Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• skytop1skytop1 Member Posts: 106
    I purhased my Denali Sierra today. Found out that GM is now giving multiple rebates which I fortunately qualified for. I received $1000, $750 and $500 for a total of $2250.
  • dutchbros154dutchbros154 Member Posts: 5
    I just got my Sierra Denali last week..Black on Black with every option. I absolutely love it! I already put the Superchips programmer in it. This truck is FAST!! I have the intake on the way but I cant find an exhaust out for it yet...might have one custom made. Does anybody else have other ideas on simple performance add ons? ">
    You don't want a truck. What you want is a Corvette! (smile)
    Had the new Denali one day now. Overall impression is highly favorable. The truck is a real looker. I must say that the purchase experience was even far better than that at my Mercedes dealer last year. The GMC dealer personel were very professional and a special person took 35 minutes going over every aspect of the operation of the truck before I left. Nice.
    The 403 HP engine idles and sounds exactly like a Corvette (at the tail pipe). I like that. The coil over suspension is taught but compliant. Steering is on track and precise with excellent feedback. Very quiet ride and the 6 speed manumatic is a marvel of smoothness and flexibility. I like the 'manual' mode that permits paddle type shifting.

To my surprise, my 70mph trip fuel mileage was 20.3 mpg with a brand new engine and All Wheel Drive. Break in should improve that! BTW, the engine turns only 1700 rpm's (with 20" wheels) at 70mph which undoubtedly helps support the decent fuel economy. Yet, with 403 HP, I have no doubt that putting my foot into it will make Hugo 'Citgo' Chavez smile broadly and bring pain to my wallet. The NAVIGATION is remarkable and actually is more intuitive and helfpful than the Mercedes or BMW systems I have used. Seats are exceptionally comfortable with high quality hides. I found a place for my cell phone in one of the many cup holders. The switch gear is very high quality and a pleasure to feel in operation. There are no exposed bolt heads securing the seating tracks, the fit and finish of the metal work and interior is very high quality. I have difficulty believing this is a GMC vehicle and not some high dollar European luxo vehicle. I am sincerely impressed and pleased with this purchase. GM really did its homework and delivered the goods. The GMC dealership surely did their job as well.
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    Hey, Sorry about the issue with your truck. Depending on where you are located, I'd be thrilled to take that truck off of your hands with a reasonable offering. I've been driving Chevy trucks off and on for 20+ years and am thoroughly sold on them. You have a minor problem really, needs the pan dropped... a Saturday afternoon job.
    If you want to get rid of it, contact me and see what we can work out.

Schlog
  • inthebizinthebiz Member Posts: 5
    Mine is the DVD based system. The clock is off center by about an inch. enough to notice. So far the system works fine. I do wish it has an internal hard drive to store MP3 music. That is one of the new features being offered in some vehicles. I saw a 29 gig drive in a radio sold by DCX. The only problem with the truck is the drivers mirror is a little loose and it shakes at road speeds. Dealer to replace. Service parts are usually a problem as suppliers ship their non conforming parts as service. So I will inspect it when it come in prior to install, parhaps keep the old one. My heated mirrors always crapped out.
  • terrencem72terrencem72 Member Posts: 2
    In the month or so I've had mine I am averaging about 16mpg overall, which is better than 14mpg my 02 Denali 6.0L got. On a 350 mile highway trip at about 70mph I got 22mpg... the six speed transmission makes a difference. Unfortunately, I'm only getting around 12mpg in city driving.

The resonator on the exhaust gives a cool sound, but I wonder how it effects horsepower.

I just added a Linex sprayed bedliner and a truxedo lo-pro soft tonneau cover. I'm waiting for GM to release the iPod intergation unit. For now the aux jack is working quite well.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I am amazed at the fuel economy numbers some of you are getting. Amazing !!!!!! That was my biggest fear and one reason why I didn't buy one. If GMC would make the 2-Mode hybrid option available on the Denali within the next few years I might still end up buying one. Four features I'd like to still see added to the Denali is #1 The 2-Mode of course. #2 Bose 5.1 #3 Ventilated Seats #4 Bluetooth. Yeah I know the ventilated seats, and Bose 5.1 are in the Escalade and the 2-Mode is coming. I requested to GMC to make all these features options in the future and happily buy one. Bluetooth is not yet available but I'm sure in the near future it will be. :) It is a damn fine truck the way it is and if the rumor holds true we could see some engine and transmission upgrades as soon as this fall.

