Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2011 MY and earlier

Comments

• thfrazerthfrazer Posts: 20
    My plan is to try everyone's ideas/advice and see what kind of MPG I get once I've put several thousand miles on the car. In the meantime I plan to file a complaint with Hyundai even though I don't expect much from them unless there is some sort of class action lawsuit which I don't think will happen. I also plan to post about it on all the auto buying/selling web sites. Maybe a few letters to the editors of auto magazines and such as well.

I know the EPA is at fault here as well, but as I've said I just don't like Hyundai advertising the crap out of their 40mpg cars. Blaming it on the EPA is no excuse for letting the customer feel betrayed as I do. I do not expect to get 40mpg unless I'm on some outrageous road trip where the speed is constant and you never slow down, pass, or stop to eat. However, I do expect to get 29 on a trip that has 50% highway and 50% city driving.

This is my car now and I'm not going to sell it, take a loss, and then buy a Civic. My only option is to grin and bear it and let others know about it. For the price the car is nice. There are negative things about it I wish I had noticed before I bought it, but that's not unusual. The reality is that I chose this car because it supposedly got better gas mileage than the Civic and because it had better looks and a better warranty. As Meatloaf sang "Two out of three ain't bad".

Tom
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,805
    A couple of things here. First don't file a complaint with Hyundai as they can't do anything and will just aggrivate you. Hyundai by law has to advertise EPA estiments. So they are not doing anything wrong, nor will a lawsuit do anything.

Secondly I find it hard to believe that people are getting the mileage that they are reporting here. We have the Sonata and during a recent trip we got very close to highway EPA figures (33.5 MPG vs 35 MPG) with mostly highway driving, maybe 30% stop and go and a couple of times stopped it gridlocked traffic. According to the onboard computer I can get close to 40 MPG on the highway @ 70 MPH (every time I check the computer against actual its only a few percentage points high).

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• mcksmommcksmom Posts: 2
    I just turned 6,000 miles on my 25 mile drive to work this morning and I still am averaging 30 mpg on my /01 Elantra (90% HW miles). Before I bought this car I studied up on all cars so I could get the best mileage at the best price. It came down to the Prius or the Elantra. Since the Elantra was $2,500 less, I went with it. I love he car and get tons of compliments, but the milage is a HUGE disapointment. I keep thinking about contacting a major news network to make others about the mistake, i.e., fraud(?).
  • hhr06hhr06 Posts: 47
    my wife and i were driving and we never went above 72 mph a lot of times between 65 to 72.. one time i was doing 45 to 50 mph on intersate and saw 40 mpg for a short peroid of time. and also a LOT of CARS passing me like i was standing still. this is a true statement
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Posts: 76
    You are going to file a complaint with Hyundai because you aren't getting EXACTLY 29 city and 40 highway? Okay...good luck with that.....LOL!!
    Why are you driving 45 MPH on the interstate? I'd be passing you like you were standing still as well....
    I agree with you...the MPG has A LOT to do with the way someone drives their car, and it also depends on how much time is spent just idling in traffic. I don't think a lot of these people are being completely truthful.

I haven't driven on the highway all that much with my 2011 Elantra, but I average anywhere from 38-41 MPG. City driving is much different of course, I live in northern Virginia near DC so there is a lot of stop and go. I get anywhere from 25-29 city. No big deal. It's a fantastic car and I absolutely love it. :)
    LOL...It isn't about luck and I certainly don't expect anything in return from Hyundai. Just letting them know. Using your logic I shouldn't answer their customer and engineering e-mail surveys either. Nor should I post on here for others to read. What good would that do, right?

Sorry, but your sarcasm is misplaced.

Tom
  • heredavidheredavid Posts: 1
    I just traded in my PRIUS...1st I was going with the Elantra 2012, 1st tank from dealer ran at 28.1, 2nd full tank ran at 29.5 and just did 3rd tank at 32.5. Hills going and coming three to five trips daily. 1/3 35-45 city. 1/3 45-55 semi-HWY and 1/3 55-65 HYW. I was braking it in for my daughter as I just got the HYBRID after seeing how the Elantra got a few miles less than the PRIUS and would take 40yrs for the price difference (@$4 gal here). Plus move features and all around better than Toyota to deal with (for my experience) . Only have 45 miles on HYBRID so can not tell how close that will come, however, a large size plus Front/Read heated seats and a lot more! Both are fully loaded with all the trimmings and save a ton of monies over the PRIUS with a lot more car...IMHO
    I'm (like others) just saying to give it time....you only have 1,000 miles on your car. I just think it's pretty silly to complain about an issue that is so minor, you haven't even broken in the car yet. I had the same complaint as you did when I first bought mine. Have a little patience. But I guess some people just like to whine about something.

