Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    I read with interest what you said below and I always thought if the dealer you bought from did not help another dealer would even be less help. Do people actually go to other dealers if the bought from does not help? I would like to think you could but just never thought thought it was possible.

"Well I sympathize with you on that. It usually is tough to work fighting with a dealer into a busy schedule. Sounds like you got a bad dealer though. Might've been worth it to try another."

Thanks
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Sure you can. I get my cars serviced at the nearest Ford dealer even though I've never bought a car from them. They still get paid by Ford for warranty work so they're happy to work on your car regardless of where you bought it from.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Same here. I always try to buy my cars locally, but the local dealers apparently have their inventory plated with gold before the paint goes on. So, I usually end up buying in Seattle and flying down to bring it home, but warranty work is still done at the local dealer.
    "The problem with the transmission is that it operates like a manual, but it cannot anticipate conditions like a driver can - it only reacts. "

Spoken like a true lifelong manual driver. You just described every slushbox in 95% of cars sold, like, ever.

Now I understand the dual clutch transmission is not at its best in some circumstances, particularly bumper to bumper traffic. But hilly terrain? You guys do realize most Focuses (except for the basic stripped down models) come with Select Shift, or manual shifting mode? So that you, the driver can anticipate upcoming hills and downshift as appropriate? Seems like that would've solved the problem of the hilly terrain.
    I don't know about the select shift. I'm not sure the Fiesta I used had it and, if it did, I didn't notice it during that short time.

The dual clutch is a bit different than many other automatics, including CVTs, in that it has an "engage" vs. "disengage" aspect. That's the primary problem with transitioning from a stop or going at extremely slow speeds. When starting, it has a delay in engagement from the moment of input, and at very slow speeds, it quickly does an engage/disengage cycling that can be noticeably felt. It isn't harsh, per se, but I sure found it annoying. I guess the best way to describe both issues is that the car doesn't feather the clutch.

Like I said, it worked well for me overall, and it didn't have any problems traversing hilly terrain. The hilly terrain in a city environment just made the start/stop traits more pronounced. My opinion is that the DCT automatic is the worst transmission choice for John's driving conditions.
    Correct, there is no torque converter in this transmission like there would be in a conventional automatic so there's no fluid damping of the connection / disconnection of the engine / transmission. It's just like any other manual transmission, the clutch is engaged, disengaged, or slipping a little which I understand the DCT is designed to minimize because it's hard on the clutch.

The main benefit is fuel economy and feeling more connected to the engine. Look at the new Dart with its similar 160hp 2L engine BUT conventional 6-speed automatic - it's only rated at 24/27/34 mpg versus the Focus's 28/31/38.

Ford's Select Shift is standard on most Focus trim levels / option packages. I imagine it would be perfect for hilly terrain where you'd want to downshift before you get to the uphill grade.
    I agree that it has a noticeable impact on fuel economy. Just the fact that the automatic is rated higher than the manual in EPA testing is evidence enough of that. Often, too, do CVT automatics that don't experience the loss of efficiency through a torque converter. Real world reports don't necessarily mirror EPA results in that regard, but at least if you're paying more for the transmission, you aren't taking a FE hit to go along with it.

Paddle shifters are nice for allowing additional driver input into the selected ratio.
    Yep, the CVT is how the new Altima gets the same EPA ratings as the Focus despite being larger, heavier and more powerful. And looks like Honda's going the CVT route. Too bad they're so unpleasant to drive!
    I have little experience with them. I did do a test-drive on a Legacy 2.5i Limited last year just to try out the transmission, and I found it very nice for an automatic. Twenty minutes can only tell you so much, though. It was smooth as butter, but definitely felt much different than any other auto transmission. As far as familiarity of feel, I didn't find the DCT all that different from a torque converter, but it sure sounded different when it shifted gears.

I like the frequent inclusion of "manumatic" modes on today's automatic transmission choices, especially when it is my car (in other words, I use it day in and day out rather than just a test drive or rental), but it isn't a substitute for a manual transmission.

When the FE numbers are significantly higher on the automatic, though, such as on the new Subaru offerings, it sure makes me pause and justify how much I prefer the MT as compared to the potential hit I'll take at the pump over the long term.

Some of the differences, like with the Focus, are negligible if any. Others, like with Subaru, are likely to be reflected in real world experience. With the right gearing, though, that would never be an issue. :cry:
  • danjerqdanjerq Posts: 1
    My 2012 Focus is currently getting 31.2 mpg..or Averaging 7.2 liters per 100km..not the 54 mpg they claim on the window sticker..The salesman dont bother complaining until youve had it for at least a year they wont look at it for that reason
    "My 2012 Focus is currently getting 31.2 mpg..or Averaging 7.2 liters per 100km..not the 54 mpg they claim on the window sticker.."

