Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• dromedariusdromedarius Member Posts: 307
    There is most definitely a drop-off in mileage for ethanol. I've tracked mileage on our last three vehicles (CR-V, Prizm, Focus) and have noticed a drop of 1-2 mpg on a tank of 10% ethanol. Our 2000 Focus is pretty consistent, getting around 31 mpg in mixed driving. When my wife drives that drops 2-3 mpg, which is pretty standard as she drives more aggressively stoplight to stoplight.

We purchased this 00' Focus ZTS w/91k miles in April after I totaled my '01 Prizm, and while the mileage isn't as good, the ride is far superior, so much so that we use it as our primary vehicle from time to time, depending on the situation. I NEVER had my little boys in the Prizm; it was just far too small.
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    I have an '01 Focus wagon. Several people have asked about it and I told them it no longer come in wagon model.
    Heading east on US 50 from Reno recently I was surprised to clock a tank at 38 mpg, the highest I have ever achieved with this car. Driving with the wind may have helped as I have noticed before that sometimes driving west to east with a noticeable wind coming from the west that I got better mileage. Dropping from the elevation near Lake Tahoe may also have been a factor.

On US 50 from Reno to Gunnison, Colorado I consistently clocks tanks at 34 to 36 mpg. I kept the cruise at 65 mph and cut the AC when going up grades.

The NY Times of 26 Jul page B1 has an article about how ethanol may reduce mileage with car with smaller engines. I suspect in Nevada and Utah that I was running 100 percent gasoline that got me those 34 to 36 mpg tanks. In South Dakota running with "corn pone" (as I call it) blend a tank dropped to 32 mpg.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    1 gallon of E85 has less energy than a gallon of regular old gas which has less energy than a gallon of diesel.

Fact is that there is less energy in a gallon of E85 than was spent turning dirt and seeds in to E85 and getting it to your tank.

Corn farming requires fertilizer made from Oil.
    Corn farming requires tractors that burn oil.
    Corn has to be transported to an Ethanol plant by trains or trucks that burn Oil.
    Ethanol requires production in a plant that uses Electricity made from Oil/coal
    Ethanol then has to be transported by a truck or in a tank car by rail again burning OIL!!!!!

At every stage of production, Ethanol is less efficient than plain old OIL.
    Corn can't be transported in Super Tankers or pipelines.
    and neither can Ethanol.

Ethanol is a GIANT SCAM!

Mark
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    I previously reported mileage after about 2,000 miles of experience with my used 2005 Ford Focus and 27,000 total miles. At that time I was getting about 27 MPG. Now with 65,000 on the clock, it is time to update that report.

It's all good. Over the 40,000 miles of driving, I'm averaging slightly better than 30 MPG. The ST is still rock solid and a joy to drive. I decided to update today after realizing just how much fun the Focus ST is on a beautiful morning drive. It still makes me grin. No squeaks, no rattles. Perfectly composed handling and steering. Zero unscheduled maintenance costs. It still looks and performs as new. I've gone through P6 tires at about 30,000 miles for each set. I've used Valvoline pure synthetic oil. I've performed all factory scheduled maintenance. And that's it. Absolutely great car. I've since bought a 2008 Mercury Milan Premier with the same engine for my wife's primary car and it yields 27.7 MPG average in the bigger car with a 5-speed automatic. Very impressive. My experience matches the recent quality and reliability surveys that suggest that Ford is now on par with Toyota. The Focus is remarkably competent for an affordable economy car. The purposeful styling hides a driver's car that is truly a blast to drive and is still easy on fuel, more important now that gasoline is a $4.00 per gallon. I thank my lucky stars I test drove the Focus. I think it had languished on the dealer's lot because not that many people can drive manual transmissions any more. It fit me perfectly and was fun then. Nothing else I was looking at then would be saving as much money today and still be as much fun. Thank you Ford.
  • tlworkroomtlworkroom Member Posts: 9
    I know that 34K miles isn't that much, compared to when these cars can go over 200,000 miles easily on their engines if taken care of properly. I'm a firm believer in using oil cleaners and gas additives to make sure engines are properly clean.

