Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• Yes, I did reset the mpg meter when I filled up and entered the highway. I now reset it every once in a while while driving in town hoping to erase old bad mpg and start fresh, but the results do not change significantly.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    We had a 98 Bonneville that always got 30+ at speed limit plus and 16-20 in town. Big heavy road car - just got old , like the drivers , so we traded. The maintenance cost on an older car is a serious factor what with the O/S warranties on certain cars now. If we get a good car, we keep it 10 years or more.
    Oil companies play the lobbying game very well. Price of gas has NOTHING to do with cost to produce crude + refineries. They are allowed to make 6% of the cost so high cost foreign crude works better for profits than low cost domestic. Check out a long term comparison of crude oil cost vs. profits.
    Now they are EXPORTING petroleum/gas at established higher prices due to "world demand". What happened to keeping our resources for national security Mr. Politician?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Have you taken your car into the dealer to see if there's something mechanically wrong with it? 26 mpg while cruising on the highway at a moderate speed (e.g. under 70) is way too low for that car, assuming it's operating normally.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    "What happened to keeping our resources for national security Mr. Politician?"

Mr. Politician is likely bought and paid for by the Koch Brothers

MPG' forums are everywhere, you name the Car, and there's someone posting that's not meeting or beating the window sticker mileage. This is one area where 'taking it into the dealer' is a total waste of your time.

Unless it's bucking, backfiring, and stalling right at the door, it comes out "Can't replicate the issue" or "no stored code"...or bring it back when it does it again...
    With an underperforming mpg vehicle about all you can hope for is that you leased it.
  • I see many who lament that their big old Pontiac, Buick Ford,... "insert name here"... got great mpg e.g. 30+ highway... "insert mileage here"... even with a big V-6, 4 speed auto, and all that road hugging weight so why oh why can't the latest technology at least duplicate that ? Well, blame, if you are looking for a entity to blame, the good ole US government. Howzaat? Well, first and maybe formost the ever stricter EPA emission requirements. Is it good enough that the air quality coming out of the tailpipe of a modern car is cleaner than the air going into the airbox? Nooooo so strike #1 is emissions. All that great technology is enabling manufacturers to merely tread water fuel economy and driveability wise. OK strike 2 is ethanol, 10%...15%...85% all of it reduces fuel economy by a minimum of 3-5%@ 10% blends to much, much more at higher levels. In addition to at least one magazine exploring this with the same vehicle using various blends from E-10-85% then compairing that to straight gas and noting the DECREASE in economy by nearly 20% if I recall on E-85. Actually I have noted the same decrease percentage on a 1995 car that I have had for 10 years and keeping track of economy before and after ethanol..a 5% decrease for me consistantly. Strike 3 is marketing, every manufacturer is now selling fuel economy and if your sub compact can't claim 40+ your compact 38+ your mid size 34 or 35 and even your SUV middle 20's then people move on even though the whole package as a car is super. This is proved out here where apparently most of you complainers generally like the car as a whole BUT dislike the fuel economy so lets throw the car out. Why? I guess unless it meets or exceeds the sticker numbers then Hyundai... or"insert offending manufacturer here"... as a company are liars and frauds. In my opinion for a relatively large powerful roomy sedan to get at least something over 30mpg, as most get, in this environment of ever stricter restrictions, crummy diluted gas, and a nation of chronic speeders is remarkable. By the way though I generally like Hyundai please check other forums for complainers concerning "poor" (read less than the advertised sticker fuel economy). Hint, you will find this complaint from probably every model from every manufacturer. Again, "you can't please all the people all the time" how true.
  • How about strike 4? Many of the people who compare new cars to old neglect to factor in the weight differences. An older compact car compared to a new compact is generally smaller, lighter, and less safe due to the changes in required safety equipment now mandated by our government. Think airbags, ABS, TCS, rollover standards, crumple zones, etc. All those mandated requirements mean that the new cars, regardless of make, need all the technology they can reasonably include to get close to the economy of the older cars. Plus many models have actually moved up in class and luxury compared to older models of the same name. There are just so many factors involved.
  • When I joined this forum I thought it would be a good exchange of ideas on Sonata mileage issues. So many of the Sonata owners I chatted with had way less than promised MPG. Goodness, even the head of Hyundai auto in Korea acknowledged and apologized for the deception. And if any of you travelled throughout Asia as I did during my working days then you realize how embarassing that is for them. It's called "loss of face", and even prompts some executives to commit suicide.
    But all I got from this forum was comments from presumed Hyundai employees or salespeople saying how it is my fault. One guy who referred to us as a moron should be banned from this forum.
    I am removing my name from the forum list...hey I'm retired and financially secure...who needs this crap.
    To the moderators of this forum...you need to discipline some of these posters.
  • I am THAT GUY and as I stated in reply to an earlier post where the person replying to my "moron" statement called ME a moron. I explained that the term "moron" was a generalization of those "morons" who drive agressively, speeding then slamming on the brakes to stop at the next red signal light, only to rocket off to do it all over again THEN complain about poor fuel economy. I was NOT calling anyone here, in particular, names. So, goodby and happy Thanksgiving! Free speech still prevails, I think.
  • Not that you're out of line, but "free speech" has nothing to do with private property, like these forums. Freedom of speech does allow you to say whatever you want, without obligating anyone to provide you a venue in which to say it. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    I rented a 2013 Sonata for 2 days earlier this week and was amazed at the mileage. Even though the car only had 1300 miles, after filling up, resetting, and getting on the highway the mileage display went up to 42 mpg using cruise control at 65 mph. Overall mileage for my rental was 32+ mpg for the 2 days. Eco was on the entire time.

