Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Real World MPG

2»

Comments

• tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    I have two reprogrammed PCMs for mine now from two different PCM reprogram companies. Each programmer made claims of anywhere from 2 to 5 MPG improvement. I think they left off the decimal point! Maybe .2 to .5 MPG if any improvement at all! Claims of improved gas mileage did not materialize, although the throttle response and shift quality are much improved over stock. I think it was worthwhile for those improvements. Do not expect miracles improving the MPG.

Someone else said theirs gets about 13.5 in town, about 21 at 70-75 on the highway. That's very much inline with what I have always seen, stock or "tuned". The best so far was all between 65 and 70 it got 23.5. I have the 3.42:1 gear ratio. That makes a difference too. Each step up in numerical gear ratio will make the highway MPG less. Choices were 3.42. 3.73. and 4.10.
  • I just bought a dealer-driven 2007 Trailblazer which has a 4.3L I6. The sheet says mpg should be 15-21 but no matter what I do, I can't get any better than 9mpg in town. I have 85 miles on this tank of gas and I'm just a tad over 1/2 full!!! Has anyone heard of issues with these vehicles or engines? Any help I could get would be appreciated!!
  • I just bought a 2003 TB EXT with 70,000 miles on it. I filled up the tank and have used half a tank and only got 125 miles on that half tank. I have a 25 gallon tank because of the extended model. I am very dissapointed so far I was expecting between 15-17 mpg.

Any help would be apreciated.
  • We had a 2008 Uplander which on a few trips to the Gulf Coast got 18MPG pulling our motorcycle trailer. We had a 27 foot motor home which we didn't use much due to getting only 8-9 MPG. We sold our RV and bought the smallest toy hauler we could find, a new Coachmen 15 foot Blast which weighs 3400 pounds. Even though the Blast was within the 3500 # capacity of the Uplander I wished to add helper springs and a transmission cooler. There were no such parts available for the 2008 Uplander. We ask our local Chevy dealer what we should do and they recommended a 2007 Trailblazer LS 2 wd. It had 10,000 less miles and a tow capacity of 5900# according to Chevy. We traded for $800. We loved the Trailblazer so much we traded our 2000 Toyota Corolla on a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd. We had already installed a trailer brake controller in the 07 LS so when vacationing at the Gulf coast after Christmas we towed the 15' toy hauler with it. Fully loaded the weight is 5550#. The Trailblazer struggled, many times up hill on the interstate it shifted dow to second gear and raced at 5,000+ rpms. We got 6.5 MPG!
    This is unacceptable! Returning home we drove 55mph and got 8 mpg. Still unacceptable. Research - Trailblazer with 342 to 1 rear end gear ratio tow capacity is 5400#. 373 to 1 rear end is 5700# and 410 to 1 rear end is 5900#.
    We found our 07 LT TB has a 342 rear end , our 06 LT TB has a 373 rear end. So the TB we were using was over loaded! Not towing the 342 gearing gets about 16 MPG while the 373 gets about 12 MPG.
    My question is will the 373 get better MPG and struggle less towing our small toy hauler? How much difference does the rear end make in MPG and Towing?
    I did ad a chip to the 07 LT TB with the 342 rear end before we went on vacation. it has made no difference in power or MPG.
    Any information or help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    I have a 2003 TB bought new. Just turned 43,000 miles. I get 16.5 -17 mpg in the city and 23-24 mpg on the road (if I keep the speed below 75mph.)
    Hope this helps.
  • My '04 EXT gets about 20-21 mpg around town,& 24-26 mpg on open roads/freeways.
    I don't know how oyhers are driving their rigs, but I drive fairly conservatively,only juicing it when I need to merge into dense,fast moving traffic.
  • That is great mileage for any Traiblazer and a EXT to boot. We have an 05 Trailblazer standard with the inline 6 cyl. It is not the greatest on performance or mpg. When we first got it new, it seemed to make the OEM spec of 15 to 20 MPG. As of late it was only getting between 10 to 12.5 mpg. Most of our driving is local so that may be why but I found a test on line to test the O2 sensors. The down flow O2 sensor failed the test so I replaced it and we will see how the MPG goes. I am considering selling it with only 35K on it, but I do love to dirve it. Nice smooth ride on the Hwy. I have done as good as 22.5 on the highway so it is great for that type of travel.
  • We have an 05 Trailblazer standard with the inline 6 cyl. It is not the greatest on performance or mpg. When we first got it new, it seemed to make the OEM spec of 15 to 20 MPG. As of late it was only getting between 10 to 12.5 mpg. Most of our driving is local so that may be why but I found a test on line to test the O2 sensors. The down flow O2 sensor failed the test so I replaced it and we will see how the MPG goes. I am considering selling it with only 35K on it, but I do love to dirve it. Nice smooth ride on the Hwy. I have done as good as 22.5 on the highway so it is great for that type of travel.
  • We have an 05 TB and I have done some research on this. So fare it seems like the performance chip manufactures are only focusing on the larger V8 engines. Some say better MPG but the bottom line is that they focus on the performance which generaly causes the engine to use more fuel. There is only one that I know of called "Jet" of CA that does make a pickyback type connector that claims to improve the performance but some of the review I read say otherwise. I wish the company Super Chips made a chip upgrade for this engine because they actualy replace the programming in the PCM apposed to simply attaching a mass of resistors/amplifiers to modify the voltages to the PCM.
  • I have a 2005 TB 4WD and it was getting 10 to 11 mpg city most of its life except for maybe the first 6 months from a new purchase. I took it back to the dealer many times and they kept saying that that is what these trucks get for mpg. I tried many things like HHO add on kits and fuel additives. Nothing worked. I started looking into basic stuff like fluid levels on the differentials and transfer case and found that my transfer case was operating with about 1/2 quart of fluid. The manual and the dealer state that this would not need servicing or checking until 50K. At $13 a quart from the dealer (only place to get it) I added a little over 1 1/2 quarts. It was an amazing difference in performance including MPG. I am now getting closer to 15 to 16 mpg in the city. So much for suggested OEM maintenance. I feel that GM and other auto manufactures do these things intentionally to get consumers to buy new vehicles fare before it is necessary. The business model for (planned obsolescence) needs to change here the US or we will all soon be in tank. Based on the recent events it looks like many of us are already in the tank due to greed such as this.
  • Not sure about towing but I have an 05 standard TB and have had MPG problems most of the 4 years owned. I tried just about everything and finally found that GM was so cheep that they only filled the transfer case with about 1/2 quart of fluid. (no leaks) I found out from the dealer that it should have a little over 2 quarts. After adding about 1 and 1/2 quarts the MPG and performance is much better. I am getting 16 to 17 city and a bit over 20 hwy. Like I said, we never pull with it, but I would feel much better trying now than before. I also replaced gear oil in both the front and rear diffs. just to be sure. GM recommends 50K but I saw a lot of metal particles in the fluid, better safe then sorry a few miles down the road. Apparently GM has quite a (planned obsolesces program).
  • I was changing the front brake pads last week. the clips that, I thought, held the pads to keep from making noise were rusted. Two days later I have the hardware kit in hand. Tried to put them on and the pads would not slide in and out at all! Needing the TB for work I assembled everything without any of the clips. Guess what?

I get no brake noise, and I get a measured 2 mpg better gas mileage! Measured by stock DIC. I am thinking of changing the back pads and seeing what happens.
2»
This discussion has been closed.