Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    In spite of any advertising you might have seen advocating that synthetic motor oils provide an increase in fuel economy any increase will be pretty much undetectable. There is no point in changing oils (from full sythentic to semi-synthetic or a blend to 100% natural oil)in a futile search of some "magic" formula that will provide you even a detectable difference in fuel economy. A valid reason for change could be better engine protection (synthetic?...maybe?)better cold oil flow (synthetic) longer change intervals (synthetic?...maybe?) or a personal preference but don't expect better fuel economy.
  • xj220xj220 Posts: 78
    When I refreshed it on the hwy, it quickly got to 44mpg :) Too bad it went down to 30mpg at the end of the trip :(
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "In spite of any advertising you might have seen advocating that synthetic motor oils provide an increase in fuel economy any increase will be pretty much undetectable." ((

Add to your list uncorroborated promises that measurable increases in engine power will occur with the use of synthetic motor oils. (Respectfully to those who believe that - baloney.) What synthetic oils bring to the table are somewhat reduced wear (though no where nearly to the point that synthetic advocates often claim), easier starting in very cold weather, and better stability against chemical breakdown in the presence of high heat - particularly over extended oil change intervals*. If I lived in Antarctica or towed a heavy trailered boat routinely across Death Valley in August, I'd use a full synthetic. For those who want to use a synthetic - by all means do so. It's your money and it can't hurt. Just be aware that how you drive and otherwise care for your ride determines far more how many trouble free miles you'll enjoy than the type or brand of motor oil you choose - presuming you stick with the latest API/ILSAC quality ratings for American and Asian cars or ACEA ratings for European cars.

*which, by and large, American and Asian automakers don't recognize for warranty purposes... :confuse:
  • My LX, mileage start 4419, end 6228= 1809mi total. Pensacola to Key West,FL and return. Interstate or hwy for all but 125mi, around KW and Panama City,FL. Gas consumed:69.7 gal for avg:=25.95+mpg actual. Car computer showed 27.2mpg Tire pressure checked:34lbs, rainy weather going, cloudy return. Overall trip travel excellent,enjoyable. No problems. Conditions permitting--Interstate speed 70+, hwy 60-70+,town local limits. (Afraid of the non-existant Florida's speed traps throughout. :P ) Would really liked to have seen better. Oh, btw I use synthetic Mobil 1, oil since 1st change at 2350 (?) mi. Around town (Pensacola) can't seem to make it to 19mpg. Submitted fyi. van :)
    Hang in there - your engine is still breaking in.

The new Sonatas are substantially larger (heavier) than the prior generation models they replaced.

The new Sonatas' 3.3L V6 engine is substantially more powerful (thirstier) than the 2.7L V6 engine it replaced.

Nevertheless, expect further improvement in highway fuel economy as the engine continues running in. (Hyundai does set their engines up on the tight side during build and recommends an extended break-in in the owner's manuals.) City useage is predictably worse - especially in "'rush hour' crawl" (Am I the only person who sees that phraseology as a non-sequitur?), since you get zero mpg when stopped with the engine idling.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Where did you get this list of "top tier" gasoline retailers? NOne of them are in South Central PA.
    I haven't done so, but try a search using "top tier gasoline blenders" as the limiting tool - you'll probably come up with a list that way. Also be mindful that the gub'mnt already specifies a minimum of detergent addititive content that ALL gasoline blenders in the U.S. must adhere to. I suspect Canadian gas meets very similar standards. I suspect gasoline formulated and sold south of the Mexican border isn't as dutifully policed. My gut feeling is that many national brand blenders meet top tier standards anyway though they haven't formally signed on to the "Top Tier" voluntary marketing qualifications. As I've stated repeatedly, avoid the no-name convenience store gasolines and trade at stations doing a lot of business to avoid "stale" gasoline. An ounce of common sense is worth a pound of advertising jingoism.

Addendum - I just took my own advice. The following is a list of Top Tier gasoline providers, though I make no claim to its completeness:

U.S. TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Aloha Petroleum
    Chevron
    Conoco
    Entec Stations
    Kwik Star/Kwik Trip
    MFA Oil Company
    Phillips
    QuikTrip
    Shell
    Texaco
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Tri-Par Oil Company

Canadian TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Chevron-Canada
    Petro-Canada
    Shell-Canada

Mexican TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Get Real! (There's a reason many Americans mispronounce PEMEX, "Pee-Mex"... ;))
  • matt44matt44 Posts: 9
    I'm well beyond the break in period (over 20,000 miles now on my 2006 Sonata GLS V6). Drive highway 75%.

Yes I drive fast and accelerate fast but my previous V6 Accord would average about 24 to 26 miles per gallon.

My Sonata averages between 16 and 18 miles per gallon. The highest I ever averaged was about 19.5 mpg once.

Also, I use both the 'computer' on the dash, as well as fill up the car completely and check the mileage as I know that both together provide the best average.

Needless to say I do drive fast on the highway usually always over 80 unless its rush hour. But I had MUCH better mileage with the Accord I traded in (wish I hadn't now).

And no - I don't tow 2000 lbs with me, its just usually me and nothing more than a few CD's in the car!

Very dissapointed to say the least. I will not buy another Hyundai again based on my experience (not to mention 3 trips to the dealer - two for warranty work and one for a recall).
  • re 252
    Thanks for the encouragement, I am hoping for it (MPG) to keep increasing. Unfortunately, most of my miles will still be around town, with maybe a short run to see family, about 125-150mi each way. This (KW) trip happens maybe once a year, although I keep threatening to relocate somewhere else.
    van :)
  • I have an 07 LTD, 21000 miles...no trips to dealer yet for any work other then lock programming...milaege consistently 25-27...90% hwy...cruise usually set to 75 to 80...occasional bursts to over 100...difference may be smooth acceleration to speed and judicial use of brakes..reading traffic and coming off throttle instead of constant braking does wonders for fuel economy...in other words, smooth, smooth, smooth. Take it from a professional driver who does over 100k per year.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Sounds like you are constantly jumping on the gas pedal, even on the highway.

