Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Real World MPG

Comments

• skierbri10skierbri10 Member Posts: 32
    Here in Colorado, 87 is actually 85. The 2.7 runs great on it and last time I filled up I had gotten 24mpg in mixed driving. I am not easy on the accelerator either.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Are you'll saying that you get better mpg if you put premium gas in the St.Fe? I am trying to buy a car that gets decent gas mileage but I sure don't want to have to put premium gas in it.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    IF, and that's a mighty big IF, you'd get better mileage by using premium gas, the additional MPG wouldn't amount to 1/4 gallon per tank full.

The SF is designed to run on regular gas---that's all you need.
  • ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 07 2.7 Santa Fe and was wondering what weight oil to use out in Arizona? Oh and I will be using Amsoil, which I have used in all my cars for thirty years, and I wouldn't use anything else.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    5w20 or 5w30 should be fine. by the way - how long do you keep the amsoil in? how many miles before you change?
  • ghd1959ghd1959 Member Posts: 24
    The oil I use is 25,000miles or 1 year.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Can someone tell me if the mpg in the AWD is less than the FWD?
    I plan on buying the 2008 AWD Santa fe in the near future. I know is a ON demand system. I guess this means that it engages when you loose traction right?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    The difference is minimal, if any; no more than 1 mpg.
  • mmontemurommontemuro Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2007 SantaFe AWD. I filled it 3 times, and each time the computer tank fuel range said 329 miles. According to Edmunds, the tank range should be between 396 mi./495 miles. I'm wondering what other owners are getting?
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Way to many variables here to trust the computer estimate..Including the driver of course, as well as weight load carried...etc, etc......terrain and altitude have a great influence TOO.

PERSONALLY I USE THE COMPUTER TO KEEP TRACK OF THE TEMP OUTSIDE ...ANOTHER MARKETING GIZMO, MOST BUYERS WOULD NOT GRIPE TOO LOUDLY IF IT WERE NOT THERE...KEEPING UP WITH THE OTHER GUY PART iii.

FOR REFERENCE. THE SWITCH IS IN THE WORST POSSIBLE Location for regular use anyway.

Would I buy it separately...NO!...took it since it comes with the SE and Limited....If traveling I occasionally peek at the miles left...just for reference to my Nuvi 350 GPS! DIVERSION TOYS....

I get pretty close to 19 city and 24 hwy with the 2007 SE AWD 3.3L That will also be changing as the engine ages and the winter gas start to flow. I consider myself an avg driver (depending on what I am in :]
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    "I just picked up a 2007 SantaFe AWD. I filled it 3 times, and each time the computer tank fuel range said 329 miles. According to Edmunds, the tank range should be between 396 mi./495 miles. I'm wondering what other owners are getting?"

The trip computer does not show you actual range to empty. It estimates your range until you reach a certain amount of gas left in the tank. I don't know what that amount it, but on other vehicles I have owned it is 3 gallons. That way, even when your "range" is down to zero, you actually have a reserve capacity that will get you something like 40-80 additional miles before you actually run out of gas and the engine quits.

Keep in mind that while the Santa Fe has a 19.8 gallon gas tank, your gauge will show empty and the "low fuel" light will be on when you still have several gallons left. That's true of all cars. Even when I run mine down to empty, the low fuel light is on, and the computer shows zero range remaining, I can only put about 16.5 gallons in the tank. That means I still have 3+ gallons remaining.

In addition, the trip computer calculates range based on your average mpg. Essentially, it looks at the amount of gas in the tank (fuel gauge), subtracts the reserve amount (whatever that is), and then divides by your rolling average mpg. If you've been doing a lot of city driving, towing, idling, etc., your average mpg will be down, which causes your computed range to drop, too.

Your Sante Fe is new, so you're probably not getting very good mileage, yet. It is common for mileage to improve somewhat as a vehicle breaks in. Gains of 1-2 mpg over new are fairly typical.

I have 7,500 miles on my 2007 Sante Fe Limited AWD Touring. About 5,000 of those have been city/suburban, and 2,500 are long highway trips. I'm currently getting about 18-18.5 mpg around town, and 22-23 mpg on highway trips (typically cruising at 75-80 with the AC on). I've seen as high as 25.4 mpg for a tank on one highway stretch where I kept the cruise at 65 and didn't run the AC. The EPA rating for my Santa Fe is 19/24, so I'm closing to those figures, but I'm still a little bit below them. I tend to drive a little fast, though.

Edmunds.com's range figures are misleading because they just multiply tank capacity by the EPA mileage ratings. It's a "theoretical" maximum range that no vehicle actually hits in practice. Since you never use the entire tank capacity, and often don't get the EPA mileage in the real world, your actual range will be less.

