Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• did you ever get this problem fixed? I have the same problem on my 05 durango. once I changed the battery the cargo door and the tire pressure indicators came on
  • My durango recently started drinking gas, I calculated about 7mpg. I have no idea what could be causing this.
  • Holy crap! How does it run?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Is the engine light on? Something is causing it to run rich, quite often an O2 sensor problem.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    If you live in or near DC and have had fuel spitback issues with your car, please email pr@edmunds.com before Monday, February 28, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter. Please include your daytime contact information and the year, make and model of your car.
  • I am trying to replace the neutral safety switch on a 99 Dodge Durango....would anyone know exactly where it is located on the vehicle....Thanks.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    which engine?

2WD or 4WD?
  • I have a 2000 5.9 hemi Durango and am having a vacuum problem. The check engine light indicates either a speed sensor issue or a vacuum seal issue, but when I accelerate the check engine light blinks and the truck is very sluggish. My gas mileage has plummetted. Anyone have any ideas how I can remedy this using my average joe tools and regular house garage?
  • megan99megan99 Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    :confuse: New and hoping to get help. Searched to see if anyone had a similar problem but haven't found any postings. I own a 2001 Dodge Durango (SLT Plus, 4.7L, V8, 4WD) and never had a big problem with it until just a few months ago when the wipers, interior/exterior lights, autolocks, and horn started going off on their own. Not all at once but like one after the other. Took it to the Dealer and they said it was the latch switch to the Tail Gate (back door) that "the computer thinks it's open and so it's causing all these problems." So they replaced the switch and charged me $515; But the car is still having the same problems so I brought it back and now their saying that it needs two other switches replaced and a new BCM and that it'll cost me $660 on top of the $515 I already paid. I felt ripped off. So I took it to another Dodge Dealer for a 2nd opinon and they said the BCM is dead and needs to be replaced and they'll do everything for $585 (part, labor & tax) and once installed and programmed, they'll retest for other possible issues. Because I didn't know who to believe, I went to a third person, a mechanic who specializes in eletrical issues. He says that all these symptoms lead to one thing....the BCM. That once replaced, all these issues will disappear. I've read in other Dodge forums that my problem really lies in the BCM. So, I'm inclined to believe that this is the real issue. I've also learned that this part is very expensive. The Mechanic said the part alone cost $650, $320 for his labor and diagnostic charge, plus tax. So now I'm between a rock and a hard place b/c, although, the 2nd Dodge Dealer's diagnostic sounds right and is cheaper, who's to say they won't turn around and attempt to rip me off just like the 1st Dealer did. And I can't go with the Mechanic b/c he's too expensive. If anyone has gone through a similar problem, your thoughts and advise will be very much appreciated. Thanks! :confuse:
  • saint6saint6 Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 1999 5.9L mag durango and I'm having an issue. While driving out of town we pulled over after smelling burning oil and seeing smoke from under the car. After the smoke cleared and it cooled down I looked under the durango and I could see tons of oil spray all over... Sooo obviously being out of town I freaked out and was worried we wouldn't make it back. At some point we just decided to finish the trip to the destination and could still smell the oil but never had smoke again and also after the 300+ miles we had to put on the durango to finish the trip had never (and still havent) any oil hit the ground while idle and or parked. I should also add that we never had to add oil. That being said I checked all other fluid levels and took it to a shop to get expert advice. Upon speding an hour and a test drive on the durango the mechanic told me that we were leaking tons of oil and if it wasnt leaving puddles it would be now and told me that his best guess was the rear main seal but without adding dye and a good undercarrage steam clean he coulnd't be sure.... Well to date we have not added oil and have not left puddles, drops, or any oil under the durango but still get a horrid oil smell.. I would like some ideas as to what this may be. One other person looked at it told me that he doubts it's a rms because it would be leaking like crazy and he said it's more likely that the head is leaking from the back of the seal.
