Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks, I'll try that.
  • kenn5kenn5 Posts: 1
    ncdodgeowner, your posts are extremely informative and I appreciate them as they are the only help on the problem. I was wondering if you ever did document the whole proceedure and put it on a webpage and if so what is the address of that page?
    I did locate an oxygen sensor by-pass harness and have one on order. I need to identify the wires to the sensor in order to make the splices. Your information would by very helpful.
  • Okay First off six months ago my radio in my 2006 Durango would only come on about every 4 out of 10 times. You could cranked it and it would play then you stop and shut it off it would not play. After a number of times of cranking the radio would play again.

Now sometimes I go to crank it and it will not start, touch jumper cable to it and it start, that was a month ago. Thursday, I drove it to the store, radio was playing, got back in to start it and battery was dead and no radio. I was only in the store 5 mins.

Could it be a short in the radio or in the key switch?
  • emimemim Posts: 5
    Hi all.. I have a Dodge Durango 2006... I got the code P0432... Is this the 02 sensor? Where is the sensor located? Any detailed help would e greatly appreciated.. Thanks
  • I have a 98 Durango with a 318. There is no heat. The blower motors and vent selectors work fine. What would be the issue?
  • aray2aray2 Posts: 15
    Did you check the thermostat? It could also be the water pump. What does the temp gauge read when warmed up?
  • I had this problem. It is your heater core. Take it to a shop and ask to have the heater core backflushed. Should cost you like $40. Will blast heat after that.
  • When i turn the key on in my 2002 durango the drivers side window automatically rolls down anyone no why
  • mqmmqm Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a solution to this? I am having the same problem. Thanks
  • I have a 2001 dodge durango that's having trouble with this chicago winter. Besides being difficult to start, (and I've had regular maintainance), it now will not turn off! I parked outside my home, put the gear in park, braked and removing key as usual. ENGINE IS STILL RUNNING!! So the car is outside, running with no key. How can I quickly resolve this problem for tonight and what's going on here?

thanks for your advice! jk
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,287
    I guess, if you are *very* careful, you can take a towel, bunch it up and place it over the air intake, to starve the engine of air. It will stall, and then take off your battery cables. You have to be sure not to get the towel caught in a fan, etc, so be very careful.

Probably you could also block the exhaust, but this would take a while to work.

Or you could pull the fuel pump fuse !! (maybe the best idea of the bunch).

Of course, if it's a stickshift, just stall it in gear and then take off the cables.

This sounds like a defective ignition switch.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have a 2004 Dodge Durango with a 5.7 Hemi engine that needs replacing. I found a 5.7 Hemi engine that was in a 2009 Dodge Ram. The Ram has a displacement system but mine does not. Will I be able to use the Ram's engine in my Durango? If there is anyone that can help me i would really appreciate it.
  • I think that I way pass the problem of getting the heating core back flushed but I would like someone's opinion on that as well. I am currently experiencing radiator fluid on my driver side floor board and the mist coming out of the air vents. I would like to know if it is easier to take it to a mechanic or try to replace the heating core on my own like a diy project? I was told it was a 5 hour job, is this correct? Also I would like to know where the heating core is located in the 2000 Dodge Durango? Does this always go out on Dodge Durango? From my research are there two heater cores in the Dodge durango? What would the price of the labor be on a job such as this replacing the heating core? :cry: :sick:
  • My Durango is a 99,it sat for 3 years with no engine. I decided to fix it & I took it to a local shop.My uncle had been working on it & had a heart attack. The shop owner put in a used engine,and now it will not start. He had it for 3 weeks & called & stated its not firing. Is it expensive to rewire an suv, or is it even worth it? I have heard of guys buying salvaged cars & completely restoring them. How costly is this,please help someone. I'm in need of my spare truck & now I've spent 1400& still can not drive it?
    I realize that every mechanic has a bad day, but really, if he can't get a truck to start after 3 weeks, he should have called in some help. Unlike the mysteries of outer space, a truck engine is a knowable system that can be deciphered. Modern shops have all kinds of nifty diagnostic tools and on-line data resources.

In short, this is not a great performance. I do sympathize with the fact that some vehicles can drive a man crazy, but this is when you push harder for your customer and find the resources you need. You don't just give up.

• I am having some problems similar. Seems to start with 'trouble shifting up' in gears...(after my previous 2 transmission jobs)...on way home from a friends wake in another state. Then, it seemed the more I drove, the slower the engine would make me go...55....50....45....40 without shifting. Would have the sound it was 'trying' to. I have to admit, I AM HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!!! I WILL NOT do a 3rd transm job on this!!! I made myself THAT PROMISE after the 2nd in just 2yrs. I AM DONE!!!! Good luck
  • mkpjumpmkpjump Posts: 2
    2000 Dodge Durango V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 182000 miles

My vehicle overheated one evening, and I immediately pulled off the road. Coolant was leaking out after I pulled over and there was still considerable volume. I had the car towed and the radiator replaced. I picked the car up that evening and drove it about half a mile to my home, and it stalled as I pulled it into the garage. I had not had stall issues for 3 months since replacing the IAC module. The fuel was also running rich, which had not been doing prior to the radiator replacement. Any ideas on what could be wrong? No check engine lights, and I can detect only a minor change in the engine idle when I turned it back over (so slight that a very skilled mechanic would not notice the idle was off).
  • j_rj_r Posts: 2
    My 2000 is doing the same! I'm thinking the cat is plugged. I 'm waiting on a responce to my posting. I’m trying to find out if anyone has installed a tuned exhaust on a 2000 5.9 Durango, and removed the cat?? I’ve being told due to the sensor after the cat you can’t!! I’m not so sure about that!! Need help? Has any one tried it?
  • tmekatmeka Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2006 Durango. If you find any answers I would appreciate if she shared the knowledge.

