Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• jmkrobotjmkrobot Member Posts: 6
    Skytop,

Okay, so, what your saying is that people who are used to driving "Gasoline" powered HD trucks getting 10- 13 MPG regardless if towing, hwy, or city driving... Should not look to the "Deisel" as a solution for better performance and mileage?

How often does the Oil & Fuel Filters need to be changed and what is the typical cost?

What other additional maintainance fees can I expect compared to Gasoline engines?
  • skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    You can get diesel opinions all over the net. You cannot look at diesel in a truck as you do in a passenger car. In a passenger vehicle, it is all about mpg. In a truck, the mpg is not the main issue, it is hauling ability. It's that 550 to 600 foot pounds of torque that is the goal to have harnessed for WORK. Also, diesels deliver this massive power from idle up. A gas engine needs high RPM to achieve power. With such power, higher gear ratios can be used, thereby improving power, efficiency, and fuel economy. Additionally, diesels generate peak power at lower rpm (1800-2300 for diesel vs. 4000+ rpm for gas engines), they have a much longer service life. Again, high annual driving miles is the reason to own a diesel.
    The mpg of a diesel will vary with what you are hauling around. Unloaded, most folks (if sincere) will tell you they get 14 to 18 miles a gallon. They typically get about 25% better mpg. Higer operating efficiency and diesel fuel being more energy dense yields this advantage. My friend tows his 30' trailer and gets about 10 mpg on the road. But he can easily cruise at 75mpg and maintain that speed up mountain passes. That,my friend, is what you are paying for.
    The fuel mileage difference with gas is not astounding but as I stated, if you drive enough miles, the difference becomes meaningful. Diesels need roughly twice the amount of oil as gas engines since they run 'dirty' and are sensitive to fuel contamination. They need real attention to oil and filter maintainence. Prudent use of additives are an additional expense. Don't forget to add in the noise, smell and reduced throttle response of the diesel. Recently released low sulfur diesel fuel will ameliorate smoke, sulfur and particulate production in diesels. Thus, operation won't be nearly so sooty and smelly if you use this finer grade fuel. This is a plus.
    A diesel is a working man's tool and not not a casual toy unless you have deep pockets or are making a statement. Do your own due diligence.
  • jmkrobotjmkrobot Member Posts: 6
    Fair enough.

Thanks for your input.
  • rufous03rufous03 Member Posts: 3
    I just took delivery of my new style 2007 Sierra 1500. Overall, I really like it, two things that really frost me however is the fact that some engineer has redesigned the headlights so that one needs tools to replace the bulbs. Models from 2002 to 2006 all one had to do was remove two pins and the assemblies came out very easy. Dummies!
    The second is that even if you put a high quality tonneau cover on the box, there is no way you will be able to keep your cargo dry. At the front of the box there are two large areas where you can see daylight, the tailgate is even worse. I can put three of my fingers in the space in the lower corners, and I can see a 1/2 space all around the tailgate. As far as I can tell, there are no gaskets available that will correct the problem. GM's response was less than favorable. Anyone have a solution to that one? :mad:
    There is a GM kit as well as an aftermarket kit that will seal up your cargo box. This is a common situation with Ford and Dodge as well. I believe I saw it on some camping site that sells tent conversions for cargo boxes. As for the lights, thank technology.
    I have some minor problems. My bug shield shattered when my shirt cuff caught on the pointy edge, the plastic covers on the seat belt adjusters broke off when I touched them adjusting the belt height. Wish they put a hand grab on the driver's side 'A' pillar like every other car maker. The GM seat covers I purchased have a terrible rubbery material surface which is tacky to touch, hot, and won't stay put on the seat. I am returning the set. I wish there were more hook attachment points low in the cargo box to secure short items like 5 gallon paint buckets. Specs say engine has lots of power but I think it is too cammy and does not offer useful midrange grunt. Nope, not perfect, but better than before.
    GM engineering just called me asking me detailed questions as to what problems I had or what I want changed. Good to see them seriously persuing quality and better engineering/design. You will be getting a call from them, too.
    If there is a GM kit, not even the GM help line knows about it. I was considering looking at the aftermarket products, but after checking the tailgate area, I see no way any gasket I have seen would work. If you put two gaskets, one on the tailgate and one on the box, they might touch each other. I haven't had it out on the highway or into the mountains yet, so I can't comment on the power. It seems OK in the city. The other thing they changed on the '07 new style is the 40-20-40 front seat design. They no longer have the large storage area under the front seat, it's about 1/2 the size of the older body style.
    You can look at the following:
    1. Extang 1140 MaxSeal Tailgate Seal (a rubber moulding and not foam).
    2. TrailSeal Tailgate Gasket Seal Kit (a tubular approach)
    3. Retrax tailgate gasket (very popular and effective)

