Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sharon68sharon68 Posts: 1
    I have 2 05 trailblazers and I have been experiencing all similar problems with both vehicles. The ignition pulley (whining noise) has gone on both. I have had the cluster replaces as my odometer was not reading correctly. The car would be in park and it said that I was going 70mph. The fuel light and alarm does not work after replacing the cluster and yesterday, the fan does not work pass #5. I am extremely frustrated with this vehicle and have let GM know this as well. To date there has been absolutely no recalls on this his vehicle which I find surprising. Although they listen to the complaint, I get the same response, bring it to the dealer and once it has been diagnosis then we can see what we can do. Three times this has been done and only once has there been any compensation on GM's part. There is no acknowledgment that the car may be faulty. Has anyone else experience similar problems with the Car or GM. This my first new vehicle, first american car and I hate to say it but probably my last!
  • andydpandydp Posts: 2
    This is my wife's car and she has loved it from day one.

The problem: Recently, regardless of outside temps, the TB has started to "hesitate" when cold. It will drive very sluggishly with no power for about 1/2 mile. Then it apparently reaches an optimal temp or setting and drives perfectly. No dash lights come on.

We recently had the plugs and fuel filter replaced. The dealer replaced the catalytic converter and the filter again. The car is now at the dealer waiting for the "foreman" to look at it.

When we dropped it off last night, we taped a note to the steering wheel to the effect that it should be a mechanic that starts this so they can experience the problem when the engine is cold. It will NOT do it when warm.

Bottom line: Anyone else have this problem ?
  • andydpandydp Posts: 2
    Just wanted to say we took it to the dealer and had the O2 sensor checked. It was shorting out and was the cause of all the problems. Wife has just started out on a trip to Myrtle Beach SC very happy the problem is resolved.

Thanks to everyone for the tips about the O2 sensor. The only thing our TB was doing different that the others reported was none of the lights came on.
  • when putting back the headliner!!! THANKS sooo much for any answers!!!
  • My 05 Trailblazer Starts out blowing really hot then once I get moving it gets pretty cold. Any thoughts on what this may be?
  • Brian,

My 02' Trailblazer does the same thing. Recent threads have indicated that the fan clutch is the culprit and should be replaced.

David
  • Thanks for the info
  • I found many complaints about these fan clutches. Has anyone received assistance through GM? I called and they told me to take it to the dealer so they can diagnose the problem... then they may be able to help me. What should I do????
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    I replaced the clutch in my 2002 TB last year, and the AC has cooled great ever since. Took me about an hour and a half to do it myself.

The fan clutch has been known by GM to be the cause of poor AC performance for over 2 years. I've posted the first few lines (below) of the service bulletin issued in June 2005. Perhaps documenting it will help you get some help and resolution. The clutch can be bought for less than $200 but parts and labor has been known to run upwards of $700.

Good Luck!

Document ID# 1671108

#04-01-38-019A - (Jun 7, 2005)

Intermittent Slow to Cool HVAC Performance Concerns in
    High Ambient Temperatures and/or High Humidity
    Conditions After Start Up, Especially at Low Engine
    Speeds (Install New Engine Cooling Fan Clutch)

2004-2005 Buick Rainier
    2002-2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
    2002-2005 GMC Envoy Models
    2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
    2005 Saab 9-7X

Condition

Some customers may comment on slow to cool Air Conditioning (A/C) performance or high A/C outlet temperatures after startup or that the A/C system is not cooling sufficiently, especially in high ambient temperatures. This may be an intermittent condition and the performance of the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system may not meet customer expectations.

