Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Real World MPG

Comments

• gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    Our AWD SE touring+ultimate gets 1 mph less than what the trip meter says. We average around 15-17 consistently with local driving. I CANNOT figure why we get such lousy mileage, we are at low elevation (southern california 300ft) and we have yet to have a tank average over 20 mpg. Maybe it is some sort of software issue, I dunno.

There is something definitely wrong with our vehicle, but as I posted earlier, I can't wait till the new MPG standards are put in place in a couple of years. I just can't wait to see what we get in the towing department.
  • davesuvdavesuv Member Posts: 149
    Hi gwilly,

What is the average number of miles you drive during a typical local driving excursion?

I've found that it takes about 5 miles or so for the engine and exhaust system to warm up (further if it's cold out). During that initial warm-up period, I typically get 15 to 16 mpg. After the vehicle is warmed up, my mileage increases to 18 mpg. This is with typical stop and go city driving where you come to a light every mile or so. The biggest thing I do to increase my mileage is to bunch errands together so I can do most of my driving in one excursion, thereby taking advantage of a warm (more fuel efficient, less polluting) engine.

2007 SF AWD Limited with touring and premium packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather
  • chrisl4chrisl4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have stats for this model: 2004 SF 3.5L LX 2WD?

I took one on an extended test drive today. It has 52100 miles and after 50.3 miles of mixed travel (50/50) I calculated 18.2 MPG. According to the dealer, the prior owner was meticulous on tracking mileage and got 23-25 on hwy and 16-18 in city. This is at or better than EPA estimates (remember it is ESTIMATES, not fact). Per the dealer, she refuses to call me or have me call her so I can't personally verify her stated numbers.

After filling up, I drove back to the dealer for a short 14 miles, 12 hwy. Still, I topped it off across the street with a meager .499 gals for 28 MPG. Same brand station but different location hence different pump. The car was still warm from my earlier drive.

It sounds like the 3.5L is the way to go in these cars. I would prefer the higher clearance of the 2005 but did like the ride in this 2004. And can't find many with the 3.5L engine on the used lot. They are all 2.7L and for good reason. I like this older style over the 2007 so am happier to find an older model. Good chance I will get this one Monday.
  • kg325kg325 Member Posts: 57
    Yes---I should have gotten the 3.5
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I just filled up for 2nd time. Have 500 miles so far Got 16.0 miles 1st tank, 14.5 miles 2nd tank. I do 90% local driving. Most trips shorter than 15 miles, very limited highway. Have AWD Limited
    Impressive isn't it? It would be nice if it did better, but maybe the AWD is the culprit, our city/local mileage is the same as what you are getting. We average about 16 MPG city/local with our Santa FE SE AWD+touring.

On a unrelated note, did any of you get your free coupon in the mail for an oil/filter change directly from Hyundai corporate? We bought our Santa FE in the end of DEC and just got the coupon last week. Anyone get their local dealer to get the auto-lock feature turned on for free?
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    I haven't gotten anything from Hyundai corporate on oil changes; my dealer, Bob Hall Hyundai in Yakima, Wa., has a card system that gives you every 4th oil change free. They also turned the auto-lock on during my second oil change with no charge.