As for the seats, the new rear design is a break through. Really! (I have buckets in the front so I cannot speak for your 40-20-40 and my seats have no bottom storage either). The rear is split about 70-30 but the big news is the fact that there are NO OBSTRUCTIONS under the seat. You can put tons of stuff under them OR....I fold the 70% seat bottom up and use the large floor area to store my stuff in two large Rubbermaid containers.
    One other neat thing, this is the first truck I have that has a power rear cab window. When I don't use A/C, opening my driver's window and then the rear window allows for the most wonderful flow through ventilation imaginable. It is far, far more effective than opening the rear door windows. No low frequency pounding your ears as with my earlier trucks, just cool pleasant airflow. Everyone should order the power rear window.
    BTW, my 6.2L fuel mileage (with A/C on) in city stop and go is 14.6, my town and country is about 16.8 and my highway is 19. After break in and my first oil change to synthetic, I hope to see some incremental better mileage. Premium is around $3.35 so I don't let the tank get below 2/3 so I only have $30 fill ups. Just psychological, but it mutes the gas expense pain! :cry::blush:
    Thanks for the links. I too have bucket seats as the 40-20-40 I like from the older version was not an option. Power rear cab window I would have ordered, but again, this did not appear as an option at the dealer, I'll have to ask why it wasn't because I did mention to them that I liked that feature after seeing it on a Toyota truck. I have the new 5.3 flex fuel. The 2004 I just sold had the Duramax which I really liked, but for 2007 they priced it out of my budget. The gaskets for the new style box may not work. Totally different arrangement compared to the old style box. The dealer is going to check the Chev Avalanch to see what they use on it.
  • peaeyepeaeye Member Posts: 4
    Anyone had any experience with leveling the front end of a 2004 Silverado Z71?
    My torsion bars are maxed out. The torsion keys seem like an easy way to go but I hear they can cause front end problems.
    Peaeye:
    You're posting in the wrong section. Go to the parent and look for your truck thread.
  • tsullytsully Member Posts: 30
    I have found that the navigation screen is to bright at night.
    I know there are 3 available adjustments, auto, day, and night. There are settings to adjust the day and night brightness. Still after adjusting those settings I have found that I have to actually switch from day to night to get the desired brightness of the screen. The auto setting is to bright at night and I can't find a way to adjust that setting.
    It does become frustrating when I have to adjust the screen setting from day to night when it is dark out and then from night to day when it is light out. Any suggestions?
    Tape some kraft wrapping paper over it or wear dark sunglasses...your choice. My screen darkens plenty using the manual adjustments setting and the black night time theme sufficiently compensates for any brightness . Better check with your dealer. Perhaps there are undocumented adjustments available.
  • dutchbros154dutchbros154 Member Posts: 5
    I have a suggestion for you. I leave mine on night display all the time and adjust the brightness down. During the day it still has more than enough light. I cant stand it being too bright at night either.
  • jsorensenjsorensen Member Posts: 7
    Just an update on my truck. It was one of the last '07 trucks built I believe. GM almost wouldn't take the order but the salesman worked it through. The truck was built last week and shipped this week. I was able to get a VIN number by June 4, the last day of the Memorial Day sale. I get $1000 bonus cash, $1000 certificate from dealer, and $1250 cash or 0% interest for 3 years. I'm taking the 0% and investing the cash in monthly CD's, thus giving me interest (less 30% taxes), making it more profitable than taking the $1250. Truck should be here in 10 days I hope! ;)">
    I am surprised that no review article has found this problem. My '07 Sierra suffers from a seriously major blind spot caused by the 'A' windshield pillar bulkiness combined with the 'triangle' solid plastic window filler adjacent to the side view mirrors. All this thick mass thoroughly blocks the driver's view of an entire car approaching from the right and is almost as bad on the driver's side.