  • For everybody that has a 2000 Durango and is having a hard time with the start and idoling, all you need is a Air Charged Temperature Sensor. It cost 25.00 and it is sold at Advanced Auto Parts for sure, Auto Zone doesn't carry it at all. SO STOP SPENDING ALL THAT UNNECESSARY MONEY ON ALL THOSE OTHER PARTS. THIS IS THE PART TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!! YAYYYYY!!!!!!
  • i had this problem with my 02 durango...it only happened when the headlighs were on though...i pulled the relay fuse and left it out for a day or 2...and it has never happened again. hope i helped...
  • tp11tp11 Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 dodge durango that makes that EXACT noise. WOndering if you ever figured out why it does that. I am also having problems with it idleing rough whenever I go through the car wash or it rains. ANybody know why??
  • 79cj579cj5 Posts: 7
    This is my oldest sons car. As it turned out, he ran it out of gas multiple times and refused to admit it. There was some trash in the fuel lines; but the main problem was air in the lines. I removed the air by depressing the valve on the fuel rail, ( it looks like an air valve on your car tire), it's around your carb/throttle body. I kept it pressed down until I had a steady flow of fuel only, no air gaps. I had to turn my engine over a few times to rebuild the fuel pressure in lines.
    I don't know if this will help you, but it only takes a second to find out if there is air in your lines. Don't purge the line over grass, it will kill that section of your lawn.
  • dmack0007dmack0007 Posts: 1
    I have a 5.2L 2000 Dodge Durango. I tried to drive it yesterday, and it cut out at the stop sign before I left my neighborhood. I can start it; it turns over and starts fine, but as soon as I take my foot off the gas and it decelerates to idle speed, it cuts out. I can't even drive it. There was no check engine light or anything. Where should I start?
  • I am experiencing the same problem when I tow a trailer. I just ordered a new Timbren Bump Stops to replace the stock bump stops. These new ones are longer and have a progressive overload spring inside. Instead of the unloaded bump stops being 4" off the axle these should be about 1/2" to 1" off the axle. When I connect the trailer with the Equil-i-zer hitch the back end goes down about 2 - 2 1/2". Therefore, in theory, the new bump stops should engage the entire time I'm towing. I'm hopeful this is a good fix or I'm going to have to buy a bigger truck! I'll let you know how it works out. Here is the link. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7540
  • wturnswturns Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT WITH MY BACK HATCH. DID YOU FIND THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM
  • Did you end up getting it fixed? I have a 2001 Durango that started doing that 2 months ago. It stopped for a while started again. When the horn went off for no reason I pulled out the fuse. This week it started again, spazzing out, wipers going off, warning bell, flickering lights. When it stopped, it returned to normal, but now the headlights don't turn on (the dash doesn't even dim), the interior lights don't turn on and no power locks. the rear wiper is stuck in it's position and the front wipers only work when turned on their highest setting. Is that similar to what happened with yours? Mechanically everything works great. I was wondering if it was the BCM or just a short in the wiring. Did it cost $980 in the end?
  • robpirogrobpirog Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have a 99 Durango 5.9L V8. Whenever I've been driving it for a while, it will start hunting/jumping between 3-4 gear. I know I have a misfire on cylinder 3, and have recently replace the ignition coil and throttle position sensor. I have also adjusted the throttle valve cable. It feels like once something gets to a certain temperature, the transmission keeps jumping in and out of overdrive.
    I have experimented actually turning off the overdrive when this happens, and it seems to take care of it (there is still some very very sporatic hunting that goes on). I also experimented with letting cruise control take over the other day, and that seemed to elimintate it all together (that was for about the remaining 12 or so miles remaining on my daily commute. I'm going to try it again for as much of the commute as I can; 32 miles).
    I noticed in some other posts, that some folks had the same situation but it was happening more with cruise control on.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on my particular circumstances? Help!!!
  • toltectoltec Posts: 1
    On my way home i smelled something funny and noticed my car was smoking. I opened up the hood and noticed that the coil pack on cylinder 1 had busted open on the opposite side of the connections. I thought it was oil but looking at it closer it was melted plastic or rubber.

I went out and purchased another coil pack from the dealership today and installed it. I let the engine run for about 5 minutes and the same thing happened.

Why is this happening? How do i fix the issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated cause i don't know too much about engine repair.

Thanks.