I've got slightly over 6000 miles on my SF AWD and am averaging a bit more than 22 MPG.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Just picked up my Santa Fe last week so too early to see if they send the coupon. I did all of the negotations by email and phone and requested the auto lock feature be set before I came in to finalize everything. Great service by my dealer.
    I never got or heard of any coupon---good for you
  • grandillusiongrandillusion Member Posts: 13
    I just drove my 07 Santa Fe Limited to southern Texas and across the border into Mexico from Chicago. I started the trip with about 900 miles on the odometer and averaged 22-23 mpg on the way down. Coming back however, it held at 26 mpg the entire way. I was concerned with the accuracy of the onboard mileage computer but checked it the old fashion way and it was accurate.
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    We picked up our license plates at the dealer today and had them turn on the auto-lock feature. There was no charge.
  • neeedvanneeedvan Member Posts: 17
    What is auto-lock feature? Sorry but just bought my SantaFe and new to this feature.
    auto-lock=doors lock when you go above a certain speed. I believe the options are 10, 15 or 25 MPH. Your dealer can activate the feature and most do it free during your first oil change--if you ask them.
    I'm not sure what it is either---mine soesn't have it. I'll hav eto look at the manual.
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    kg325, you can't activate the feature yourself. The dealer has to do it by adjusting the vehicle's computer. It only takes them about 15 minutes to do it. Once they activate this for you, your doors will automatically lock when your vehicle reaches a certain speed, like 20 mph.
    Thanks---I didn't know that.
    I have to call the dealer again today too. I must still have something loose or worn already under the rear of this piece of crap. It's not the spare tire. They adjusted or looked at that the last time. Since then,(2 weeks ago) I have rotated my tires and and they must have increased the tire presure to expand the tire in it's carrier. There was almost 50 psi in it.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    The compact spare tires typically have 50-60 psi in them. They (most)are designed to be used at that pressure. Then again, check the owners manual or the side of the tire to be sure. I could be wrong.
    Mine is a full size spare I use in the rotation.
  • colonel717colonel717 Member Posts: 20
    I am now up to 800 miles and made my 3rd fill up. My mileage went up from 14.5 to 16.5 on this fill up. I did a little more highway driving, but hopefully my mpg keeps getting better.
    Well we finally got to test out the whole hitch, electrical and general towing experience with our SE AWD+touring this past Easter weekend. Went from just north of L.A. to Joshua Tree in the High Desert, about a full tank of gas each way. Interestingly we got better mileage than we get with no trailer and only one occupant. We got 17.5 to Joshua Tree(trip said 17.7)and 16.5 on the way back (trip said 17.3) with a wicked head wind. This result was far more positive in that I fully expected around 11-13MPG. :)

Overall the Santa Fe had plenty of power(I mainly used manual shift and 4th gear). The fully laden weight of our Fleetwood tent trailer is about 1800-2000 lbs plus the other items stored in the Santa Fe. The Santa Fe has a very pronounced rear sag from all of this weight, even with the touring package. I now have to investigate some sort of air shocks or some type of air bags that could be put in the rear coils? Any suggestions would be helpful :)
    Thats not good but not bad----it should get better.
    I had to regap my plugs and get a new air filter
    I would say it's not bad depending on the weight of the trailer and not so good without....you should get at least 18 isn't it??
    You would think that is a correct assumption, however with my wife's normal commute of 25 mile each way, we average about 15-17 MPG. We just had our first oil change at 5500 miles, I dunno why we get such poor mileage. The Hyundai Customer service person said the posted EPA numbers are done by the government with no control by Hyundai. He also mentioned the "poor quality of fuel in Southern California" which could account for the bad MPG.

Maybe I should go camping more to make me feel better. :)
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2007 2.7 gls auto. I started out with a 15.2 for the first 3 fill ups. Then it got better I now get 20.1 in the city and 22.0 hwy. So it did get better like the dealer claimed. Lets hope it gets up to the claimed milage soon that would be nice.
    My 2.7 is still undet 18 after I changed the air filter and regapped 3 of the plugs
    Any car maker can put what they want to on the window. (18 to 23 in my case) They will use what sells best. That is why the mileage stickers are going to change.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    You wrote : (Any car maker can put what they want to on the window)

