Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The interiors are vastly better than the current one.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Saw some photos that had leather and satnav with the base/mid-level interior. I think a truck that is loaded enough to have those features ought to have the nicer trim (from the Tahoe)...
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240

Looks awesome. Front end and front fenders are giving me hope

movie here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBOYLcjCvpw&mode=related&search=
  • metalphoenix79metalphoenix79 Member Posts: 28
    This guy posted this in the front page news forum but I had to repost so you guys didn't miss it.

5point7 vbmenu_register("postmenu_717148", true);
    I'm a frequent reader but first time poster.

I had the chance to test-drive a new Silverado yesterday and I thought I would give my review. I have never driven an import Full-Size truck so this comparison is between the current F-150 and RAM.

The model was a 4-Door 4x4 5.3L Black Silverado. Not sure about what suspension.

From the outside the truck looks even nicer in person. The interior is REALLY where the HUGE jump is from the last models. Interior is great! This particular one was fully loaded with DVD player and wireless headphones in the center console. Speaking of the center console, it is HUGE! The cockpit is am excellent place to be... very nice leather and comfortable seats.

Where I was MOST impressed was the AMAZING ride and handling! This alone puts the RAM to downright shame and the F-150 can't compete either. It rides like a cadillac and handles like a car! I was SO impressed with how balanced it felt!

The Vortech was plenty strong. I got to hit the pedal on the GM Tech Center grounds pretty good and it has good pickup for a truck. I would GUESS 0-60 in around 8 Sec.

This truck was only driven on a road course with stop and go and plenty of pedal hammers... the onboard computer (in front of the driver) said MPG average of 24MPG! Thats pretty impressive! The display also shows if you are in 4 or 8 cyl mode and it is obviously seemless.

I am not even in the market for a truck but these trucks impressed me SO much... I am 99% sure I will be getting one in the end of the year!

GM should be VERY proud, its a great truck!
    The folks at Inside Line managed to extract a little bit of extra news from General Motors at the debut of its new GMT900 pickups yesterday. Apparently the General plans to unveil hybrid versions of both pickups by Fall of next year. The hybrid pickups will feature the same dual-mode hybrid drivetrain that's set to appear first in the Tahoe Hybrid and be able to achieve a combined fuel economy rating of 25 mpg while mated to a V8 producing 365 horsepower and 350 ft-lbs. of torque.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Interesting - I hope GMC does intro a "real" hybrid truck - mild or otherwise. The current "hybrid" Sierra really isn't one. I know GM has been focusing a lot of hybrid work on larger vehicles like buses as the gains in a hybrid bus make up for quite a number of hybrid cars.
    I was disappointed to hear (from a GMC customer relations person) that the new Sierra Denali will only be offered as a crew cab.
  • gumpsgumps Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone have any info on delivery dates of the newly designed 2007 Sierra. I have heard the HD models will come out in early 2008, is this true? I am looking to purchase a 2500HD Duramax. The new design is awesome for a truck!
  • cosmikdebriscosmikdebris Member Posts: 1
    I'm very fond of the new truck and it's body style, Chevrolet was due for some new engine spec's. But as for some of the people that post here.. I'm not so fond of, "Fords are better blah blah blah" "I have 150 fords and 200 chevies and all the fords were crap!." yeah I exagerated a bit, but it's so sad. Then you get the little kids who are 14 pretending to be much older and saying they have experiance with these vehicles. Everyone has a different experiance with each and every vehicle. I own a 94 Chevy C1500 with 250,000 miles still runs great, doesn't mean all chevies are great, just means that the owners did did their job took care of the truck and I continue to do so and in return it lasted me a while. Pretty much any vehicle can last you as long as you want it to last as long as you take care of it, it doesn't have much to do with it being a chevy,ford, or dodge, but every once in a while you get the lime of the lot and others the vehicle wasn't designed the best, and ALL manufacterer's go through that stage. So I'd recommend just sticking about the topic and giving your idea of the truck on it being a truck, not of its brand.
  • gumpsgumps Member Posts: 17
    first quarter 2007 according to the Car Connecton: "Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duty models will arrive in the fourth quarter of 2006. Sierra Denali and Silverado and Sierra heavy-duty models are available in the first quarter of 2007."
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/Pickup_Trucks/RELEASE_GMs_New_Fu- ll-Size_Trucks.S275.A10711.html
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Ordering a 2007'GMC Sierra Denali. I called GMC, yesterday and they didn't have any product info on the GMT-900's. They do have a couple of pics on the GMC website. The customer service reps seem to confuse the 2007' "Classic" and GMT-900, which you as the customer have to throughly explain what the diference is before they realize what you are talking about. ;)

I was trying to find out what "features" will be available since a little over a month ago I was told this and that wasn't going to be available. I guess the rep was looking at the "classic" literature ? I look on the GMC website and see pics with features I wanted or was expecting to see and then was like huh ? :confuse: For example I asked a month ago if a DVD-Audio system would be available and was told no. Then a couple of days ago I linked on the GMC website and saw features I was told weren't available.

