Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• I just received some info from Superior Ford in MN. The motors are the same for 06 and 07. The 07 has been tuned slightly different for fuel efficiency. My 06 was rated at 144 hp while the 07 Duratec 2.0 is rated at 136hp but the hy mpg was upped to 37. I have got as high as 33.9 and as low as 21 (pulling a trailer). My average has been 29. 2.0 SES 5sp. I am thinking about doing some mods to the intake and getting it re-tuned. Happy driving :-)
  • juppjupp Posts: 7
    First tank after buying new (full fill up to spout done by me) 270 miles to light-on. About 23 mpg BUT keep in mind, this was the maiden tank of gas on a new car and I assume things are still tight and need to wear a bit before optimum mpg is attained, and also this tank was pretty much ALL city driving with three occupants at all times. Air cond. running at least 50% of driving time. Still waiting to see the improvement on second tank.
    First tank after buying new (full fill up to spout done by me) 270 miles to light-on. About 23 mpg BUT keep in mind, this was the maiden tank of gas on a new car and I assume things are still tight and need to wear a bit before optimum mpg is attained, and also this tank was pretty much ALL city driving with three occupants at all times. Air cond. running at least 50% of driving time. Still waiting to see the improvement on second tank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Done my second tank now, 311 miles to light on, averaged a much better 27.1 MPG in mixed city and Hwy driving. Things must be loosening up.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,613
    24.5k miles. same driving i alway do, but this summer averaging about 33 mpg. there was to 200 mile highway round trip included. in other words, i can't believe i'm matching the epa highway rating doing my regular commute (just over 27 miles round trip.)
  • I'm shocked and disgusted: 20.5 mpg in around-town driving, A/C used more than half the time. I just bought this car with 34000 mi on the odo, and high gas mileage wasn't a big consideration in the purchase. That said, my previous car was an Olds with a 3.5L V-6 and 700 lbs heavier; I would have got 19-21 mpg on that car under the same circumstances, and would have done so in greater comfort.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Done my second tank now, 311 miles to light on, averaged a much better 27.1 MPG in mixed city and Hwy driving. Things must
    ------------------------------------------------------

Third tank, 100% hwy with air cond on 50% of the time and trunk well loaded with LOTS of stuff and got a VERY GOOD 33 mpg. NOT BAD!!
    newer cars take a long time to break in the drivetrain.
  • First tank on ours was 32MPG, mostly 1/2 hour highway commutes. Pretty happy with that, hopefully will continue to improve.
  • I started out getting about 28 MPG in 50/50 city highway driving. A year and a half later I'm getting about 32 MPG. This is the first car I've driven where I've actually gotten better milage than the EPA 26 city 32 highway.
  • I'm on the 2nd tank for a 2007 sedan with a 5-speed. Roughly 50/50 driving and I've averaged 32 and 32.5 mpg so far. My driving is usually about 80% highway and after more miles, I'm hoping to see around 35 mpg based on my past two Fords with Duratec engines.
  • comp386comp386 Posts: 56
    Wow my MPG suffered after going to 100% highway. I recently moved and I go about 70 (yeah I follow the speed limit) on the freeway for my entire commute and I'm down to 29-30 MPG. I was getting better fuel economy going local with some minor gridlock. Very odd :confuse: .
  • Update: well, I've got a few more miles on this now but I'm still not too impressed. On two different in-town mileage checks, 20 and 24.7 (acceptable), and a 180 mile day trip that was 80% highway cruising got a hair under 29 mpg, with no A/C usage. As said previously, I could have done as well in the Olds Intrigue (except for the 24.7 city.
  • I turned over 20k miles. My last trip from SLC, UT to Olympic NTL Park, WA - mostly highway 65-75 mph, but some urban (Portland, Boise, Olympia). I averaged 36 mpg. I also was able to remove the back lower seat (only 2 bolts), drop the back rests, put my luggage behind the front seats and create a 6ft 5 inch X 4ish foot bed. Inflate the thermarests... Perfect for those windy nights when camping outside was just too loud!
  • These results are for a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST with the 2.3 liter Duratec engine and 5-speed manual transmission (as are all STs)and 25,000 miles. I bought the car used but there are no obvious signs of wear. It is fully optioned (so I assume the heaviest version.) It easily passes for new. It does mean someone else did the initial break-in of the engine. The original owners were happy enough to replace the Focus with a new Ford Fusion -- a returning customer is a good sign with a used car.