Actually they can't. Those are numbers generated by the EPA (federal government) and are based on actually testing of the vehicle in both city/hwy conditions (simulated). The flaw is the testing does not emulate the real world. Highway is 55mph, no ac, no wind, etc. Thus you rarely get as good as the EPA numbers indicate. The EPA is changing their methodology, thus the numbers in the future should be a bit more realistic (and a lot lower).
  • bkirk1bkirk1 Member Posts: 21
    Do you have a 2007 SantaFe. I plan on putting a K&N air filter, Mobil1 synthetic oil and change the air in the tires to nitrogen. has anyone tried this?
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    I have a 2007 SE Sante Fe.
    I really doubt you will see a noticeable difference in MPG....IMHO the mobile One is the best choice of what you listed (would probably cost you more than what fuel you would save) BTW: Mobile one is not what is used to be...it is a tier 3 not IV as it used to be, with a little IV mixed it. Your driving habits are really the best choice. Still good oil though for better wear and tear on the engine. Oils have come a long way BUT THERE IS STILL THE FILTER TO CONSIDER (Forget about the extended oil changes with synthetics IMHO)! I think we are dealing with the weight and drag of the auto itself and dynamics of the engine.

Besides the way Hyundai is, they might take a shot at your warranty with the K&N which really does let a bit more dirt into the air intake than the stock one. WARRANTY would cost you a lot more than any savings in MPG if they take that road and something happens to the engine...this is a crossover...not an economy car or race car as you know.

Put a K&N on my mini cooper S and there was no difference at all that I could tell....sounded better though! Also if you over oil the K&N...you will cause potential damage
    I changed my air filter even thougfh it only had 7000 miles on it and regapped the plugs---I picked a a couple mpg. The dealer wouldn't even suggest doing this.
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    I have used Air Lift on a couple different vehicles. Did not do the air compressor. Just the manual air stem. Worked very well. Do not know if one is made for the Santa Fe, but may be able to use another model. Give the Tech the inner spring dimension and height.
    If I buy a Santa Fe, I plan on doing this. Inner air bag will work on the rear Santa Fe springs. Most new crossovers, will not because the shock or something else is in between the springs.
    I appreciate the info on the Air Lift brand. However, after looking at the coils, it has some sort of bottoming out device on the top of the inside of the coil, I wonder if this would need to be removed?

Thanks
  • proudnewdadproudnewdad Member Posts: 12
    I have had my Santa Fe for 2 days. Cleared the AVE. MPG at the dealer and so far AVE 20.2MPG. Mix of about 30% City and 70 % highway. Still breaking it in though, and have not reved it above 4000 as is stated in the manual.
    Best of luck to you
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Yes, the rubber stop would have to be removed. One of the two vehicles I had did have it and was fairly simple to unbolt. Just getting it out from between the coils was the major problem. Needed a spring compression tool.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    We bought our SF on March 27th. It has 850 miles on it. I filled up today and it was the first time since we bought it that I reset the average mpg. Over 837 miles with about 60% highway and 40% city, we got 20.8 mpg. On the way home, which is about three miles city and ten miles highway, I got 27.4 mpg. I know that will go down as I drive it around town. But, I still think this is great. After filling the tank, I started out at 35 mph, increasing to 62 mph; even though the speed limit is 65. I used to go 70 before gas prices went up.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    2007 Limited 3.3 AWD with 4500 miles: 22 MPG average for all driving so far (city + hwy.). This is identical to what we get with our 2000 Dodge Caravan (2WD, 3.0L 150 hp. not a Grand Caravan)so we are very pleased.

Seems to have been fairly consistent from day (mile) one, so probably no chance for increase with break-in.
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    We've owned our 07 SE FWD a month, put 1200 miles of city/commuting driving on the vehicle, averaging 20-22 mpg so far. But I've noticed a problem when fueling. Sometimes the pump shuts off before the tank is full, like just over a half tank. I usually set the nozzle to the strongest/fastest setting. I try to squeeze more out of the nozzle, but no luck. I've searched earlier Santa Fe posts to see if others have had a similar problem, found a few, but no real solution. Should I let it pump more slowly?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Should I let it pump more slowly?

I would let it pump more slowly near the end of the fill and be sure to have the nozzle centered so that it doesn't touch the neck of the tank. But don't overfill! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • westvirginiawestvirginia Member Posts: 15
    Just to update my MPG after 2200 miles. It hasn't changed at all.