I used to drive for courier company in New Mexico, USA, and we use Focus ZX3 with 5 sp manual tranny. When brand new, they were rockets!! I was lucky that I wasn't caught checking how fast it would go on interstate, like some of other drivers did. But most of these cars were driven HARD, and I was able to make 33-35 mpg at 75 mph speed limit on freeway, which is where I always drove my car, with very little city driving. But that was because I always used gas additive to clean engine. I also changed oil myself many times, occasionally using "Motor Flush" to clean out oil completely. Some might feel I wasted my money, but I got the mpg I desired from it.

But even your car probably wouldn't gain great benefits from what I've described above. Seems like something else might be the problem, possibly mechanical. I know that automatic transmissions don't get as good mpg as 5 sp tranny's, but I've gotten my beatup 1991 Geo Prizm with 240K miles on it to go from 28 mpg to 35 mpg highway by cleaning up engine inside and out.

Only other suggestion I might make is to try Bosch "+2" plugs. They burn the gas mixture more effectively, and is what allowed my junker to finally achieve the 35 mpg on highway.
    My best ever clocked tank was 38 mpg while driving west to east on US 50 in Nevada. I think several factors may have been in play: A) driving east with the wind. B) Descending a bit in elevation from Reno while driving toward Fallon. C) The possibility that I bought a tank of 100 percent gasoline in Nevada without ethanol bringing down my mileage as happen later in South Dakota. And, D) keeping the cruise control at 65 and turning off the AC while going up grades.

I'm not a mileage geek as portrayed on ABC Nightline a few months ago where one fella never exceeded 20 mph while driving to work in Chicago on tires 10 to 20 pounds over inflated. But I am curious if anyone has ever cracked 40 mpg in a Focus.
  • misamisa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 manual. I drove 380 miles from Binghamton, NY to Pittsburgh, PA going mostly the speed limit or under, ranging from 45-50 mph in construction zones, 55 mph zones and 65 mph interstate. I got 48 mpg with gasoline from Mobil. I didn't use A/C or the cd player. I had the windows up and the fan going at 2.

On the way back, I used gasoline from BP and got all the way back to Binghamton without having to stop for gas. I only used 8.8 gallons of gas for 382 miles so I got about 43 mpg. There were alot of stop and go construction on the way back on 80 E. I was amazed I could get so much mpg from a Ford Focus.

I didn't use the brakes very much and was able to coast down the hills without using the accelerator.

When I used to go 75-85 mph, I only got 30 mpg. When I went 95 mph, I only got 26 mpg. For regular city driving, I get about 29 mpg.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I was wondering if anyone who swapped in a K&N Air filter got better fuel econ.

Mark
    I advise using your AC since you paid for it and it doesn't cut mpg much. Also, from what I read an air cleaner does not effect mpg much when it becomes dirty. Using a electronics such as a CD player in a car will not drop your mpg due to using battery power.
  • justinjjustinj Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Focus, 5 spd...mostly expressway driving, usually 75 mph, and usually get 33-34 mpg (display usually says 35). I think driving around the speed limit, you should be able to get 38 or so- my wife took it to SC, and said she thought there were times they averaged 40. I usually accelerate briskly as well...someday, I'll try to have patience and just see what I can average for a week...80 miles round trip to work.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    >>Wow my MPG suffered after going to 100% highway. I recently moved and I go about 70 (yeah I follow the speed limit) on the freeway for my entire commute and I'm down to 29-30 MPG. I was getting better fuel economy going local with some minor gridlock. Very odd
    >>

Not odd, really. This actually sounds just about right. Don't underestimate the effect of excessive speed on fuel economy. You may not think 70 is excessive, but try dropping to 60 and see your fuel economy dramatically increase. I'd say about 10% better.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I keep religious tally of fuel economy, being somewhat of a statistical nut. Here's my numbers, for a 2007 2.0L SES 5-speed run almost exclusively with E10. (EPA revised rating of 24/33).

