $530 seems like over msrp that is not a good deal at all. (as long as your credit is good)
  • Congratulations on getting your new RAV, aquinto. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed message about your lease. Make sure to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others. Enjoy your new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi verdi942. The best way to get a good deal on the new RAV4 that you want is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the exact model that you want and then have the dealer that gives you that price calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

I am not intimately familiar with what the market is like for the RAV4 in New York at the moment, but you are in an area that has a good level of competition. If I was in the market for this vehicle in your neck of the woods, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over dealer invoice or so. Make sure to stop by the "Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles lately.

As I mentioned earlier, once you arrive at a selling price that you are comfortable with have the dealer that you are working with calculate your monthly payment using Toyota Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor. I don't believe that Toyota is currently providing any lease support on the 2008 RAV in your area. As a result, if you were to lease one through TFS right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. This number varies slightly by region, but it should probably be around .00285 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier right now. Toyota is providing lease support on the '07 RAV in its the New York region. Its special buy rate lease money factor for the '07 RAV4 in your area is .00204 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Here's the information that you're looking for, friendlyleaser. I don't believe that Toyota is currently providing lease support on the 2008 RAV4 in your area. If that is the case and you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. TFS' current buy rate standard lease money factor may vary slightly by region, but it should probably be around .00285 or so for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 RAV4 4WD with 15,000 miles per year is 57%. The problem with this resid is that TFS only publishes residual values for base vehicles without any options. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. The calculation of actual dollar residual values for vehicles that are leased through TFS is so complicated that Toyota provides its dealers with a list of the actual residual values for every unit that they have in stock rather than just having them use the percentages to calculate residual values like most other banks do.

Car_man
    Host
  • Greetings boholano. The best way to tell if you are getting a good deal on a leased vehicle is to look at its MSRP and selling price. These numbers show you how much of a discount you are being given. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Shop around for the lowest possible selling price on the RAV that you want and then have the dealer that gives it to you calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

I don't believe that Toyota is currently providing any lease support on the 2008 RAV4. That means if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. Its buy rate standard factor often varies by region, but it is probably currently around .00285 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Toyota is providing lease support on the 2007 RAV in your area right now. TFS' buy rate for the '07 model is currently .00171 in its Central Atlantic region for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • Warning: I am brand new to Edmunds and fairly naive when it comes to car shopping! I am very interested in leasing a '08 RAV4 and I was offered the following lease deal:

Toyota RAV 4 - (base model - 4 cylinder) - OH dealership
    2WD: $322.00/mo lease
    4x4: $324.00/mo lease
    $341.00 down
    36,000 miles

I am turning my current leased vehicle in at a different dealership & it is not included in this deal.

I am a lease person that will turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease and get something different. I have no plans to buy it out at the end.

This sounds like a great deal to me -- but I am worried after glancing through some of the Forums. It sounds TOO good. Anything I could be missing???
  • steevosteevo Posts: 332
    Anyone have the MF and Resid for 24/36 month leases this month with 15k per year? Toyota is advertising so maybe there is now support?
    THanks!
  • verdi942verdi942 Posts: 304
    Toyota generates those numbers on a daily basis for each individual vehicle. The dealer will download and print it out. Ask to see it. I saw such a list when I negotiated my 15K lease a few months ago. Note that, cheesily, Toyota asks $6.00/mo for the gap insurance. Good luck!
  • I leased a 2007 Rav4 in June 2007 in Charlotte, NC. I have very good credit and was given a rate of $2,000 down, $400/month, 48 months. I got the lowest end Rav4, I believe--it's a V4, no 4WD, nothing special inside, no upgrades whatsoever.

Someone asked me what I pay for it the other day and was extremely surprised when I said $400. When I googled this forum came up and I saw that most other people were getting quotes closer to 250/300, with less down, and shorter leases.

What can I do if I got a terrible deal? I'm a young female and am starting to wonder if I was taken advantage of.

The only thing I know is that right after I leased the car it was sold to someone else? I'm not sure what it meant--it was a letter saying that the lease had been sold to someone/someplace in Alabama or something.

Is this lease completely out of wack? Is there anything I can do if it is?