Thanks in Advance,

Tmaka
  • jvillate01jvillate01 Posts: 2
    My 2003 Dodge Durango, 4.7 liters, V8 starts overheating after towing my 5,000 lb boat, for a period of 30 minutes. Iy has about 83,000 miles, but runs great when its not towing the boat. It only happens when I go a long distance. Can someone PLEASE tell me whats going on? :(
    So the boat is 5,000? or the boat + trailer. If you are towing 5K boat weight + trailer weight plus whatever is in the truck itself besides yourself, then you are pushing the limit of your truck's tow capacity and it's working too hard.

If the 5K includes boat trailer and truck cargo, then I'd suggest an aftermarket transmission cooler if you don't have one. If you do have one, you might have your radiator flow-tested.

Also check tire pressures carefully.

• jvillate01jvillate01 Posts: 2
    My 2003 dodge Durango's AC vent gates stick and it seems the AC control works. The AC blows hard, but I cannot change the vent direction from top to the bottom or other because if I do, it will not change back to blow forward it will stick in the position I change it to. One Chrysler dealer told me it cost $1,000 to fix (That it wasn’t under my extended guarantee), but I took it to another and they fixed it under the warranty. Now, it’s happening again. Any suggestions? I don’t know to trust the Chrysler dealer, first not to try and charge me and then that they will not fix it correctly. Does anyone know if this is covered under the Dealers extended guarantee? What is happening with the vents?
  • tlc391tlc391 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7 liter V-8 is getting no power to the fuel injector #6, how can i fix this?
  • The last time that happened to me it was a clogged ctatlytic converter. The **** thing went bad and clogged up my exhaust. Got a new one and all went well on that car. Sounds like you are having the same problem.
  • Sounds to me like you are overworking your engine. Does your D have the factory tow package? This package comes with additional coolers for the fluids. You can check it by calling the dealer and giving them your vin number. If not you can buy coolers from aftermarket everywhere. Just Google it.
  • jmr1125jmr1125 Posts: 2
    I was driving last night and it felt like the entire front end fell into a pot hole. I even looked behind me to see what happened. Then I realized that it was not the street, it was the engine then the emission light came on. The Durango did not make any bad noise, did not blow smoke, nothing leaked out of the bottom and the MANUAL said it was ok to keep driving ??? When you press on the gas pedal to move from a full stop, it really takes probably about 1/4 of the way to the floor to get it to move and the engine if revvving he whole time.
    I have the 100K warranty and brought it to my dealer - The vehicle has 66K and is at the dealership now - Anybody have any ideas what it might be?
  • catniprcatnipr Posts: 6
    My mechanic said that the P0700 code is the "Transmission Control Module". He wants to charge me 345.00 to replace it. My check engine light is not coming on anymore, however, the code is still there. My mechanic said the module might be malfunctioning. He said to drive the car as long as the check engine light isn't coming on, but I will need to eventually replace the part. This isn't going to hurt my transmission or engine will it?

I've gone to Kragen, Auto Zone, and looked on line for this part to see if I can get it cheaper and no one carries it. Could it be that my car doesn't have one or is this a dealer part only. My car is a 4.7 liter 2000 Dodge Durango SLT.
    Everyone is jumping the gun here. Computer trouble codes do NOT tell you which part is defective. No computer can do that (yet). The Trouble Code (DTC) is only telling the mechanic to check further into the TCM circuit----first he should check each wire in the TCM harness for a good ground---if there is a weak or no light with his test light, then it's a harness issue, not a TCM issue.

The TCM might have an internal problem or it might not. The DTC should be erased from the computer and then everyone should wait to see if it comes back on the engine light. If it does, then the first thing is to do the appropriate diagnostics on the plug that connects to the TCM, to see if there is a bad ground in this circuit.

Otherwise, you'll be blowing hundreds of dollars for nothing.

• catniprcatnipr Posts: 6
    The mechanic did check the wiring harness and there were no problems found. How do you erase the the DTC? The check engine light is not on after he replaced the transmission speed sensor but the P0700 code still comes up. I will have the mechanic check the plug to the TCM.

Would this also fix the problem that he said he did a diagnostic Steps 1-3 and step 7 and found when in drive or reverse, input RPM's go to "0" and when in park or neutral, RPM's are okay?
    Okay.

The code is erased with the scan tool.

I don't really understand your other comment, sorry.