As of 11-21-08, with 29560 miles on the clock:
    :) Best tank: 40.84 mpg
    :( Worst tank: 29.66 mpg (first tank)
    :shades: Average: 34.76 mpg
    :surprise: Most miles on a single tank: 421
    :mad: Total spent on gas over 15 months: $2,786.39
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I just purchased this so can't report on gas mileage yet - I have just 200 miles on it. Almost all the miles on it are mine - I was the first and last to test drive it, when I pulled it out of the lot it had 6 miles on it, when I purchased it, it had 26 miles on it - I test drove it twice, first time to see if I liked it, second time two weeks later to make sure nothing had happened to it since the first test drive (like clutch abuse from another test driver - yeah, that can happen).

I re-set the digital gas mileage readout after the dealer filled the tank and also zeroed the trip meter.

Generally I don't have a special break-in routine, I believe that my normal commute, which combines about 10% city miles and 90% mixed freeway miles (high speed, slow and go, occasionally some stop and go) is a good break in routine, provided I don't lug it (let the rpm's go too low and then try to accelerate with heavy throttle, instead of downshifting) or use more than 3/4 throttle (and only use more than 1/4 throttle after fully warmed up).

Since I intend to drive from SF to LA this afternoon, though, I decided to try to accelerate the break-in period with some more aggressive driving than usual. I mention this because it drags down the gas mileage, which I will report in a moment.

To accelerate the break in period, I first varied my commute to include more city driving. I drove to a more remote on-ramp, which includes a hill climb. City driving has more acceleration and coast down (cool down) cycles and is supposedly better for seating the rings. It also varies the RPM, which is the only admonition in the owners manual (which basically states, don't drive too hard or at one constant speed).

Second, I accelerated more aggressively and ran the rpm higher during slow and go traffic and on the streets. Instead of limiting my self to 1/4 throttle, I ran it up to 1/2 throttle; instead of shifting at 2,500 rpm, I ran it up to 4,000. These brief, harder runs supposedly "buff" high spots (of which there are few in modern engines) without creating excessive heat or galling. Keeping the rpm away from the 6,500 rpm assures there is plenty of oil flow (after this is broken in, I will replace the factory oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic, which is reportedly very superior to conventional oils in maintaining an oil film if there is reduced flow at very high rpm, and it is also more resistant to thermal breakdown at high rpm when the operating temperatures can peak and there isn't a lot of oil flow to carry heat away).

My goal was to drive it harder than my usual break-in to accelerate break-in, but no so hard that I would be stressing the engine. In short, compared to my normal mild-mannered driving style, I drove the new car more the way the typical aggressive American driver drives routinely. :P

All of the above tend to reduce mileage, so I haven't been expecting much in the first couple of hundred miles, but to my surprise the computer is registering 34.5 mpg!

Well, I'll be putting about 800 freeway miles on it over the next three days. I'll report back on both computer indicated mileage and on calculated mileage. As the earlier poster notes, the sweet spot for mileage is usually 50-60 mph, but interstate speeds are more like 70-80 mph. I'll try to keep it down to 70, but almost all my other cars have been 2-4 mpg lower for interstate trips than for my commute (which has much lower average speeds).

Finally - my thoughts on break-in. In my experience, modern motors are still breaking in at 15,000 miles, but for all practical purposes (driveability, gas mileage, power) the process is mostly completely by 7,500 miles. Of the first 7,500 miles, the first 200 are MOST critical, but from 600 to 1000 miles any critical break-in buffing is complete and the car can be driven hard (many owner's manuals state a 600 to 1,000 mile "cautious" break-in period, followed by no precautions). So I'm going to take the next 400 miles "easy" and will welcome any pre-Thanksgiving traffic that will slow down the interstate. After I hit 600 miles - essentially for my return trip - I'll just drive it completely normally. If I don't run into Thanksgiving slowdowns today, I'll vary my interstate driving speeds by spending some time in the turtle - I mean truck - lane and some time in the car lanes, which gives me a range of from 50 mph to 80 mph to assist the break in process. I considered changing to Mobil 1 before the trip, but the Motorcraft 5-20 oil that Ford developed is such a superior lubricant that I think it will work just fine, if I keep my throttle, top speeds, and steady speeds in the break-in mode.
  • sryder32sryder32 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car in September 2008, and I live in Raleigh, NC. I now have 6800 miles on the car. When the weather was warmer, I would get about 31 MPG. Now with the colder weather, I get about 29 MPG. My drive to and from work each day is 30 miles, 85% of which is highway at 75 to 80mph. Aside from work, I do errands with the car, which is more like 50% stop-and-go and 50% highway.

