Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,398
    Sign and drive for $314/mo.?

Sounds like a good deal for a Passat.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I was thinking so, i really hate overpaying and being taken advantage of. Let me ask you, is there such a thing as paying the destination charge on a lease? I dont think so because one dealership was trying to put that in and i refused to pay it. So, i went to another dealership and worked out the right deal and it came with the ipod accessory, which i didnt care about, and because of that i was able to get them to throw in the all weather mats and the cargo tray for the truck, which i know i will use....

I really wish the Komfort came in manual, it would make the car so much more fun, dont you think?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,398
    A lot of dealers try to add in additional fees, after you've negotiated a price.. It's just a tactic to get you to pay more for the car..

The destination fee is part of the price of the car.. It's on the sticker, and on their invoice... Trying to add it after the price has been negotiated is no different than trying to add an extra $1000 for the sunroof (that's on the sticker and invoice, too, right?).

The only legitimate fees are:

acquisition fees on leases... these go to the bank.. they can be rolled into the lease payment, though..

Government fees: Title, license, tire tax, etc..

Most dealers also add some sort of document fee.. ostensibly for doing the paperwork (like they could sell cars without doing the paperwork?). These are mostly BS, also, but I don't squawk much if it's under $100, and nothing else weird is showing up. CA restricts doc fees to $55, Ohio $250, NY $45 (I think)... GA and FL are famous for the $399-$699 doc fee.. Not sure how that got started..

Manual tranny would be great... The only way for me to get one anymore, is to buy a car my wife wouldn't drive, anyway... :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bjssbjss Posts: 51
    Hi reduced payment...I'm going in this week to lease a Passat Komfort. Sounds like you got a great deal. A few questions - assume this is a sedan and not a wagon? Was Gap insurance included in price? What was the Cap cost? Money Factor used? Thx.
  • Hey there Bjss,

Thanks for your message.

I think i am getting a great deal because all other dealers would not include any amenities....

This is my first lease, so regarding the GAP insurance that is a great question and I will be sure to bring it up when i go to pick up the car.

As for the cap cost, i beleive it was around $23000, basically the selling was $28600 (approx) and then VW is having some great rebates, PLUS you negotiate.... I was taken into a private room to discuss the deal as they did not want anyone else to hear the offer i was getting....

As for the Money factor, what do you mean? Are you asking whether I would be putting any money down?

A few recommendations, sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too, BUT you can do the same. The dealership where I am finally getting my car, the guy is very nice and I told him the other dealership started playing with numbers too much and I didnt like it, so i tried him and I told him the "price the other dealership gave me" which was the price i really wanted to pay, and he accepted and i requested he include the all weather mats and he said sure.

I cant wait to pick up the car, the turbo is awesome. :shades:

My price also did include an owner loyalty, my sister owns a 2003 passat and is registered at the same address as me, SO that offers an additional incentive.

Let me know what other questions you have, I would really love to help anyone out if possible. Also, if anyone lives in the NY area, i would not mind helping with the wheeling and dealing. :)
    Glad to hear you got such a good deal....I'm planning on bringing the same numbers you got to my dealer tomorrow. I currently own another VW (2002 Passat Wagon), love it and would like a new sedan. Looks like owner loyalty rebate is ~2K - is this what you got? Also, I am new to leasing, but I believe the Money Factor is the interest rate you will be paying for the lease (usually described in numbers like .00031, then you have to multiply by 24 to get the 'true APR).
  • jay2001jay2001 Posts: 19
    reducedpayment
    You said "...sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too...".
    That's an odd statement coming from someone who in the same sentence admits to cheating and lying to the "nice" salesman. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses, don't you?
    Being in sales myself (not auto though) I must conclude that people who use "reducedpayment" as their forum handle are themselves, well, "scum".
  • Dear Jay,

Thanks for the compliment..... maybe i can be considered like robin hood? Why put the money in the pocket of the company that makes million, its better in mine, so if it is to my benefit, why not? The salesman can be nice, by being straight and up front, but he always has something in his sleeve, or at least i think with car buying this is the thought process a person needs to have..... otherwise a person is asking to get ripped off (even if it is for $5 a month)

Maybe i should rephrase my statement? But you can call me "scum" if you wish, however if i am getting what I am looking for and not getting jipped for it or at least getting the best bang for my buck, then i could care less what you call me....

