Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Lease Questions

Comments

• ny_wpny_wp Posts: 2
    compared to mine thats an excellent deal, I got a quote of 36moX382 for 12k with 1300 total down & msrp of 26990 of komfort trim with heated seats

so how did you negotiate? I think my dealer has excess inventory so i'm in good position.

thanks
  • greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    I had never leased a car. When buying a car we can negotiate the purchase price. But for lease, can you also negotiate the base price of the car on which the lease payment is calculated? And the otehr terms like milges/ per year, APR and down payment? For lease it's probably more tricky because when the purchase price is not good you can simply walk away and go to see another dealer or brand.
  • ok here it is, I had 4 dealers I was working with, first to see right off who would give me the best price, also i mentioned i did research on Edmunds and know what they are selling for. I also did NOT state i was leasing at first but then later told them, but not much for prices changed. I started at one dealer he said price was for 428. month 0 down and 12K. I snickered, and said thank you and bye.
    so now I had 3 others to go with. one my wife just hated the sales man he was low but very arrogant, I have lowest prices and now one can beat me. then said are you gonna buy this car or not, so later I said, "NOT"
    now we have 2 dealers, one my wife really liked the salespersonlady, oh how she seemed so caring for our needs, I told my wife dont be suckered inn she is still a sales person. while my wife was working with her i had a side deal with the last dealer, who right off the bat gave me a great deal no negotiating.
    My wife said that the person made her lowest offer and the next day i said to her how about goinh ten dollars cheaper on the monthly payments and go into holdback to make it happen she said the typical ill get back to you, and guess what she went 10 less, I said to my wife if she already said it was lowest she could go then why and how did I get ten dollars cheaper??? So the other dealer was already 15 less than her and I said we will go with you if you also throw in rubber mats for winter and rain FOR FREE!!! no added price since i asked him for all the numbers and he gave them all to me before i asked for free mats.
    So here is the deal i worked out.
    I got a 2008 KOMFORT Passat (NOT A BASE MODEL) fully loaded of MSRP 28,854. dealer invoice 24,612. purchase price of car for me 23,012. and what ever he did the payments are 266.00 with 10K per year, (that is all we need ) we have a second car. the only thing I am sure they got me on was a doc fee for 299.00 was prebuuit in the lease contract. I am sure and know they made out also but as long as my payments are where i want them I am happy, and my wife is also, Now we are going from a 2004 leased Audi a4 with buyout of 15,897, to just returnung that to the dealer and going into this VW. it is bigger, smoother ride and fun to drive also. alot more leg room in rear.

email me if you need a one on one with questions, review1000@yahoo.com
  • greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    I think you did great. The08 Komfort has the MSRP 27900 and Invoice of 26064 on its national base price tag without any options. And you got dealer invoice 24,612 and purchase price of car for you 23,012 on a fully loaded one. That's incredibly good and the best deal I have read and are like the price for the 2.0T base model price without options. Would that price be good if purchase instead of lease? I guess it was.
  • jack108jack108 Posts: 1
    sounds like you did really well, you put down 2,000 right?
  • yes it was a lease only, and dont know what it would of been buying it,
    Yes I did put 2000. down which we did not want to do but it worked that way for us, each 1000 only raised or lowered it by 26 dollars.
    Really I dont know if we reaLLY got a good deal or not.
  • jay2001jay2001 Posts: 19
    That seems like a great deal.
    Did the $2000 include drive off fees (1st month , plates, etc) ? Is it a 39 or 36 months lease?
    Thanks for the info.
  • 64221306422130 Posts: 41
    I am interested in the sign and drive deal. The base model appears to be $329/12K. Was wondering if the residual % and money factor are the same for the Komfort and Lux models/ Also, is there a similar (lower monthly) on 39 months?

Thanks!
  • I just leased a Komfort Passat for 36 months/ 12,000 miles
    heated seats, rear airbags, window tint
    adjusted cap cost 25554
    money factor .00023
    no sales tax (military family will register in NY where there is a sales tax deferment)
    payment is 322.00 per month
    1st month's payment was made by VW Credit
    this deal was done at Findlay VW in Las Vegas, NV and we were able to negotiate everything over email and drive down and get the car.
    Sales person was John Coats.
  • So i went back and forth, i hate car shopping, it always causes a headache, I never want to hear someone getting a better price than me, i just dont want to be scammed by these car sales people....

So my final selling was based on 2 options:
    1) $1900 down (basically to cover fees) and $256 a month for a 36 month lease at 12000 miles a year

OR

2) $0 down and $314 a month for a 36 month least at 12000 miles a year

I think i am going with the $314 a month.

Yes this is for the komfort, with heated seats, i pod connection and i was able to get them to thrown in a cargo tray and the wall weather mats....

do you think thats a reasonable price?

I hope so because i tried to get another dealership to beat this offer, and i couldnt....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    Sign and drive for $314/mo.?

Sounds like a good deal for a Passat.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I was thinking so, i really hate overpaying and being taken advantage of. Let me ask you, is there such a thing as paying the destination charge on a lease? I dont think so because one dealership was trying to put that in and i refused to pay it. So, i went to another dealership and worked out the right deal and it came with the ipod accessory, which i didnt care about, and because of that i was able to get them to throw in the all weather mats and the cargo tray for the truck, which i know i will use....

I really wish the Komfort came in manual, it would make the car so much more fun, dont you think?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    A lot of dealers try to add in additional fees, after you've negotiated a price.. It's just a tactic to get you to pay more for the car..

