Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra VS Ford F-150

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Posts: 1,006
    Are you trying to make a funny? If so...it's verrrry weak!
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    You have to lay an egg sometimes otherwise life gets dull. I agree--it was weak.
    What's with all these Tundra topics. BTW, there seem to be more big3 owners in them than Tundra owners. Why is that? Any thoughts?
  • smcpherrsmcpherr Posts: 114
    Simple... There are more of us Big3 owners around due to the Big3 vehicles being more popular than the Tundra. Since our trucks are so well built and haven't seen the inside of a repair shop save for the occasional oil change, we have a lot of time on our hands. Might as well bag on the young pup who hasn't earned his spurs yet. At the very least it keeps work interesting. ;)
    I read your profile. Seems we have alot in common. You have a degree in mechanical engineering and I'm a airframe/powerplant engineer. Your girlfriend is going to med school and so is my wife. You don't hang glide, do you?
    Ha! I wish! No, never been hang gliding. Not that I wouldn't, but I never had the time for that kinda stuff until recently. Now I am looking for a new "hobby" with my girlfriend in med school. Seems that there is a lot of free time on my hands lately... What year is your wife? My girlfriend started last fall.
    She is actually enrolling in a Physician Assistant program at U. C. Davis. She's been working on her premed classes and now has the mandatory preceptor lined up. She's thinking about switching and being an MD since the governing body her in CA may raise the bar on the PA degree to a masters anyway.
    BTW, look at ushga.org.......It'll list the hang gliding instructors/schools in your area. A hang glider on top of that Ford will look great!
  • No offense, but I highly scrutinize a 5.4l Ford having 400 lbs torque solely with bolt-on's. Even if all those bolt ons produced exactly what they claim, you will lose most of that through the drivetrain before it hits the pavement.

Bolt-ons help, but I wouldn't go around claiming the increases you state.
    Hey, I know a few people at UC Davis! My girlfriend is from that area (up by Chico). Its been a while since I've been there. Always loved the weather down in LA, but the "smog-alert" days always gave throat infections (docs said I was allergic to the pollution... only in LA can someone be allergic to air) so I was glad to leave. Tell me, does your wife refer to watching "ER" as research study? Thanks for the hang gliding site, I'll check that out. Sure would beat sitting around all weekend long watching TV.

Need something about trucks... Oh, I am glad to see that the winter blend gasoline is leaving. Gas mileage is quickly picking up. I'm guessing about 16 for this tank. F-150, 5.4L auto, 4wd, 3.73, 17" 265's, mostly rush hour city driving (stop, stop, stop, and go).
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    You can tell I haven't been around lakes much, but when you back a truck down a boat ramp, or pull your boat up one, does the water level ever get up over the rear axle of the truck?
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Toyota does not offer a limited slip. And for those who really use their trucks as trucks, to haul, pull, tow ect... Limited slip is very important. The F150 is the best seller for a reason, options, options, options,
  • tp4unctp4unc Posts: 437
    It has never happened to me but I'm sure it's happened to others. I saw a brand new Ford Mustang roll COMPLETELY in the water at High Rock lake a few(actually several) years back. One should always put the vehicle in park BEFORE exiting. It works alot better that way.
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    Never saw it "over" the axle, but have seen the water level half way up.

Depends on the angle of the ramp and water level.

On the maiden voyage of my friend's boat at lake hopatcong in nj, we put the boat in the water, parked his truck and when we got back to the boat, it was semi-submerged in the lake.
    DON'T FORGET YOUR DRAIN PLUG!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Posts: 1,352
    As an avid boater the answer is ...... it depends. The factors are usually how steep the ramp is and how deep the water is at the launch site. I've been on ramps were the back tires of the truck never had to touch water and I've been on ramps that were like a driveway to were I had to have all four wheels in the water up to the door sill. Make sure the diff vent hose is high enough and you're all right.
  • rooster9rooster9 Posts: 239
    Maybe the reason there's not many Tundra owners here is because they are out having fun with their trucks while the big 3 driver's truck is in the shop, so they have all this time on their hands. Just kidding. Could be true though!
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    I wonder how many vehicles, cars and trucks foreign and domestic are sold yearly just in the USA.I would think its close to 7 million.
    But think that over 2 million trucks sold just counting Four. That a hell of a lot of trucks. In the top ten pickups alone there were 3.2 million sold. I'd say 7 million vehicles may even be a bit shy.
  • barlitzbarlitz Posts: 752
    You are probably right,imagine all that money the car manufactures make.And this year they'll probably sell more than last year.
    McDonalds sells billions of burgers. Does that mean their hamburgers are the best quality?
    No, it doesn't mean that McD's burgers are the best burgers. However, if you want a better burger, you will pay more for it. No place that sells burgers comes to mind as selling a cheaper, better quality burger than McDs. But, there is no guarantee that a more expensive burger will be better quality, as McD's huge sales volume allows them to sell their burgers cheaper than if they were a single store rather than a multi-national corporation.

