Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• skytop1skytop1 Posts: 106
    Thanks very much for the link to JP. Nice looking clusters, for sure.
    The stock Denali cluster has the computer screen and interface switched from the dash. The clusters shown on their website are all the old 'classic'clusters. These are new '07's at http://wwww.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=975

I emailed them to see if they take the stock cluster and just change the instrument faces while leaving all else the same thus maintaining total compatibility. The only Denali cluster they show is identical to the stock one. If you look at the Denali cluster on the website, you can easily see how drab, how hindering the chrome is, how lacking in needed contrast and difficult to read it is compared to the other high contrast Chevy cluster gauges.
  • hotel1hotel1 Posts: 50
    If your stumped by GMs decision to discontinue the
    plug n play trailer brake controller on the GMT-900s
    and having to hook up the mystery wiring under the
    hood to power the controller and hitch wiring up...

Check out this link w/pics:
    http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64063&hl=brake+controller

Heres a link and pic to the underhood mystery wiring
    and where to connect it and where to put the fuse !
    http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,67334.20.html

............. :shades:
    This site,
    http://www.mycarstats.com/
    or:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
    or:
    https://www.infotraxx.com/

begins to provide availability of TSB info as well as a method to file complaint reports of defects to the office of defects investigation at NHTS.com
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If you have a problem, review this site (free registration)and see what is on record or create a new file. This is a very good resource to educate and disseminate information on vehicle defects. It also helps the consumer deal with the service manager/dealer bull crap, ignorance and resistance you will undoubtedly encounter. Confront your dealer well prepared with the facts.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Just took delivery of a 2007 Silverado extended cab new body style Z71. Wow, what an improvement over the 2006 and earlier models. I have been told the tonneau cover, bed liner and Westin running boards from the older body styles won't fit the new body style... yes or no?
    True. You need the new style components. Dimensions and mounting points are all new for the new body style '07s.
    Thanks I appreciate the fast reply. I really liked my 99-06 Silverados, but wow, I guess just the updated looks inside and outside really make the new style 07 stand out. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride is much better with the 07 also. I got the 18 inch wheels and tires on this one. Again thanks for the quick reply. :D
  • usafuserusafuser Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Titan Crew 4x4 LE, but test drove one of the new 2007 crewcab silverados back in February at the Ocean Beach Auto Show...man, what an improvement by GM. Styling was outstanding and ride was VERY smooth. I owned a 1993 K1500 for nearly 10 years and absolutely loved it, but at 120K it started to show its age.

Has anyone looked at leasing options on the new Silverados?

Thanks, RDR
  • what's your opinion on Pennzoil Platinum?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Plus Arnold Palmer recommends Pennzoil and it meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)

Only reason I stick to Mobil 1 is cause Costco carries it in 6 packs. Unfortunate for me, the 5.6 uses 6.5 quarts on changes.
    Does anyone know how the tonneau cover companies are addressing the difference in height of the tailgate plastic piece and the sides of the beds on the 2007 new body style pickups? In other words the plastic piece and the height of the tail gate as far as clearance to open and close the tail gate? :confuse: thanks
  • Hi,
    I'm looking into buying a 2007 Silverado Max 6.0 liter, but I read an article on Edmunds describing a dyno test where the Silverado performed poorly. Mentioned something about being calibrated by the manufacturer and "closed loop" EFI timing.
    Basically, the Silverado won't kick into it's mean HP until you floor the gas for 4 seconds.
    Worse, a Silverado gets worse gas mileage and will get smoked off the line by a new Tundra or Titan. Terrible! The Silverado Max is a full second slower than the Tundra from 0-60 mph.
    Does anyone know if there is a chip or some sort of way to max out the HP without this 4 second rule?
    I'm a rookie at this posting thing, so please take it easy on me. Thanks.
  • bkerchakbkerchak Posts: 9
    I just purchased an 07 ext-cab new body style and several of the accessory dealers that I have visited here in SE Pennsylvania don't have tonneau covers for my truck....so I guess the cover companies are still work on the height difference !
  • 1offroader1offroader Posts: 208
    The plastic tailgate protector is removed, and repaced with a flatter one that doesn't stick way out past the tailgate. I also bought the plastic caps that cover the top of the bed sides. The side caps and the new tailgate cover are attached using double-back sticky tape. These caps prevent the tonneau seals from rubbing thru the paint.

I bought the SnugTop SL hard tonneau for my 07 Silverado Crew Cab (short bed) and like it very much. The color match is perfect and it fits nicely, too.

