Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Jetta Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited February 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Volkswagen Jetta. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• martyt1martyt1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car_man,
    Could you please give me MF and residuals on a 2006 Jetta GLI and a 2006 Jetta 2.0T for both 2 and 3 year leases at 12K/year? Thanks a lot.
  • hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    I'm also interested in the MF/ and residuals for the same term 3yr/15K. On a Jetta GLI at a negotiated price of 26K
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi martyt1. Here is the information that you are looking for. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI or 2.0T (their lease programs are currently identical)through VW Credit right now for 2 years with 12,000 miles per, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00161 and 64%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00161 and 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hintz, the money factors for the car that you are interested in would be the same as the ones that I provided in my earlier post, but its 15,000 miles per year residual values would be 2% lower.

Car_man
    Host
  • clayuofmclayuofm Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about leasing a new Jetta 2.5 package #1, with manual. One of the dealers in my area is offering 2005 new Jetta 2.5 Package 1 with sunroof and alloys for 239/ mo 36 month with 320 down with 36000 miles for the lease. I would like to go for 48 mo 48k miles when I looked at the car before they said going to 48 normally lowers the lease by about $20 a month. So is 219 per month for 48 months with 48k miles a good deal. Also I think i may be able to get it a bit lower as i believe that is based on the MSRP of the car. About what is the cost of gap insurance? Thank you so much!
    Hi clayuofm. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. If the lease that you were quoted is based upon a selling price of full MSRP you have some negotiating to do because Jettas normally sell for much less than that. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what these numbers are.

As far as gap insurance goes, many banks, including most manufacturers' captive finance companies, automatically include gap insurance in leases. You should check with VW Credit directly or your dealer's F&I person to find out of VW Credit does.

Car_man
    Host
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Yes. VW credit supplies gap as part of the lease...my wife leased a 2.5 with no option packs with auto. and xm radio...$ 0 dowm ($600 on credit card at signing for first moth/sales tax and reg fees.) She pays $269 plus $13..00 for sales tax for 48k/48 mo. Do you feel she got a good deal. She leased in mid June !
  • bronxbombersbronxbombers Member Posts: 4
    Im trying to negotiate a deal for a 2006 Passat but thats not going well, the dealer is pushing the 05 Jetta 2.5. We are looking at a MSRP of 24,040 , they offered it to 22,250....Im thinking this could be lower. They said the MF was 1.8% and the residual is 53% with a lease price of $317 for 12k miles year for 3 years. I think this seems pretty high compared to some other posts. Is $260 a month nothing down in the ballpark here. Any help is good help.
    Hi bronxbombers. Sorry to hear about your team. It will be interesting to see what sort of changes good old George has in store for them this winter. Judging by the typical spread that the 2005.5 VW Jetta 2.5L has between its full MSRP and selling price and the $750 lease cash that is currently available on this car, I'd say that the price that you were quoted is right around $500 over dealer invoice. This is not a bad deal, but if dealers in your area are desperate to move their leftover inventory of Jettas you may be able to get this car for a couple hundred dollars less. VW Credit's buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month, 12,000 miles per year lease of this car are currently .00059 and 53%, respectively. This factor is equivalent to an interest rate of around 1.4%. Using these numbers and the prices that you mentioned, an MSRP of $24,040 and a selling price of $22,250, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $285. If you are able to negotiate a lower selling price, this car's payment would drop a little lower than this.

Car_man
    Host
  • 93illini93illini Member Posts: 4
    Car_man,

Have a Jetta coming off lease soon - not soon enough. Trying to understand financial liability if I turn in the car within 90 day of scheduled termination.

Urban myth is that one can turn in the vehicle and - other than exceess mileage/wear & tear and dispositon - there are no other charges. Said another way, I do not have to pay the last couple payments.

Sound right?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Unless the dealer decides to pay the last 3 months of the lease because you are buying another car from them, you will most likely be responsible to pay the remaining payments on your lease. Call the lease company (VW Credit) for specifics. I may be completely wrong.
  • jetskimanjetskiman Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_man,

I was wondering if you could help me out.

I would like to lease a 2006 Jetta 2.5 Value with automatic. The dealer has quoted me $200 over invoice (around $18,937 including destination). I am looking to lease it for 3 or 4 years with 10k miles per year with excellent credit. What would be the MF and residuals for these two scenarios? Thank you in advance!
  • grimdeepgrimdeep Member Posts: 2
    Hi car_man

Just wondering if you know any info re: Canadian lease.