If you baught a 07' you nothing to be ashamed of. As I said it amazes me how good of hwy mileage you guys are getting. My buddy's 06' Tundra, he baught he wishes now he wouldn't of baught it because it doesn't have enough power and he is only getting 14 mpg hwy. I told him what GM guys are getting and he is very jealous and upset. ;)

-Rocky
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    The old gang here sure has changed ! No more Ryan,
    Quad, Obie, 4,Dave 40, Tx Yank,Farmer Rube and
    several more longtime GM truck owners swapping stories, telling lies, and bustin' on the toyoyo crew!

Since the powers that be here split up all the forums
    and censored/banned many folks as well as posts everybody has disappeared !

Keep on postin' folks.................
    Well gang.........Finding a new GMT-900 2500 around
    the Syracuse NY area is like pulling teeth !!!!
    The 2500s are not listed on GM Buypower yet so its
    "work the phone" method to find what ya want !!!!!

Anyhoo after several weeks of hunting I found my Quarry!
    (Either a Chevy or GMC) A black 2500 x-cab 4x4 !!!!
    And it was a Chevy! GMCs are far a few around here !

There were 2 identical at different dealers so it was time
    to bust the move and shop my trade ! (A 04 Chevy 2500 x-cab
    4x4).
    One dealer offended me with $18,500 ! The other $21,500
    So I knew which dealer was gonna get my business........

So I inspected the 07 top to bottom for paint and assembly
    issues since I have read missing and poor paint posts
    on several forums. The salesman laughed why I told him
    why I was inspecting every nook and cranny so closely!

Now that the paint was flawless it was test drive time!
    I started it dead cold (with the hood up) and listened
    close for the dreaded CSK! (over 2 days) None noted !
    I took it for a shakedown cruise down the local freeway
    and noting for any tire or driveline shake as well as
    interior rattles and alignment issues.........
    Thankfully there were none!

Deal time.......
    Anyhoo since I am a GM employee/family buyer the price
    is set in stone so my only worry was that GM might up
    the rebate $$$ in May over the $4000 that was avail. to
    me in April. Note: GM had a increased special $$$ offer
    to family/employee buyers as well as a GM card bonus.
    Thankfully I made the deal on the 30th ! May offered
    a big fat ZERO $$$$ cash offer on a 2500 GMT-900.

Signed the papers, kissed my 04 goodbye (with a tear in
    my eye!), and drove down the road smilin' !!!!!!!!!! :shades:
    Congrats on your new rig! I too made it under the deadline for significant rebates before the April 30th deadline. But I feel certain that GM will offer more rebates later in the summer as sales wilt in the July August heat.

The paint on my brand new Denali is nothing short of gorgeous too. There is no orange peel and the coverage is 100%. Even the paintwork under the hood is excellent. GM still does not clearcoat the underhood as the foreign cars do(diffulty in rotating the hood back for second pass during painting I am told). I am very pleased with the fit and finsh on this rig. Now if only gas would go back down to .28 a gallon, it would be a perfect world!
    I sure was suprised thAt the 07 2500s offered a Z-71
    pkg. as I thought that the Z stickers on a 2500 was
    a dealer "add on" deaL...............
    i NOTED THAT THE Z-71 PKG. WASN'T NOTED on the "build
    your own" site on Buypower.

My new rig has the built in trailer brake controller
    as well as the factory remote start. My will that
    come in handy come this cold winter mornings at 3am
    to come during snowplowing season !

I also note the auto 4wd mode ! I had that on my 01
    2500 ld and it was great when full time 4wd wasn't
    needed every minute. It wasn't offered in my 04 hd.