The destination fee is part of the price of the car.. It's on the sticker, and on their invoice... Trying to add it after the price has been negotiated is no different than trying to add an extra $1000 for the sunroof (that's on the sticker and invoice, too, right?).

The only legitimate fees are:

acquisition fees on leases... these go to the bank.. they can be rolled into the lease payment, though..

Government fees: Title, license, tire tax, etc..

Most dealers also add some sort of document fee.. ostensibly for doing the paperwork (like they could sell cars without doing the paperwork?). These are mostly BS, also, but I don't squawk much if it's under $100, and nothing else weird is showing up. CA restricts doc fees to $55, Ohio $250, NY $45 (I think)... GA and FL are famous for the $399-$699 doc fee.. Not sure how that got started..

Manual tranny would be great... The only way for me to get one anymore, is to buy a car my wife wouldn't drive, anyway... :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bjssbjss Posts: 51
    Hi reduced payment...I'm going in this week to lease a Passat Komfort. Sounds like you got a great deal. A few questions - assume this is a sedan and not a wagon? Was Gap insurance included in price? What was the Cap cost? Money Factor used? Thx.
  • Hey there Bjss,

Thanks for your message.

I think i am getting a great deal because all other dealers would not include any amenities....

This is my first lease, so regarding the GAP insurance that is a great question and I will be sure to bring it up when i go to pick up the car.

As for the cap cost, i beleive it was around $23000, basically the selling was $28600 (approx) and then VW is having some great rebates, PLUS you negotiate.... I was taken into a private room to discuss the deal as they did not want anyone else to hear the offer i was getting....

As for the Money factor, what do you mean? Are you asking whether I would be putting any money down?

A few recommendations, sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too, BUT you can do the same. The dealership where I am finally getting my car, the guy is very nice and I told him the other dealership started playing with numbers too much and I didnt like it, so i tried him and I told him the "price the other dealership gave me" which was the price i really wanted to pay, and he accepted and i requested he include the all weather mats and he said sure.

I cant wait to pick up the car, the turbo is awesome. :shades:

My price also did include an owner loyalty, my sister owns a 2003 passat and is registered at the same address as me, SO that offers an additional incentive.

Let me know what other questions you have, I would really love to help anyone out if possible. Also, if anyone lives in the NY area, i would not mind helping with the wheeling and dealing. :)
  • bjssbjss Posts: 51
    Glad to hear you got such a good deal....I'm planning on bringing the same numbers you got to my dealer tomorrow. I currently own another VW (2002 Passat Wagon), love it and would like a new sedan. Looks like owner loyalty rebate is ~2K - is this what you got? Also, I am new to leasing, but I believe the Money Factor is the interest rate you will be paying for the lease (usually described in numbers like .00031, then you have to multiply by 24 to get the 'true APR).
  • jay2001jay2001 Posts: 19
    reducedpayment
    You said "...sales people can and usually are scum, they will lie through their teeth if they have too...".
    That's an odd statement coming from someone who in the same sentence admits to cheating and lying to the "nice" salesman. You know what they say about people who live in glass houses, don't you?
    Being in sales myself (not auto though) I must conclude that people who use "reducedpayment" as their forum handle are themselves, well, "scum".
  • Dear Jay,

Thanks for the compliment..... maybe i can be considered like robin hood? Why put the money in the pocket of the company that makes million, its better in mine, so if it is to my benefit, why not? The salesman can be nice, by being straight and up front, but he always has something in his sleeve, or at least i think with car buying this is the thought process a person needs to have..... otherwise a person is asking to get ripped off (even if it is for $5 a month)

Maybe i should rephrase my statement? But you can call me "scum" if you wish, however if i am getting what I am looking for and not getting jipped for it or at least getting the best bang for my buck, then i could care less what you call me....

Go ahead pay what you wish for the car, but the buying experience is a game, whether you wish to admit/realize it or not, you either play or get suckered, my question is which do you prefer? and then depending on your answer, my next question is "do you really think the sales person cares to give you the best deal possible? (not matter how nice and "genuine" they are)

My choice is to play the game and if i cannot win i dont buy.......
  • Dear Bjss,

Thanks for the info on the money factor, i will definitely look into it and let you know....

The owner loyalty rebate is for 2K, this is one of the rebates i ended up with....

I would actually like to bring everyones attention to the April 2008 Consumer reports guide which talks about "2008 best and worst cars"... in the "Family category", which is where the Passat is classified, it is in the Least Reliable column, which kills me because it seems like a good car and many people i know with older models love the car.... The Prius, Sonata (4 cyl), Camry Hybrid , Dusion and Milan are considered to be most reliable in that category....

What do you think about this?

As for fuel economy, it does state the passat 2.0t as have a great MPG at 24 MPG average...

Also, the father of a 4 yr old and a new born due in 3 weeks, it crash test ratings to help me feel comfortable....

As always, different cards meet different life styles, always do your research and determine what is best for you...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi jake555. Volkswagen is currently providing $750 lease cash on the 2008 Passat 2.0T. So a selling price of $500 under invoice is really equivalent to $250 over, which is still a very attractive price. Also, in mid-February Volkswagen raised its owner loyalty cash on this car from $1,500 to $2,000. Keep this in mind if you have not finalized your deal yet. This looks like a pretty good deal to me, just make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses VW Credit's current buy rate lease money factor of .00023 to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business. Volkswagen's money factor for 48 month leases of this model is much worse than its 36 month factor.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
This discussion has been closed.