Does Ford selling more trucks mean that they are better? No, of course not, although some think so. Does Toyota's being more expensive mean that it is better quality? No, of course not, although some think so. It all comes down to what is perceived to be the best all-around package by the person with the money.

Ford's F-150 outselling every vehicle is an indication that more people felt that the F-150 was the best possible investment for their money. Whether that decision was researched or not is not important.
  • pchengpcheng Posts: 165
    There's a place south of Tacoma, WA on Pacific Hwy South called Fruggles (This was back when I was in college: I think it's still there). They had better burgers that were cheaper than McD's. Just thought you would like to know ;).
  • gmacegmace Posts: 31
    The F150 would be my choice. It is engineered in the USA. I want my kids to have a future in engineering and Toyotas are designed in Japan. If I didn't care about the future of our county, I would buy a Toyota. Hell, the kids could just get jobs installing batteries or bolting some parts together in the Toyota truck plants.

Should we give the Japanese kids the higher standard of living in the world economy? No!

Safety is another factor to consider. Heavier and stronger is better. I would rather be in a collision in an F150 than a Tundra. Don't forget, the crash ratings are only valid for comparing vehicles within 500 lbs of each other. (Not that Toyotas have 5 star ratings, anyway) Think of a head on collision involving a 3000 lb vehicle and a 4000 lb vehicle. Which vehicle will experience more negative acceleration? Give me mass any day. Heavier is also safer for towing, all things being equal.
    I've eaten their burgers many times. My favorite was to have them grill the onions. I lived just off 96th st on patterson. Oh, and tarter sauce with the fries is the only way to go. ;)
    My Tundra was less expensive than the 1/2 Ford I looked at. As an engineer It hurts my head to see the disparity in size between the outside and the inside of the ford. Lots of dead space in the f-150 is the result of function following way behind form. The Tundra is smaller on the outside but nearly identical in interior room. It is also quieter thanks to thicker glass and layers of bonded composite material inside the doors and floor pan. It pulls more lateral G's on the skid pad, gets better gas mileage with more HP/torque and has identical crash test ratings as the larger, heavier Ford. The rear seats in the ford also have no head protection in a rear end crash.
    Sorry, but the Tundra was designed and built by an American engineering team. The engine is, however, totally japanese at this time. They will be produced in the U.S. starting this fall. Dodge rams are made in Mexico, Silverado in Canada and Ford F-150 is split between U.S. and Mexico, but is expected to continue sending jobs south. If you think your helping your kids by purchasing a domestic brand, your living in a fantasy.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Posts: 394
    If you look at comparably equipped trucks, the Ford is much less expensive. Not even having to take into account the fact that you can buy a Ford at invoice. Try that at a Toyota dealership.
  • RoclesRocles Posts: 985
    rwellbaum2,

The F-series are made in Canada and USA. The Chevy and Dodge are split with Mexico.
    By the way, Which Ford were you comparing the Tundra with that you found more expensive? The only way that was possible is if the Ford had more features and a bigger engine. Check any price list around and compare like-models and you will find the Toy always more expensive. The Ford has been the best buy for any full-size.
    Dead space due to form over function? Well that is quite unfounded and subjective.
    Pulls more lateral g's on a skid pad? Which Salesman told you that gibberish?
    Quieter because of "thicker glass and bonded composite material"?? Hmmm...Sounds like the brochure.

Hey, be happy with your Toyota but don't use smoke and mirrors to dress it up and roar over Ford owners. None of your points give the Tundra any advantage.
    Got my info from consumer reports, motor trend and 4x4&offroad magazines. You and barfitz get your info from each other. You can buy f-150's below resale because there are more of them being produced than there is demand for them. The Tundra plant is working double shifts to keep up with demand for their trucks. More and more big-3 owners are making the switch to the Toyota and it's because they're sick of poor quality from domestic brands. I finally learned my lesson after 3 chevs and a ford.
  • markcordmarkcord Posts: 113
    I wouldn't question Roc's knowledge (especially since he knows where the Big 3 are made and you obviously do not). Ground clearance? Yeah, it probably does have 2" more than the Ford. Ever look at that teeny tiny little differential back there? What the heck is that? Does that thing have a 6" ring gear? Seems like a mighty Tundra would probably something beefier to get all that power to the ground so it might actually be able to do something.
This discussion has been closed.