How the hell do automotive designers and testers let something this major get by them? Are they totally blind or do they just not care??? This flaw is going to cost some people their health or even their lives in resulting collisions. I have now taught myself to crane my head from one shoulder to the other in an attempt to see around the A pillars when at an intersection. I fear what will happen while entering an intersection at speed and a car or motorcycle is hidden from my view by the pillars. This really is a terrible design flaw. Maybe other brands are guilty of this as well, but my GM truly stinks on this point.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    skytop

I had never noticed that before so I went out and sat in my Silverado. No problemo my friend. The only way it would be a problem is if I was maybe a foot shorter than I am (6'3"). Are you relatively short? I don't mean that in a disparaging way. I just don't see a problem. Or maybe the Sierra and the Silverado have a significant design difference???? The mirrors themselves are large, but what truck mirrors aren't large? They're supposed to be big for better visibility, esp. for towing & etc.

1offroader
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    A pillar, you should see the one on the Titan. Measures over 12" at the base.
    Height of driver is irrelevant. The pillar is virtually uniform in bulkiness from top to bottom. Add the triangle filler panel and it blocks the view severly.

Imagine the size of an approaching car from the right side when it is about 100 feet away. Pretty small, huh! The thick pillar conceals it all so you don't see two tons of steel barreling down on you. I know, it almost got me into an accident because I could not see the oncoming vehicle. Now I try my best to look around it....like I need to have an "Omen" rotating head.
    more like "Exorcist"
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    I tried to evaluate your complaint in my Silverado and I just don't see your issue. Forward view and rear view mirror all are more than adequate for me. I'd use the term "Major" for things like exploding gas tanks.
    Generally, you can find an issue with anything you evaluate and we all have opinions, this is mine.

Schlog
    Right you are!~ Da devil made me do it!
    I would believe that the A pillar in the Silverado is the same as in the Sierra Denali. Respectfully, I still stand by my statement. The design is a stinker and dangerous. This danger is reinforced everytime I drive my truck.
    The pillar is uniform top to bottom, correct. But I look OVER the black plastic triangle that the mirror is attached to. If I was a foot shorter, a very tiny car or maybe a motorcyclist could hide from my view if it was quite a distance away, but not otherwise. That's why I asked that question.

100 feet - that's 30 yards, or 30 normal paces. Try it. Park a car 30 steps away from your truck and see if it can "hide". No way.

I drove my truck to work today, 40 mile round trip. Freeway, surface streets, etc. There is NO FRIGGIN WAY that a car, even a compact, can hide behind the A-pillar and mirror/triangle unless it's too far away to be a threat. Man, I just have no idea what you're talking about.

1offroader
  • john1972john1972 Member Posts: 1
    I want to lift my '07 Silverado and was looking at the Rancho 4" lift. Some of the local shops say that there are problems lifting the Silverado that is equipped with the Stabilitrac system. Has any one heard of this or has anyone installed a lift on their truck and are you experiencing any problems?
    Makes sense to me. There may be a sensor that can tell when the center of gravity is shifted and the stabilitrack engages.