My point is GM, needs to do a little better training of its customer service reps. I also had a hard time understanding the rep I was talking to and had to aske her to repeat it twice and even then I didn't understand her english dialect which she obviously wasn't originally from this country.

Rocky
    check out this link:
    http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/dmdindex.htm
    click on 2007 and car/light trucks, click on the GMC symbol in the new window.
    Click on print book, then choose the model and then print model or any of the subsection you want to review.
    From what I can tell, it doesn't look like they have loaded the "new" Sierra Denali print book yet, which may explain why their CS reps don't have much to go on.
    That appears to be true ;)

Thanx

Rocky
  • slhtulsaslhtulsa Member Posts: 1
    They offer a small V6 because some people really want this truck but can't afford the bigger engine....simple
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Over 935,000 Silverados and Sierras were sold last year in the U.S. They are going to make a lot of profit with the new full-size trucks.
    agree
    ;)

Rocky
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    can you really tell the difference between this cash cow and the classic cash cow driving down the highway? I mean really??
    Spoken like a true Toyota fan.
    I can easily spot the difference. I feels the same as you when I see some foreign cars in person.

Rocky
    interesting... easily?
    Sorter, he is probably not a Toyota loyalist so he is able to tell the difference between model years on automakers other than Toyota.
    That is true I'm not a Toyota loyalist. I'm more of a domestic loyalist and have a easier time spotting the model yr. changes. GM, cars and trucks are my easiest since I was born and raised in a GM working family. ;) I do find Toyota's model changes the hardest of all the brands I see. They however are getting better with uniqueness. ;)

Rocky

P.S. How bout dem' new Sierra Denali's ? :shades:
  • silver4803silver4803 Member Posts: 7
    I ruined a Nissan engine on Mobil1 in 12,000 miles. I would only use synthetic as a suppliment not the full fill. After a rebuild it ran for another 100,000 miles no trouble. I run Quaker or Castrol non synthetic. Synthetic will drain to the crankcase and not provide enough during startup. They are good for engines that do not shut down.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This is a truly inane conversation. Let's please focus on the 07 Silverado/Sierra.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I'll bet you want to post something along those lines about 20 times a day. How you show the self-restraint to not do so is beyond me.

Sometimes I wonder if any of the hosts have 'alter-egos' where they can log-in as some 'normal' poster and just let somebody HAVE it, and then come back under their 'Host' hat to smooth the ruffled feathers......probably not, but I'll bet it's crossed some minds.... ;)
    ROTFLMAO :D Now that would be a very funny conspiracy theory. ;)

Neways, I read on another site the 07' GMC Sierra Denali, will have Skid Plates. I'm glad GM didn't ruin it and made a on-roader like the EXT. :surprise: PHEW !!!!!

Rocky
    I heard the same thing pal.

Rocky
    Yeah, that is kinda funny.... ;)

I just know there's absolutely NO WAY I could be a host of a forum where my on-line duty was to attempt to keep the 'kids' in line without SOME kind of an outlet.

Sometimes I think our host(s) have the patience of Job...
    He e-mailed me back that once he finds out more information about the 07's he'd let me know. I asked him if the new Trucks would have DVD-Audio surround sound. I told him I saw the Dolby Digital and DTS logo's on the Navigation stack which in all the cars I know of it represents true 5.1 or better Surround Sound. I've wrote GM, several e-mails telling them it's a must have in todays markets. They might of finally listened rorr. :shades:

Rocky
    thebigal,

Hows it going pal ? Okay, thanx I need to check that out then. Yeah I want to see a long test on Inside Line for the new 07' Sierra Denali I think I want to buy. :D:blush: GM, has been "hush, hush" about specifics.

Rocky
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Can OLNY price a crew cab at this time. Extended cabs only available early December at the earliest.
    Thank-you for the pics. I enjoyed them very much pal :)

Rocky
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Great pixs! Thanks for sharing.

In fact they're so good, I'm going to post them over on the Edmunds Inside Line Straightline blog. They'll go live on Monday.

Bob
  • alpinexalpinex Member Posts: 2
    Anyone think it is a little strange that (according to GM's own numbers) if you add the max payload and the curb weight of some of the Sierra models, you exceed the GVWR by several hundred pounds??
    Example: Crew Cab SB 4x4: Max Payload =2010 lbs; Curb Weight = 5371 lbs; Total weight claimed by GM = 7381 lbs!!!

But the GVWR for the vehicle is listed at 7000 lbs!!!

As in "Not Safe"... :sick:

Looks like GM is more interested in trying to put out bigger numbers than their competitors, than in the safety of their customers. :confuse:
    Yeah those are nice pics of the best trucks in the world. ;)

Rocky
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhGRe9CLsE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrrc3dMIsL0

Also here is what the guy said in the forum that got to drive the new trucks(this guy did was not the one driving in the video):

Well… today we got to witness the silverado’s unvailing… we got to crawl through the vehicles look at the various layouts… GM’s accessorys for the vehicles.. we got to drive them, we got to tow them… we even got to ride the competition to compare how high GM has set the bar.