Go ahead pay what you wish for the car, but the buying experience is a game, whether you wish to admit/realize it or not, you either play or get suckered, my question is which do you prefer? and then depending on your answer, my next question is "do you really think the sales person cares to give you the best deal possible? (not matter how nice and "genuine" they are)

My choice is to play the game and if i cannot win i dont buy.......
  • Dear Bjss,

Thanks for the info on the money factor, i will definitely look into it and let you know....

The owner loyalty rebate is for 2K, this is one of the rebates i ended up with....

I would actually like to bring everyones attention to the April 2008 Consumer reports guide which talks about "2008 best and worst cars"... in the "Family category", which is where the Passat is classified, it is in the Least Reliable column, which kills me because it seems like a good car and many people i know with older models love the car.... The Prius, Sonata (4 cyl), Camry Hybrid , Dusion and Milan are considered to be most reliable in that category....

What do you think about this?

As for fuel economy, it does state the passat 2.0t as have a great MPG at 24 MPG average...

Also, the father of a 4 yr old and a new born due in 3 weeks, it crash test ratings to help me feel comfortable....

As always, different cards meet different life styles, always do your research and determine what is best for you...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi jake555. Volkswagen is currently providing $750 lease cash on the 2008 Passat 2.0T. So a selling price of $500 under invoice is really equivalent to $250 over, which is still a very attractive price. Also, in mid-February Volkswagen raised its owner loyalty cash on this car from $1,500 to $2,000. Keep this in mind if you have not finalized your deal yet. This looks like a pretty good deal to me, just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor of .00023 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business. Volkswagen's money factor for 48 month leases of this model is much worse than its 36 month factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi scottinky. Volkswagen is currently providing a $750 cash incentive on leases of 2008 Passat 2.0T models through VW Credit. In addition to this, it has a $2,000 cash incentive for just about everyone (loyal customers or current owners of other vehicles). Make sure that you take this $2,750 in cash incentives into account when you negotiate the selling price for the Passat that you are interested in.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi 6422130. Volkswagen Credit's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 VW Passat 2.0T Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00023 and 50%, respectively. I don't think that Volkswagen is offering support on 39 month leases of this car, but I could be mistaken. When negotiating your lease on this car keep in mind that Volkswagen is currently providing a total of $2,750 in cash incentives on it. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • I am upset only because of the "OWNER LOYALTY TO VW" I have owned 2 audi through VW Credit and my sister had a VW passat 4 years ago, and I went now from an Audi to a Passat and I do not get any owner loyalty because it is not a VW car still same manufacturer and VW credit but I dont get it should I try to fight for it???
    Hi review1000. Unfortunately, the fact that your sister had a Passat several years ago will not help you qualify for the owner loyalty cash. The fact that you have leased or financed an Audi through Audi Financial Services might, if you still currently have the vehicle. Even then I am not sure that it would. If I am not mistaken though, I believe that in addition to owner loyalty cash, Volkswagen has $1,500 "conquest" cash for current owners of competitive vehicles who lease or finance a Passat through VW Credit. If you don't qualify for the $2,000 loyalty offer, you probably would qualify for the conquest cash.

Car_man
    Host
  • I understand CAR Man, what you are saying. I just thought I just returned my Audi end of lease and VW Credit had to do the inspection of the car also. so that is why I dont understand why I do not get anything for at least staying with the family.
    thank you,

I am going to keep hounding VW Credit. I will keep you posted.
  • ibeme78ibeme78 Posts: 1
    Hi Reducedpayment - it seems like you got a great deal!

I'm in the NY area (long island) and I'm looking for a 2008 Passat Komfort. We currently have an '04 passat, so we'd get the loyalty discount, too.

I'm wondering which dealers you went to and ultimately used, and how else you can possibly help.

Also, do you think the recent interest rate drop will even lower the payments?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Still waiting for a response from the dealer on a Passat lease. You would never know the auto industry is in a slump by my experience so far. While I was having work done on my current 02 passat wagon, I visited with the salesman (that sold it to me in 2002), told him I was interested in leasing another. He promised to email me the details by end of day. No response. 2 days later, back in dealership to pick up my passat (had timing belt replaced), saw him again, he was very apologetic, said he totally forgot' and would send me an email by end of day. 3 more days go by, no email. I sent one to the dealership today...the salesman sends back a 'form letter email' asking me what car I am interested in, etc...is this crazy or what? Business must be good for him....I think it's time to move on to another dealer (or at least Salesperson).
  • rmw1rmw1 Posts: 1
    Would the Residual Value be different from a Passat Komfort to a Lux Edition. The dealer wants to charge me over $50 per month more, being that the MSRP difference is around 1800. I am actually getting an exceptional deal on the Komfort I am getting the car for 36 mths for 325 with taxes and 15000mi/yr. My guess is because the dealer doesn't have any Lux in stock he wants to convince me to go for the Komfort. Does anybody know if the Residual Value is actually different on any of these two versions to make up for the difference?
  • thailuxthailux Posts: 7
    I jsut got a 2008 Passat Komfort - Heated Seats & iPod Adapter.