1offroader
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    There was a lively debate over this issue in our 2007 Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra: First Impressions and Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado discussions when that test came out.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

C-Man...........You have to ignore anything posted at edmunds about a non import !!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes too much biased opnion.

What your prob. reading is the "digs" about GMs "torque
    management" programming. The uneducated call it different
    things. GM uses this on the 6.0 and 8.1 to improve driveline
    life (or so I read).
    Check this link for full TM info:
    http://fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123667

Yes the toyoyo 5.7 is faster in the 1/4 mile than
    the reg. 6.0 in their testing. The 6.0 max was not compared against the 5.7 !!!!!!!!
    Check out the gas vs. diesel tests over at http://www.pickuptruck.com
    The 6.0 gasser outran and out pulled the diesels in most tests !

The 07 GMT-900 6.0 6 speed auto is one awesome motor/ trans. setup compared to my 04 6.0.............
    GUYS.....There ARE certain brand truck cap that DO fit
    over the "whaletail" gate cap. Gotta search for them
    and they are $pendy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been thru this on my buds "whaletail" equipped truck.

Easy solution: Remove whaletail and replace with a GM
    gate cap for a 2500 model! Cost $36 bucks !
    NOTE: Aftermarket auto store gate top covers may not work!

Why? The GM 2500 caps are longer on the bottom and cover the bolt holes in the gate. Most aftermarket covers don't!
    Also note that ALL GMT-800 GM tailgates have the holes from the factory and the gate cap covers them so you never see them.

Another note...if you pull the cap off your new GMT-900
    you will notice the top of your tailgate is like swiss cheese on the top of both sides!!!!!!!!!!! YEOW!
    Don't know why....So just be warned! :blush:
    The holes are probably for weight reduction just like race cars :D and to go along with the easy lift tailgate which really works by the way. I have ordered some Westin bars and an Extang Sabre tonneau cover for this truck so I will see how they work out, I don't plan on removing the whale tail, so I may have to put another layer of foam under the side rails of the tonneau, which is what the local dealer stated to do anyway. I got the bedliner today and since the dealer couldn't install it til Friday or Saturday, I brought it and the underliner home and put them in myself (no one home to help me). It took all of a half an hour and that included putting about ten pieces of foam tape in places I figured would rub that the underliner didn't cover. I ordered a Penda liner but I think the name of the one that came in was Trail X (may be made by Penda?) but it seems okay and fit fine. Thanks for all the responses, these sites are a wonderful source of info. :shades:
  • Thanks! So it looks like Chevy is still going with its Torque management program on the '07 VMax? They use it to save wear on the tranny and to improve emissions, correct?
    Too bad it sacrifices so much acceleration. I need most of my power while accelerating with a load.

Basically, I go dirt biking in the sand dunes in SoCal. I park my truck and trailer in the sand and I need the power to tow in/out of the sand without getting stuck. Is it possible that the TM will hurt me in this situation b/c I wont be flooring it for 4 seconds? I really need the power right away before my tires sink into the sand. Please dont tell me that a Tundra would do a better job for me in this situation....It would be so disappointing. I really prefer the looks and feel of the Chevy after driving both trucks.

Also, do you know if there is a PCMforless or a programmer for the new Chevy trucks? Is there a way to remove the TM without making the shifting stiffer? Essentially, can you remove TM without affecting the feel of the tranny or anything else?

Thanks again.
  • 1offroader1offroader Posts: 208
    I believe the ARE brand hard tonneau fits over the stock whaletail gate cap. I didn't care for the look, though, but you might. It is not flat across the top, but has a noticeable "bubble", or ridge, across the top. The SnugTop is flat and looks more streamlined.

I have an aftermarket flat gate cap, it was part of the kit with the bed side cap covers. It IS long enough to completely cover the bolt holes, and fits about flush with the back edge of the tonneau. As I recall the entire cap kit was about $75.

1offroader
  • fhainesfhaines Posts: 7
    I will take delivery on my 2008 Silverado 1500 Crew LTZ in about three weeks (can't wait!). The dealer I am working with in CT tells me there is a 4-piece tonneau cover, that slides into a track, of similar design to the Avalanche 3-piece unit that works with the Cargo Management System and the 5-8 short bed. Apparently it is a GM accessory. Has anyone seen one? Does it even exist? At present no one in Parts Dept can show me a picture. There is no mention of it on the GM Accessory Zone Website. Any comments would be helpful.

Also, I have been reading the comments on the GM900's in this forum for the past two months, and it was very helpful in my final selection. Thanks in advance for any help one could offer.
This discussion has been closed.