So far with about 2,000 miles of experience, I am averaging 27-28 mpg. My standard gasoline is a 10% ethanol blend that may cut economy some as ethanol has a lower energy density than pure gasoline. My mix of highway and city is about 60/40. The lowest measurement was an all-in-town tank at 24.8 mpg.

Interstate driving at 70 mph + is yielding right at 30 mpg with several runs between Des Moines and Minneapolis at around 70-75 mph (the prevailing speed).

I've really only done one long road trip on 55 mph roads and as an experiment pegged the cruise at 55 to see how much better I could do than at Interstate speeds. Pretty good as it turns out. Over 250 miles it yielded 37.9 mpg.

I'm happy with these results as the 2.3 liter manual is a very flexible drive train in the Focus. In town it cuts and thrusts with verve. Freeway entrance acceleration is great. My only complaint is road noise at highway speeds, but it is an economy car, not a Buick. The road noise is more tire noise than wind noise. The throaty exhaust note is great and part of the fun and I wouldn't change it.

The ST delivers a fun, flexible sedan that can be sporting when your foot is heavy and efficient when you're willing to go slow. It is tempting when the engine responds so willingly.

There are cars that do much better but the cost of acquisition is generally much higher or they are much smaller. I had a much loved Suzuki Swift for many years that was reliable as could be but frankly a tin can for safety. I never tested the Swift's crash worthiness but was always aware I didn't want to hit anything in it. The Focus by contrast is a real car, larger and more solid, with only slightly less fuel economy and a huge boost in perceived power and sophistication. I still don't want to hit anything but the ST has better active safety (serious P6 tires, ABS and traction control) and reasonable passive safety (side air bags and reasonable front collision scores for a small car). In the value equation the Focus ST scores well in my experience.
    imo, great review. i have an '04 zts with the same drivetrain. the engine is amazingly flexible.
    my car has slightly smaller tires, so it gets a bit better mileage. it has never been on a 250 trip.
    wish i had that exhaust system to 'st' has.
  • i thought this forum was for svt focii strictly, all i see is focus wagon and sedans , whats up ???
    thre are several ways to get to a particular forum. they are not always obvious. 2.3 kicks butt! ;)
  • fnewbyfnewby Posts: 4
    2001 Focus, 2.0 liter 16 valve engine, 5sp trans. I get 32 mpg on a regular basis - 35-36 on trips (drive to DC from the Philly area 1-2/month). One trip to North Carolina got 40mpg. Best car I ever owned!!
    FTN
  • 28.25585295 mpg
    140517.6 miles
    4973.044 gallons

11/26/2000-2/22/2007 (Purchased 11/20/2000 with 20 miles)

2000 Ford Focus SE
    16 valve 2.0L Zetec

Also:
    $5779 in maintenance costs
    Maintenance Cost per mile: $0.04/mile
    Gas Cost: $.08/mile
    Total Purchase Price: $21000
    Cost per mile (200000mile lifespan): $.105
    Total CPM: $.225/mi
  • I've got 9950 miles on my 2007 ST.

The comments on the 2005 ST also pertain to the 2007. It is a wonderful little car, IMO, the best "bang for the buck" in compact cars today. If I could change one thing, it would be to make it RWD. I traded a 1999 Miata in for the Focus, and the Focus is as much fun, in it's own way. If it were convertible and RWD, I'd not miss the Miata at all.

I've only made 2 modifications to the car. I replaced the stock rear sway bar with one 1mm larger, which gave the car near neutral handling, and replaced the mediocre Pirelli P6s with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s, of the same size as stock. Those two things really transformed the car.

I have kept very detailed records of fuel economy.

Overall is 27.01MPG with roughly 75% of that on cross country trips.

Worst fuel economy has been 20.41MPG with pure short trips and lots of idling. The next tank under the same conditions got me 21.96.

Normal Houston city commuting has been in the 24-25 MPG range.

Highway fuel economy has been higly dependent on speed.
    Best has been 32.33MPG keeping speed in the 65-70MPH range.
    70-75 usually gets 29-30MPG, while 80-85 nets 27-28MPG.

Looked at on a graph, fuel economy has been steadily climbing, especially in the first 5000 miles.

I wish the car had a higher final drive like the 2004s. I'm sure the fuel economy would be a good deal better, and I doubt acceleration would be hurt much, as the engine has torque to spare.