MSRP - 29014
    Base Cap Cost - 26500
    Incentives - 1850
    Money Factor - .00023
    Residual - 50%
    Sales Tax - 7%
    Monthly Payment - 311
    36/12k

No money down and no out of pocket.

Sound good?
    Sounds pretty good to me. Question - is the residual value based on the MSRP or the Cap Cost? Looks like MSRP
    Yes, seems like it. Though, and I hate to admit this, I'm not sure.

And, if based on the MSRP, it would make the monthly payment lower, correct?
    Correct - and running your numbers through the Lease calculator on Edmunds, it looks like it is based on the MSRP. Enjoy your Passat!
  • shtutmanshtutman Posts: 2
    Please tell me where you got such a deal : $311 with no money out of pocket with 12,000 miles a year for 36 month.
    I am a current Jetta owner and best deal I have is $322 with 10,000 miles and dealer is paying my last payment on Jetta which is $215
    I am in the Albany area in upstate NY.

If you're not in the area, here's my advice - Just be stern, strong-willed and patient. They started me at 340 per month and taxes and fees down. They also said they had to charge extra because they didn't have my car on the lot. I told them I didn't want anything down, so they removed it. (They keep going back and forth to their manager - it's mostly for show! I used to never bargain like this for cars and probably got fleeced a few times, but this time I went in with a plan.)

They kept saying $340 was all they could do, so I pulled out my research. I had looked earlier in the day and found out that other dealers in the area had the Passat in the color I wanted - one dealer had 7! So, I basically said, "Tell me why I should pay you extra for the car, when I can go to the other dealers and buy it straight?" Immediately, they went down to $325. They kept trying to meet in the middle. This is where you have to be patient and willing to leave. I just kept waiting them out and saying that I didn't want to pay extra for the color, etc. etc. Eventually, after many trips, they pulled the "If I can get you this price will you sign tonight?" I said sure and the rest is history.

With your trade, you should get $2000 in incentives so you should do fine. I traded in a car, so that helped, but the $2000 is a great deal. My Father-in-law just did better than me a day later on Long Island. He got the same car, with the all-weather mats, for $309 nothing down or out of pocket. He was turning in a Jetta as well. The dealer took one payment and he had to pay the other. So, I think you're in good shape. Just be strong, persistent and willing to leave. Have another dealer as a backup plan.

Good Luck!
  • shtutmanshtutman Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Tjank you for your reply.
    If you can let me know which dealer on Long Island your Father in Law was dealing with?
    I'm so sorry to be so late in replying!

My father-in-law got his Passat at King's Volkswagen in Brooklyn. He said he didn't even have to bargain, the salesman just offered the $309 price.

Good Luck!
  • mnvw06mnvw06 Posts: 2
    Yesterday, I got 08 VW passat LUX for $345/pm 36 months lease with protection kit, $0 out of pocket and first two services free!!! This was after loyalty money. :)
    Sounds like a great deal. What dealership did you use?
  • carrerahcarrerah Posts: 23
    Hi, I'm thinking about leasing a Passat Wagon - the deals just seem to good to pass up right now! Quick question on your numbers. Wouldn't your payments actually be higher if the residual was based on MSRP vs a negotiated (lower) cap cost? Also, it's been awhile since I had a VW or financed through VCI. I was planning on going in and starting at below invoice and trying to get the buy rate money factor vs the advertised .00030. Any thoughts here are apprecited. In Norther California - plenty of cars on the lots...
    The deals do seem pretty good right now...and I don't think it's changing anytime soon. I'm not the leasing expert, but I beleive the residual value (in % terms) is based off of the MSRP. Your monthly payments would be based on the difference between your Cap cost (negioated rate) and Residual value (+Money Factor). Edmunds has a good leasing calculator..it's worth cehcking out. Now, if I could just get my VW salesperson to return my emails/calls..... :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.