Looking ar the '06 Jetta 2.0 turbo with luxury leather package. Quoted at MSRP $32,375, with OTR $38500, know this is well over invoice. But given $525/mth (incl taxes) with 0 down Looking for 4 year lease know the MF and RV for canadian pricing. 20,000 km per year

Is Canadian and US invoive prices similar?

Thanks for you time.
    Hi 93illini. I am sorry to say that even though you may be able to turn your car in to the bank that you are leasing it through 90 days prior to its scheduled termination date, you will still be liable for your final three months worth of payments. Turning your car in early does not give you the right to skip your remaining lease payments, it only saves you from having to pay insurance on a car that you are no longer interested in driving.

Car_man
    Host
    I'll see what I can do, jetskiman. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 Value Edition through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00174 and 59%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00188 and 53%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi grimdeep. I am sorry to say that I do not follow the Canadian automotive market vary closely and am not sure what the lease program for the Jetta is currently like in your country, nor am I familiar with its pricing there. I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Car_man
    Host
  • jcanaljcanal Member Posts: 4
    Can you lease a certified Pre-Owned car? If so, what are the benefits to leasing a pre-owned as opposed to a new car?
  • grimdeepgrimdeep Member Posts: 2
    Hey no problem Car_man, thought i would at least ask,

but maybe you or someone can just quickly clarify a small detail about Edmunds "TMV pricing report" section, when it shows the "what are others paying" price it includes Frieight or destination charges, but i assume Not all the other fees (eg gas, A/c registration etc) and taxes?

thanks again
  • smiamiguysmiamiguy Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I want to lease a new 2006 jetta (fully loaded), but am suspect of Miami dealers and what they say. Could you tell me what would be reasonable price ranges? (monthly payments?)

Also, I've read in some places that one should negotiate the price of the car, not the monthly payments, to get the best lease deal...could you explain?

THANKS!!!

P.S. Great website!!!! :shades:
    Hi jcanal. Many banks lease Certified Pre-Owned vehicles to consumers. Unfortunately, it often turns out that CPO vehicles have fairly similar lease payments to or even higher lease payments than equivalent brand new models. This is because automakers provide lease support on new vehicles to boost their sales totals and keep their factories humming, but they don't usually provide much in the way of lease support on used vehicles. Of course, there instances when leasing a used vehicle can be a good deal. BMW often has fairly attractive leases available on its CPO vehicles. I don't think that you would be able to get that great a deal on a lease of a used Jetta right now though.

Car_man
    Host
    You are correct, grimdeep. Edmunds.com's TMV numbers include destination charges but none of the other items that you mentioned, like sales tax.

Car_man
    Host
    Welcome smiamiguy. I'm glad that you enjoy this site so much. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

What you heard is absolutely correct. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash or financing them. When you shop around, negotiate as good a deal as possible on the car that you want and then have the dealer that you are working with calculate a lease payment on it using that price.

I would be happy to try to give you an idea of how much it will cost to lease the Jetta that you are interested in. However, in order for me to do so I need some additional information from you first. This info includes the exact model that you want, its full MSRP, approximate selling price, how long you want to lease it for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it.

Car_man
    Host
  • nvnicknvnick Member Posts: 50
    Car_Man -

How about the rates on a 39 mo, 15k miles/yr lease?
  • smiamiguysmiamiguy Member Posts: 3
    Dear carman,

Thanks for the help! I did some research and came up with MRSP for 2006 VW Jetta 2.5L, North Sea Green with dark grey leatherette interior, Package 1, XM Radio, 6-cd $27,000 (roughly). I also found the invoice price for the same to be $24,800...how much, do you recommend, should one ask above invoice?

I'm thinking of 39mo, 15,000 mi/year. Also, what do you estimate the residual value of a Jetta to be?

Thanks again ;)
  • benji123benji123 Member Posts: 104
    I am in the Los Angeles area and I am interested in leasing a 2006 VW Jetta GLI, with an MSRP of $29,580 and a selling price of $28,000. I am interested in either a 24-month, 12,000 mile/year lease or a 36-month, 12,000 mile/year lease. What are the money factor and residual values for each program and what can I expect to pay per month (assuming $0 down)?

Thanks!
    Here you go, nvnick. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T Sedan through VW Credit right now for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00166 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome smiamiguy. I am not personally all that familiar with what the market for the '06 Jetta is like right now, but I suspect that $750 over invoice might get the job done. You may be able to get additional feedback on how much you should pay for this car by visiting the following discussion: "Volkswagen Jetta: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month, 15,000 miles per year lease of a 2006 VW Jetta 2.5L (not the Value Edition) should be .00153 and 55%, respectively. The residual value of a 39 month lease of Jetta 2.5 with an MSRP of $27,000 (this number should include the destination charge) would be $14,850.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello benji123. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00162 and 63%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00162 and 56%. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $29,580, and a selling price of $28,000, I estimate that this car should have 24 month, a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $466 and a 36 month payment of around $390.