Another suprise was the 3:73 rear ratio. I already
    note a big..(ha-ha)...13.5 city mpg usage. A bit better
    than my 04 w/4:10s 10 mpg city figures............
    A road trip is necessary to find out hi-way mpgs.

I am really amazed by the off the line power of the new
    6.0 even with the 3:73s and G-80. My 04 4:10s G-80
    would barely squeek the tires. This 07 is a monster and
    will roast the tires in 1st and 2nd and bounce the motor
    off the rev limiter !!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
    Gives a nicer smoke show than my Z or GTO !
    Who expects a 5000+ lb. flying brick to do those kind of
    tricks!

But we will soon see if this bad boy can WORK !
    Will be put to the test soon heavy towing and snowplowing!

This ain't no Blundra err...tundra driveway queen! :blush:
  • tacomadudetacomadude Member Posts: 11
    Howdy, I'm in the market for a new 3/4, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the GMC 6.0L Vortec. Going to be trading in my 04 Tacoma.

From what I read, with the 6.0L, 12-13 city and up to 18 hwy with a light foot is to be expected. How's the pickup with the gas engine? All the media reviews have focused (as usual) on the diesel.

I haven't been able to find any pictures (or real life examples) of the 17" wheel option. Has anyone seen them anywhere?

Thanks yall for any info....Dave
    I have been using either the center console cup holder or the space in the door arm rest to stow my cell phone. Before I drill holes or use glue, has anyone figured out a superior method or device to hold your cell phone in a convenient place?
    I have been researching innovative cargo box hitch mounted step fixtures to use with my AWD Sierra Denali which is kind of tall.

99% of the hitch steps are USELESS if you put down the cargo box door since the step is blocked from use when you lower the cargo box door. I have found only two that seem to be well designed. One is the Debo step www.debostep.com (telescopes straight back beyond the open box door) and the other is the Bully Cowboy 2 step http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=821 (telescopes out sideways to the driver side to allow side step access to open cargo door.)
    Has anyone seen anything like these or better?
  • jbstxjbstx Member Posts: 2
    Just curious is your Denali AWD ?
    What was your sale price ?
    I'm getting a quote of $42,161 +TTL
    One guy from another forum told me he got a quote of 37k for one he ordered ??

Thanks
    The truck window sticker is $49,100. Do you think anyone is really getting one for $37K? There are lots of dreamers and B.S. artists on the forums. Do your own due dilligence.
  • bowtieladbowtielad Member Posts: 8
    I bought one of those clip on holders you slide your phone into and put it on my sunvisor. They also make a holder that attaches to your AC vent with small clips.
  • dutchbros154dutchbros154 Member Posts: 5
    i think the base price on the 2wd model is stickered at like 39k so with rebates including the trade in rebate that was offered 37k is possible but with no options on the 2wd. I have awd fully loaded. the only option I didnt get was rear entertainment as it would absolutely never get used. I was right about 42k on mine. Almost any dealer will sell for invoice less rebates and some even a couple dollars less. On a new model like this no dealer will sell much cheaper than invoice less rebates.
    SKY........Why not check and see if a Avalanche
    bumper will bolt onto your truck? You do know
    that they have a step cut out on each side?
    Geo: The stepside is on national backorder. I have had a set on order for about 4 weeks so far. I found out why GM will NOT provide a grab handle on the A pillar like every other manufacturer in the universe. A senior GM official I met yesterday at a show told me that GM lost a major lawsuit in which some guy was holding onto the handle and had his arm rigid as he got into a head on collision. The impact of the smashing A pillar rammed his arm solidly and propelled it rearward sufficiently to cause the man to lose the arm. How a stinking lawyer can make money on that is beyond me but some dick obviously did. Now the rest of us must crawl into our trucks without benefit of a simple grab bar. Maybe someone else can explain how this kind of event dictates GM's designs. Have you seen the lawyers letter every time you power up the Navigation system? Thank a lawyer.
    The part number for the Tubular Assist Steps - Oval - 6 inch Oval, Stainless, Crew Cab, Black is Part Number: 17801890 for $599 list. These are the steps shown on the new '07 Sierra Denali on the GMC website and brochure. This number is for the 4 door crew cab (Denali). A shorter version is also available for the extended cab model Part Number: 19159772 for $550. GM also makes round tubular chrome step bars for about $350.
    I will also note living here in salt, snow and ice land.
    All the 3-4 yo 'rados I see with step bars have a
    problem.....RUSTED to pieces !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Either the chrome or paint is pitted or gone OR they
    have rot holes in them while the trucks bodies do not!