My '05 Sonata V6 has "only" 170 HP and at least as much torque (I forget the rating). This is considerablly less power than your '06, yet I seldom give it more than half throttle, usually less than that. This moderate acceleration still has plenty of "giddyup." I could probably count on my fingers the number of times in 12K miles that I've taken the engine over 3K rpm.

Most of my driving in on local streets on trips under 5 miles. In the warm weather I get just under 19mpg. Last winter I averaged around 16.8. And this warmer winter in CT I'm averaging close to 18 mpg. This is with less than 10% highway driving, sometimes 0% highway.

You'd be suprised how just a little adjustment in your "mash the gas & jam the brakes" driving style will improve your overall mpg.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    You'd be suprised how just a little adjustment in your "mash the gas & jam the brakes" driving style will improve our overall mpg.

Amen to that! A few years ago, my son had a Chevy S-10 4WD truck. He complained abou the mileage constantly and said he couldn't get more than about 10-11 mpg. I had to use the truck and while I was driving it, I managed to get over 14 mpg with it while hauling some furniture and building materials!

I can't remember who told me this, but years ago I was told to press down on the gas pedal as if there was an egg between your foot and the pedal. Good advice, especially if you want to maximize your mileage. ;)
    I agree completely with what all of you have said in that adjusting the way I drive would improve my mpg.

My point was that I have always driven this way (slam the accelerator to the floor, drive as fast as possible on the highway, etc...). And driving this way I got around 6 to 8 mpg better in the V6 Accord I traded in.

The last time I had taken it to the dealer I even asked them to see if there could be something wrong with the car because I was getting low mileage and they found nothing.

I guess this wouldn't have bothered me much a few years ago when gas was about $1 a gallon, but the last year with gas going over $3 a gallon it really got me pissed off!
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Giant shrug....you gotta pay if you play. You admit that you drive hard so instead of useless comparison to some other car you owned SLOW DOWN then you won't have any complaints because driven sanely a V-6 06/07 Sonata is capable of the upper 20's to near 30 mpg on the highway. This is so stupid!!!
  • Amen, brother. ;)
  • eagle2aeagle2a Posts: 97
    My 2006 Sonata is my first car with a trip computer. I must say it has been quite a revelation to be able to see instantaneously how my driving habits are effecting my gas mileage.

After all of the reports over all of the years we all should know by now that a light foot on the throttle saves gas. But as the old saying goes, "old habits are hard to break!" The trip computer(along with 3 dollars per gallon gas) has helped me to lighten my foot and break the old habit of over accelerating, in town driving, and then having to break hard at the next stop sign.

My four-cylinder Sonata is capable of getting between 20 and 22 miles per gallon in town, and by driving 60 or 65 mph, on the highway of getting between 31 and 35 mpg depending upon how hilly the terrain is, and how strong or weak the wind conditions are.

So, for me at least, I will watch the trip computer, lighten my throttle pedal behavior, and put money in my bank account. :shades:
    The problem is the MORE powerful V6 Accord (and faster) that I traded in got 6 to 8 mpg BETTER ! This from an Accord that's engine was 4 years older than the Sonata. If you could read my post intelligently (I know it's a lot to ask of some people) you would see I'm complaining based on comparing the Sonata to the Accord (which was older and more powerful!). I think this might also be a good reason why Sonata is now around 50% fleet while the Accord is only at 1% fleet.

That is a problem when the driving styles don't change, yet the more powerful, faster car get's you 6 to 8 mpg better !

I'm posting my experience on this forum so that people can have a true picture of what the Sonata does in terms of mpg if you like to accelerate hard and fast. I have talked a few people out of the Sonata due to my experience and this will be my first and last Hyundai. A couple of trips to the dealer to get things fixed under warranty did not help either when comparing to an Accord that was around for many more years than the Sonata so far.

From my experience Hyundai is way begind Honda in terms of fuel efficiency and engine technology and I guess that's one reason why you pay much less. Overall it's not a bad car for the price, but next time if I'm interested in just cheap I might even have to consider a GM! I won't even go into the resale value of the Sonata vs the Accord that I got top dollar for...

Good luck to all and to all a good night.
  • eagle2a,
    My 06 I4 has about ther same MPG as yours. You are right about watching the computer to save gas. I make a game out of it and set a number.2 to .3 higher than shown to achieve on my way home from work (about 8 miles). I usually make my mafrk by the time I pull into the garage.

I really haven't done much highway driving since I got mine. The highway driving I have done has been in extreme winds with blowing horizontal snow.
  • eagle2aeagle2a Posts: 97
    Hi Craig: Another thing that I have learned in trying to save gas is to let my Sonata coast a lot. I never realized just how much one can coast and not loss much speed.

The other good thing about the Sonata is its adaptive learning regarding the transmission shift points. As others have pointed out, Hyundai has a very good learning curve programmed into there Auto trannys. I noticed mine acquiring much better costing behavior the more I drove it in this way.

It all saves gas, and today that equals MONEY! :D
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    You never mentioned the model year of your car. The engine is 4 years older? Does that make your old Honda a 2003 or are you talking about when the engine was designed or first put into use? What size was the Honda engine and it's horsepower? All V6's are not the same size or horsepower, just like in the glory days of muscle cars there were V8's ranging from family cars to faster than all get out. Of course, the more power, the less mpg...but who cared at that time with "premium" gas under 50 cents a gallon?