One thing I notice is that the car's self-proclaimed Average MPG is always over stated. It consistently says I'm getting at least 3 MPG more than I calculate at each fill up.

The MPG is "okay" in my opinion. Other cars that I considered (and test-drove) before buying Focus were the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris and Corolla, and Nissan Versa. The Focus had the most comfort, quietest interior, and more features than the others for about the same price. So I'm happy overall. In fact, I love the little thing! Just wish the MPG were a little higher.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I know it would be difficult, however, If you drop the 75-80 down several mph, you will see mid -thirties mpg. EPA mileage estimates are not based on your 75-80.
    My experience with the trip computers ( in a ford probe ) some years back was similar to yours, actual mpg was about 3 less than indicated.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Stick shift or auto?
  • hineblazerhineblazer Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 SE. I believe it is a 5 speed auto trans. Definitely find that if you keep it below 60 mph you get better mpg. I have modified the fuel delivery system to include a fuel heater. This seems to keep me up to 34 to 35 mpg in the winter here in Chicago. I also add lucus fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube to the mix, about 2 ounces a fill up. Warm weather is getting me closer to 37.5 to 38 mpg.
    I must ask, does this "Fuel Heater" work in the summer-time as well? I don't see this being a good idea under those conditions. Who sells this Product. ?
    The Focus A/T is a 4-speed unit w/ overdrive, that is your 5th gear. The "green-zone" would be to keep to a reasonable speed on the Highway ( below 60 is probably dangerous today )
    The RpM"s on my 2.3 ZTS would be about 2250 at that speed, which I think is about equivalent to top gear in the five-speed manual tranny.
    EPA estimates will usually show MPG slightly better for M/T models. That does not mean that real world results will be the same. It is problematic at best, but most drivers do not use the tranny to optimize mileage. With an A/T the driver would only need to "train the foot" to apply as little throttle pressure as required to drive effectively.

mark
  • jeromebjeromeb Member Posts: 31
    With the A/C in use, the fuel economy for my commute is about 25 mpg.
    With the A/C not in use, the fuel economy for my commute is about 29 mpg.
    With the A/C not in use, and coasting to stops with the transmission disengaged, my fuel economy is 32 mpg.

My commute is 13 miles one way, about half highway and half surface streets.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    when i figured out how to read the computer, the mpg's read 36+.
    i reset it and when i turned it in it read 33.
    it had a 4 speed auto. i was impressed, since my commute is less than 14 miles each way.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Couldn't agree more with the above post. Bought my '03 Focus SVT used in '06 when gas hit $3.20/gal. It had 15k on it then, now has 67k. Outside of tires (2 sets of z-rated hi-po rubber) and at-home oil and filter changes, in the past 50k, I have not spent any money on the car! Still on the original brake pads and rotors and the interior (black leather Recaro's) looks like new with just a little work. I never expected to keep this car as long as I have (I get bored with cars easily) but find that there's nothing on the market that lights my fire enough to replace the SVT. It's a shame Ford discontinued the original hatchback design and SVT version as I'd gladly buy a new one over a Civic Si or similar. Hopefully the 2011 Focus will have a SVT version as mine will surely have 100k+ on it by then and I'll be ready for something new... I think!
  • auto2009auto2009 Member Posts: 2
    People seam to assume the computer is wrong but I have found a lot of gas pumps are not accurate. most pumps that I have been to within 10 miles of my house seam to be off by as much as 3/4 of a gallon per fill up. I have found 2 that are within .1 off for a fill up. these descrepancies can make it seam like your car is off but more likley you are not getting the gas you are paying for.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'd agree that sometimes different pumps behave differently about when they shut off when filling the tank, but the amount of gasoline they deliver and what you pay for is certainly accurate as those pumps have to be regularly calibrated and certified.