I typically go about 275-300 miles of driving around town between fill-ups. The longest I've gone between fill-ups is 340 miles. If I was cruising on the highway for a long distance, I might go as far as 400 miles if I really pushed it and drove to maximize gas mileage.
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    my elantra that has the same computer will change over time with each fill up my estimate untill empty. The computer will also recalcuate during the tank the range until empty. Edmunds is showing the tank range if you got the EPA milage for city or highway.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Can anyone let me know what kind of mileage they are getting on their auto 2.7 liter santa fe? I don't see much consistancy. I am looking at the 2007.
  • kg325kg325 Member Posts: 57
    I'm getting about 17.6 and i have a 2006 with 15000 miles. Sop far Hyundai isn't doing anyhthing I have to call Utah again
    egaworecki@yahoo.com
    I am getting 23-24 mpg in mixed driving with the A/C on and living in Colorado where I drive in the mountains a good portion of the time. Seems pretty good to me.
    being in the mountains- you get to coast downhill a lot?
    23-24 is very good 17 is unacceptable to me. Ugh why is
    this so hard.
    Why is what so hard? If you want to know what kind of mileage a vehicle gets, check the window sticker or the EPA website. Those ratings are there for a reason. Most vehicles don't match those figures exactly in the real world, but since the methodology is the same, a vehicle that is EPA rated at 20 mpg can be counted on to get better real world mileage than a vehicle with an EPA rating of less than 20. In practice, figure that you will see about 1-2 mpg less than the EPA rating. If you're a very careful driver, you might actually achieve the EPA rating or slightly better.

Also, keep in mind that mileage will improve as a new vehicle breaks in. Over the first 2,500 miles on my 07 Santa Fe Limited AWD, I averaged just 17.6 mpg (EPA rated at 19/24). I now that 8,300 miles on it. Over the last 2,500 miles, I have averaged 20.6 mpg. I've been charting the mileage, and it started increasing at around the 2,000 mile mark. If I really try, I can now get 25+ mpg for a tank when cruising on the highway, and I can consistently get 18-19 mpg around town.

If you want 23-24 consistently around town, however, you're going to have to go with a much lighter vehicle. There is no way that a vehicle as large and heavy as the Santa Fe will consistently achieve that kind of city mileage with a standard gas drivetrain.
    I guess I am used to getting the mid hwy/city mileage on my toyotas. I also have a lead foot and a lot of city travel I want maximum speed available as soon as I can. The Toyotas seem to be able to handle my kind of driving. Really don't like seeing mileage below city sticker consistantly. But as you said it seems to break in some.

I am replacing a 2001 sienna that gets consistantly 21 MPG hwy/city. If I can't achieve that with an SUV I have to look elsewhere. Perhaps even keep the VAN, as MPG was one factor in replacing it.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    If MPG is such an important factor, why not lighten up your foot a bit? Sounds like you should also check out hybrids.
    Good Luck---I have yet to get even 19 with my 2006, 2.7 Sante Fe
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    The Santa Fe 2.7L engine was heavily revised for the new 2007MY Santa Fe. The new 2.7L has 15 more horsepower than the 2006MY 2.7, gets better gas mileage and is cleaner as well (ULEV rather than just LEV). I get 22 mpg combined city/highway (30%/70%) in my GLS M/T with about 3500 miles on the odo, but I typically drive 80 for about a third of my commute into/away from work.
    Uh, no...lol
    I get to downshift and go up the mountains though.
    lol
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    About 16 the one time I did it at about 8000 miles, this is a combo highway/city. Also does better with acceleration with 89 fuel. I think you will do as well or better with the bigger engine.
    Your "combo" driving is normal driving though. It should fall between 18 and 23.
    Yes, the larger engine is better on acceleration
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    "I am replacing a 2001 sienna that gets consistantly 21 MPG hwy/city. If I can't achieve that with an SUV I have to look elsewhere. Perhaps even keep the VAN, as MPG was one factor in replacing it."

If you're looking for MPG, don't buy an SUV, unless it's a hybrid. Keep your minivan, or buy another minivan. Heck, I get 26MPG with my older Grand Caravan ES with the 3.3L V6 on trips, which isn't too bad for such a large and heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread.
    what do you mean hyundai isn't doing anything? you have the previous model, and that milage is very consistent with the EPA city milage.
    " Really don't like seeing mileage below city sticker consistantly"

the sticker is just an estimate, not fact. everyone drives with different habits, and if you have a lead foot, then you won't get anywhere near the EPA mileage listed on a car.
    you will get poor mpg if you idle a lot too - i got 14.5 mpg but i know i was doing a lot of idling in traffic and waiting to pick up others - using the climate control all the time and have a lead foot any time i have the chance not to be stuck in traffic - so i too was disapponted in my Santa Fe - until I logically looked at all these factors... just miss the 2001 toyota corolla mpg - a completely different animal though driven/treated the same...
    Getting my chooses under control.

