Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bckareobckareo Posts: 3
    Ive had similar problems, it is the fan clutch... it does not come up on diagnostic tests... but gm knows what is going on, they are just playing stupid, thats what they did to me... there is a document out that states that this is a normal condition for trailblazers and in the new models they have change the kind of fan clutch they manufacter, it states that the condition occurs if vehicle is parked at an incline, that vehicle reving is normal for the first 3 mintues that it is running, which is bs, this is a unacceptable stand the gm is taking on this problem... i have gotten my fan clutch replaced 4 times, and transmission rebuilt once, and it all started at 42000 miles... so document everything, make a claim with gm customer support... i dont know what else to tell you, becuase I am in the same boat, I have a copy of the gm document that states that this is a normal condition and for the techs not to repair it, if you would like it, please let me know...good luck
  • bckareobckareo Posts: 3
    Dont buy a Trailblazer, I have a 2003, with 45000 miles on it.. ive have already had to get the transmisson rebuilt, replace the fan clutch 4 times, and there is still problems... the fan clutch defect in this car makes it sound like the engine is reving really loud, sorta sounds like im driving a trash truck... and gm ssays its a normal occurance for trailblazers...gm states that it happens when turning on the car and for 3 mintues after that, and then it should disingage, mine doesnt, it does it everytime that i accelerate, also gm states that if you park the car at an incline it will do this, if its hot out it will over heat, it also effect the rate at which you accelerate... i would never buy a gm again...
  • staceypstaceyp Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 Trailblazer in March. Someone pulled in front of me and I did not have time to stop. The front of my Trailblazer was smashed in. My passenger and I are suffering from neck, back pains, and plenty bruises (from the seat belt). With all of this my air bags did not deploy. Does anyone know of anyone else who has had this problem?
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    Following up to see if anyone has ideas. It only does it "D" (drive) position and does not do it in "3" position. Any help would be seriously appreciated.
    Regards,
    Gmfan
  • ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    Ive had similar problems, it is the fan clutch... it does not come up on diagnostic tests... but gm knows what is going on, they are just playing stupid, thats what they did to me... there is a document out that states that this is a normal condition for trailblazers and in the new models they have change the kind of fan clutch they manufacter, it states that the condition occurs if vehicle is parked at an incline, that vehicle reving is normal for the first 3 mintues that it is running, which is bs, this is a unacceptable stand the gm is taking on this problem... i have gotten my fan clutch replaced 4 times, and transmission rebuilt once, and it all started at 42000 miles... so document everything, make a claim with gm customer support... i dont know what else to tell you, becuase I am in the same boat, I have a copy of the gm document that states that this is a normal condition and for the techs not to repair it, if you would like it, please let me know...good luck

While this loud roaring noise due to a poor fan clutch design may be "a normal condition for TrailBlazers", it most definitely is not a normal condition in the automotive world as a whole. There's no way to describe to you how many Chevy and GMC pickup trucks and SUVs I have heard make this noise. Although I didn't particularly care for the fan clutch-related, loud roaring noise with my 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ, that wasn't the worst part of the problem. There is a temporary loss of horsepower with many GM pickup trucks and SUVs when this fan clutch issue rears its ugly head, and it can actually be dangerous at certain times. Like when you need to accelerate to get on the freeway, pull out into an interesection, etc.

It's pretty sad how long that this problem has been present in many, many GM pickup trucks and SUVs. A good friend of mine has a 1996 Blazer LS that does the same thing. Another friend's 1999 2-door Blazer LS had the exact same problem.

Good luck to you guys!