One customer of mines 01 with factory/dealer installed
    painted bars rusted to pieces and collapsed when he
    stepped on them !

Me being short I learned how to grab onto the steering
    wheel and "jump" into the seat !!!!!!!!!! LOL!

You ought to see my 5 foot momma climb into the front
    without the benefit of either the A pillar or dashboard
    grab bars on my 07 !!!! :P
    She sure b*****s up a storm and wants to ride in the Caddy!
    Yee haw! Smokin' the tires off the line with the 6.0. I just ordered my '07 2500HD Sierra today @ the dealership. 4-6 weeks til it gets here!!! 13.5 in the city is dang good. Let us know how it does on the hwy...
    1offroader,

Ordered mine and got Edmunds TMV price. How much more did ya end up paying?
    Well Dave since I am a GM employee/family buyer I get the killer deal !!!!!!!!!!!
    MSRP $35,xxx GM employee deal price $31,xxx minus
    $4000 in combined rebates (till Mar. 30th..so I had to bust the move or gamble on higher rebates in Apr.....BUT good thing I didn't wait because NO rebates on 2500s!) $1800 more rebates than a off the street buyer.

Another employee/family perk is NO advertising fee of
    around $500 (ALL automakers charge this!)and the DOC
    fee is limited to $75 !

Dealer drooled over my 04 Chevy 2500 x-cab 4x4 w/ 20k
    miles and gave me $21,500 trade..............

Painless deal............ :P
    After much searching in stores, seeing all manner of gimmicks, I believe I found a very good elegant and inexpensive solution to mounting my cell phone.

I purchased an $8 phone case kit at Walmart which has a mounting 'button' on the backside which in turn easily slides in or out of a supplied trouser belt mount (not the kind with a spring loaded clip). I applied trimmed velcro to the back of the belt mount and stuck it onto the very narrow 1" wide dashboard section (plastic wood color) that is between the driver's side panel A/C vent and the instrument cluster.
    It fits perfectly, does not interfere whatsoever with steering, is instantly available & visible when driving, and if you are out of the truck, you only have to open door and phone is right there...you don't have to crawl inside to reach. It doesn't interfere with the A/C vents or block anything. The velcro is wonderful and leaves no residue on the dash when it is removed.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    I also ordered & paid about $150 or so over invoice. It's been a few months so I don't recall to the last dollar. The MSRP was about $39.4K, invoice $35,300 as I recall. I paid about $35,600, but also got a third ignition key which is about $150 or so (?). (Keys are not like the old days when you could go to Home Depot and have one cut for $2. They now have electronic chips inside & have to be programmed). So, I paid almost $4K under MSRP. My out-the-door price was right at $39K. I ordered lots of options, & there were no incentives at the time (ordered last Dec., delivered late Feb.) But, I got EXACTLY what I wanted, no compromises. So far I love the truck, have about 3K miles on it. No regrets, I'd buy it again.

1offroader
    Who sez these keys need to be programmed?

I had a regular hardware store cut key for my 04
    and it worked fine..............

Gonna do the same for my 07!

Hope it works............
    Go ahead. It'll open the door but won't start the truck.

In almost all newer cars & trucks, there is an implanted chip in the key head. This chip is read by some circuitry inside the ignition switch, and if you haven't got the right code the truck won't start. My 2002 Altima has this feature too. It's a very good theft deterrent.