And even though calculating your mileage is simple (and something I do at every fill-up) a lot of people make basic mistakes when doing so. I recall one person who was looking for a new car, but wanted something that got the same mileage as her old one. She said she was getting 35-40 mpg on her old car, but there was no way that was happening since the EPA mileage estimates on that car were like 25-27 highway. What happened was the very first time she filled the car up, it took about 10 gallons of fuel, so she assumed that a fillup meant she had a 10 gallon tank. When she'd drive a tank almost dry, she'd fill up and then divide however many miles she had driven by 10. Problem was she had about a 15 gallon tank! So while she THOUGHT she was getting 35mpg, she was actually getting 23mpg.

But the basic calculation is simple. Fill up, drive, and at the next fill up, divide the miles driven by the number of gallons you put in the tank. Yes, you can get the occasional "short fill" when a pump shuts off short of really filling the tank which can give you a higher mileage number, but that will correct itself the next fillup when you actually do fill up completely.

I use the mileage calculation as a general guide to the health of my cars. If the mileage suddenly changes lower I sort of go on alert. If it stays low on the next fillup or tow, there may be some problem. But if it comes back to normal, it either was a fillup variation or some change in my normal driving patterns that caused the drop.

But back to my original point, I don't think there's any way that a pump is delivering 3/4 of a gallon less than it says it is. On a 10 gallon fillup that's a 7% error. Just not going to happen on a regular basis.
  • sammy3165sammy3165 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our Focus (2009 sedan -SEL) for just four weeks. Around town we were getting about 28.5 to 29.0 per gallon. My wife is an RN and makes short (10-15 mile) trips from visit to visit. This past week-end, we traveled 358 miles from our home in Southwest, FL to Brunswick, GA. I was very surprised and pleased when the car would "only" take 10 gallons of gas when I filled up for the return trip. That 35.8 figure with automatic and cool AC while cruising at 75 mph was really good news. I traded in an Escape that would do only about 25 mpg highways on its best day.
  • jcp123jcp123 Member Posts: 3
    I kept track of the '04 Infra-Red SVT Focus I had for 7358,8 miles. In that time:

28,73mpg average
    21,22 worst
    36,61 best

I noticed that SVT's are fuel-intensive in town, usually getting 22-24ish on a commute cycle, though with some mild hypermiling I usually garnered in the range of 27-28 on my commutes. However, on extended freeway travel, knocking down 33-35mpg tanks wasn't that hard to achieve.
  • europawilleuropawill Member Posts: 1
    I've been very satisfied with the mpg i'm getting in the SVT. This car has an awesome combination of performance and efficiency.

The car currently has about 70k and was bought new in 2004.

I had flashed the computer at the Ford dealer with the latest profile (I think sometime in 2005).

I've been averaging about 28-31mpg in mixed but mostly highway. Its usually consistently either 29 or 30mpg mixed. I usually drive at an indicated 70-75mph on the highway. I also drive very conservatively in the city and only rarely will I go past 4500k RPM.

Best I've ever recorded was 37mpg on a trip from NY to Boston. I didn't think it was possible but I traveled 283.3 miles on only 7.65 gallons. It was mild weather in the 60's, had the windows closed most of the way and kept the car mostly on cruise control at an indicated 65-75mph (my gps says my speedo is about 7% optimistic so my real speeds were ~60-72mph).

Is this the highest mpg seen on a SVT?
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    I just want to share my experience with a 2009 Focus, AT, odometer 13500 miles.

I have had this car for the last 4 days and used it for my usual commute. 40% is city, 40% is highway and 20% rural roads.

I drive 47 miles each way (75 Kms) and keep speeds at 62 Mph or less. Other than for accelerating away from a red light I rarely go over 2000 RPMs. When I accelerate I do it rather swiftly. No use of AC. Ambient temperatures between 45 and 71.

My average, not by the computer but by dividing gallons used by miles traveled is 42.

My my normal ride, a 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0. S with CVT only achieves 37 MPG, probably because it is somewhat heavier.

Locally I can purchase a brand new 2010 Focus (AC/AT) for US$ 14095 plus taxes. Seems like a real good deal to me.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    You should be able to do better than that look around with all the rebates off. take the $3000 off invoice ( not MSRP) thats where you should be able to purchase.