Car_man
    Host
  • drjoshdrjosh Member Posts: 1
    Car Man,
    I am nearing the end of my lease on a 2002 Audi A4 and I am planning on continuing to lease. I am interested in a New Jetta, and the current $249/month with $0 at signing (minus fees and such) seems like an attractive deal. Based on my calculations, they are giving a 57% residual (39 months) and a money factor of .00196. I was wondering if the same MF and residual are applicable to the regular Jetta 2.5, or if these numbers are exclusive to the Value Edition. I noticed a couple of posts up that you listed these numbers, but I also noticed that the message was posted in December. Are those numbers the same now? Thanks in advance.
  • belvettebelvette Member Posts: 13
    Car Man,
    Could you give me the current residuals and money factors for 24, 36 & 39 month lease with 20,000 miles per
    year on an 06 Jetta 2.5 or Jetta 2.0 through VW credit.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi drjosh. The regular Jetta's special lease program is actually better than the Value Edition's program right now. If you were to lease a 2006 VW Jetta 2.5 through VW Credit this month for 36 months (its 36 month program is much more attractive than its 39 month program) with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 55%, respectively. When negotiating your lease on this car, keep in mind that Volkswagen is currently providing a $250 bonus for leases of it through VW Credit. It's not much, but every penny counts.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, belvette. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 63%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00080 and 53%. Trust me, you don't want to lease this car for 39 months. It's 39 month lease program is terrible. 15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that VW Credit publishes residual values for. If you need to drive more than this, you will have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

If you were to lease a 2006 VW Jetta 2.0T through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00049 and 60%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease of this car should be .00049 and 52%.

Car_man
    Host
  • tribbletribble Member Posts: 1
    CarMan:
    I am considering the purchase of the referenced Jetta. What credit score qualifies you for the current VW Credit at 3.9% and what is your advice on 'Drivers Option' financing? I am willing to put 10,000 down on a 22,980 purchase price. In your opinion, is it better to expend your cash in this manner or to finance?
    Thanks
    CyT
  • belvettebelvette Member Posts: 13
    Car_Man,
    Thanks for the current leasing info on the 2006 Jetta. Do you know the charge per mile to buy additional miles at least signing through VW Credit?
    Thanks for your help!
  • stadium117stadium117 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man

Love the board you have going here, was wondering if you could help me out with my situation.

Currently I'm about halfway through a 3yr/36,000ml lease on an '04 Jetta. I'm somewhat friendly with the GM of the dealership I got it from so I called him earlier this week to ask him a few questions about my lease and ending it early without penalty. He said they might be willing to buy out my car and then start me on a lease for a new Jetta or Passat, etc. My car right now is under mileage (15K right now, should be at prob 18K) so I have a feeling this is very favorable for them to buy it out.

I was offered to come in and test drive the new Jetta and Passat this weekend and they asked me what I'm looking for if I were to start a new lease … I have a feeling they're going to really try hard to get me in a new car. Ideally, I'd love to end up with a black 2.5 Jetta automatic w/ leather, 6CD, Sirius, power everything, sunroof, winter package, etc. MSRP is $25,480 based on vw.com; not sure of what it would be here in Massachusetts. First, what should I be expecting for numbers? I'm willing to do either 36 or 48 mo at 12,000/yr. Also, would you say the leverage is in my hands? I certainly don't have to do anything on this, but I have a gut feeling this is a rare position where I might be able to really use some bargaining power to get the deal I want. How would you leverage this situation?

Thanks a ton.
  • wesamwesam Member Posts: 13
    Car_Man,

Can I please have the money factor, and residual on a 36 and 39 month lease at
    15k year for a 06' Jetta 2.5L? Also, are there any incentive/rebates available?
    Lastly, what is the acquisition fee?

I am in Wisconsin if that helps.

Thanks,

Wesam
  • g17g17 Member Posts: 45
    HI Car_Man...I have a quick lease question. I'm looking at a 2006 VW GLI. Its got a MSRP of 30,594, and a purchase of 29,315. Can you give me the residuals & money factor for a 24 & 36 month lease with 15k miles/yr? I plan to put $0 down; what would an estimated payment be? I'm in NJ w/ 6% tax.
  • thebrooklynboythebrooklynboy Member Posts: 1
    First, let me compliment you on a fantastic message board. This service is very much appreciated.