Only the dealer, or certified locksmiths, can make these keys.

My Nissan dealer wants $200 for an Altima key. I haven't checked Chevy's price, but it's got to be high, too.

Your 04 might've been about the last year that didn't have the feature.

Doubt it? Call Chevy.

1offroader
    Good to hear 1offroader. 6.0L or Duramax? What are ya getting for gas mileage?
    6.0L, 4x4, crew

I did a hwy. trip a few weeks ago. 70 mph, cruise control on, a/c on. About 80% flat hwy, & included some mtn. fwy. driving as well. 18.2 mpg. Impressive mileage considering the power. Active Fuel Management really works well - you can see it (but not feel it) toggle back and forth between v-4 and v-8 mode.

In town, commuting mostly stop-n-go, about 14 mpg. I try to use a light foot (but once in a while I just have to goose the horses).

1offroader
    1offroader,
    Pretty impressive that a HD V8 truck gets the same mpg as my compact Tacoma. Granted the Tac has a lift & mudders. I can't wait for late June (arrival date of my truck).

Since I don't have the owners manual yet (obviously), what's GMC's recommended break-in period for the 6.0? I know break-ins aren't as big of a deal as they used to be, but I always take it easy for the first thousand miles at least.

Last but not least, how's the sound quality of the stereo? I got the SLE1 audio pkg w/ XM, 6-cd changer. I assume, like most GM stock radios, that the speakers will need to be replaced with Pioneers ASAP LOL... When I test drove, that model had the Bose, but I didn't get it.

Thanks.....Dave
    I don't know what the manual recommends for a break-in, but like you I never run it too hard for the first 1,000 or so. But I didn't baby it either. Just drive it normally. I changed the oil & filter at about 300, & again at about 1500, & then went onto my normal schedule of 3000-4000. Oil MUST be 5W-30 according to the manual. Filter is the AC Delco PF48 - this might be a relatively new filter & is not yet widely avail. at discount places like Kragen or Pep Boys. My local Chevy dealer sells 'em for about $6.50.

I have the 2LT interior package & the stereo/single CD that came with it. Sounds very good, not as good as the Bose obviously. Completely adequate for my needs.

My 1992 v-6 Toyota 4x4 got about 19 mpg. Hard to believe this truck almost equals that mpg, and is about 1,000% more capable as far as comfort, hauling, etc.

1offroader
    Agree with you tacomadude:
    I just had the oil changed at my dealer today at almost 300 miles. They charged $55. for Mobil 1 with the toilet paper oil filter (just kid'n). They used the PF-48 filter. They also washed my truck for me to remove all the love bugs (acidic body fluids damage paint) that are out in force now down here in Florida. Never saw such care and courtesy as my GMC dealer delivers. The service department is not as "polished" as my service visits to Lexus or MB, no designer muffins and flavored coffee, (GMC has KK donuts and hot old fashioned java!) but they've got the right attitude and the work is excellent. I am very pleased. Just wish they wouldn't blow cigarette smoke in my face.
    Again more good news 1offroader. It's makin me dang anxious to get it!

One thing my GMC dealer could not answer... Does the Heavy Duty Trailering package (Z82) include the camper-style mirrors with turn signals? I did not see a separate option to select those mirrors elsewhere on the SLE1 line.