Ron M.
  • bbarcenbbarcen Posts: 3
    I love my '02 TB. I have heard many horror stories, fortunately my TB hasn't given me any problems, yes the A/C does take a while to get cold, it shakes but only when my hubby is driving & hits 100mph (which he doesn't do anymore). The only problem I am having is it makes a clicking noise in the ignition area when i start it up. It only did it once in a while like a month ago, but now it is happening every time. What could it be?
  • bbarcenbbarcen Posts: 3
    I forgot to add..My TB has 52,00 miles on it. I have seen postings where a few people have said there Transmission blows out @ 57,000....my hubby says to sell it and upgrade...I love my TB,but don't want the aggravation...Is it time to let go?
  • Hope someone can help me out. I have a 2002 TB and the heater/AC blower will not work on setting 1,2,or 3. Works fine on 4 and 5. It sounds like a relay or fuse to me but cannot find anything. Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Keith
  • manicommanicom Posts: 2
    What turned out to be your problem? Our 2002 TB has an air conditioning problem in that the temperature display (showing the outside temp) will start going down to -26 degrees several degrees at a time. Once it drops below about 40 degrees, the air conditioning stops working. Sometimes, you can keep turning it off and on and it will eventually start getting the temp back towards normal. However, it won't go to the correct outside temp ever now. We're in OK and we've been having over 100 degree temps every day. This is very inconvenient to say the least. Anyone know what the problem is here? HELP!!
  • Me too! I have the very same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? I think if it is a bad sensor then repacing it should be the fix. I would think the computer is sensing the outside air temp and telling the compresor to come on or not.
    Do you know where the sensor is located.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    The air bags won't necessarily deploy in a front end crash. It depends on the forces involved whether the accelerometer will send the signal for deployment or not. I don't know your particular situation, but having a bruise from the shoulder harness is fairly normal in front end collisions.
    My wife ran into the back of someone at a fairly low speed (< 20mph) and the airbags didn't deploy, but there was enough damage that I had to replace the impact bar behind the front facsia.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Your blower motor resistor has probably gone out. I'm not 100% sure where it is on the TB but it's a safe bet it's in the blower plenum before the heater core but after the blower. Has anyone else had to change it? It seems to be a fairly common problem across the board. Over in the Grand Am and Alero forums it comes up all the time. It's also possible it's the switch, but less likely.
  • manicommanicom Posts: 2
    Well, the sensor is not sensing the correct outside temp! It's over 100 degrees here and the inside temp will only go up to about 80 degrees max and then for no apparent reason, it starts dropping. It'll drop all the way down to negative 27 degrees. Of course, then the air conditioner goes off. The air conditioner won't go on at all unless that temp reading is at least 50 degrees. I was sort of wanting to know what it might be before taking it to the shop to be fixed. Sometimes if you have a general idea of what it might be, you're less likely to get taken for a ride by a mechanic! I haven't had any trouble with the TB so far; this is the first. Wonder what it will do in cold weather? The heater should stay on all the time - right???
    If you hear of any fix on this, I'd appreciate knowing. Thanks.
  • wsg1wsg1 Posts: 1
    I hope you got your problem solved long ago. In case it still happens, I recently had a similar problem with my 2004 TB. It stalled and all the electrical guages were jumping and clicking even though the engine wasn't running. When I had it towed in it worked fine for the dealer and then for a day after I got it back. It happened again, and fortunately they were able to identify the problem as a faulty ignition switch. It now runs well once again.
  • katkinskatkins Posts: 1
    I have a 02 trailblazer 4wd. I have it about 2 years and it has 70000 miles on it. About 10000 miles ago i noticed a huge loss in power and I cant seem to figure out what is wrong. I have put a K&N filter in it, replaced the plugs, replaced the fuel filter and still hasnt regained the power loss. Can Anyone help me? I am also having a rattling from underneath the car...i can only hear it when I dont have my foot on the gas. I think it is a heat shield. Thanks for the help!
  • You might check your cat converter-I had a Dodge with a 318 that had higher mileage and there were lots of noises coming from underneath the car- I thought the Tranny was going. Turned out it was the cat converter-your comments on rattling under the car rings true to what happened there- I also had a cat go on a buick century and it lost power also.
    Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • I had a similar rattle come from underneath my 03 Trailblazer a few years ago... only heard it while coasting and/or turning. Turned out to be an improperly placed cable of some kind, something to do the A/C if I recall. Anyway this cable would brush up against something it wasn't supposed to and created the rattle. Took the dealer a couple of visits to figure it out.
  • An afterthought, if you do have catalytic problems it should be covered under dealer warranty until 80k!It would be worthwhile to check!
  • gnajjargnajjar Posts: 3
    I also have a 2005 Trailblazer which has not only stalled but hesitates when you try to accelerate. I brough the truck to the dealer and they claim they ran complete diagnostics and nothing is wrong! BS. I am bringing the truck to another dealer this Monday, August 21. There is something definitely wrong and I will not give up until this is fixed. I'll keep you informed.
  • gevans17gevans17 Posts: 27
    My 02 TB had huge power loss and roaring noise fromm engine compartment. These vehicles have problems with the fan clutch wearing out prematurely. Mine died at 36,000 miles
    Cost 550 to replace.