Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jhtufanojhtufano Posts: 2
    Hi - I have a 2000 Durango, 4.7L engine, full time 4WD, 127K miles and I have a tapping sound coming from the right side (passenger side) of the engine. When the engine is idling the sound is minimal, when the engine accelerates or driven under load (up a hill) engine rattles and taps like a diesel... It sounds like a valve tap or a busted lifter.

I have the valve covers off, injectors removed, throttle body removed, and the timing chain cover is off... Suggestions received so far vary all over the place and I am trying to take an orderly approach to solving the problem. I want to look at the lower cost problems 1st and replace the motor as a last ditch effort.

A recent suggestion is that it might be a hydraulic lash adjuster gone bad... Do they tap like a valve tap when they fail?

My visual inspection shows the cam is in good shape (no excessive wear) rocker arms/springs intact, and timing chain does not seem to be worn, the tensioners and guides seem to be in good shape... The passenger side secondary timing chain seems to have a bit more free play than the driver’s side. Can anyone comment on what level of secondary timing free play is acceptable?

Please offer suggestions on possible causes and the timing chain and hydraulic lash adjuster questions posted above.

Thanks.

JT
    :)
  • OK guys ... here is one. I come out of the store and behold.. Sentry key does not unlock the doors. Maybe battery in Sentry key, NO. I then found (once I got home) that transfer case switch indicator no light, no head lights, no dome lights and rear window wipers don't work either. BUT ... when I disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect ... everything works great. So needless to say all fuses are good. after driving a couple times, I am right back with the problem. So at this time .. I am only aware of the temporary fix. ANY IDEAS
  • I have the same problem .... what is a ECM ???
  • steelman4steelman4 Posts: 4
    Hello all! Well, i had a issue with the Durango not idling. this was a on and off issue. could not get it fixed. Once the motor warmed up, seemed better. Now, this has went on for 5k miles. (my wifes Durango) so you can imagine the hell i took from it. dealer said they was nothing wrong. change gas, tune-ups, whole 9 yards. Now for the good stuff. the tranny started acting up. would not shift out of 1st gear. you stop place in park, put back in drive would work, then would only take off in high gear. 3 different shops said the tranny needed to be rebuild. $1100 was the lowest est. took it to a small shop outside town, told the guy what it was doing and asked for a est. for rebuilding the tranny. the guy LAUGHED at me!!!!! he smiled let me look at it a second and i will tell ya. he comes out 15 min later and says its fixed. he replaced a sensor on top of the tranny... labor was the highest part of the bill. $20. $15 for the part. not only did it fix the tranny, but it no longer stalls and dies, the idling is perfect whole 9 yards... hope this helps someone else out!
  • OK ... I found ECM means Electronic Control Modules, BUT which one did you have replaced. Thanks for your reply ahead of time.
  • joann_ajoann_a Posts: 1
    I DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY 1999 DODGE DURANGO. WHEN WE TURN IT ON IT TURNS ON FINE. BUT THEN LIKE TEN TO TWENTY MINUTES AFTER IT TURNS OF AND IT DOSENT TURN ON UNTIL AFTER AN HOUR OR HOUR AND HALF AND I TOOK IT TO AN ELECTRITION HE DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT HE ALREADY CHECK IT WITH THE MACHINE THAT CHECKS THE ENGINE AND NOTHING COMES UP THEN WE HAVE TOOK IT TO 2 DIFFERENT MECHANICS AND THEY DID THE SAME THING AND NOTHING COMES UP I DONT KNOW WERE ELSE TO TAKE MY CAR NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT THEY PUT THE MACHINE AND IT COMES OUT THAT ITS IN PERFECT CONDITION BUT IT KEEPS TURNING OF WHEN IT TURNS OF IT SHOWS TO CHECK ENGINE AND THE LIGHT THAT SAYS IT DOSENT HAVE GAS TURNS ON EVEN WHEN THE TANK IS FULL BUT WE ALREADY CHANGE THE GAS PUMP SO ITS NEW PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT SOMETHING
  • jinstasijinstasi Posts: 10
    block the tires put in neutral climb under car and try to move drive shaft if it has play its your u-joints
    ECM ALSO CHECK FOR WATER LEAKS AROUND IT WHEN IT RAINS NEXT IF YOU REPLACE IT IT WILL JUST DIE AGAIN IF WATER LEAKS ON IT
    having same problem but im gonna try loading the connectors with dilectric grease see what happens tried this today as far as booting yur cat i ran mine for a year w/o cat it ran fine a little loud then i put highflow cat on w/flowmaster 40 series muffler sounds very mean now only cost 475 at local custom shop you should try that out w/ k&n filter kit really good sound anyway cat or no cat o2 sensor problem will not go away and your gas miles will still be crappy so idk :confuse:
  • without knowing more, right know it sounds like a fuel filter or something (dirt) maybe in the fuel line. check that, better yet start by replacing the fuel filter. Hope that helps
  • dodgeohdodgeoh Posts: 9
    Steelman4....what year is your Durango? Was your vehicle stalling just after start when cold? I have another observation....My 2005 somtimes when just started and put into reverse, will not move unitl gas is applied. Seems like it has to back-out over a large bump (takes effort). Other times, it acts like a normal car when put into reverse, and it starts to roll without any gas.