Last October I bought a 2010 Elantra. The transmission died two months later. I took my complaint to Hyundai consumer affairs, and was awarded two free car payments. Now THAT was a solid complaint...whining about not getting exactly 29 MPG is just really, REALLY petty.
    The thing is is that Hyundai can't do one thing about what mileage figures they use. They have to use the EPA figures. If people are not getting those figures there is nothing Hyundai can do.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Posts: 56
    After working in a dealership service department for around 42 yrs., fisrt as a tech, then as a shop foreman/lead tech, all I can say is that no matter how hard you try try, some will find fault. I think it's called buyers remorse, because they think they got took, an they have to blame someone. Some won't get rid of the car, no matter how unhappy they are with it, they just want to complain an try to destroy a a certain vehicle. Trust me, some get down right nasty too, no sense to it, thats just the way they are. The best thing I would tell them is to R.T.F.M., then maybe they would understand more about why their not getting what they perceived they were getting. They even can read the windown sticker an read the fine print on the mileage, but I guess that thet think it does not apply to them. I have seen the Service Manager an the owner tell more then 1 person that maybe they should try a different dealer or even brand, because there's no pleasing them.
    You do have a point, there is a small segment of the population that are not happy unless they are not happy. That being said I think the anger here is misdirected. Legally Hyundai and the dealerships can only report what the EPA says it is, beyond that all they can say is your mileage may vary.

Well, well, well. Now you guys are taking it personally. Have I or anyone else done anything to you? Buying a car is a major expense. Unlike most things you buy this is one you can't return no matter what unless it's a "lemon" and that is very hard to prove. It's called the non-rescission law and applies here in Florida. Heck you can even "return" your wife or husband through annulment, but not cars, boats and homes. So, yes, I do have a certain expectation that goes along with the purchase. I have expectations of the manufacturer, the dealer, and the car in this case.

If you don't like my review/discussion of the Hyundai Elantra ignore it. If you don't like my approach ignore it. No one is making you read these posts and unless you are actually adding something to the discussion your input is just fluff. You might try telling me how to get more mileage instead of blaming it on me. As I've said I like the car. I'm just not happy with the MPG. Hyundai and the dealer don't need your help. They've sold the car and that's that.

Carry on wayward son.

Tom
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    edited July 2011
    You asked for tips on getting better fuel economy. Here's some I've found work well, and are not hard to do:

1) Pretend there's a raw egg between your right foot and the accelerator. That sounds silly, but it really works. The idea is to 1) touch the accelerator as little as possible (or you might break the egg), and 2) when touching it, use light pressure to keep RPMs down (and avoid breaking the egg). When you're not touching the accelerator, you're not using much gas at all. You can see this for yourself in the mpg meter on your car.
    2) Use the mpg meter on your car to help you learn how to drive for maximum fuel economy. Does it have an instantaneous readout? If so, turn it on and keep an eye on it as you drive around. The idea is to keep the mpg as high as possible. If it doesn't have an instantaneous readout, reset the average mpg readout and use that; the idea is to get the average as high as possible.
    3) Keep to speed limits. It's well known that speeds over about 60 mph kill fuel economy. So if the speed limit is 55, drive 55. If it's 70, don't go 80. What's the hurry? Drive in the right lane, set the cruise, and relax. Let everyone else get lower fuel economy.
    4) If you have trouble moderating the gas pedal for best fuel economy, let the car do that--use cruise whenever practical.
    5) Anticipate stops. No sense driving full speed up to an intersection if the light will change when you get there. If you didn't see the light turn green, assume it will probably turn red before you get there and prepare to slow down the moment you see the yellow light. Also, in areas where lights are timed for a certain speed, take full advantage of that and drive within that pattern to avoid stopping. Coast up to red-light intersections as much as possible, if you can do it without impeding the traffic behind you (maybe they want to turn at the intersection).
    6) Keep tires properly inflated. Make sure they are always at least set to factory specs, and if you want to maximize FE then set them a few pounds over spec.
    7) Avoid idling. When you are stopped, FE is zero. If you'll be stopped for more than a minute or two, shut the engine off if it's practical. There's a reason hybrids and even some ICE cars are designed to shut off the engine when stopped.

Using tips like these, I always get over the EPA ratings on any car I drive--my cars, rental cars etc.--unless it's very extreme conditions, e.g. short in-town trips in very cold weather (I live in MN). But I always exceed EPA ratings on the highway. For example, this week I rented a 2011 (might have been a 2012) Sonata in Austin, TX. 99 degrees when I landed, so A/C on of course. Driving on the highway from the airport to my hotel I got 40 mpg per the mpg meter. Even considering some stops and slow driving, I got 34 mpg for the full trip--just 1 mpg under the car's highway EPA rating. And this was a new car, 500 miles, so not broken in yet. And a much bigger and more powerful engine than your Elantra's. If I can do it, you can do it.
    If you go an look up ethanol , it'll verify that you will lose mileage by as much as 25%. This is as per the EPA. I totally agree with what backy says to, an trust me, I don't take things to heart, especially when I know what I'm talking about. I know more then just getting in a car and driving son.
    I can't find pure gas in my area. A few years ago I got to fill up with pure gas on the return leg of a 450-mile trip, and I got about 10% better FE on that than the 10% ethanol blend I had in the tank for the initial trip.