… we were demenstrated the advantages of the locking rear differential, the standard stablitrac on crew cabs, as a stunt driver tried to simulate accident avoidance, we even got to tow with the vortec max’s 6.0 367 hp a 6500 lb trailer…

according to one of the facilitators when the built the chassis stress simulator… the silverado wasnt finnished so they tested it on the competition… and tweaked the best selling truck in america to the point in which insurance called it totaled… the new silverado really raises the bar… and its really a great truck… looks clean through out and handles very nicely… the LT interior is imho much nicer then the LTZ or Tahoe interior…

these trucks ride, steer, sound, look amazing …

i can show you a video of the silverado and a f150 tied together… and i’ll bet you can guess the outcome…

Also,

the Chassis stress simulator…

was two alluminum railings… that the truck is sitting on…

and they strap the right rear wheel of the truck to the alluminum railing and then with hydrolics they reposition the allumium railings… so that in the first example… the truck is balanced on two wheels… the front passenger and the rear(strapped wheel) on the driver side… and in this example they showed that although the truck is dangling at a 45* angle… they could still open each door with ease… that they could still open and close the tail gate without the structure of the box/chassis changing… they showed us that because of this stiffness… they could make the body panel gaps even closer together because the truck isnt twisting… the bed and cab are now only 1.1 inches apart… and even with this thing dangling on 2 wheels… as they put it back on all 4 wheels… you could see the cargobox(bed) only twist about 1/4 inch…

in the second example they wanted to show wheel play…so they forced the rear passenger wheel into the bed of the truck (aprently this is where they broke the ford)… the leaf spring was upside down… so it was plenty obvious that that hydrolic was doing a number on the truck… and still the wheel had more to travel… before it actually hit the fender… but in this example all 4 tires were on the allumimum railing…

it was quite intresting…

this was also built into a display of the G80 locker… with allumimum rail on one side and rollers on another… and ford’s 4×4 couldnt climb it… dodge ram couldnt climb it… but the silverado 2wd took it with ease…
    "this was also built into a display of the G80 locker… with allumimum rail on one side and rollers on another… and ford’s 4×4 couldnt climb it… dodge ram couldnt climb it… but the silverado 2wd took it with ease…"

So.....they tested a truck with a locker rear-end against two trucks WITHOUT locker rear-ends? And you find it 'interesting' that the truck with the locker could climb that ramp?

Can we also assume that in the video where the silverado tows off the F150, that this is a similar demonstration of a locker rear-end?

will wonders never cease......it's 2007 and suddenly a G80 locker is news? :confuse:
    rorr, lol !!! You are cracking me up pal.

Rocky
    :P

But seriously, what's with the demo's? As far as I can tell, these were simply demonstrations of the superior traction of a locker rear-end compared to an open rear-end? Am I missing something here? (wouldn't be the first time - won't be the last :blush: )
    It was showing us how superior GM's locker rear-end is to open rear-end, and is why we should bvasically choose GM, when the going gets rough. ;)

Rocky
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee952dc

editor_karl - Oct 24, 2006 9:38 am

Reports from (finally) driving the Silverado last week are that it kicks booty. But, we didn't drive it soon enough to consider it for either Most Wanted or Most Significant voting.

Once again for the GM people who might be reading this:

BUT WE DIDN'T DRIVE IT SOON ENOUGH TO CONSIDER IT FOR EITHER MOST WANTED OR MOST SIGNIFICANT VOTING.

Maybe next time...
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Wow, considering how "important" this vehicle is to GM, there does not seem to be much buzz. Also, from what I have read and seen elsewhere, the trucks showing up at dealers are priced in the low $40k's. Ouch.
    I think the main reason there isn't a ton of buzz at the moment is because they are just landing at dealerships now. It is true that the trucks showing up at dealers are priced in the low $40k's but they are LTZs (loaded). Ones that are not, are in the mid $30k's (that's from a local dealership).
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I like their looks, at least in the pictures I have seen. And I hope they sell well for GM. However, I hope GM keeps things in perspective regarding pricing. Every weekend I see new F150 crewcab xlt 4x4s advertised in the $25-26k range. Also, $3.00 gas is still on people's minds. GM should price this thing right from the outset. If it does, it will be winner. If not, it'll just be the latest mistep by a US car company.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    My local Chevy dealership already have one '07 Silverado in stock. I've test drove it, THE TRUCK IS VERY QUIET, AND ALSO VERY SMOOTH!! I drove a Crewcab with a 4.8 liter, one little step on the gas and the thing was flying. The man at the dealership said more would come by Halloween. Out of 10 I would give this truck a 10. ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    10 out of 10 is very high ranking for a second in class in HP, and second (tie) in class in towing truck.
    Good point sorter. That person is stating an opinion, what a jerk! :mad: Also, if you are going to start stating facts please use a source. Saves us the argument.
  • firstdaddyfirstdaddy Member Posts: 19
    With the other auto makers going to 5 & 6 speed automatics, why does GM continue to ignor the direction of the market? Dodge has been running a 5-speed auto with its Hemi 5.7 liter. The new Toyota Tundra will have a 5-speed automatic. The Ford F-150 will likely get the Expedition's 6-speed automatic very soon. What gives?
This discussion has been closed.