Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG

Comments

• mathersonmatherson Posts: 35
    recently made a round trip from Boston to Toronto with 2 additional passengers, 2 hockey bags and luggage.
    Filled up in Buffalo and home both ways. Averaged over 35 MPG (my calculation, not car's reading which is always higher) both ways driving 75 with cruise control and A/C on most of the trip.

In general I get around 25-27 around town. (Not city, but not highway) and around 28 in a mix of driving on most tanks.

I got sick of lack of acceleration with ECO button on, so I turned it off a few months ago. But I do drive relatively easy most of the time.
  • cpenycpeny Posts: 18
    Hate to say I don't believe you, but I really, really don't. Thanks for playing.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    I just did a 192-mile round trip in my wife's 2013 GLS (2.4L), with about 500 lbs of people and luggage. Temps in upper 60s to mid-70s, A/C on for the outbound half, slight tail wind outbound, stiffer (20 mph?) headwind on return. Gently rolling terrain. Almost all freeway on cruise @ 72 mph, didn't have to disengage cruise much (had to a few times to get around some slowpokes.

Averaged 38.6 mpg by the computer. Even if it's off some, it did well vs. the 35 EPA rating. ECO was on, but not sure it makes much difference when cruising on the highway.

And for those who can't handle the truth... reminds me of Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men". ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    thanks for the report. You are one on Edmunds that I trust to give an honest report and though I'm not interested in buying a Hyundai Sonata I am generally interested in overall HyunKia news of most kinds, so thank you for that.

I always go by the mpg average meter on the dash of our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and feel that that's close enough for figuring up ghastly mileage for the car.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• dgollydgolly Posts: 6
    1 of 3 things. Some owners lying or keeping poor records. Or some people have Sonata getting 35 while others get 25. Neither is a happy tale for Hyundai. Mine gets very poor mpg.
    Or some people have Sonata getting 35 while others get 25.

Bingo!

Not sure why that is any "unhappier" for Hyundai than any other automaker, though. As the EPA likes to remind people, "... EPA ratings are a useful tool for comparing the fuel economies of different vehicles but may not accurately predict the average MPG you will get.".

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml
  • mathersonmatherson Posts: 35
    cpeny, i keep maticulous records, and service my car regularly. Just changed the engine air filter before the trip and had windows closed and cruise control on. i hit zero traffic and made minimal stops. it is what it is, numbers do not lie.
    sorry you cannot believe the truth.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    We have a 2012 GLS with just over 15,000 miles. Many posts on mileage by various drivers points to driver and conditions as much as the specific car model. We have few hills and get 22-25 in city. Highway is consistently 33-34 at 75 or more. Dropping speed to 65-70 results in significant increase to 36-38, with no stops or speed changes, two adults and normal luggage load.
    Point is the cars will get the EPA mileage, and better, depending on conditions, driver and mostly ; speed on highway. City mileage too variable to compare.
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    Our 2013 Sonata hybrid has gotten between 40 and 42 mpg on the first 3 fill ups.
  • iron2iron2 Posts: 3
    I totally agree. Someone is surely full of crap. Bought the 2013 GLS in Sept 2012. First fill-up for city driving was 24.2. Since then it's been between 20.1 and 22. A friend of mine has a 2013 GLS and is reporting about the same mpg for city driving. Normally I fill-up after about 270-300 miles. Just filled up after driving 113 miles just to see the results. Only 19.7 mpg. Called Hyundai to discuss the matter. Also, the ECO setting has no effect at all. They gave me a case # and told me to take it to my local Hyundai dealer and ask them to do a Fuel Economy Adjustment Rating Test. They didn't know what I was talking about. They told me the only way they could check MPG was to fill it up, drive the car and then fill it up again. Same thing I'm doing. Called Hyundai back to let them know. Said they didn't know what else to do. Going to take it in next week to have the car checked for any possible problems. Manufactures should perform a MPG test themselves. EPA is a joke.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Manufacturers do test themselves. EPA just does spot checks. If the numbers are off it is because Hyundai submitted them that way.
    I totally agree with you. This is normally how it works. Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory. Thanks for your reply
    The real world numbers are definitely off from the EPA estimates on my wife's 2013 2.4. On every highway drive I've done, I've achieved over 38 mpg. The last two, each 150 miles and with some non-highway driving, were 40.0 and 38.7 mpg. In town, I easily exceed the EPA number except in very cold weather and short trips.

