Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,958
    Buffeting is a pretty common problem with lots of cars. Sometimes cracking a rear window or sunroof helps. See:

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 10:19 pm
  • I had a similar problem with an Olds I once had, and I know this may sound crazy. If you keep your vehicle in a garage and you have any furry pets, check between the radiator and the air conditioner condenser for a build up of fur which restricts the air flow and causes cooling problems. Just a thought.
  • :) Took back to dealer and got a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ a straight 6..:)
  • My central locking system is not working on my 2001 durango. The fuses are fine, but i would rater not pay the high dealer ship repair bills to fix it. My mechanic is having a hard time correcting the problem. Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you fix it? :cry:
  • Well it has now been a month without my 1999 Durango and I just received a call from mechanic. He asked me to come pick up the vehicle because he can not fix it. He did tell me that he would get it to run so that I can get it to another mechanic or the dealer. I was wondering what the policy is for a mechanic billing me for not fixing the problem? I had already paid the man a lagre amount when he told me that he fixed the problem back in the start of July (1000.00+) I had the vehicle for less than 24 hours before the same problem came back. I spoke to him during the time he had the vehicle and he asked me to leave the truck with him because he wanted to solve the problem. I was going to pull the truck out but agreed to let him fix it. Now, he can't fix the problem. What are my finacial responsibilties to the mechanic? Does he get to be paid in ful for not fixing my truck?
  • I was having the same problem, I just spent $ 425.00 to get a new time modular in it. I supposedly had a security system in it before I bought it. Was told my truck thought it was stolen, so it would shut the fuel off. It is still doing the same thing. I had a scan tool ran on it, show's no codes at all.I"m at a loss and out the MONEY... I had my Crank position sensor tested on it...said it had a spark to it. I was also told that could have been the problem..WISH it had.. the part was cheaper...
  • kimosmkimosm Posts: 7
    I have the same problems . I have a 2000 Durango w/ a 4.7 . Have you have any luck w/ yours yet ?? I have it at the dealership now and they cleaned wires . This did not fix the problem . It is still pouring black soot out the back and "eating gas" . I get about 5-6 miles per gallon and with gas prices now days. Is there some defect w/ this model and make that would cause so many mech. and tech. to go bald from scratching their heads with wonder ?? :sick: Please if anyone can give me any insight on this problem please let me know.
  • If I can get your telephone number, I would explain to you what is happening to your Durango.

My problem is solved. I too, went to the dealer, and they identified the power steering switch is bad, leading to your current problems.
  • Never post your phone # in a public forum. This could make you the victim of malicious conduct. If you want another member to call you, e-mail them by clicking on their user name.

thanks,

MrShiftright
    Host
    I think my oil problem has went . The oil has reached the computer system . I'm talking w/ Dodge to see if they can help me w/ some of the repair cost since this is a design defect on this model . What are my chances ??
    Dodge will pay for the PCM , Computer for the oil leakage problem . They will not pay for the wire harness for the Durango 2000 , 4.7 l. Does any one have a solution for the oil that is in the wires now ??
  • aray2aray2 Posts: 15
    I had the same problem and wrote about it in this forum. The power steering switch goes bad, leaking fluid through the ground wire which is a common wire going to the o2 sensor. When fluid goes down the ground in the o2, it gets shorted out.(reason for raw gas) The dealership does sell a wiring harnes bypass for $66.00 that runs seperate wires from the ground to the pcm. You still need to change the steering pressure switch. It's very difficult to get the fluid out of the ground wire going all the way down to the o2. Reaon for new harness bypass. I called bosh and they told me the ground wire color is white on the o2. Match that up to the wire on the other side of the connector, cut that wire and run a new wire to a ground, eleminating the old ground to the o2. Do not cut the wires on the o2. Cut the wire on the back side of the connector. I think mine was a black with a blue stripe, but i cant be sure now. Just match the two connectors to determine the one that corresponds with the white wire. Worked for me. Good luck
  • Hello all...

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT. For a while now, I've noticed the blower for the air conditioner is not very strong. My wife's Ford Windstar on a setting of 3 out of 4 is faster than mine at full blast. Not much air seems to be coming out of it when at full, and all the other settings seem to be pretty slow too. Anyone run into this? Anyone know what the problem could be?
  • OK - I was just clicking around for a bit and found this site then after about 20 minutes of reading, I became seriously concerned. I absolutely love my 2001 Durango. It's an SLT with a 4.7L. I'm getting awesome gas mileage right now. 18 city 22 hwy (don't know why but I'm not complaining). I just hit 75k miles and I have not had any problems until yesterday. I was on my way home from work and I had the A/C on max. It suddenly went off. I stopped at a light and turned it off then on again. Now it only works on MAX. low and medium settings do not work. the blower will not come on. When I put it on max it works just fine. Nice cold air but nothing at all on low or medium.

Please - if anyone has some words of wisdom to help I would appreciate it.
  • ok - has anyone ever heard a noise coming from the dash when the AC is on reg or max that sounds similar to when you blow accross a beer bottle? it is a loud, low toned, vibrating sound that i can't purposely reproduce based on outside temp or humidity, fan speed, vehicle speed or anything that is remotely trackable.

dealership says nothing is wrong with AC, and i can't get it to reproduce when i'm there anyway.
    my durango is still eating gas . I've had power steering switch , O2 sensors , TPS, PCM changed . I still have the black exhaust coming out the tailpipe and it still looks like a diesel going down rode. This vechile is getting ready to go to the big junk yard in the sky. Any suggestions ????
    I will be getting rid of my Durango 2001 4.7 . I was told by the dealership that it was not worth fixing.
  • aray2aray2 Posts: 15
    Is your check engine light still on? If it is, is the code for the o2? The connector may be full of power steering fluid causing the ground on the o2 to short out. Chrysler does sell a bypass harness for this. Cost is $66.00.
  • I am having the same problem with my ac. Only having the maximum setting available. Mine happened about a few days ago. Not sure what is causing this. If you have any ideas about what it could be please let me know. Thanks
  • What state do you live in? If we are close, I can assist you on the service on your Durango for little charge. ...And if the 2000 and 2001 Durangos are designed the same - in regards to the wiring.

I replaced all 4 wires going to the front O2 sensor, bypassing the factory connections. All connections were completed by the air cleaner box.

If the wires are full of power steering fluid - one must replace all 4 wires.

I look forward to your response.