I believe the crew cab comes standard with the stabilitrack. It's an option on the others as I recall.

Look into it before you do the lift. There may also be a way to disengage it permanently, but you'll lose an important safety feature. I disengage mine when offroad using the switch on the dash, but re-engage when I hit the pavement.

1offroader
  • tsullytsully Member Posts: 30
    Well I know it can be done. I drive by a dealership everyday on my way to work and they have two silverados sitting out for everyone to see. You can't miss them. Both of those trucks look like they have at least a 4 inch lift on them. These trucks are brand new. I don't know if the dealership did this aftermarket mod or not. I suspect they did. Anyway I don't think a dealership would sell a lifted truck without the design being good enough. Troy
  • inthebizinthebiz Member Posts: 5
    My 07 Sierra did not come with the key locking tailgate. Does anyone know if the latch can be swapped with a key lock latch??

Also does anyone know the GM Part #s for the cargo rails and cargo divider?? I would like to try to purchase online and cant find the part numbers.
    Try this:
    POWERGATE ELECTRIC TAILGATE LOCK -- Internal Power Tailgate Lock, Wires Directly Into Your Electric Door Locks, Locks Your Tailgate Every Time You Lock Your Doors
    Electric: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/bizshop/ymmp/gmc/sierra/tailgate_lock/1999/2007.html?apwcid=L1092232221W411a241dbe70a&apwkwd=Pop+&+Lock+Tailgate+Lock+GMC+Sierra+1999-2004+2005+2006+2007
    Manual:
    http://www.pickupspecialties.com/poplock.htm
    Its actually called the "Pickup Cargo Management System"
    I have it and it's very convenient and very well machined out of aluminum. There are many useful accessories made to mount using this track system or just use it as a moveable tie down system with the 4 cars that come with it.
    Photo: http://seriouswheels.com/2007/2007-GMC-Sierra-Accessorized-Cargo-Management-System-1920x1440.htm

Part number: http://www.vehattire.com/announcements/newsletter/vehattire-september-2006.pdf
    Part Number for Bed Divider: 19155947

GMT900 (Sierra) Pickup Cargo Management System. 2007 Silverado/Sierra. There is a new, innovative cargo ..... part number. 12498396
  • flysprayflyspray Member Posts: 15
    I asked about every configuration for the 07 nbs silverado 1500 from the dealer. None included power lockable tailgate. This includes the security option for the bed.

I called the autopartswarehouse.com. They told me that this part would fit the 07 silv new body style.

I called the manufacturer of this part. They told me that the part did not fit the 07 silv new body style. They are working on new part that will work. ETA 6-8 weeks.

If you have a Tonneau with power locks then a lockable tailgate is not a necessity. The Tonneau lips over the tailgate so they would have to break the cover before they could get into the bed.

Im more interested in wheel inserts.

gregC
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter would like to talk to recent buyers of the Toyota Tundra or Chevrolet Silverado. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than June 20, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kokid278kokid278 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2007 Crew Cab/5.3 ltr/3.73 axle. Love it!!But dealer says that I can't get a (factory)brake controller for it. Only available in the HD model. Anybody know if they are working on this? We need this capability in the 1500 non-HD model. I know the truck is designed to handle up to 7600 lbs, but when you are towing a 2500 lb camper with electric brakes, you need to be able to control them. Just wondering why they didn't automatically put this in or make available as an option?
    O.K. Someone else posted this same problem. Now I will chime in with full agreement. The GM instument cluster is a failure. Apparently, the GM engineers never seemed to figure out that a chrome gauge face with dull lifeless dark red colored indicator needle all located in a shaded binnacle is nearly impossible to read. Super low contrast, nothing but confusing chrome reflections, lack of GM care or design intelligence makes for a truly challenging driving experience. Is this the first dashboard GM designed? Are they using rookies and amateur designers straight out of high school with no experience or insight?? What is their problem?????!! Look at a little Hyundai, or even a VW, Nissan, Toyota or BMW. They all have legible guage faces! But my GM built truck has a dark dingy gauge cluster. Can't they see how to design gauges after 100 years of existence?
    Even in noon sun, it is very difficult to read the gauges as everything is recessed in shadowy dullness. Turning on the front lights assists only marginally as the indicators brighten marginally. The chrome gauge background is a total hinderence to legibility and the indicators are most difficult to make out. This really stinks. Why must a driver struggle to view the instruments while driving? Unsafe!!! Does GM now think it's the 1950's king of chrome? Chrome belongs elsewhere and not on instrument faces. This is yet another major fault added to the list of problems with the 'new' designed GM GMC trucks.
  • lionclawzlionclawz Member Posts: 12
    Skytop