Around Town: 18 mpg
    Highway Trips: 24 - 25 mpg

The highway mileage has been a pleasant surprise.
    I have 8300 miles on my SF Limited. Highest mpg I've recorded has been 25.+, lowest 18.+. I'm currently averaging 22.25 overall.
  • jimirljimirl Member Posts: 31
    THis is a very long thread and I have read about 80% of the postings here over time. Lots of great advice and questions.

One thing I am noticing is the difference between what everyone is getting as far as highway and city MPG. I do a lot of city driving in NJ. My MPG showed as low as 17.2. I did get a chance to go 200 miles on the highway and I thought it would be a great opportunity to see how highway mileage went. I drove very conservatively and only went 55mph max. I watched my computer update the MPG. It was very slow to change the numbers and I am wondering how much data is usuing to average things out. Mile after mile I would wait and every so often it would raise .1MPG I was able to max it out at 18.2MPG highway after 200 miles of 55mph driving. at the end of the trip I was at 1100 miles on the odo.

Do you think the longer you drive it, the more info it takes into account? I now have 1600 miles on it and it has never read higher than 18.2MPG. I am really wondering how people here are getting 22+MPG I have not had the first oil change done and I have not changed the air filter. I am also the only one driving hte car and rarely have more than myself in the seat with me.
    Are you resetting the trip mileage and the mpg reading when you fill with gas? If you hit the 'reset' button when it's displaying the trip miles, that's all you're resetting...you have to have the mpg reading displayed to reset it, otherwise, you're showing your overall mpg since you got the vehicle.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I do most of my driving on the turnpike. Work in WoodRidge outside of Carlstadt. I now have 7000miles on my Limited. Early on my mpg was around 16. Now I get 19 over all. When I take it to work I reset it once I reach 60mph. I get 23.2 by the time I get off at exit 16W(approx. 31 miles from home). Not bad. Trust me, It will get better as it breaks in.
  • jimirljimirl Member Posts: 31
    Wow, I never realized you could even reset the MPG! I guess that makes a huge difference, because it would be averageing all the MPG since I bough tthe vehicle. Great tip! I will try that out and see what happens.

• musky1gfmmusky1gfm Member Posts: 36
    I recently completed a 3600 mile round trip to Arizona for baseball spring training.My SF is a 1st generation awd Limited.
    Coming back east,I did get 29 mpg on a tankfull from New Mexico to Kansas.That was at 75 mph,with AC on,I'm mindfull that I was coming downhill out of the mountains with a tailwind.But still think that was outstanding.
    I am running syn.oil,which also helps.
    IMO,you won't get your best MPG until 10,000 miles or so.
    Also,I got better mileage at 75mph,than 65mph.By about 2mpg,go figure?
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Also,I got better mileage at 75mph,than 65mph.By about 2mpg,go figure?

My husband said the same thing at one point on our trip to Louisiana. The speed limit increased and we got close to 2 mpg better. We don't get it either!
    Good for you.....
    My 2006, 2.7, still can't get over 17 mpg doing "normal" driving. I have 7500 miles on it
  • klamathklamath Member Posts: 6
    I have only a little over 400 miles on my new SF SE first fill up. With 20% highway and 80% city driving I am getting 18.8 MPG. So far I am satisfied.
    Our AWD SE/touring/ultimate Santa Fe combined MPG has crept up slowly to about 18.5. We have 7500 miles on the ODO, initially we got horrible mileage and it has been slowly improving. I did mention that our tent-trailer towing mileage was impressive at 17.5 with strong headwinds and elevation climbs.

Yesterday, for an experiment which we can't normally do, we filled up and reset all the counters to zero, and immediately got on the freeway(Disneyland) and drove straight home (70 miles) using cruise control mostly and keeping the pedal at 61 to 68 mph. Amazingly we got 26.3 MPG :) and during the drive the counter said 26.6 pretty much the whole way home. I now wonder what the average will be after my wife goes back to normal commuting.