Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• normynormy Posts: 17
    Thanks again justamom2,

I was just looking at the inventory myself this evening. Looks like I will be doing the same.
    Normy
  • normy,
    Lemme know what the dealer says! And if you end up taking one off the lot....
    Your going to love it...Mine is at the dealer today having the paint protection done...I don't normally fall for that stuff but I had some problems with the paint on my 02 Tahoe. Anyone else have this done? Did you think it was worth it?
  • nbxnbx Posts: 28
    Looking through KBB and Michigan Highway Patrol Vehicle Tests information, I come up with a curb weight increase of 496 pounds for the 2007 Tahoe 4wd over the same 2006 version. Also note that the 2007 Tahoe maximum payload has come down about the same amount to a skimpy 1290-1300 for 2007 versus about 1600 for the 2006 models. After driving my 2003 and 2004 Expeditions a combined total of 84,000 miles, I can say without a doubt that the high vehicle weight (5,720 lbs. for my 2004 NBX with full tank)is a significant negative and by far my number one dislike for the 2003 and up Expedition 4wd models. From braking to acceleration to comfort of day-to-day commuting to simply jacking the Expedition up in the driveway, this major amount of weight is always there to deal with. The NBX has good brakes, handles and tows well, but simply must be put in the 3/4 ton vehicle range as far as feel, driving comfort goes.

I have always had my eye on Tahoe/Yukon pending not being so upside down on the Expedition. But, now I have a sinking feeling that GM may have foolishly followed Ford and Nissan and completely missed the boat by increasing curb weights so much on the 2007 Tahoe/Suburban. The 2007 Expedition goes another 150-200 lbs in the wrong direction (over 6,100 for new Expedition XL in 4wd)in my view given present and likely future gas prices. Do we really want to lug massive frames around just to get a bit more highway ride smoothness or whatever the purpose of all that weight? The new 2006 Explorer 4wd checks in nearly as heavy or maybe heavier than yesteryear's 1500 series full-sized Bronco, Blazer, and Tahoe.

The 2007 Tahoe is one of the best looking SUVs to ever hit the market, but why the additional 496 lbs? Think what EPA numbers would be for the 2007 at the 2006 curb weights.

What about it GM guys?
  • rwernerrwerner Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply I'm also trying to get an answer to these questions. I would like to make sure that we are getting full bennefit of this great system. If I get any answers I'll also post them.

Thanks
  • sdronsdron Posts: 29
    Excuse me but what is an NBX???? Curious, have you driven the new Tahoe or Yukon? I drove an 07 4WD Yukon and with the new brake system, even if you are correct about the weight increase, braking is not a problem. Then again, neither was acceleration.
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    Just confirmed today that although mine was scheduled to be built last week (week 5), due to the nav/radio and rear camera unavailability, it's on hold. :( :mad: :cry:
    justamom2,

I am going to the dealers this AM to get another vehicle or get my money back.

I may consider the protection. They wanted 200.00

Normie
    73 Shark,

I am fustrated myself !!!! I have been waiting since 2.18.06. I am simply getting another color
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Posts: 16
    Same here. I am cancelling my order today and getting a different vehicle.
  • I had to settle for a different color too...but thats ok...I ended up getting the same color I had on my 02 Tahoe....and I still Love it!!
    The NBX for 2004 and early 2005 is the off-road package model. Starting mid-year 2005 there in no badge such a
    NBX or FX4 and the off-road package is now offered in a broader range of Expedition models as a $320 option (except when air shocks are ordered).

No I have not driven the 2007 Tahoe.

I'm sure that engineers have done their homework on new Tahoe brakes. You can stop an airliner or jet cargo if you have large enough brakes.

My comment in the post about the overall vehicle weights comes from my experience driving my four new lighter weight Broncos (4,500 lbs)hundreds of thousands of miles, my 2000 Expedition 4wd (5,350lbs) 90,000 and the 2003 and 2004 Expeditions(5,720 lbs) 84,000. Have bought 11 new Ford suvs for the family since 1981.

