Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    I just read this post and wonder..what is the "advertized mpg" for a Sonata? I don't have a Hyundai but 34mpg's on the highway from a big sedan sounds pretty damn good to me.

(I can't get that from my Nissan Versa!)
  • I apologize for nothing, I am satisfied with my car, fuel ecomomy included. I simply tried to offer some reasonable explainations for differing fuel economy from the EPA, alternative driving styles to improve ones personal economy (if you are the type who drives like a moron at 80 mph passes everybody then slams on the brakes at the next traffic red, then starts over) and other things that I consider common sense. If something there touches a nerve oh well....I try, really try, to steer clear of these stupid "I don't get the ADVERTISED fuel economy" posts but every once in a while I get fed up with the idiocy and reluctantly reply. I'll try harder.
  • It is 24 city/35 highway per the EPA (mileage may vary according to your driving style and other variables), and you are right for a large relatively powerful sedan it is great...but apparently not good enough for some.
  • Actually I am 65, drive very conservatively, take great care of the car, no jack rabbit starts, stop slowly at red lights and focus on fuel economy. The MPG is over-rated and you are the moron.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    Really strange that all the posted results vary so much by driver. 22-24 in city and 33-37 highway on our 2012 GLS is pretty close to EPA estimates and we don't have an EPA driving route so we are pleased. Car is also great in all other aspects - so far. Buyers remorse is common with all large purchases and negative views are generally more supercharged so maybe the world is not perfectly round after all.
  • My, my, don't take it personally bud. For the record I am far from a moron. To all, including you, since you chose to take that part of my post personally it was a generalization of that type of driver. Again, for you personally since you don't know me please do not call me a moron again.
    Name calling - a new low - well at least it is the season - election season that is.
  • Hi, may name is Scott. You cant say you haven't meet some one who has gotten 35 mpg any longer. We took our 2013 sonata on a 2300 mile trip. I got 34 with out trying and 37.4 MPG when I kept the speed 65 to 75 mph. I wish the around town milage was better, but we get about 22 mpg. The car is amazingly fast and fun to drive. The Sonata will kill my Mustang 4 cylinder car even with 4 people in it. I'm very impressed with this car and NEVER thought I would buy one. It is also very roomy, comfortable and great looking. So far, this cars a 10. Only time will tell if I continue to feel this way. I felt this way about our Buick Rainier for 2 years, then it turned out to be a total POC. I am hoping this doesn't happen again!
  • Hi Scott, Glad you like your Sonata. To answer why the Sonata wasn't included: The EPA tested it and found that it met the posted numbers. Most Sonatas (non-turbo autos) are rated 24mpg City and 35mpg Hwy running pure gasoline. The EPA confirmed these numbers to be correct.

By the way, are you sure your Mustang has a 4-cyl engine? Those haven't been built for 20 years.
  • Oops my bad, it has a 6 not a four, that makes it even worse!
  • The range of in town mileage is interesting and surprisingly variable. If I did not have a reference point I might not have posted (I say I'm a gentle driver but how do I really know; I have 5-6 lights on way to work - how does that reflect the EPA model). But I do have a reference and that is what makes me wonder about my specific car. I drove a 6 cylinder, 12 year old Intrepid (a little heavier than the Sonata) with over 100K miles over the same route for years and was able to get about 19 mpg (its EPA rating was actually 18 mpg in town). The fact that the new Sonata, with a 4 cylinder engine gets about the same mpg totally surprised me. Where are the benefits of the new technology for in town driving (highway is totally different - I can get 34-35 on the Sonata and only got 24-6 on the Intrepid)?

Different drivers and different routes are clearly going to affect mpg. But there is quite a range here. Is there an issue with engine/car tuning?
  • Namecalling is not only low, but it's a violation of our Membership Agreement and isn't permitted. Let's knock off the personal comments.
    (not aimed at you, crankeee, just responding to the last post in the string.)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

no offense taken. I attribute the childish behavior to the times. The recent election has illustrated some rather unsavory human characteristics. This board is VERY vluable in purchasing, servicing and operating any vehicle and saves invaluable time wasted by single user trial and error. Thanks.
  • sonata13losersonata13loser Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    I am so disappointed in my 2013 Sonata. I was told to expect better mileage than I was getting on my old car--a 2005 Toyota Avalon (26 in city and 31 highway). The exact opposite has been true. I am averaging 18 in city and 26 mpg on a two-hour high way trip. My Sonata is only 14 weeks old. I feel like I was terribly misled and I believe something is wrong with the car to be getting such bad mpg. My mileage hasn't been this bad in decades, and then I was driving a big gas-guzzler! Where is the supposed improvement in technology for this auto? Unless Hyundai stands behind my complaint this will be my first and last Hyundai. There is a sucker born every minute . . . and I was the sucker 14 weeks ago!
  • I agree. I feel ripped off and that I was a victim of false advertising. I have driven for 50 years (Pontiacs, Chevys, Buicks and 5 Toyotas in a row) and have never had this kind of experience.

The gov't needs to act on this.
  • I couldn't agree more.
  • I would be delighted with that mileage. I suggest you try to read comments without prejudging and understand that there are far too many of us not getting anywhere near the numbers you mention. I have yet to see above 26 mpg in any situation! That is frightening when you have made a commitment to lease or purchase a such a large investment as a 2013 auto.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Did you reset the average mpg meter before the highway part of your trip, and take the reading when leaving the highway? You gave both a city and highway number for your 2-hour "highway" trip, so just wondering. 26 mpg while cruising on the highway is very low. With a recent 2013 Sonata rental, I got better than that just with around-town driving.
    edited November 2012
    We have a two very different autos. 2010 Lacrosse CXL and 2012 Sonata GLS. Wife's Buick has most options available, leather,small V-6, 18" wheels with low profile tires. Beautiful quiet car with 18-20 mpg in city and 28-30 highway - car weighs ~4000 pounds and rides like a limo.
    The Buick was $12M more than the Hyundai MSRP and much more with newer models.
    The Sonata has an MSRP in low $20's and weighs in at 3200#,16" standard tires,no leather or glitz but most modern options with adequate I-4 engine ( fairly noisy but good power match with car) and 20-24 in city(wide variation depending upon conditions) and 33-37 on highway depending on speed (not A/C, load, conditions). Great highway car with more noise-wind & engine - good visibility and outstanding MPG so it is the road car choice with high gas cost.
    Point is; We are the same drivers for both cars but they are very different in weight, service, options, MPG, comfort, noise level and PRICE. At 50%+ more cost , the Buick should be a more comfortable luxurious car and it is with less MPG . The Hyundai at 20% less weight should get better MPG and it does for us. Both cars deliver the EPA rated MPG, sometimes better. The only real choice for city MPG was to buy a small light weight hybrid which did not work for us. Much discussion on this board about buyers getting the wrong car for their driving needs, either city or highway, lead foot or old folks slow, max comfort or max MPG. Choose wisely within your buying limits and be thankful for good safe cars with good roads to drive on.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    Even the older Buick Centuries with the 3.1 V-6 were amazingly comfortable, quiet and fuel efficient on the highway, 31 to 33 mpgs, and that was over 10 years ago. My Buick Park Ave Ultra got the same highway mpgs as our Nissan Versa.

As the car buying public is now seriously picking and choosing different cars with better mpg's, the Oil Companies are simply hiking the gas prices higher and higher to keep the billion$ in profits rolling in every month. (BP is paying their 4 billion fine for the Gulf deep water oil blow out, out of one quarters profits)

I think the truth is, if everyone were driving 100 mpg cars, the price of gas would simply go to $20.00 a gallon.

$