Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Suburban and GMC Tahoe MPG - Real World Numbers

Comments

• dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    gotta agree although I'm not sure of the science. Seems to me these big engines reward you with pretty darn good MPG when driven carefully vs. not so good MPG when driven hard. I'm old enough to feel no need to show off. Knowing I can go if I want to is enough for me. I rarely downshift, keep near the limit driving the mile or so between stop lights, and never sit idling in a drive-up. I consistently get 15+ MPG in my local driving. I intentionally drove one tank like I was a kid, again. The milage dropped into the mid 13's which ain't bad all things considered. My old Expedition on it's best day couldn't get better than 12+. love my Tahoe.
  • mm450excmm450exc Posts: 37
    Got a 2001 Tahoe 5.3 4x4. Had error code P1133 I think it was come up. Changed both oxygen Bank1/2 sensor 1. Got the Bosch sensors. Driving on the highway doing an average of 65MPH I got 23.1MPG. I was shocked!!! Let's see if I can do this again. :)
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    I have a 2006 Suburban 4 x 4 that consistantly gets 22 mpg at 65mph....and 23 mpg at 60mph. I get around 18mpg in town. I stay away from those stop light drag races and drive sensibly. Seems to work for best gas mileage.
  • nosbor77nosbor77 Posts: 40
    Have any of you noticed a difference in gas mileage as a new engine is broken in?? Chevy is telling me I should see improvements at about 8-9k miles. Just wondering. It wouldn't surprise me if they tell people this just to get them to shut up..
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    I have an 07 LTZ and the MPG is actually getting worse. Don't have any hiway mileage yet and only have about 1,000 miles on it but it's gone from about 15 down to under 12. (and that's doing the grandpa thing) When I take it in to get all of the little niggly things fixed, this subject will come up. The only time it goes into V4 mode is when it's coasting or going downhill. The one I test drove would stay in V4 mode on level road at 35-40 mph. Something's wrong! :mad:
  • magnitudemagnitude Posts: 8
    Took delivery of my '07 LT3 on Saturday. After first fill up, mpg is about 15.8, with mostly highway driving, but also stop and go mixed in. My goal is to get close to what my '02 Trailblazer was getting (16.8) and I'm pretty optimistic.

I'll have a good idea at the end of this week after going back and forth to work (90 mi. round trip).
  • togadelictogadelic Posts: 21
    are the 07's really getting out there?
  • oniscusoniscus Posts: 10
    factory ordered mine and got it 2 weeks ago and I love it, 07 5.3L 4x4 LT3. So far my counter reads 16.8MPG, that's mix driving, but mostly city. (Phila)
  • sojoratsojorat Posts: 3
    I have 07 LT2 with 3rd row. I am getting 13 mpg with 70% highway driving. I called GM about this and they said all I could do was bring it back and have it tested. I thought i was going to get around 16-17 mpg when i bought it. So i am paying 25% more per month in gas than i thought. This cost me over $50 a month. If anyone is getting better than 13 mpg please tell me what you are doing. :sick:
  • nickhejnanickhejna Posts: 3
    I've heard that the 07's need time to " break in" to motor and computer program in order to maximize gas mileage. Has anyone else been getting horrible gas mileage. I drive easy, mostly on the highway and im getting like 14 mpg. My brother works at the dealership- he says the GMC rep. said give it about 3000 miles to break in. Anyone else have any info on gas mileage on these new engines?
    I have the exact same problem- same MPG. Read my post #31. Let me know if you find anything else out.
    Looking for the honeycomb denali grill without the GMC insert. Anyone know where i can get one?

Thanks
    Nick
  • I may have a bit of a lead foot, I average 14.7 MPG in my 2007 Tahoe. The 8 to 4 is a great concept and hope its failsafe for many harsh mile to come ;p Are there any lift kits for the Tahoe besides Ranco out there? How about super chargers?
  • tahoedavetahoedave Posts: 9
    Based on my experience, it appears GM's fuel economy claims are flat out lies. I recently traded in a '97 F-150 for a '07 LTZ. I've been driving like an old lady and can't get better than 13 mpg in combination city/highway driving. That's a slight improvement over the 12.5 mpg I was getting but still worse than my '97 F-150. Gimme a break. $43k+ for "best in class" fuel economy? I had it back to the dealer once for a few minor repairs and they supposedly tested it and said it's fine. I even had the cruise control on going down the freeway and it stayed in V8 mode and never went over 16 mpg. That's a far cry from the 21 mpg they claim. Not happy. And for those of you who've had the problems with the "L" molding on the rear windows, same here. The dealer put some double-sided tape under the molding and by the time I showed up to pick up the truck it had come unstuck already. Great fix. Anybody know if GM is doing anything about this yet? Thanks. Dave
    I've been driving like an old lady and can't get better than 13 mpg in combination city/highway driving.
    Something is wrong with this picture. I have an '06 Suburban, 5.3L engine with 3.42 rear gears, and it will get 22 mpg on the highway at speeds under 65mp. Even a bit better at 55 mph. In city driving it averages about 16 mpg. I have checked these figures using both the DIC computer and by dividing miles driven by number of gallons of gas used. Your '07 should do as well and even better since you have the newer technology of being able to use less cylinders during highway travel.
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    I agree, somethings wrong with the picture.

With our 03 tahoe we typically get 18 to 19mpg on the highway. (5.3 E85 4x4 with third row.) We also get 16 to 18 highway when loaded for a camping weekend. 4 bikes on top, 2200lb camper, 3 kids, and enough stuff for a small country.

In town its a bit more like 14 to 15mpg.

With my dad's 04 Silverado (5.3 and 4x4) we average 19 to 20 mpg on a 1800 mile round trip to Montana and back (loaded for a fishing trip). almost exlcusive 70 to 75 mph. One or two tanks were in the 18mpg range, but others when we had a tail wind wee in the 21mpg range.

We did notice that we many times got better mpg without cruise control. We could gain alittle more speed on the down hills and tehn back of a taf more on the up hills.
  • mcdaniel4mcdaniel4 Posts: 9
    What do you all think about the claim of better gas mileage for the new 2007 Yukons? I am interested in the perhaps 30 mpg on the highway.
    Thanks
    You won't even get close to 30 mpg with a new Yukon. Probably lucky to get 23 to 24 mpg. If that.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,980
    The EPA Mileage Estimates for the '07 Yukon 2WD with the 5.3L V8 are 15 mpg/22 mpg. The 4WD is similar but 16 city and 21 highway. It does have a big gas tank (26 gallons) so the range can hit 546 miles before you have to fill up.

The Denali with the 6.2l engine comes in at 13/19.
  • gcmartingcmartin Posts: 19
    I finally took delivery on my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. After three weeks of bashing around with dealers in the Houston area who wouldn't deal or wouldn't do dealer trades with Jim Jard, Jim Jard stepped up to the plate and put me in 2007 4x4 LTZ demo for an extremely fair and equitable price when I was only looking for a 2x4 LTZ. I wanted a 4x4, but could swing the big pricetag. I am a very happy new Tahoe owner after a not so wonderful experience with a 2004 Land Rover Discovery.

If you are in the market for a 2007 Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban or Escalade make the trip out to Rosenberg, Texas ten minutes south of Sugar Land on 59 at 36 and go see them. I promise you will be pleased with his service. A real refreshing experience from a professional salesman. I have found that no other GM dealers in Southwest Houston are as professional.