An extreme example of trying to move something heavy would be the old freight train. Sure enough power and brakes will make it stop and go, but the stoppimg and going is not going to happen very quickly no matter the power or brakes and not at a low cost.

Even improved as the 5.3L must be for 2007, I just don't see how it will ever have enough torque to muscle the 5,700 lbs of the new 2007 4wd Tahoe. The long stroke, broad torque band 5.4L Ford Triton does well in either 2V or 3V, but the towing torque still is nothing to write home about. Look forward to seeing the MHP vehicle tests in the fall for 0-60 times for the 2007 Tahoe.

To recap, there is a point where high enough overall vehicle weight makes you feel like you are driving a 3/4 or 1 ton type truck instead of a traditional weight 1500 series suv. It's a feel and comfort thing--for me anyway based on my above million suv miles.

Thanks for your reply.
  • noneillnoneill Posts: 11
    The paint protection is WELL worth it. There is no better or (other) way to GUARANTEE AND WARRANTY - the paint from the environmental damage like acid rain, bugs, trees and birds. I have the product put on ALL my cars!
    ..correction..

Make that about 5,524 lbs. per KBB for 2007 Tahoe and difference 314 from 2006 Tahoe curb weight. These base curb weights probably would be without the third row seat? I saw the 5,700 for 2007 Tahoe somewhere recently.

Point is the same. Just today the Government announced increased EPA SUV fuel mileage goals for 2008 as new 2007 GM and later 2007 Ford full-sized SUVs hit the streets heavier that last year.
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    I would guess the extra weight helps towing considerably. It might hurt starting and stoping, but overall handling would be better. Imagine towing 7000lbs in a 4000lb car on a windy day or on slipery roads. Make that a 2500lb cargo trailer with tall sides. A good cross wind would have fun pushing around a little suv.

Once you get the weight moving it won't hurt mpg much, plus it will coast better on the down hills.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    I have a 2004 Silverado ECSB 4x4 Z-71 w/5.3l & 3.73 rear end right now. The 5.3l in the new SUVs has had its hp and torque numbers bumped up a bit since my truck was built, and it definitely shows. My truck weighs less than the new Tahoe, but on the test drive I took in a Yukon SLT (different appearance, same basic vehicle, as you most likely already knew) 4x4, the engine was quite a bit stronger feeling. And the brakes were an even bigger difference, though most having driven 2004 1/2 ton Chevrolet pickups won't find that part strange. It felt like a vehicle that's as big as it is, but not from acceleration, braking, and handling standpoints- purely from a looking out over the hood view. ;)
  • yukon7yukon7 Posts: 7
    Nacho07,

Nice pics. Looks great.

Where did you get the fascia cover from? Not sure if they make it for the 07 Yukon. Picking up one tomorrow afternoon. :)
    First, will try to make this my last post on the subject. Ha!

I guess in summation, buying a vehicle that is utility something means that you as the buyer must be willing to put up with the dislikes and enjoy the features that closely fit your needs and budget. I have had to also cross these hurdles looking at quality lawn and garden tractors and especially various types of boats. There seem to be endless compromises and price points for the companies and the customers to deal with.

Would like to thank all how have taken time to think, reply, etc.

P.s. Going to test drive that a black 2007 4wd Tahoe I saw on dealer's lot. Some kind of sharp vehicle!
  • noneillnoneill Posts: 11
    You can pick up a rear fascia close-out that covers the hitch, as well as a front fascia and/or color matched grill from your gm parts department. If you really want to dress up the 07 - switch out the running boards for the chrome tubulars and add a chrome gas cap. If I could figure out how I would post the pictures of my 07 Yukon with all the factory accessories.">
  • yukon7yukon7 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information. Love the board.... :)
  • tahoefourtahoefour Posts: 16
    Just picked up rear facia close out. Can you tell me where to drill the three holes. Instructions don't look real clear. Thanks