Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alexis2alexis2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Durango and a couple weeks ago the headlights and inside lights started flickering and then last week they did it again and then they went out for good along with my automatic door locks, radio controls (that are on the steering wheel) windsheid wipers and probbaly some other things have just stopped working??? I dont get it... is it an electrical problem, alterator problem, computer problem??? Does anyone know?
  • fly19382fly19382 Posts: 1
    Sometimes after a long drive the tail lights on my 98 Durango 5.9 L will not go out unless I disconnect the battery. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solves the problem. Any ideas about what causes this and how to fix it? Also, about how much does the repair cost? Directions on how to do it myself? Thanks for your help.
  • julie11julie11 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango. Died on me 3 years ago on the freeway, almost got myself killed trying to safely manuever over to the side of fwy. Diagnosis: Engine seized due to losing oil pressure. Cost almost $6K as it was, of course, just out of warranty. This thing had been babied--oil changes every 3 months, the works. Then 1 year ago, it died on me AGAIN on the freeway. Diagnosis? Needed a new transmission--cost me almost $2K. Then, 2 months ago, on the way to Disneyland for a family trip, engine died ONCE AGAIN!!! Diagnosis? NEEDS ANOTHER NEW ENGINE--Hole in piston! I decided to NOT put another cent in this moneypit, even though I LOVE the Durango! Spent last 2 days looking at new vehicles, against my better judgement decided to check out a 2006 Durango since they are really giving out smokin' deals to move the inventory. Seriously thought about buying it. I thought that since it was redesigned and had a HEMI, that it was a totally different vehicle. Well, I didn't budge on my price, because if I'm going to buy another Durango, it would have be an INCREDIBLE deal, and the dealer didn't want to come down, so I walked. SO GLAD I DID!! After doing hours of research on the net about the new Durango and the problems everyone has been having, I am ecstatic that I didn't cave in and buy one. Plus, 14 mpg gas mileage? Geez! It's the Toyota RAV4 for me. Much better warranty--gas mileage is 24 mph in the city. Dodge powertrain warranties USED to be 7yr/70K, now they are only 3yr/36K for powertrain. There's a reason for that! They were losing too much money with all the dang repairs! They don't stand behind their products. Toyota powertrain warranty is 5 yr/60K. The RAV4 is smaller, but does come with a 3rd seat option, and it looks good. Drove one today and that thing is quick! The minute I left the Dodge dealership, I was happy that I didn't make the same mistake again. If I bought another Durango after what I've been through, then hell, I would need my head examined! The Durango IS beautiful, and is a great ride--WHEN IT WORKS!!!! I hope you all have better luck than I did. My suggestion--get rid of it at the first sign of problems, because it only gets worse, and the manufacturer will not stand behind their product. I hope other Durango owners love how it looks on the road, because it's going to cost you a fortune to keep it there.
  • howardc44howardc44 Posts: 8
    I have a 99 Durango and had the same problem. Found out that my front ball bearings were shot. Went to Auto Zone and picked up a whole new Hub assembly kit for $170.00 and fixed the problem.

Cindy
    99 Dodge Durango - Will start but won't stay running. Have not had this problem before. First time. Unplugged the battery to clear the brain. Reconnected and it started and ran. Checked it periodically this weekend, but did not drive it. This a.m. it started, but again won't stay running. Any suggestions? Checked starter, fuel pump, and alternator.

Cindy
  • Hi, can someone help me, my 2002 Dodge Durango with 39140 miles, that I purchased used, one year ago now needs a new air conditioner. The other day I went to turn it on and it has worked this season, it made a weird noise, when it was on max air and the fan dial was on. I immediately began to play with the knobs, but nothing. No cold air, but no hot air either. I contacted a few people (not professionals, just friends) to see what they thought. One said take it and have a recharge done. So today I did, I took it to PEP BOYS and they did a A/C Performance Check (Ultrviolt Quick check) then they did a DELUXE A/C Recharge, well then they telephoned me and said it seemed to work then stop, and that they would write me up a quote to fix it (roughly around $1400.00). I have an appt with the Dodge Dealer tomorrow for yet another diagnostic and everyone said DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, because they are too costly. Well Pep Boys didn't seem to keen on doing an air conditioner and the man said that it seemed like something was stuck like maybe dirt??? Can someone please help and guide me in the right direction. I did a query search and it seems like Durango Air Compressors rund around $400 on up? Where in the world would PEP Boys come up with a figure like $1400.00? Please someone knowledgeable. It is difficult when you are a woman who knows nothing about cars. I am leaving with my children on June 30, 2006 from MA, driving back to AZ (home) and there is no way I can drive all that way without air conditioner. Any/all suggestions on how to repair my vehicle and know what to ask for and cost would be greatly appreciate.
  • dlewis88dlewis88 Posts: 2
    When the crank sensor has gone out, has anyone noticed if the tachometer or any other gauges moved or didn't move when the truck stalled? A buddy of mine has been having the same problem as described in other posts that talked about the "No Bus" code. When his stalls, the tachometer stays at about 700 or 800 RPMs, but the engine is not running. Is this symptom linked to the Crank Sensor problem? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may be able to get some helpful tips and advice in Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • jtpd228jtpd228 Posts: 1
    Hey...looking for some help. My 01 Durano droppd all of its coolant in my brother-in-law's driveway after driving about 3 miles. The coolant all came out near where the trans meets the motor underneath. I could track it anyfurther than that to see where it was leaking from. Someone suggested freeze out cap, but that's not a common problem and I hope it wasn't that. Any ideas?
  • vette6vette6 Posts: 2
    The (Ecm) Engine control module is possibly bad. if you have been jumping the truck with the cables. It may have cause the problem. so it should be replaced. :) :cry: image
    Time for me to feel like a dummy. I pulled spark plugs, boy were they black. So changed the spark plugs, wires, also changing the distributor and rotor too. Had to get a new battery and it fired right up. So I am going to put the diagnostic on it again and see what it says now. I have only jumped someone twice since I have owned the truck. Don't like to do that very often. Thanks for the advice. Will also check out the module to make sure. I try to do all the maintenance myself. Don't trust too many people with my durango so I have learned as much as possible about it.

