Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Real World MPG

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
edited May 11 in Chevrolet
This topic is for TrailBlazer owners to share their actual MPG with others.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Save Money on Gas

We Test the Tips

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• I have been suprised, on the highway if I drive with a light foot I can get over 20mpg. I have the I6. Any headwind takes it down to an average of 18 or so. In town it is just so-so 14. I put in a KN air filter and it seems to boost MPG just a little on the hiway. If nothing else the KN filter is good for the engine. :)
  • gmoudygmoudy Posts: 67
    Around town I get on the average of 18 mpg. On a trip to California I usually get 22 mpg. Love the mileage I get with this SUV and the comfort it provides on a trip.
  • imadad2imadad2 Posts: 79
    I have a 04 TB EXT as well, but have the V8. On a trip to Disney, I averaged 18 - 19 MPG. Around the city I average 15 MPG. It is close to being on par with the I6. I went with the extra horsepower and have not regretted it.
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    Same vehicle. I get 16-17 mpg around town, and 22-23 mpg on highway. Good numbers in my opinion, especially on the highway.

-gmfan
  • First 1000 miles. Averages 19 on the highway. V8 5300 w/DOD
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    I have an '03 TB. Around town 16.5-17. Just drove from Nashville to South Bend, IN. and averaged 24.7 round trip.
  • 12 MPG. I smile all the way to the pump when I feed that LS2 expensive premium.

Bruce

P.S.
    Hemi? What's a Hemi?
  • I have the 4.2L 4x4 with the 3.23 back end. It has over 62,000 miles on it. I get on average about 18mpg, but I drive a good mix of highway and city traffic. Between Baton Rouge and Houston, I got 23mpg averaging about 65mph.

A few months ago, my gas mileage dropped to 14, but I noticed it needed a new air filter. I replaced it and mileage went back up again. I use shell 87 octane gas.

Not bad gas mileage. I had to pull a 5,000 lb dual axle featherlite, and the 4.2 pulls it pretty good. I could use a little more power off the line, but it still works very well. No problems to report yet. I am already sold on the 2008 redesiged Trailblazer unless they go unitbody.
  • my 02 TB LS is lucky to get 300 miles per tank (apx 16.5 MPG) I have 82K on it and replaced air filter last summer.

Friends of mine have 8 cylinder silverados that get same if not better mpg.

overall I think its not too good and I think gas tank should be at least 22 gal vs 18.
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    I think 03 or 04 models have larger tanks. I also wish my 02 TB had a larger tank.
  • kybiltkybilt Posts: 2
    2006 TrailBlazer SS ! I smile all the way to the pump, and cry on the way out! Seriously, I checked the mileage on an 8 hour round trip from home. Mostly interstate, driving very conservatively, averaged 17.2 mpg. BTW, I don't always fill up with premium, never noticed any difference either way.
  • new57new57 Posts: 11
    i get average of 16 mpg.

pure hwy somtimes gets 20-21mpg
  • With the 03 TB LS I tracked every tank I put in it ( 56k at trade) I was always 17.4 - 18.5 mixed driving and 20.2 hwy. Just got 06 LT w/ v8, still breaking it in ( 650 miles so far) but the V8 w DOD is a blast to drive. Showing 17.4 first tank, mixed driving. ;)
  • I have a 03 TB EXT LT V8// I think it is ok most of the time but the dash and everything there gets very hot! I don't know what is wrong but right now the light for the air bag stays on? I also get the seat belt light on as well.
    I just out of warranty and don't know what I should do? :confuse:
  • lastarlastar Posts: 30
    Does anyone have any experience with these and do any of them work and actually increase the MPG?
    Thanks
  • dmb874dmb874 Posts: 1
    I am serious considering a TBSS LSawd...any thoughts and or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    Gets about 13.5 MPG in town and 21 MPG hiway at 70-75 mph. These are calculated, not from the DIC which runs about 1.0-1.5 MPG higher. Stay away from "gas savers" that involve magnets and things that create turbulence. Have never seen any documented, independent lab or dyno tests for these.
  • hey
    i have a 2004 trailblazer LT when ever im driving and i turn the wheel and i sometimes hear this grinding or louder rubbing noise in front end so i went to the dealership under warranty and they sayed it was the mud flaps and the dealer installed them before i bought it and still the tire isnt even close to the mud flaps...they come up with some good ones somtimes! :mad:

can anyone relate to this?

• jwoodiejwoodie Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 TB EXT V8 AWD 3.73 and get 14-18 just like the EPA sticker said.
    FYI: You might have better luck getting an answer if you put this in the "Problems & Solutions" section. :)
    i am considering replacement tires for my EXT but am concerned about reported mpg drop with certain tires (especially goodyear fortera's). stock conti's are quiet & smooth but lousy traction. any suggestions?
  • I just replaced my tires on my '04 Trailblazer EXT. It came with Continentals and I only got 27k out of them. Through research I read that the Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor are a top rated tire so I got 'em. Yes, I am getting about 1.5 MPG less. I guess it's a trade off for better preformance. The difference in ride is tremendous. And I gotta remind myself that the reason I got the 4WD in the first place is for safety in bad weather in the first place. It's a tradeoff that i'm willing to make. If the tires make that much difference in traction, they're worth it. I can't wait for ski season to put them through the test.
    My 02 came with the BFG tire and at 40K, they look like they could go another 10-20K. I have 2WD w/ traction control and live in KC, MO area and have never had any problem with snow, etc. I get 15 MPG in town and 21 MPG on hwy @ 70-75 mph. This is actual, not the inflated numbers from the DIC. Run about 35 psi in tires.
    Well, I sprang for the Fortera Tripletreds ($150 each!). They look and handle great, suprisingly quiet & smooth considering their aggressive tread design. Haven't checked new mileage or snow performance, but will report back.
    P.S. GM factory recommended 30 front 35 rear psi (EXT)seems to be correct for maximum wear pattern.
    I have the same problem (hot dash) especially during long haul up hill. May also affect erratic temp modulation from auto a/c. I wonder of this problem is more frequent with the V8 EXT? Am considering putting some insulation between engine & firewall. Any thoughts/suggstions?
  • I have an '02 4WD with 4.10 gears, and get 16 in mixed driving, and 22 on the highway at 75 mpg. Mileage with a 6,000 pound trailer is in the 12-14 mpg range. I also have a '06 2WD SS. It gets as low as 13 mpg in the city, and up to 18 on the highway driven conservatively. It's more fun to get 13 ;)
  • Looking to but TB ext, was told to get the V8 because of the extra weight, wont do any towing b/c I have truck as well. Any pros or cons on engine selection?
  • lablover2lablover2 Posts: 106
    i average about 17 mpg with a mix of driving.i still love my trailblazer with 62,600 miles on her! i just replaced my original bfg tires and could have probably waited awhile. my nephews wife also has a tb and she put on over 90000 miles before she replaced her tires.
  • I was really disappointed in the MPG I'm getting. I keep really detailed records on my cars. My wife mostly drives the TB (50 miles round trip to work, all highway). She routinely gets only about 16MPG. On a long road trip it might climb to 18MPG. :cry:
  • Anybody have any computer chip recommendations to boost MPG for an 2003 Trailblazer? We do a mix of city/hwy driving and occassional light towing. We currently get about 17-20 on our 4.3L, straight 6, would like to improve those numbers.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.