J
    cbr1...you ever fix this? I have a 2005 with the exact same issue. Sounds like exhaust rubbing but only when hitting the right bump or rough patch in the road. Been back to the dealer over and over and still no resolve.

J
  • steelman4steelman4 Posts: 4
    it is a 1999. and the stalling was more when cold, but also would do if hot(not as much). by cold or hot i mean if the vehicle had set overnight, and it was the first time starting. after getting to run, would do great, if you let set for 5 to 6 hrs, would stall, somtimes would do after and hour, gut not as much. what is your RPM's running, mine would drop to 500 from around 750. i am checking with a few others who have a durango, will check on your problem if ya like me to, just let me know.
    When you say "check on your problem"....what do you mean? Mine stalling has been almost always after sitting overnight. Usually backing out of the garage, and or shortly after making it to the road (my driveway is 700' long), when pulling out into traffic. Just stumbles for a split second, then dies. Always starts back-up and runs fine from there. I have filed paperwork for Ohio's lemon law. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

Thanks, for any help.
  • larry72larry72 Posts: 1
    1999 Dodge Durango 65,000 miles. When starting, there is a pinging or dinging noise from the engine area. Sounds like a bearing going out. When engine is warm, the noise goes away. Been in several times to dealer without finding the problem. Water pump has been eliminated as the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • lsk1974lsk1974 Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem. It sounded like I had written this post. The only thing is that I unplugged my battery and all this started. What did you do to resolve this issue? Everyone tells me to replace the unit.
  • :( I have had this 99 durango maybe 2 weeks and 1 1/2 weeks it was at the dealer I had Paid Cash After the Cash Switch Hands And all that blassa happened he said he was going to detail it for me since I was nice enough to Pay Straight out Cash! The next day he says it wont start sends it down to the mechanic and he says it just needed a new Battery, So get it home drive it for a half day Go to sleep wake up for church and No Juice! I used a voltage meter and could find nuthin myself excepted some dumming cant hook up a stereo So I re-installed it change every fuse Charged the battery And Go to work come home to Drive it Back DEAD PLEASE HELP

DODGE BITES
  • When making sharp turns the truck doesn't want to go and when it does go there is a low grinding, rubbing noise. the engine is fine it doesnt stall or anything. the right front tire also makes a sound like it's peeling out, like it's sliding across the pavement. I did check the power steering fluid and the level is fine. Please help.
  • Check engine light on, hard to read the codes. Running very rough at cold start and slight rough at other starts. Dodge kept it for a week..changed fuel pump, coil pack, powertrain(because they fried it)finally said carbon build-up problem. Completed emission cleanse and BG throttle, which had been done 6 months earlier. Drive it a week and let us know. Week to the day, engine light back on. They want to open the engine and clean my heads...?Now at local shop..motorvac engine..still scratching their heads. Airbag lights randomly comes on..scary! Called Dodge..recommended that we take it to another Dodge shop for a diagnosis..told us if they can't figure it out, they are sorry...they can't do anything.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh Any ideas????
  • so the CD player has stopped working in my durango.... the dealer wants to replace it the problem seems to be that there are CD's in the unit that will not come out and the unit will not except any CD's. any one have any other ideas other than replacing the unit?