Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

1293031323335»

Comments

• the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,069
    I hate to give Ford props, but there are a couple of things I have noticed about the current F-150 that I would like to see in the Chevy. One is the power rear windows of the extended cab. I noticed this in a ex-cab F-150 the other day and I thought the window was broken out. Until the lady rolled it up and I thought "COOL"... Another is mentioned above and it is the size of the regual cab F-150. I also think that GM should incorporate that as well as the extra space behind the seat would be especially useful. It would give those that don't actually need and extended cab, but still want some cab space more reason to buy a regualr cab.
    Actually I like the GM better than the Silverado. Again the GM looks better. I have always like the GMC front ends (with the exception of the 98-04 S-10/Blazer compared to the same years of Sonoma/Jimmy) better. This dates clear back to the 80's which the style dares to duplicate. Although I do like it. From first glance however, the headlights look exactly like those of the Chevy. The differences being the grill and the fenders. It's hard to tell since the photo is not the clearest and at an angle, but I would be willing to bet, to save money, these two trucks are more badge engineered than the previous generation. Although they have always been pretty much the same truck, at least the previous generations have had whole grill changes. It would be interesting to see GM actually build two completly different trucks. They could be based off the same platform, but the bodies themselves would be completely different. From grilles, to fenders to even doors and roof lines and bed and tailight designs. Similar to what Ford (man I hate giving Ford props :D)has done to distinguish it's F-150 and Super Duty line. In that regard I wonder what the Heavy Duty versions will look like? Are they to be distinguished differently with a different look? At least GM has taken a step and distinguished the Truck from the SUV - even giving the truck line a whole different interior.
    Just looked at the pics posted here... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=116348#3. I like the new look more and more... But one question. Is that a Tahoe interior (the first interior pic), or is an uplevel Silverado to have the same interior as the Tahoe?

One pic shows an interior that I swear is the same pic as the Tahoe interior. The other is a very different interior. Hence my question; is an uplevel Silverado to have the same interior as the Tahoe?
    Okay - so I just read the full description of the Silverado and answered my own question. It appears that the trucks will offer two distinct interiors... The "Uplevel" Tahoe interior for LTZ and Denalli and the other for base and mid-level... but the mid-level interior is still supposed to be really "uplevel" still.
    I think that I would almost prefer the base/midlevel interior. It appears more driver centric - the radio and A/C controls and dash are centered more towards the driver. Plus the big door handles just speak "truck" to me. I prefer that. The smaller handles in the up level interior and the more centered radio and climate controls look great and the overall layout works well, but I prefer the other design. It just seems more ergonomic to me.
    Just checked out Chevy's and GMC's websites. It looks like you can now configure an 07 truck... They look pretty fancy. When is Inside Line going to get thier hands on one for a full test??? :) :D

I am pretty interested in how well it performs.
    I actually saw a couple test mules in AZ while I was there for Christmas. Ex-Cab models of both the Sierra and the Silverado.

Pretty imposing beasts. The grill on the GMC was like a huge gaping mouth ready to swallow you whole. Not that they were bad mind you... just big and imposing, a looking ready to do what they need to do. Tow and haul.
    I thought it was a cost effective thing... GM cost-cutting at it's best. I don't think most people will or would have noticed a difference in drum or disc at the rear.
    I think it'll do ya well... I am really looking forward to what GM does with the redesign. I am not overly fond of the current front end with the chiseled headlights (I think the Sierra's are a little better), and would actually prefere the design that is still used on the current Suburban Tahoe (not the 07 Tahoe). But in any case, if the 07 Tahoe is any indication, I think that the new truck will be heads and tails above the current one. I like the front end design of the Tahoe, the Yukon not so much; hopefully the truck has a little bit different look to it. I am also not too fond of the front bumper. I think plastic bumpers are a joke. Hopefully there is some chrome or at least a true metal bumper in store for the truck. But in any case - overall I think that GM is doing things right again... They did the trucks right last time around save for the interiors, but even while not a "luxurious" as a competitor, the interiors they were at least ergonomic and more functional than most of the trucks on the market at the time.

So I am excited about the new trucks... Hopefully I will be able to get one. A Colorado looks to be more in my range, but who knows... maybe a Silverado is in my sights?
This discussion has been closed.