I'd like the factors for a 36 month lease (15,000 mile/year) on a 2.0T, Package 3, w/NAV. MSRP=$32055. Sales Price is $30,000.

Thank you.
    Hi tribble. I wouldn't put money down when getting a balloon note on a vehicle, which is what Volkswagen Credit's Driver's Option program is. Put the $10,000 that you have down if you want to get a conventional auto loan, but save your money if you go with the balloon note or a lease. I'm not sure what credit rating one has to have to qualify for the 3.9% rate that you mentioned.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, belvette. I know that VW Credit charges an excess mileage penalty of $0.15/mile on Jettas that are turned in over their mileage allowance, but I am not sure how much of a discount it provides for miles purchased at lease signing. I suspect that it charges around $0.10 to $0.12 per mile, but you will need to check with a dealer to find out for certain.

Car_man
    Host
    I'm glad that you like this discussion so much, stadium117. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 (not the Value Edition) through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 55%, respectively. the numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00137 and 49%.

Despite what you have ben told I actually don't think that you have much leverage in this situation at all. Of course, the dealership that you are working with is going to try its best to get you into a new car. That's what they do. The problem is that it is often fairly expensive for consumers to get out of leased vehicles well before their scheduled end dates. The vast majority of consumers are upside down on their leased vehicles and actually have to pay money to get out of them early. It is possible that you are in the rare position of someone who can actually get out of their lease early at not cost, but be careful that you aren't hurting your bargaining power by having the dealer that you work with bake some of the cost of getting out of your current lease into your new deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, Wesam. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 (not the Value Edition) through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 52%, respectively. For some reason, I don't believe that VW is providing support on 39 month leases of this car right now. VW Credit charges a $575 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. I believe that Volkswagen is currently providing a $250 cash incentives on '06 Jetta 2.5 models that that are leased through VW Credit right now. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating the capitalized cost of the car that you want.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey g17. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta GLI through VW Credit right now for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00072 and 62%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease should be .00072 and 52%. Using these numbers and the prices that you mentioned, an MSRP of $30,594 and a selling price of $29,315, I estimate that this car should have a zero down, pre-tax 24 month lease payment of around $466 and a 36 month payment of around $405.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the compliment, thebrooklynboy. Here is the informaiton that you are looking for. If you were to lease a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T Sedan through VW Credit right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 53%, respectively. Let me know if have any other questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • domcantdrive55domcantdrive55 Member Posts: 3
    OK, so wife and I were desperate to replace a 2000 Jetta that had blown its engine (we're in Montgomery County, Maryland). We went to the closest dealer, test drove one car (the GLI) and were sold on it. The lowdown:

* $1500 down for tax, title, etc (down from $2,000 with $500 loyalty rebate - currently negotiating another $500 after we got a letter in the mail from the dealership for a $1000 loyalty rebate the day after we drove off the lot - DANG!)
    * ~$420/mo for 17,500 miles per year (we were charged $0.08 per mile above the 15,000/yr)
    * We got a 6-spd standard "Deep Black" GLI with pkg 1 and 2 (leather and nav)
    * First 4 oil changes included (every 5k)

Did we get pooched? I don't know - but we're happy with the car. We may have been able to drive off with a BMW or an Acura (or similar) for the same monthly, but we really like Jetta's - and really REALLY like the GLI.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    You never mentioned the selling price.
  • domcantdrive55domcantdrive55 Member Posts: 3
    Final price? Our contract says $28,050 +/- 100 (don't have it in front of me, but it's definitely in the 28's).

btw: 39 mo lease

>d
  • thjattythjatty Member Posts: 14
    I've been offered a deal on a new 2005.5 jetta 2.5 w/auto and package #2 xm.
    MSRP $26,740: offered to me at $21,240.

IS THIS A GOOD OFFER??? :confuse:
  • huskrhuskr Member Posts: 18
    I need the residual and money factor for the 2006 jetta gli. If someone can help me thank you asap please.
  • huskrhuskr Member Posts: 18
    never mind found the info. and leased a 2006 jetta gli premium pkg. #2, spoiler and rubber floor mats for no money down $345 a month (that is including tax, no other fees). It is a two year lease, 10,000 miles a year. Lease rate .00061 and 65%. Cost of the car was 29,058. Sale price was 25,927 plus $500 rebate.
This discussion has been closed.