So it's possible to meet or beat the EPA estimates even with 10% ethanol. But it's a little harder.
    WTG backy, I beleive what the EPA was using was E85, which is what most stations carry if they have it. When I lived i Seattle, we called it winter gas, and it did lower mileage., but like you said , it is possible under the right conditions.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251
    I presume you mean E10 - 10% ethanol / 90% gas. E85 is not recommended for many vehicles (like, pretty much every non-US brand) as the high ethanol content can corrode gas lines.
    OOPS !!! Never said I was perfect lol
  • I have silver Elantra 2012 preferred package from Ulsan.
    I didn't drive it much, OD is at about 300.
    I drive very conservatively, but not too much that I slow the traffic down. I've seen about ~45 on highway and little bit lower on city.
    My brother who swears he drives VERY conservatively only gets 37 mpg out of the same car.
  • svensmorsvensmor Posts: 7
    hi right lane cruiser
    Hi! Yeah, I'm pretty happy in the right lane most of the time. Somehow $4 a gallon gas lessens that feeling of the need to speed.
  • svensmorsvensmor Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    right lane is a good thing u seem to have a hypermiling frame of mind as do i check out cleanmpg.com u can view my mileage logs on my 2012 elantra mt and see what a max mpg type of driver can really do with this cAR I laugh and laugh when i see these drivers complain about there gas mileage when i average over 40 mpgs every tank with no hwy driving.I use the same user name here as there
    I don't consider myself a hypermiler. They use a lot more tricks to get high mpg than I do. I am in a gas-saving bent of mind though.
  • rudy66rudy66 Posts: 26
    Tom
    I'm with you. I went from an Accord (my last 6 cars were Accords) to the Elantra and find that it steers easier and brakes nicer than the Accord, has less road noise, the interior is fine for the three of us, and the new styling is nice. Sites such as Edmunds and Consumer Reports like the Elantra. So I like the car but have been sadly disappointed by the mpg. But it is fun to drive and I'm pleased with my choice. Can't cry over spilled milk especially when the whole carton didn't spill.
    Hope all is well with you,
    Rudy
  • After braking in my engine a bit, I get decent gas mileage. My lowest average ever was 25mpg and that's driving the engine hard. If I drive the engine moderate, then I get about 28-33mpg. The best I've ever gotten was 39.9mpg on a road trip, (but that's going 55mph. I'm a cruiser.) I've also added a voltage stabilizer, K&N air filter, and a throttle body spacer that may have helped it. Contact me if you're interested in parts. alex.guarderas@gmail.com
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks,thought i would give a mpg update for my 2012 elantra gls auto which i purchased a little over a week ago.iam still on the dealers free tank of gas.right now with about 90% city driveing and the a/c running full blast i have half a tank of gas left and i got 180 miles on that half tank.trip computer in car says iam getting 26mpg...not bad for the 1st tank so far..iam takeing a road trip tomorow up to orlando from where i live in hallandale fla..(200 miles 1 way)..and i will report on the highway mpg when i return.
  • Wow !!!! I cant agree with you more..I have a 2008 Hyundai Elantra....25/33 MPG as advertised and I also bought it because of the alleged mileage......

I have struggled to just get to 31 mpg highway..now look i do drive fast but i also feel like i cant idle in traffic and can't drive locally where i get stuck at multiple red lights...because then i only get 27 or 28 mpg's....very disappointed in the MPG also...

Of course also my radio broke to the poitn where it works..but the digital display on it that tells you what station is on just says "Loading" constantly...so i have to figure out which station I am on based on memorization..( which i am good at thank God).

I brought it to the dealer and wouldnt u know..the warranty for the radio was only 36,000 miles of which i was over already, yet they put on the invoice that the radio is defective..i complained to the headquarters, since they call me every day after i go to the dealer for service and i told them that that was BS...

dont listen to their diatribe about the 10 yr, 100,000 warranty....it is all BS...they look for a reason to say it isnt covered under warranty..and there are little things that are not 10 yr, 100,000....some things are 3 yrs, 36,000 ( liek my radio) , others are 5 yrs, 50,000 miles, etc....

next car will probably be a honda or toyota....done with hyundai....i was very disappointed...
    ...now look i do drive fast but i also feel like i cant idle in traffic and can't drive locally where i get stuck at multiple red lights...because then i only get 27 or 28 mpg's...

So you drive fast, idle in traffic and stop at multiple red lights... and expect to get 33 mpg?? :surprise: The EPA highway rating is just that... what you should be able to get DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY, at around the speed limit (EPA tests aren't done at high speeds). If you are idling, the mpg then is ZERO. When you are stopped at a red light, the mpg is ZERO. And the mpg suffers when accelerating... as when you are starting up from a red light. Under those conditions, upper 20s isn't bad for a car with an EPA rating like yours.

If you want to see what your car can do on the highway, try this: find a stretch of relatively flat highway a few miles long, one that you can drive on without slowing or stopping. Get on the highway, get up to the speed limit, reset the mpg meter, turn on the cruise control, and drive that several miles at a constant speed. Then turn around and drive in the other direction (evens out effects of hills and headwinds). And see what your fuel economy is. I'll bet it will meet or even beat the EPA highway rating.