According to a new Truck Trend article on the Chevy HD (http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0706_2007_chevrolet_silverado_hd- ), the Z82 does include those mirrors. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thanks guys...
    -Dave
    When I was at the dealer today, I saw them upgrading Sierras and Yukons by adding chrome features. One of the popular items was the fancy chrome flip open gas filler door. I also noticed the parts guy saving the 'disgarded' stock gas filler doors. He said they list for about $160. so he saves them for folks who damaged their own. The dealer sells them for a fraction of their actual cost as an accomodation.
    Should you ever need one of these doors, remember the dealer probably has some take offs laying around in the parts room.
  • boatpullerboatpuller Member Posts: 4
    Ordered the truck on April 11, truck came in on the evening of May 17th. They told me 6 - 8 weeks and it came in just over 5 weeks. When to check it out after it came off the truck, everything was as it was suppose to be. (Sweet Ride) We'll be picking it up tomorrow after a few added accessories are added. Trading in a 2000 Silverado (LT) with 5.3L which has been a great truck also, but looking forward to the 6.0L engine. Sleepless Nights!!!
    Truck sales for all brands are in the dumper with fuel prices for regular now about $3.19. That is cooling the entire economy. GM reports that its new line of trucks is not selling any where near their projections. With less sold trucks being ordered (sold status takes precedence for production), folks like you are getting their truck far quicker. It took almost 9 weeks for mine to come in two weeks ago (ordered in early March). Good luck with your new baby!
    Had my dealer install a GM brand bug shield on my truck Friday. Friday afternoon, I was walking around the front of the truck and my short sleeve shirt just caught the end of the bug shield. Without as much as a pull or a ripped sleeve, the bug shield shattered about 6" from the end. What are they making these bug shield pieces out of? Reground, recycled applesauce jars? Tomorrow, I'll be on the phone with the dealer for sure. :mad:
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    usually is over priced junk. My dealer was selling a reverse sensor sold on the internet for $150.00 retail for $750.00 installed. What a joke. I personally would not buy anything from the dealer period. Cept the truck of course.
  • ktpklossktpkloss Member Posts: 28
    I've driven several 5.3l ones...and they have sufficient power...but it seems like all the good "deals" now are revolving around 4.8l equipped trucks, obviously they don't sell that well.. does anyone have one of these? how are these trucks performace-wise?
    Called the dealer and he was 'stupefied.' He said it could not happen because the shield is made of lexan. Maybe so I said, but the GM lexan is shattered at one end. :confuse: Anyway, the parts guy is upstanding and he ordered a replacement under warantee. Hopefully, the replacement will be manufactured better and not be anywhere near as brittle.
  • boatpullerboatpuller Member Posts: 4
    Thanks skytop1, I was suppose to take delivery of my new truck early this week per my previous post and my dealer pushed me off until Thursday, he said it would be worth my wait!! Possibly a change in the rebates to our advantage. That's always a good thing!!!! Is it Thursday Yet!!!
    I bought mine on April 30th to take advantage of a number of large rebates which expired on the 30th. With sales still sluggish, it would not be a suprise if GM will bring out some more rebates to stimulate sales. You might as well be prudent and a bit more patient and you will be rewarded. Thursday will be here in a couple more heartbeats. Good luck!
  • jsorensenjsorensen Member Posts: 7
    I've order a 6.0 crew GM, loaded truck to be built/delivered mid-June. If my brother-in-law is a GM employee, can he offer me a family/friend discount, and how much is this? Initial offer is invoice, less rebates or family/friend discounts, or 0% financing if available.
  • schlogschlog Member Posts: 19
    Have we eaten the crow yet? :P
  • jmkrobotjmkrobot Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a new Chevy/GMC 2500 HD Diesel. I have never owned a diesel. All My Diesel driving buddys have warned me about some new Ultra Low Sulfur Engines; that i shoud stay away from. So, I asked my local dealer if the NEW bodystyle HD model's are being built with the NON-ULSD engines. He could not tell me. I think he just want's me to buy one of those new Diesel's...

So, my question are directed to the GM dealers / manufacturers here online:

1. Is the NEW body style HD avaialble with the NON-ULSD engine? If so, how long will they be available?
    2. When, will the ULSD's be hitting the lot's?
    3. Are the NON-ULSD engines only available on the Old body style 2007's?
    4. If I ordered a new 2500HD Diesel this month, what would be my chances of getting the old diesel engine?

Thanks,

Loyal Chevy PU Owner
    M.O.
    A diesel is suitable for those who will drive sufficient miles per year to amortize the super premium paid for the diesel engine option or absolutely need the brute torque for towing applications. Add in the very expensive frequent oil/filter and fuel filter changes and you begin to appreciate the true cost of the diesel.
This discussion has been closed.