But my wife has trouble hitting 20 mpg on the same car, in city driving with some urban freeway mixed in.

It's not the car (except in rare cases where there is a problem affecting FE). It's how and where and when the car is driven.
  • cpenycpeny Posts: 18
    When I here drifts like this all I can think of is where do people live where they can drive their car like ma and pa kettle. Almost impossible in most major metropolitans without causing road rage or an accident. But kudos to those that can, but seeing is believing in most cases. I drive pretty conservative and have yet to reach 25 city. Highway I can get 35 nog without using a/c and few hills in my path. So I will leave this with simply saying Wow.
    edited July 2013
    My wife drives like a granny... more conservatively than I do. Obviously there's more to it than that. I live in a metro area of 2.5 million. Major enough for you?

I am fortunate to live in the Midwest, where driving no more than 5 over on highways in the right lane won't cause road rage. Also I don't sit in stop and go traffic every day like a lot of drivers do.

My "wow" is that I can't figure out why more people don't understand what "YMMV" means wrt fuel economy and the EPA estimates.
  • kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    For the best mpg info check out Consumer Reports.
    Hyundai Sonata and Camry both came in @ 27 mpg in their road test.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    There is no sure fire way for any dealership to do a MPG fuel economy test. I work at a Ford dealership and I run into this problem alot with some of our customers. I can tell you the same thing that I tell them. Look at your vehicle's Maroney Label under those 2 big bold fuel economy numbers for the fine print that says "Expected range for most drivers" and if your vehicle is inside of that range it's getting the correct fuel economy. There are too many variables that contribute to fuel economy to say what's the cause and/or fix because people driving habits are different than what the EPA and manufactures do to determine what a vehicle's fuel econom should be. You can drive your car and get 19-20mpg than someone else drives it and gets 26-27mpg. I own a 2012 Genesis 3.8 and when my wife drives it, she gets about 25-26mpg, when I drive it I get 27-28mpg, and I'm not easy on it.
  • mwaugh1mwaugh1 Posts: 7
    Nice ...mine is giving 32 on the first tank after careful driving :-) ..although the terrain here in Los Angeles in not flat. Still a low number, dealer recommends waiting to see numbers on 2nd and 3rd tank post break in period :(
    Was told by my Dealer/Service Manager that that there is a 15K mile engine break in period before true MPG can be calculated. This is a new one on me. Purchased my 2013 Sonata Sept 2012. First 2 fill-ups were 24.2 mpg. Since then I've averaged between 19 & 21 mpg. Only 6k miles on the car at this time. At this rate it will take me between 2-3 years to average the 24 mpg for city driving as advertised. Has anyone ever heard of this break-in period ?
    I've owned or leased five Hyundais or Kias (shared powertrains) and I have found that FE has improved significantly as the engine gets some miles. I've seen improvement in the first 1500-2000 miles but it tends to get better beyond that, so there seems to be truth to what the dealer is telling you.

My wife's 2013 Sonata GLS, leased nearly a year ago, has almost 7000 miles on it now and it easily meets or beats its EPA FE numbers... when I drive it. My wife doesn't know how to drive for optimum FE (and yes, I've tried teaching her) so she usually gets below the EPA numbers. Which proves again "YMMV", even with the same car but different drivers.

Keep in mind however that YOU may never get the 24 mpg EPA number. It all depends on what "city driving" is for YOU and how it compares to how the EPA tests cars. No one individual is guaranteed to hit the EPA numbers. It's a means of comparing FE between cars. I don't do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, e.g. in downtowns, and rarely need to drive in stop-and-go rush hour traffic, so I know that's one reason I have no trouble beating the EPA numbers on any car I've owned or leased.