Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

1262728293032»

Comments

• dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    Manufacturers do test themselves. EPA just does spot checks. If the numbers are off it is because Hyundai submitted them that way.
  • iron2iron2 Posts: 3
    I totally agree with you. This is normally how it works. Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory. Thanks for your reply
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,721
    The real world numbers are definitely off from the EPA estimates on my wife's 2013 2.4. On every highway drive I've done, I've achieved over 38 mpg. The last two, each 150 miles and with some non-highway driving, were 40.0 and 38.7 mpg. In town, I easily exceed the EPA number except in very cold weather and short trips.

But my wife has trouble hitting 20 mpg on the same car, in city driving with some urban freeway mixed in.

It's not the car (except in rare cases where there is a problem affecting FE). It's how and where and when the car is driven.
  • cpenycpeny Posts: 18
    When I here drifts like this all I can think of is where do people live where they can drive their car like ma and pa kettle. Almost impossible in most major metropolitans without causing road rage or an accident. But kudos to those that can, but seeing is believing in most cases. I drive pretty conservative and have yet to reach 25 city. Highway I can get 35 nog without using a/c and few hills in my path. So I will leave this with simply saying Wow.
    edited July 2013
    My wife drives like a granny... more conservatively than I do. Obviously there's more to it than that. I live in a metro area of 2.5 million. Major enough for you?

I am fortunate to live in the Midwest, where driving no more than 5 over on highways in the right lane won't cause road rage. Also I don't sit in stop and go traffic every day like a lot of drivers do.

My "wow" is that I can't figure out why more people don't understand what "YMMV" means wrt fuel economy and the EPA estimates.
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    For the best mpg info check out Consumer Reports.
    Hyundai Sonata and Camry both came in @ 27 mpg in their road test.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    There is no sure fire way for any dealership to do a MPG fuel economy test. I work at a Ford dealership and I run into this problem alot with some of our customers. I can tell you the same thing that I tell them. Look at your vehicle's Maroney Label under those 2 big bold fuel economy numbers for the fine print that says "Expected range for most drivers" and if your vehicle is inside of that range it's getting the correct fuel economy. There are too many variables that contribute to fuel economy to say what's the cause and/or fix because people driving habits are different than what the EPA and manufactures do to determine what a vehicle's fuel econom should be. You can drive your car and get 19-20mpg than someone else drives it and gets 26-27mpg. I own a 2012 Genesis 3.8 and when my wife drives it, she gets about 25-26mpg, when I drive it I get 27-28mpg, and I'm not easy on it.
  • mwaugh1mwaugh1 Posts: 7
    Nice ...mine is giving 32 on the first tank after careful driving :-) ..although the terrain here in Los Angeles in not flat. Still a low number, dealer recommends waiting to see numbers on 2nd and 3rd tank post break in period :(
  • iron2iron2 Posts: 3
    Was told by my Dealer/Service Manager that that there is a 15K mile engine break in period before true MPG can be calculated. This is a new one on me. Purchased my 2013 Sonata Sept 2012. First 2 fill-ups were 24.2 mpg. Since then I've averaged between 19 & 21 mpg. Only 6k miles on the car at this time. At this rate it will take me between 2-3 years to average the 24 mpg for city driving as advertised. Has anyone ever heard of this break-in period ?
    I've owned or leased five Hyundais or Kias (shared powertrains) and I have found that FE has improved significantly as the engine gets some miles. I've seen improvement in the first 1500-2000 miles but it tends to get better beyond that, so there seems to be truth to what the dealer is telling you.

My wife's 2013 Sonata GLS, leased nearly a year ago, has almost 7000 miles on it now and it easily meets or beats its EPA FE numbers... when I drive it. My wife doesn't know how to drive for optimum FE (and yes, I've tried teaching her) so she usually gets below the EPA numbers. Which proves again "YMMV", even with the same car but different drivers.

Keep in mind however that YOU may never get the 24 mpg EPA number. It all depends on what "city driving" is for YOU and how it compares to how the EPA tests cars. No one individual is guaranteed to hit the EPA numbers. It's a means of comparing FE between cars. I don't do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, e.g. in downtowns, and rarely need to drive in stop-and-go rush hour traffic, so I know that's one reason I have no trouble beating the EPA numbers on any car I've owned or leased.
  • I drive the same vehicle, 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4, and get mileage well below the EPA estimates. Granted, I have a very short commute at very low speeds, but even on the highway, the only way I can achieve 30+ mpg is to reset the trip computer once I've reached highway speed. My combined mileage is in the 17-20 mpg range. I'm sure multiple factors contribute to the poor mileage and my driving habits could be better. That said, every other vehicle I've driven, I have gotten mileage averages in the ball park of the estimates, while this Hyundai is waaay off. My biggest problem with this is that EPA estimates are a factor when I am deciding which vehicle to purchase. Hyundai got busted with their EPA estimates on several other models and is re-imbursing owners of those vehicles, https://hyundaimpginfo.com/overview/affected-models#estimator is evidence of their over-stating economy ratings. Unfortunately, the Sonata isn't in the campaign. I'm just thankful that fuel prices have come down a little bit recently. Other than the fuel economy, I love the car.

I had a reminder yesterday of how much weather can factor into fuel economy. I made a 240-mile round trip in my wife's 2013 Sonata 2.4L, with four adults in the car. The outbound trip was at about 50 degrees, light mist, and a strong tailwind (sometimes crosswind). Speed most of the time was ~67 mph with several slower stints for road construction, also a few stoplights and 10 miles up front urban. FE on that leg was 39.7 mpg. On the return trip, I was usually driving into that stiff wind, and had a few more stoplights due to a slightly different route. Temperature was in upper 50s. FE for that leg was only 34.9 mpg. Still quite good given the EPA highway rating is 35 and I had four people in the car and not all highway driving.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,699

@Backy elevation changes are also a factor. I even notice it on my just under 30 mile round trip commute.

Oh definitely. I've noticed that too. That could have played a bit of a role in my case as the destination elevation is ~100 feet less than the starting elevation.

• brianj6brianj6 Posts: 3

I have a 2013 GLS that is getting 25-26 mpg city and 35-38 hwy. We just got a turbo SE and getting 23 city 34 hwy although only for a week on it.