Good luck
  • highmiler650highmiler650 Member Posts: 75
    I will check with all the local dealerships and have them provide me with their best offer.

Many thanks for the advice.
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    I bought my 2011 Focus sedan new in February 2011; it's a base model that came with a hefty rebate. It drives a lot like my 2003 did but with softer tires and suspension (I blame the OEM Hankook's vs. the Goodyear's Ford used in 2003). The more powerful engine (140 vs. 2003's 110 hp) and stability control are a fair trade though; overall I'm quite pleased with the car.

I have checked nearly every tank fill=to-fill for over a year noting the computer's stated MPG (reset every tank), gallons used, and miles. Here's what I've learned:

1. If the 89 octane ethanol blend is only 10 cents per gallon less, I save money by paying 10 cents more per gallon for the 87 octane without ethanol due to increased mileage. I run ethanol every fourth tank or so because the ethanol carries any moisture in the fuel system out the tailpipe (like Heet).

2. The MPG counter on my car is 5-15% optimistic. I have never had it come within 5% of calculated MPG, it's always high. It says 36 MPG, math shows 33.5. It says 42.5 MPG, math is 38 (roughly).

3. I get 400-460 miles per tank at 11.5 to 13.1 gallons per fill. High score was exactly one tank just a drop over 40 MPG so far, average is 30-34 winter, 34-38 summer. And yes, I've ran the 'MILES REMAINING' indicator up to 8 miles past zero. I know, I know, that's not good for the fuel pump...

In summary, I would recommend any 2003 or newer Focus to anyone shopping used that prefers to buy American (both of mine were built in Michigan). I have needed only maintenance, no repairs for 115,000 miles on the 2003 I sold in 2007 and 25,000 so far on my 2011.
  • sobsbocsobsboc Member Posts: 4
    Please post real world MPG figures here and state whether you have the "SFE" package or which power train, driving conditions, etc.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    I have a 2012 SEL sedan with the dual clutch auto. I get about 32 mpg in mixed city / suburban road driving (no expressway). The car has 1700 miles on it so far so that should improve over time. The computer displayed 42 mpg once after a 30-mile easy country road drive.
  • bwhittle216bwhittle216 Member Posts: 7
    I am getting 27-28 miles mpg with 80% of my driving on flat/straight road with few traffic light stops. My rpm runs at 27000 at 70 mph. I have a 2011 ford fusion with the I4 engine and it runs at 17000 rpm at 70 mph. Any ideas on why the focus is underperforming per their rating of 27-37 mpg? I ahve a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport Hatchback with automatic transmission.
    edited March 2012
    Suggesting to you that something is not right here. The RPM's should be lower. I do not have any direct experience with these cars, but your 4 cylinder Focus with 6 speed auto transmission should allow the engine to turn about the same speed as your 6 speed Fusion. The Fusion engine may have a bit more torque than the Focus, based mainly on its larger displacement., but it is also pushing around considerably more weight.

In my '04 Focus with the 2.3 engine, I do about 2750 rpm, at 70mph, about 3100 rpm at 80. It has 118,000 miles which I have had since new.
    It is returning about the same mileage now as new. It really depends on how aggressive I am driving. I will tell you that I am easily getting 27-28 in mixed driving if I drive reasonably. Some thing is not right with your tranny. Have it checked.
    edited March 2012
    2700 rpm @ 70 mph is a little high. Should be more like 2500-2550. Have you had the latest transmission software update done? Others have reported that that has moved the shift points a little and resulted in lower highway rpm's.