I too miss my corolla mpg hehe.

Any way doing my own forum calculations it looks like the
    2.7 auto GLS gets about 21 MPG combined which would be acceptable shame though we would use it mostly in city and would feel the pain.

Really looking at the SE as well because of the features I guess you can expect to get 19 MPG out of that one combined.

We are also looking at the Highlander which would get a few miles better then the GLS. RAV4 gets best MPG but rather not go that route.
  • jdrickjdrick Member Posts: 3
    I am approaching 10,000 miles on my Santa Fe, and I am lucky to average 15mpg around town. This driving is mostly 25-40 mph driving in a mostly residental environment (smaller town where there is limited traffic congestion).... the dealer gave me a line "wait until it breaks in.. about 10,000 miles.." being an engineer, I know that break in is necessary, but not 10,000 miles... anyway, my driving has been about a "fuel conservative" as possible (no rabbit starts, limited idling, etc, but no improvement. Hiway driving nets me 20-22 mpg, which I can't complain about.

My question is, whether this is typical for an AWD Limited version. The rating was 25/20, and I am geting 25% below that on the city driving... before I take it in one more time to have them look at it, I thought I'd better see if I am getting what is typical....

Thanks.. Rick
    "My question is, whether this is typical for an AWD Limited version. The rating was 25/20"

25/20? What year is your Santa Fe? My 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD was rated at 26/19. Because EPA recently changed the way it calculates fuel economy, the new EPA rating for the 07 and 08 Sante Fe Limited AWD is 24/17: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=23007-

And that's pretty much what I'm getting. My 07 Limited AWD has just shy of 9,000 miles on it now. Around town, I get 17-18 mpg. On the highway, I get 21-22. Combined (mostly city), I've used 470 gallons to drive 8,827 miles, for an average of 18.8 mpg.
  • enrouteenroute Member Posts: 17
    I have only 800Km (500miles) on my AWD 3.3L. My driving is about 50/50 highway and city. I got only about 15.5MPG (transfered from KM/L) for the first two tanks of gas. It's not impressive, burning 25% more than my old Toyota RAV4 with 2.4L engine AWD. Hopefully the number is getting better. :P
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    I have about 2000 miles on my 2007 Santa Fe Se. I am getting about 22MPG which is not bad considering it is a seven passenger model. I have the FWD model and my driving is combined city and highway and going by the computer. I do not race it and drive fast but accelerate gradually. Great SUV.Fred.
  • patches2patches2 Member Posts: 13
    Maybe I'm doing something right or what but my SF is front wheel drive and I'm getting 22-24 with only 500 miles on it. and I'm hoping for even better when it is broken in. Is this good or am I doing something wrong. I drive 90% interstate and don't go above 65. :P
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    These cars seem really radical. I only have 2000 miles on mine since last Feb and in town only (especially when it is cold, I only get 15-16mpg !!! NO AC of anything, and no load in the Car either...Ouch! Good thing I do not run arounf very often. My last car was a 2005 Hinda "uglymobile..The Element ;) " it averaged about 25mpg. The one befor that was a 2004 Audi 2.4 turbo. It got about 24 but only drank Premium...Used to dread pulling inm for a fill up. I was commuting in those days

I have the 3.3L AWD SF. It is really a heavy beast...about 4000 lbs. I run with 33 PSI (pressure taken when it is cold) in the tires at this time of year. In the summer, I run 30lbs) My dealer says they run 35 PSI all year round! I will be surprised if it changes much...not like the good ole days! He said that the engine varies a lot around town. No jack rabbit starts and not carrying much "stuff" in it ever.

When on the Fwy and it is warmed up and doing about 65-75mph, I am good for about 26...sometimes 28 when it slopes downhill! I run 87 Chevron (since the station is the closest) ASyt 65, when you need to stomp on it, It really gets moving!

When my SF decides it wants to go, it really flies too....a very smooth powerful pickup to it too! The power is good to feel under you (until the monthly gas bill comes in.) :sick: I really do not think the brand of gas has much to do with it either. In Reno, there is only 1 pipeline. The tankers all get the same stock and then the additives are added to the load....The Newer cars computers would compensate for differences anyway (may chg a 1mg or so but nothing major.