Thanks for any advice!
  • okchicokchic Posts: 1
    does anyone know the current money factor and residual percentage on a 2008 rav4 sport in the mid atlantic? thanks
  • poet663poet663 Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. Normally have bought cars and kept them for a long time, but leasing for the first time. Interested in a RAV 4 Limited V6 with Option Package C and Blizzard Pearl paint. In Bellevue, WA I'm coming up with about $476 per month for a 36-month, 12,000 mile per year lease (based on agreed upon value of vehicle of $29,200). I suppose I can take the assignment fee and Gap insurance cost out of this too...

Money factor is .00245 and residual is 55%.

Feedback? Thanks...
  • budahkanbudahkan Posts: 7
    Any know the current Money Factor and Residual for the RAV4 4WD Sport?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi budahkan. Toyota's lease program for the 2008 RAV4 varies by region. In some regions, its buy rate lease money factor for this truck is as low as .00144. While in others it has no lease support on it at all, causing consumers who want to lease one to have to use its standard lease money factor of around .00235. If you let us know what state you are in, either myself or another knowledgeable community member may be able to give you an idea of what the RAV's current program is like in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • asalliasalli Posts: 1
    I live in South Florida and am interested in leasing a 2008 Limited 2WD V6 Rav4. Do you know what money factor I should be looking for? Also, residual? I'd like to do a 36 month lease with 12K annually, though am considering 15K as well.

New to leasing so any info is appreciated. Thank you!
  • ggmichaelggmichael Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a RAV4 with V6, 2WD, Limited trim package with 12,000 miles (maybe 15,000 miles) 36 month lease. What is the current money factor and residual in Houston, Texas area. Thanks very much.
  • lishafislishafis Posts: 3
    Hello Car Man,
    I live in NY and just leased a Rav4. I wanted to post the details and find out how you think I did on the deal:

Vehicle:
    Toyota Rav4 model 4432
    Base trim 4wd 4 cyl
    Options:
    Roof rack
    Daytime running lights
    Fifty state emissions
    Floor mats
    Cargo nets/cover

My lease payments are $239.00 and I paid a total of $3,097.97 which includes all taxes and fees and first months lease payment. My money factor was 0.00144 and my residual is $14,275. Of the cash out of pocket they put $2,035.00 to reduce the Cap cost.

Did I do ok?

Lishafis
  • ggmichaelggmichael Posts: 2
    I just purchased a RAV4 with V6, 2WD, Limited trim package 36 month lease (12,000 miles, but 15,000 miles had the same money factor) in Houston, TX and the money factor was .00001 and the residual was 55%.
  • I would like to lease a 08 Rav4, base model 4x4. I live in Oregon. I am not in a hurry but would like to know if there are going to be any lease incentives or cash back incentive to lower my lease payments in July or August 08. Would like to pay no more than $1000 up front and around $300/month, would this be possible?
  • thezeddthezedd Posts: 11
    Car Man,

Since GA and TN are in different dealer groups, the finance rates differ. What is the MF and residual for a RAV4 Limited with 15K/yr in Georgia and Tennesee?

Thanks,
    Zed
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi Zed. Georgia is in Toyota's Southeast region. I have not seen Toyota's current lease program for that part of the country. However, I believe that Tennessee is in Toyota's Cincinnati region. If so, I can give you an idea of what the current lease program for the RAV4 is like there. Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Toyota RAV4 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are .00142 and 61%, respectively for consumers in its Cincinnati region who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier.

Keep in mind though that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it very difficult to calculate the actual dollar residual values for vehicles, so much so that Toyota provides dealers with lists of the residual values for the units that they have in inventory instead of having them calculate them on their own. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to estimate what lease payments should be on Toyota models.

Car_man
    Host
  • daddyjakesdaddyjakes Posts: 14
    Car_man

What is the current MF for an RAV4 Sport in the NY/NJ? Would I do better to wait till July or August, or is it impossible to predict?

Thanks
  • eclaixpeclaixp Posts: 46
    Hi, I am in South Florida and looking to purchase a Base RAV4 with V6, 2WD, with 12,000 miles / 36 month lease. What would be the current money factor and residual? Thank you in advance.