These new Focus's are known for fuel economy dropping off much quicker with increased speed than usual. They also seem to be more sensitive to fuel. On the other hand if you can manage to keep the speed under 60 on a highway trip you should see over 40 mpg...
  • erzeszuterzeszut Member Posts: 16
    Under 60mph on a highway trip? On many (perhaps even most) US highways, that speed is well out of the norm of the traffic flow and could be dangerous.
    My service manager is supposed to check out the software update at my request. That was my thoughts too in cking performance issue. I have to agree that i would probably cause traffic issues traveling at 60 or below on the fourlane hjghways i travel and still feel
    mpg perflrmance should not be compromised going 65-70 mph in todays world.there are no indications of such in the Ford commercial boasting of 40 mpg vehicles. Holefully updating software will help my mpg performance issue. Thanks for your input.
  • joegiantjoegiant Member Posts: 90
    Approaching 3500 miles on our new 5spd Focus SE. With about a 90% highway usage (fun driving commuter car btw) just hit 36.0 on the mpg meter. Just what the window sticker suggested. Satisfied. And as mentioned in a previous post, this engine does run high on the tach at 70mph but I really don't care. 36 mpg hwy is 36 mpg hwy. :D
  • gkachmargkachmar Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    I just returned from a three week trip to Italy where we rented a base level 2011 Focus hatchback with 45K kilometers on the odometer, a TDI Diesel, six speed manual and 15" wheels. It rode comfortably, handled well, did not lack for acceleration or passing power, held two 24" suitcases and two 21" carry-ons easily in the covered trunk, felt safe and secure at 100+ mph on autostradas and averaged 43 mpg (5.5 liters per 100 KM) over 900+ miles. Most of the driving was in congested traffic and about half on twisty mountain roads in Campania and the Abruzzo.

We were so impressed that I looked into buying a similar car to replace an aging SAAB wagon.

But, here in the USA:

- no Diesel
    - five speed gearbox
    - harsh riding 18" wheels/tires if you want upscale features and a nicer interior
    - also, no station wagon

I'll believe the "One Ford" slogan when they start selling Focus and Fusion (Mondeo) Diesel station wagons with six speed manuals. Until then it's just marketing B.S.
    "- harsh riding 18" wheels/tires if you want upscale features and a nicer interior "

Not true. The 18" wheels are only in the optional Handling package on the Titanium trim. The Titanium normally comes with 17" wheels. You can also get most of the Titanium features in a fully loaded SEL which also has 17" wheels.

"I'll believe the "One Ford" slogan when they start selling Focus and Fusion (Mondeo) Diesel station wagons with six speed manuals. Until then it's just marketing B.S."

When diesels and wagons start selling well here I'm sure more companies will bring them here.
  • gkachmargkachmar Member Posts: 2
    You're right about the 18" wheels, but I think even 17" wheels are too big for a car this size, unless you are after handling above considerations such as ride comfort and not getting blowouts when hitting a pot hole.

"One Ford" is open to interpretation. To me it means selling basically the same cars here and in Europe, not selling two or three similar models in each area. Compare the vehicles offered by Ford UK, Ford Germany and Ford USA.

In Europe Ford has abandoned cars larger than the Mondeo and most sedans, ceding those markets to GM, VW/Audi, BMW, MB, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai etc. Here they have given up on station wagons, are just beginning to offer turbos and Diesels are limited to trucks.

With almost all manufacturers except BMW and Mercedes dropping wagons in favor of higher profit SUVs in the USA it is less a matter of what people want to buy than of what manufacturers choose to sell. You can't buy wagons or Diesels if they are not available for sale

With gas prices over $4 a gallon and rising, the difference between "up to 40 mpg" and easily attaining 40-50 mpg in everyday driving becomes more and more obvious.

The last Diesel I rented in Europe was a Peugeot 407 wagon, about the size of a BMW 5 series. It delivered 50+ mpg overall in back road cruising in relatively flat areas. That the Focus only managed 43 mpg overall was because most of the driving was in congested city traffic or mountain roads. No USA Focus comes close to 43 mpg overall, much less the 55 mpg we saw at a steady 70 mph on highways.

I wish Ford well with their marketing plans, but remain disappointed at the range of models and drive trains available here.
    I was just trying to analize/get ideas why MY ford focus isn't performing as it should.Glad you did get 36 mpg, just wish I could reach that mark too. Ford service hasn't come up with a solution yet. I drive 100- to 250 miles per day in my work so that is why it is such a big issue to me. Makes for a big dent in my wallet comparing best at 29,84 mpg compared to advertised 36/37 mpg. Have generally exceeded mpg rating on most previously owned cars. Thanks for any input.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact [email protected] with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
  • theshumtheshum Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2010 Focus SE with 48K miles this past weekend. As a test, reset the MPG for my commute this morning and got 45 MPG. Now my commute has almost no stops and is about a 25 minute drive. I live in Southern AZ and the roads are pretty flat. Not very many lights to be stopped at on my commute, and it is mostly highway/interstate.