The engine runs rough (like it is choking out or something like that) until it warms up. DFealer says that is normal for ter 3.3L

As much as I like the concept, I can't figure out how people justify a Prius or the like. as they cost about $6000 more than a regular car of that size and $6000 buys an awful lot of gas. Maybe a hybrid Sante fe? :P Sounds like a rotten ROI to me.
  • scottk2scottk2 Member Posts: 19
    My SF Ltd AWD has about 3500 miles. Most of my driving is my commute each day approx. 100 miles almost all highway. I use cruise control and drive the speed limit. My MPG has been around 21.6-21.8 on the indicator.

Is the indicator accurate?
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Took my Ltd FWD on its first long distance trip last weekend, from Dallas to Houston and back. I got 23.7 mpg on the way there. My wife got 25.3 mpg on the way back. She has a lighter foot! I was pleased with both results, because if we had taken my Avalanche I'd be looking at no better than 18 mpg.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    "As much as I like the concept, I can't figure out how people justify a Prius or the like. as they cost about $6000 more than a regular car of that size and $6000 buys an awful lot of gas. Maybe a hybrid Santa fe? Sounds like a rotten ROI to me."

It is a rotten ROI. Using EPA fuel economy numbers ($980 versus $1558 annual fuel cost for 15k miles), it would take 10.4 years for the Prius to break even versus a Corolla. By then you would have the replace the batteries as well, which would push the ROI out even further. Hybrids are a scam. If you really cared about the environment, it would be better to plant a $1000 worth of trees. If you want to save gas, carpool or move closer to work.
    I'm now at 10,870 miles on my '07 Ltd AWD w/ touring (7 passenger). I'm still getting around 17.5-18.0 around town, and 22-23 highway. That's using 87 octane gas, mostly from Speedway/SuperAmerica. While I was hoping for 20 mpg around town, I'm not disappointed. My SF is big, comfortable and powerful, and 17-18 city/22-24 highway on 87 octane seems very reasonable. We just got back from driving my wife's new Saturn Outlook to Detroit and back (700 miles each way), and only managed 18.6 mpg highway despite an EPA rating of 26. She's only getting 15-16 mpg around town.
    i'm at 23k miles and still seeing 16-17mpg - i have a lead foot and get stuck in traffic a lot so i don't know.... maybe if i make the trip from NJ to GA this Christmas I'll get a true idea of the real mpg - that was the 1st trip i took when i 1st got my '07 awd Santa Fe limited - but it was being broken iin then...
  • patches2patches2 Member Posts: 13
    I posted a reply shortly after purchasing my '07 SF FWD. Since then I've driven 1500 mile and I'm getting combined 22.217 MPG and this is for 5 fill-ups. my best was 23.064 and my worst was 21.708 so I guess I should be happy.
    Go easy and stop easy and you may get better mileage. :D
    I'm planning a short trip this weekend to DC 300 mile round trip so I'll post the mileage when I return.
    By the way I've got the 3.3 motor. :D:D
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I drove 520 miles from Atlanta to FL (each way). I averaged 22.7 mpg driving at 77 mph with the AC on. After I got back, I noticed the air pressure monitor was on for one of my tires. After checking it, indeed it was at 26psi and the other tires were at 27 psi. Thus, my mileage would have been even better if they had been properly inflated to 30 psi per door sticker. I however like to keep them at 32 psi. At least, I now know the low pressure indicator works and the mileage should be even better now.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I forgot to note that my SF is the SE AWD (3.3) with 12k miles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For future reference, after posting, you may edit your post for 30 minutes.

We did a road trip for Thanksgiving too, and I pumped my wagon tires up about 4 psi. My wife complained of the bumps on the backroads, but it probably helped my mpg.
    That's great---I'm still getting around 17 mpg and I have 19000 miles on it. I bought it last September. The 2.7 engine.
    Two dealerships don't wan tto go any further than their scan tools. I still think the trransmission is not shifting properly.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Seems about right, I got 16 in suburban/ highway driving with the 2.7 auto 4wd, yes no city driving. 18,000 mileage on it now, have not tested it since early on, might be a little better now.

I drive agressively. I would advise anyone to get the 3.3 and not cheap out like I did, I'm betting the mileage would be the same or better.
    i have the 3.3 limited awd - never better than low 17mpg - once it hit 23 but that was in the hilly areas of NJ where I coasted most of the time...
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    My young Santa Fe LTD is reaching around 19mpg, mostly small trips to and fro with some highway mixed in. I'm trying to reach 20mpg for around town then i'll be more satisfied. I just need to obey the posted speed limits more often.
  • bobclarbobclar Member Posts: 8
    My 2007 Limited is now 1 week old with 400 miles on it- All city driving and very careful calculations, using 87 octane I am getting 18 mpg

Bob