Can't say I see your issue. I have a 2007 1500 Xcab LTZ

I happen to like the instrument cluster - day or night I have no issue with clarity or distinction of reading any or all of the indicators.

Overall your review is totally denigrading - makes me question whether or ot your beef is just another slant against GM that we commonly see from people assigned to fill these forums with negative GM rant!
    My vehicle is the Denali interior. What I state is accurate and a fact. I have discussed it with my dealer, they agree that there is a problem but can do nothing about it.

The Denali cluster design is a major flaw in the vehicle design since the driver is always using the instrument cluster while driving.

I am not ranting. I am posting a legitimate GM screw up. I have other major headaches with this vehicle. This is just one of them. When I purchased this vehicle, I spent mucho dollars and had great hopes of a superior designed and built vehicle. Unfortunately, the reality of the truck is not what was promised by GMC and I am seriously beginning to consider whether I have made a mistake in my purchase of a GM designed vehicle.
  • hotel1hotel1 Member Posts: 50
    GEE.............My only beef with my 07 GMT-900s panel is
    that the top of the steering wheel blocks my view of the
    upper part of the speedo when fully tilted down where I
    like it.
    And yes the guages are sort of hard to read compared to my
    01 and 04s setup. But I can live with it..............
    Nice truck no matter what....NO regrets here !
    The factory remote start and trailer brake controller are
    da bomb!!!!!!!!!
    07 Chevy 2500 GMT-900 x-cab 4x4 :shades:

The new blundras instrument panel is similar to the new GMs
    panel and those folks just love the look !
    LOL!! New name? Ooops....
    The Escalade and Denali gauges used to be interchangable. Not positive if they still are but that is an option you might want to check into.
    But yet again swapping the gauge clusters on a newer
    truck under warranty leads you down another path.....
    TMU......True mileage unknown !

If the dealer finds out about this most won't touch your
    truck as a trade in with a 10 ft. pole !!!!
    Many posts from the salesguys over in the smart shopper
    threads on this issue !
    joel0622, "Mileage Fraud!! Odometer was rolled back!!! What 2 do?" #92, 9 Apr 2007 5:48 am
    Most dealers that sell the gauge clusters have two ways of handling this.

1-They will reprogram the new unit to match the mileage of the old

2-They will place a placard on the doorsill and log your current mileage in their database

Doing either will not affect your warranty. How do I know this?

I've done it in the past.
    Heres one of many posts on that subject:
    92 of 113 Re: My Odometer was reset during service...options? [Mr_Shiftright] by joel0622 Apr 09, 2007 (5:48 am)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Replying to: Mr_Shiftright (Apr 08, 2007 11:13 am)

Humf...I'm not getting this obviously. How can a car be TMU when you know the true mileage and it's on record?