In order to see if there might be something amiss on a car with disappointing mileage, I'd suggest resetting the mileage display and immediately getting on the highway using cruise control at 65 or so. If you don't show at least in the high 30's, I'd say something was wrong. Getting the dealer to admit to a problem is another question.

Using this method as a test would eliminate any influence on mileage from poor driver technique.
  • My experience has really been in local driving - I get the expected mileage on the highway. The car has a stated city MPG of 24, and I get somewhere between 18-19. That's a significant difference especially since 75% of my driving is local.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited November 2012
    42 mpg Highway for the Elantra is pretty much what to expect, 2 recent published highway mpg tests of the car also got the same or a little better.

One test featured a car rental Elantra, with a few thousand miles on it and a Chevy Cruze on a 600+ mile over hill and dale run. Both of them got over the window sticker mpg but the Elantra beat the Cruze by a cupfull. I think the other mpg highway test of the Elantra was done by Motor Trend and they were amazed at the great mpg's they got.

" Not only is it easy to achieve, it's easy to surpass, even under less than ideal conditions. If you choose a car with a high-economy claim and drive within reason, you should be able to match those window-sticker figures. Considering that these cars are also decent performers on the road, the benefit of this high-efficiency engineering really goes to consumers, who are apparently getting more than they've bargained for."

(they must have somehow found a regular driver on staff and not the Lead Footed Gear Heads that they normally have behind the wheel of anything they test drive)
    "City driving" has so many variables, very different for different people. For some, it's cruising on suburban roads with some urban freeways. For others, it's sitting stopped in heavy traffic a lot (when FE is zero). Then there's the folks who have short commutes, with the engine not warmed up and operating at full efficiency for most of the trip. And some people live where it's hot so AC is on full blast all the time, others live where it's cold 6 months of the year so the car takes longer to warm up (and maybe the driver starts it and lets it warm up awhile before starting out).