Obviously I can't guarantee I will always get this MPG, but I am pretty happy about it.
    -Dave
  • revssrevss Member Posts: 20
    I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. It has 1240 miles on it and I am only getting 21 MPG. I drive mostly city which is flat. This does not seem to be
    good. I was told that I needed to wait longer for the car to break in by the dealer. Up to the first service which is 7500. Is that right? The manual says that there is a 1K break in period. I get about 250 miles out of one tank.
    Yeah that is unusually bad. Go on fuelly.com and you'll see that most people average 31-32. Of course if all you take is short city trips with lots of stops it'll be significantly worse than that. My mileage gradually increased a few mpg over 3,000 miles, now have about 4,500 on the odo and averaging 33 in suburban driving. But short low-speed trips will kill mileage in any car. What were you driving before and what mileage did you get on the same route?
    I have had my 2012 ford focus se sport since last june, have 26000 miles plus on it and still get an average of 29.58 mpg using 100% gas and driving 90 % on flat four lane road.
    I would suggest you continue to keep in contact with the dealership if your mileage does not improve. By their ( Ford) standards; do 5 fillups and document the mpg on each tank of gas and then divide by 5 the total miles to see what your average is then. The added frustration of the under-performance is seeing a ford add humpteen times a day on their 40 mpg cars. Argggg.
    I was driving a Mazda Tribute(compact SUV) and getting about 14 MPG.
    My commute to work is about 6 miles on streets. Actually that is not
    100% true. Most of the mornings I do try to use the freeway but I'm only on that maybe 4 miles? I think I should see at least 27-28 not 20-21.
    I think your expectations were too high. Depending on the year and engine of your Tribute, the EPA ratings of the Focus are probably around 50% higher than the Tribute, not double. So why would you expect double the fuel economy on the same route and driving habits? In fact, you're getting exactly 50% better mileage with the Focus, as the difference in EPA ratings would suggest.

I was getting about 20mpg on my commute with my '08 Mazda Tribute V6 AWD, and getting 33mpg with the Focus now, a 65% increase. Applying that 65% increase to your Tribute's 14mpg, you should be seeing 23mpg with the Focus (14 * 1.65 = 23). But if your Tribute did not have V6 and/or AWD, you would be seeing less of a % increase, in other words closer to the 50% discussed above.
    So here's the the thing. My Mazda was a v-6 all wheel drive. It was slated to get 18/23 MPG. Probably more than anything the reason my mileage was so low was because it had over 100K and not maintained very well, just oil changes every 3500K.

But to compare my Mazda with the focus is an unfair comparison. Two completely different beasts.

The posted EPA ratings for my Focus are 27 city 38 highway with a 31 mixed.

If I look on sites like Edmunds and feuleconomy.gov people are getting around those numbers.

My car is currently in the shop and I'm renting a 2012 Yaris and driving it the same way I do my focus along the same route and I'm getting 26MPG. So something else is going on with my car.

And no I don't think I'm expecting too much. I based my purchase like I think a lot of others do based on those MPG numbers.

If you have to drive with the AC off or the Windows open or you have to get out an push to get those numbers then they are not realistic.
    The numbers shouldn't be from a test track or a Dyna machine, they should be real world.

To me and I've asked others, city driving means a lot of stop and go and short drive lengths between lights.

Highway is free flowing traffic allowing for the engine to work optimally at the 65MPH.

Mixed is a combination of stop and go and full flowing.

Anyways, there was a recall out to have the Power Train Module(PTM) and another module which I'm forgetting the name of to be re-programmed so I'm hoping that helps.

Also of note, i read on a forum that this recall notice was applied to a persons focus who was getting 29MPG and after the notice was applied they were now getting 20MPG. Hmmmm...