Cindy :blush:
  • vette6vette6 Posts: 2
    start truck up has oil pressure, drive it a few feet and no oil pressure and engine make noise. it's a 2000 durango 4.7 engine
    Had a problem with power steering sensor truck would not run but replace it and it ran fine. My concern is the oil pressure and oil pump. what is wrong dealers do not know. :sick: :confuse: :mad:
  • tinkerertinkerer Posts: 13
    I wired mine in by tapping into the tail light harness. To get to it, I lifted the accessory storage where the jack and handles are kept, and reached under the plastic panel on the drivers side. The harness is tucked in there and you can tap into it for your trailer plug. From there, you have 2 options: You can drill out from the accessory well to wire in a permanent plug or if you just tow occasionally and only need a pigtail, you can just leave it hanging in the well and hang it out the tailgate when you need it.
  • redman337redman337 Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 durango 4x4. as i'm driving it feels as if the wind is pushing the truck from one side to the other, even when there is no wind at all. seems like something must be loose. any ideas?
  • playballplayball Posts: 1
    My 2003 Durango is doing the exact same thing. Have you figured out what it was yet? Please say you did. I went to the dealership, and they were no help. They just wanted me to leave it there for an expensive diagnostic test.

I would greatly appreciate your response.

Thank you,
    Scott
  • Hello
    I have a 2002 durango. When I put my vents on a/c or heat it comes through the defrost no matter what panel I have it on. (it comes out slowly out of the panels when on panels) Is this something that I can fix myself? Any suggestions on why it is doing this or how to fix it? Thanks ~
  • enpgoenpgo Posts: 1
    Hi -
    I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that has stalled several times in the last two weeks and also would not accelerate luckily it has been around town, or when I back up will barely move but it does very slowly. I had it completely checked out at a reputable auto repair shop - 49,700 miles out of warranty. They did a complete diagnostic test, checked the battery which was 3 years old, pulled up some codes P0456, P0442,P0443, P0340 and after thorough investigation for leaks etc.- They told me that I had to bring to dealer to reflash the PCM because they did not have the updated software. The fun begins I bring to the dealer we drove it there no problems etc., they claim the battery is dead and had to replace there were no problems with the battery even though it is 3 years old, the post was broke well if it was broke I would not have been able to drive it there. They claim that the new battery will cure the stalling problem even though the check engine light is still on with code P0443 still showing up unfortunately the other shop cleared previous codes so they did show up at the dealer. Any suggestions or similar problems with fixes. I would love some help - this is my family car with young children as passengers and we are going on a long road trip soon!

Thank you.
    ">
  • 35cents35cents Posts: 2
    Another stalling Durango - mine is a '99 with 138,000 miles. It stalls like the fuel line has been cut (still cranks), with NO BUS as the odometer reading. After sitting for about 5 minutes, it starts just fine. After reading another post, I changed the Crank Position Sensor, and it died again a few days later. Calling the dealer, they said it sounded like an ignition problem, an auto electric shop thought it was maybe a fuel relay or pump. With the NO BUS coming up, the one guy who worked on it thought it might be the main computer, but couldn't get it to duplicate the problem in the shop. I amy just replace the computer, any advise on buying a used one (or how much is a new one)? Any other advise?
  • jjcroce3jjcroce3 Posts: 3
    I have a 99 4x4 5.9 liter durango. A few weeks ago i was driving and it just stalled out. it started agian pretty quick. It was the first hot day here. then about two weeks later on a hot day i stopped for an apt. it would not start. I waited 30 minutes and it cranked right up. then 30 minutes later died agian while driving. everything else was working fine and it would turn over but not crank. So I sat in the middle of the road for about 10 minutes in rush hour and it just started right up finally. it has been in the shop ever since with no luck at finding anything or replicating issue. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • zaxmomzaxmom Posts: 2
    I had this happen to me Saturday!!!!!!!!!
    With my two small children with me an hour away from home. I paid the $150 tow bill and my vehicle is sitting in the dealership lot as I type. They say it may not be until tomorrow before they can even look at it! I was traveling 65 mph, lost power, guages dropped to 0, pulled over waited an hour in 93 degree heat with my kids. I had no warning and was lucky to be in the right lane to get the the emergency lane. I can only imagine what I am going to hear! I appreciate any suggestions or input. I saw the PCM comment, even the tow guy said sounds electrical lets just take you to a dealer! :cry: Please help!!!!