So lots of things can bring down city FE. Plus there's the variation in how people drive. Case in point is my DW and me. She drives carefully, but hasn't mastered how to get high FE out of a car (light foot, coasting as much as possible, turn off the engine if sitting a long time etc.). And she doesn't want me to tell her. ;) So on our 2007 Sonata, she does well to hit 20 mpg in the city... which for us is more suburban driving, not inner city. I have no problem getting mid-20s unless it's very cold weather.

It's an old saying "YMMV", but there's a lot of truth in it.

BTW... looks like I'll be trading in the 2007 Sonata on a 2013 GLS tomorrow, due to a too-good-to-pass-up deal at my local Hyundai dealer. So I'll be able to report on what the car can do in my real world of driving, and my DW's real world of driving. They will be different, that I know.
  • After reading a lot of posts here I count myself even luckier....I was getting in the 20's for combined fuel economy on my 2002 sonata 4 cyl. but I was also suffering for a long time with what turned out to be faulty ignition coil packs. After I replaced those and a new set of plugs I'm now getting around 40 mpg....and that is normal daily driving(ie Indy 500) which is combined....not strictly highway. But then again I'm running around with an Optima lower block in my sonata....maybe there is some difference after all. This will end up being the franken-car that I give to my kids to drive someday....much to the chagrin of my wife.
  • I agree with you 100%. I bought my 2013 Sonata Turbo 6 weeks ago, and immediately complained about the gas mileage (19-22 mpg in mostly highway driving). I was told by the dealer it would increase after getting my first oil change . . .?!?!? So much for the 28-34 mpg promised!
    Picked up my wife's new GLS on Friday, drove it about 100 miles so far (well, I have to help her break it in :) ) . It's been all in-town driving (suburban streets with a lot of stop lights, a little urban freeway), temps 10-32 F, no trip longer than 7 miles so a lot of driving while the engine was warming up. I do use a light foot on the gas, although I punched it a couple of times.

Per the mpg meter the average mpg to date is 24.7. I noticed the instantaneous meter was pinging between 30-50 while on the freeway jaunts.

So still very early, but encouraging given all the short trips, the cold weather, and the brand-new engine. Can't wait to take a long trip to check out the highway mpg.
  • petey931petey931 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I used to own early production 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The avg mpg was phenomenal. 26 town (in NYC traffic) and 35-36 highway. I have to say that I have a heavy foot and still I managed to get amazing MPG - i never used the annoying econ light on the dashboard. Right now I'm driving a 2013 Sonata - i only have 239 miles on it and the mpg I'm getting so far is awful! 18-19 in the city and 26-28 on the highway with the ECON on and veeeeery delicate use of the accelerator. I have no clue whats going on, the car drives amazingly other that a completely different feel of the steering wheel. I liked my old steering feel much better. 2013 doesn't give me ANY road feel at all. I'm worried about the mpg, maybe I should have gone with the Altima - I hope the mpg will go up when the car brakes in.
  • I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and have been pleased with the MPG. I do 25% city and 75% highway driving and normally average about 33 MPG. The MPG display in the car doesn't seem to be that accurate, I calculate it myself based on the range driven and amount of fuel used (the car normally tells me 31 MPG on average). I usually drive 75 MPH on the highway with AC on.
  • cpenycpeny Posts: 18
    I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I have approximately 25,000 miles on it. As an experiment I drove my car 25 percent in the city and 75 percent on the highway. I never let me RPM's get above 2000 RPM's. hi then calculated my mileage for the fuel that was used over the 300 mile trip. the average gas mileage was 26 miles per gallon
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited December 2012
    Very close to our 2012 GLS; 22-24 in city and highway only is 33 at max speed, and 36-37 at 65-70, where it is best. Your numbers indicate 24 city 36 highway for the average of 31-33 or 32. Math works and that is pretty close to EPA #'s. Exactly what we needed and for less than $20,000 a pretty good value to boot. So far, the dealer service is outstanding and only minor issue was the toe adjustment on front was out on left side only. After 8000 miles more (11000 total) all is well on that score. Good choice for us and no buyer's remorse here either.