Well come on now, do you always believe the marketing hype?

You must be in Canada. The Ford website for Canada does say "up to 54 mpg" or something like that. Which is ridiculous. You can average that high if you stay at a constant 50mph speed with no accelerations, etc. But in the U.S. no one advertises such an unrealistic number.

But at any rate, if you had done any additional research you would've seen that your average is right in line with the U.S. EPA combined rating, as well as the hundreds of Focus owners on www.fuelly.com. So feel comforted that you are in the norm.
  • The size of the tank is irrelevent. The fact that it's been mentioned a few times and that you thought you needed to drive the car until you ran out of gas makes me wonder if you're calculating correctly. How much gas you use and the miles driven is all one needs to know.

1) Fill it up 100%.
    2) Reset your trip odometer.
    3) Drive until you get down to 1/4 tank ot 1/8th of a tank...or wait until the dummy/warning light comes on...have 1/4 tank (or less) left so you have used over 10 gallons of gas to "wash out" error due to not filling it the same exact amount each time. For example, if you fill it more the next time by 1 gallon, say 11 gallons, that means you only really burned 10gal (because you started 1 gal lower), but you think you burned 11, so you'd be off by 10%. 10% is not a huge error though (compared to the terrible mileage you saw), and it's not likely you'll refill it 1 gallon differently.

4) Put gas in it - fill it back to 100% so you're back to where it started.
    5) Done. Now calculate the MPG.
  • Hi,

I just bought a new Ford Focus Ambiente 1.6L six speed automatic, model year 2012. I have done 3500 kms and am faced with an unusual noise. It could be either the engine or the drivetrain, but it is a shrill and just audible. It is the kind of sound one can expect to hear when driving if the radiator cap came loose (thats not the case though), like a metallic vibration. It dies off when accelarating and is absent when idle, but is there when deccelarating or cruising.

I took it to the dealer, but they couldnt identify the problem. Can someone make any helpful suggestions on what could be the problem?
  • I've averaged 35 mpg, measured by dividing miles driven by gallons pumped. The electronic mpg readout overestimates by 2 to 4 mpg. My driving is about 60% hwy, 40% city. The range is between the high 20s for around-the-neighborhood driving and 39 for all-highway.
  • Just crossed into the 38mpg's(38.3 to be exact) on my lying onboard readout w/90% hwy driving on this commuter. A MT as well. I'm happy.
  • mo614mo614 Posts: 4
    Thanks for your effort. Your comments and explanations to revss have been logical and accurate. I'm sure most readers have been able to understand and agree with your reasoning. Maybe if revss re-reads the posts and thinks about them some more, he'll get it too. My two cars, now with 80,000 and 90,000 mile odometer readings, go the same miles per gallon as they did during their first 5,000 miles. I bought them new about eight years ago. Neither has had any engine or transmission repairs, but have had regular oil changes and routine maintenance. With our driving styles and routes, each vehicle matches the EPA numbers, city and highway. I use a calculator each time I re-fuel. MPG = trip odometer miles divided by gallons burned between fill-ups. I don't guess by watching fuel gauge needle positions or on-board electronic MPG (estimate) displays.
  • revssrevss Posts: 20
    I use a calculator as well and I get 21 MPG in city and 28 highway. However I disagree with both yourself and Kam. Why do you think Hyundai got sued?? It's just a matter of time for Ford.
  • mo614mo614 Posts: 4
    Depending on your driving style and route, the percentages of EPA numbers you are achieving may be the same as you'd realize if you were driving other makes and models. The EPA numbers do not exist to tell you what fuel economy you will get, but only how one vehicle will compare to another given the same (tested) driving conditions. In your situation, my guess is you'd not get the EPA average in any car.
    "Why do you think Hyundai got sued?? It's just a matter of time for Ford."

If Ford has maliciously cooked the books like Hyundai did, then yes they should be punished. But there's no evidence of that, and many Focus owners are routinely achieving the EPA ratings in their everyday driving, like me.

Hyundia was punished because they upset the apples to apples comparison that the EPA ratings afford. And that's all they afford. They DO NOT guarantee you performance. Many folks are lucky enough because of their driving habits and routes to actually achieve the EPA ratings, but many do not.

Hyundia tried to give themselves an unfair competitive advantage by making it seem like their apple (in the EPA apples-to-apples comparison scheme) was shinier and more red. Big mistake.
  • revssrevss Posts: 20
    " and many Focus owners are routinely achieving the EPA ratings in their everyday driving, like me."

Well if you read through this thread and others, there people getting mileage just like me.

Again, time will tell.