Shifty, the reason being is that when an odometer statement is signed it reads "I______________________state that the odometer now reads" Meaning you are signing of on what the odometer says, not what the odometer says+the door sticker. And if the odometer is not the mileage then the box reading "I hearby certify that the odometer reading is NOT the actual mileage. WARNING-ODOMETER DISCREPANCY" must be checked. Which regardless of the documentation you have will scare future buyers

You should read the entire thread.............
    Another post on the subject:
    93 of 113 TMU by audia8q Apr 09, 2007 (8:39 am)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Despite what the documentation says the car is now TMU...From a dealers standpoint a TMU car is like having a contagious rash...Its hard enough for us to sell a perfect car, forget one with an "odometer issue"...there arent many folks who will give the dealer the benefit of the doubt....unless there is a huge price savings over a car without any stories.
    Thre reprogramming of the mileage creates no doubt.

The practice of using a label is not a solution that I made up rather it is a practice used by a GM dealer on a regular basis.

Resale? if you use method 1 there is no issue. If you use method 2 it is acceptable to GM and their extended warranty program as I've seen it being done.

I preferred method 1 as I had my Escalade cluster reprogrammed to match the cluster being replaced. When selling the truck I told the dealer buying it that I had the cluster programmed and gave him the certificate from the company that had done the programming. What did the dealer say? That it was a much nicer cluster than the stock Silverado and even has a functioning trans temp gauge.

From a dealer's standpoint....
  • summerwind4summerwind4 Member Posts: 20
    glad to see that "obyone" is still here. (oby, it's "red").
    went to test drive a 1500 ext cab last night.........wow, it's definately a refined truck vs. my '00 ext cab long bed which now has 250K miles.
    dealer almost had me out the door with it, but i'm not sure about the price.
    it's Black, 5.3, towing, yada yada yada...cloth interior with 40/20/40, 6 disc changer.
    price was 26,500 before rebate...........too much?

-mike
    250K miles unreal.

$26K sounds like a good price but the truck can be optioned soooo many different ways it all depends on how its optioned.

Check it out

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chevrolet/silverado1500/index.html

I'd use that as a gauge pick the style then options and enter your zip. Just looking at the options made my head spin...lol.

You trading the '00? Would be curious to see what they offer.
    trade-in you say?......BWAHAHAHAHAHA...how's 4-5K sound? ol Red has had Mobil 1 from day one though so that may have been a contributor to it's health.

actually, this truck (it's Black this time)is gonna be a personal ride this time round.
    the Red '00 is still gonna pull work detail.
    hey the guys at the dealership got wind of my shoppin' round this AM as the quote alert i put out hits them and 3 other dealers. got a phone call and the fun began down to 25,500 and they included a bumper to bumper 5/100K warranty on top of the 5/100K powertrain warr.
    all in all i'm happy with this truck.......
    HD towing,locking diff, 3.73 rear, 5.3 w/ active fuel mang., high performance suspension, 20" alloys, DIC gadget, Satellite stereo has been a hit with the wife and me as well.
    powerband feels different, but more controlled than previous truck.
    how the heck you been?

pic of the truck
    http://www.pbase.com/summerwind4/image/81437166/large
    got any recommendations for running boards?
    Nice truck!! then again I was always partial to black. $25.5K? Looks like a deal.

How's the ride with the 20's? I remember when I changed and put some 20s on the Denali. Ride wasn't much of a change UNTIL I did a 1/3 drop. Thing looks ghetto....lol and rides like it.

I remember Tim swore by those polished stainless boards that he had just can't remember the name.

Was at the Chevy dealer the other day and saw some of them with the factory boards that looked pretty good.

If you consider nerf bars can't beat Westin.

So I assume you bought the truck?
    the ride is great. the truck is completely quiet.
    i took the time to drive the thing for about 60 miles, unlike my impulse buys in the past.
    then signed the line.
    nerf bars should be good enough.........i'll just put one on the wife's side...LOL
    the stereo is not half bad at all.........since it has the CD changer,and XM Satellite, i may be content for quite some time. you remember what started the system in the red truck eh?
    all because some great guy in Hawaii sent me a changer....LOL
    I had the factory running boards installed. They are attractive and flex free. There are no lights. They cost a bit but function very well. They install quite easily with existing frame mount holes.
This discussion has been closed.