Correction

Replace the EV fan clutch.
  • rcrg81rcrg81 Posts: 1
    Hi I have an 02 TB and the engine is making a loud noise as if it was pulling 5000 pounds up a hill with the AC on. You know how it sounds when you first turn it on in the morning when its cold out and you rev the gas up and makes a loud nioce and after it warms up its quiet again, well mine sounds like that all the time and the SES light is on so I took it to Autozone and the little computer reader thing said that the fan speed is to high. What does this mean and what can I do please help me? Thank you very much for your time,
    Fan speed too high means most likely that the EV fan clutch is locked up and needs replacement. Fan speed is not what the computer is commanding it to be, so the SES light is on as a warning.
  • This clutch situation is out of control...Is there a way to force a recall?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I doubt if this would be a safety related issue, so the chance of a recall would be remote.
  • dossdoss Posts: 1
    i have a 04 TB, IT STARTED HAVING REDUCED ENGINE POWER LAST WINTER IN THE MORNINGS BUT NOW IT HAS STARTED DOING IT EVERYDAY AND IT IS THE MIDDLE OF JULY, IF I LET IT WARM UP IT IS FINE,(WHICH THE REDUCED ENGINE POWER LIGHT IS ON THE WHOLE TIME IT IS IDLING,) BUT THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, THE DEALER WANTS TO REPLACE THE COMPUTER(800.00) ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I DO THIS
  • Any special advice to replace fan clutch? Tools?Remove fan shroud only?
    There's more to replacing the clutch than is practical to go into here. Yes you need a clutch tool and a big wrench to get the clutch off the water pump shaft. You also have to drain the radiator part way to take the upper radiator hose loose to get it out of the way, remove a few bolts, unhook the shroud, and lift the whole fan-clutch-shroud out all at once. GM did not make the job easy. (If they had used a two piece fan shrowd like on my '88 S-10 it would be very easy, but they didn't.) If you do a Google search you should find a lot of info about doing this yourself.
  • rjt427rjt427 Posts: 27
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer I have a ticking noise coming from the front of the engine. I am not sure if it is one of the pulleys. It has 32000 miles onit. Has anyone had this trouble before.
  • Wiring problem in 03 fan clutch. Thanks much for the info Tblazed, I was set to replace the fan clutch when I found the black wire on the wiring harness plug was not making connection. I connected a jumper wire and now the temp is normal, ac works, and I saved hundreds of $. I hope this helps someone else.
  • ace78ace78 Posts: 1
    hey i got a 2005 trailblazer to.......i know wat ure talkin about....so far i had experienced the following the cars stolls as in while pressing on the gas on full throtle the car doesn go beyon 5 to 10 mph then u got the overheating thing plus when the damn thing doesn start at all plus the draining of the battery for no reason at all ive changed the damn battery 4 times so far and all the dealership tells me is that there is nothing wrong with the car...its really frustrating...im jus waiting for one more ding then im selling the bucket
  • I had the same problem on my 02 TB, the dealer "reflashed" the computer. It didn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated as the mechanic unsure on how to fix it. thanks.
  • I own a 2002 TB and recently I've been having problems in the morning. The truck starts ok but as soon as i give it gas it does nothing, then the engine "catches" and then it's ok. The dealer "reflashed" the PCM? (computer) but that hasn't helped. During the rest of the day the car is fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Did anyone ever figure this one out? I too am having problems with the connector burning out on the driver's side low-beam headlight. I have replaced the connector a few times, and it just burns out again after a few days. Does anyone have a solution that will prevent this from happening?
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    You know what YOU CANNOT FIX THE FAN CLUTCH i had the same problem you know what i did I DUMPED THAT POS AND GOT A HONDA. Gm knows its like that and i had 102000 miles on mine and not only that was that problem it was the tranny slipping, and all tranny shops said nothing was wrong. Also dealers saying that the k&n was the reason for the fan clutch. And it stalled on the highway the reduced engine power light did not even come on. Took it to a dealer to fix it mine you they put 6 DIFFERENT FAN CLUTHCHES ON AND NO SOLUTION had gmpp the computer died. So guys i suggest get out IF YOU BITE THE BULLETT YOU WILL THANK YOURSELVES FOR DOING IT BELIEVE ME I LOVEEEEEEEE MY HONDA I DO NOT WORSHIP IT BUT IT BEATS TRYING TO TELL DUM A....... YOU CAR IS BROKE AND THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU ARE A BUTTHOLE. SO you are NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY IM WARNING LEAVE GM PERIOD TRUST ME JAPAN RULES US
  • I too have an '03 TB with the same ticking anyone come up with a solution?
  • macatowamacatowa Posts: 69
    I have replaced mine three times, I have an 03 with 116k miles and the last change was at 65k miles and my mechanic said let's try some dielectic grease in the connection to help disipate the heat. He was right and that was a few years ago.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I know this has been discussed here before, but it's been some time and the links don't all work anymore. My external temp sensor has gone out on an 02 TB (for the mirror display), and I am having trouble locating the part on online GM parts suppliers. If anyone can enlighten me with part # or any info please do so.
  • bakeelbakeel Posts: 1
    Just bought an '05 TB EXT and am experiencing what seems to be driveshaft noise. Upon accelerating from a stopped position, there's a ting, crackle type noise. Told the dealership and they checked it out and said GM is aware of the issue and there's nothing that can be done. Anyone else experience or hear of this problem? :confuse:
  • When attempting to place my 2003 TB in AWD or 4WD, all I hear is a grinding noise. Any idea what the problem may be and how much a repair may cost? Thanks in advance.

Tracy
  • It's not a driveshaft noise....it's a sterring shaft noise. Where the steering column extends down from the sterring wheel to the actual steering gearbox, it is a two piece shaft that slides inside each other to extend and shorten with the front suspension. GM packs these with grease from the factory, which promptly just gets pushed out. They have tried several fixes over the years, all which proved to be temporary at best, and not at all cost-effective for GM, so now they just recommend to do nothing. This problem plagues MANY GM models of trucks and SUVs. Used to work at a dealership, own a 02 4wd TB, and have been through all this with mine.
  • Hey guys,
    My friend hit a deer this past weekend and it busted on the plastic front grille in his 2003 Trailblazer. He said this was a snap in grille.

Does anyone know where he could find a replacement? And, is it just that easy to snap in, or does it require professional installation?

Thanks,
    Scott