Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus: MPG-Real World Numbers

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
This topic is for Focus owners to share their actual MPG with others.

"Real World" Fuel Economy vs. EPA Estimates

Save Money on Gas

We Test the Tips

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• I did a 550 km. trip from Haliburton to Kingston and return today and got 44 mpg in my 2000 Focus SE Stationwagon.
  • igor2igor2 Posts: 148
    wow that's great.. I did a trip Philadelphia to Baltimore (200 miles) and with some traffic got just shy of 30mpg...(2005 ZX3 AT)

overall, on 7 tanks i average 24.3 mpg... it seems that there is no way to get above about 22mpg in city driving (which is what I do mostly)...

Igor..
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,833
    epa 25/33.
    lowest 25(2 tanks), highest 33(1 tank)
    summer 30-31, winter 27.5-28.5.
    no long trips.
  • Open road wtih some hills: 35mpg
    Suburban: 25mpg
    City with severe traffic: 2mpg
  • inhaliburton is in Canada, so I believe his figure is in Imperial Gallons. 44 Imperial MPG translates to 36.6 US MPG. Still quite good.
    thanks for the translation. is that based on an imperial gallon is 4 liters?
  • igor2igor2 Posts: 148
    currently at 3k miles.. the mileage has been creeping up... as I am breaking in the engine especially my city mileage goes up.. no easily around 20mpg.. and should go up further.

Igor
  • kevmkevm Posts: 5
    Get about 280 miles before low fuel light lights up
  • Just bought a used 03 wagon. Dissapointing,
    only getting about 23-24 in mixed city/highway. Just bumped up the tire pressure and put in a new air filter. We'll see how that does.
    2.3 5 speed. 18k miles, 28.8 average. worst tank 24.7, best 32.8. epa 25-33. longest trip 90 miles(45 each way). conserative driver.
  • joshsttejoshstte Posts: 1
    My Focus if i really try and drive right ( slow take offs 55 on the freeway) I get about 400 Miles on a tank when the light comes on. When the light comes on it's about 10 Gallons used and still has about 4 Gallons Left. But usually I can't drive right because i'm always buzzing around (fast take off, sometime peeling out =) and pretty fast on the freeway) So i usually get about 300 Miles or 75Miles every quarter tank. So it's about $.10 a mile (10 gallons used) when I drive right or $.13 a mile (10 gallons used) when I'm buzzing around.
    what engine do you have? i have the 2.3, 5 speed also.
    my low fuel light goes on around 380 miles, although i have stretched it to 400 a couple of times. mine usually goes on after about 13 gallons.
  • harrydogyoharrydogyo Posts: 8
    Looks like the 2007 Focus Fuel Econ numbers are out and they're better than the 2006. Does that mean there were changes with the car in 07 or just luck of the draw with the testing?
  • radar1radar1 Posts: 25
    With 25,000 miles, I had come to expect about 28 MPG on highway trips, since that's what I usually got over the life of the car. This summer I was pleasantly surprised that on a 4,500 mile trip I averaged 32 MPG, and was able to travel over 400 miles on one tank for the first time. The 1,200 trip I took last month only averaged 24 MPG, although some of that was in 30+ MPH headwinds at the 75 MPH speed limit. I changed the fuel filter to see if that helps, but won't know til the next long trip.
    for the first time before the 'low fuel' light went on.
    just my normal driving.
  • vanacevanace Posts: 8
    EPA rating is 31 hiway for my 2005 focus ST. I have gotten a high of 36 mpg.. and regularly (in the summer with the good gas) get 32-35 mpg back and forth to work.
    430 miles 12.8 gallons. best tank ever. just my normal driving. tank lastest for 3 weeks. i don't drive far.
  • I got a little over 31 MPG on my last tank. I live in a rural area, so there is only a few traffic lights (and therefore no true city driving). I also drive 95% highway to work.
    loves hot weather. it finally did a somewhat extended trip (200 highway miles round trip). took advantage of relatively cheap gas on the mass pike to top off. overall, 575 miles, 16.6 gallons = 34.6 mpg. epa highway rating is 33 mpg.
  • loolalaloolala Posts: 19
    My car is six years old last month, and it's been very good to me. My highest mileage on one tank was 425 miles. Average lately has been 32MPG (85% highway), highest approached 34mpg. In the city it goes down a lot, but I don't have much time in the city!
  • I just received some info from Superior Ford in MN. The motors are the same for 06 and 07. The 07 has been tuned slightly different for fuel efficiency. My 06 was rated at 144 hp while the 07 Duratec 2.0 is rated at 136hp but the hy mpg was upped to 37. I have got as high as 33.9 and as low as 21 (pulling a trailer). My average has been 29. 2.0 SES 5sp. I am thinking about doing some mods to the intake and getting it re-tuned. Happy driving :-)
  • juppjupp Posts: 7
    First tank after buying new (full fill up to spout done by me) 270 miles to light-on. About 23 mpg BUT keep in mind, this was the maiden tank of gas on a new car and I assume things are still tight and need to wear a bit before optimum mpg is attained, and also this tank was pretty much ALL city driving with three occupants at all times. Air cond. running at least 50% of driving time. Still waiting to see the improvement on second tank.
    First tank after buying new (full fill up to spout done by me) 270 miles to light-on. About 23 mpg BUT keep in mind, this was the maiden tank of gas on a new car and I assume things are still tight and need to wear a bit before optimum mpg is attained, and also this tank was pretty much ALL city driving with three occupants at all times. Air cond. running at least 50% of driving time. Still waiting to see the improvement on second tank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Done my second tank now, 311 miles to light on, averaged a much better 27.1 MPG in mixed city and Hwy driving. Things must be loosening up.
    24.5k miles. same driving i alway do, but this summer averaging about 33 mpg. there was to 200 mile highway round trip included. in other words, i can't believe i'm matching the epa highway rating doing my regular commute (just over 27 miles round trip.)
  • I'm shocked and disgusted: 20.5 mpg in around-town driving, A/C used more than half the time. I just bought this car with 34000 mi on the odo, and high gas mileage wasn't a big consideration in the purchase. That said, my previous car was an Olds with a 3.5L V-6 and 700 lbs heavier; I would have got 19-21 mpg on that car under the same circumstances, and would have done so in greater comfort.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Done my second tank now, 311 miles to light on, averaged a much better 27.1 MPG in mixed city and Hwy driving. Things must
    ------------------------------------------------------

Third tank, 100% hwy with air cond on 50% of the time and trunk well loaded with LOTS of stuff and got a VERY GOOD 33 mpg. NOT BAD!!
    newer cars take a long time to break in the drivetrain.
  • First tank on ours was 32MPG, mostly 1/2 hour highway commutes. Pretty happy with that, hopefully will continue to improve.
  • I started out getting about 28 MPG in 50/50 city highway driving. A year and a half later I'm getting about 32 MPG. This is the first car I've driven where I've actually gotten better milage than the EPA 26 city 32 highway.
  • I'm on the 2nd tank for a 2007 sedan with a 5-speed. Roughly 50/50 driving and I've averaged 32 and 32.5 mpg so far. My driving is usually about 80% highway and after more miles, I'm hoping to see around 35 mpg based on my past two Fords with Duratec engines.