Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Coupe vs. Scion tC

Comments

• What the Civic, TC, and for that matter the Eclipse have in common is that they are 2 door coupes. The differences vary from engine size to weight. The civic is a lighter car with a tuned transmission that produces higher MPG's. The difference in weight is the greatest factor in better gas mileage. If you are an aggressive driv er that mileage advantage will not occurr. If you care about ride quality the added weight of the TC is a plus since the body will provide a more solid feel.

The difference in fuel cost is not that significant between the TC and Civic in realistic conditions. We have both cars in my house hold.

Both cars are first rate and it comes down to personal taste.

Regarding the comment on tires in the winter, no low profile regular tire is good in snow. For that you need real snow tires (all weather tires is a marketing not performance designation).
  • Regarding the comment on tires in the winter, no low profile regular tire is good in snow. For that you need real snow tires (all weather tires is a marketing not performance designation).

I didn't see a comment about snow tires, just tire size :confuse:

And with tire size, usually the larger the wheel and the lower the profile of tire, the cost goes up.

For example, a 215/65 16 tire will likely be cheaper than a 215/50 17 tire.
  • I do not agree with the statement that "Fuel cost is not that significant between the TC and the Civic in realist conditions."

If you have one driver with a specific driving style (fast/slow or smooth/wild), the car's miles per gallon should be the difference in fuel cost (not the driver). If multiple people with multiple driving styles drive the same 2 cars, then you will not be able to see the difference.

If you follow the owner's manual on how to maximize your MPG, you will definitely see the 10 MPG difference that the Honda Civic has on the Scion TC (40 MPG Highway compared to 30 MPG Highway with an automatic DX). Also, the Scion TC can be deceptive in its MPG because it has a larger fuel tank than the Civic (14.5 compared to 13.2).

When it is compared on looks alone, the Scion TC is a clear cut winner in my opinion!
  • doan4udoan4u Posts: 105
    "tC has keyless entry; LX doesn't."
    False, LX has keyless entry, mine do :P

"tc has one touch power up and down driver and passenger windows; LX has only driver one touch up and down."
    False, Driver have both, mine do :shades:

"LX has side airbags standard; tc doesn't."
    True, plus the front, and corner panel :D

"Putting these things on an LX or upgrading to EX puts the price of Civic well above price of tC"
    True and False, Mine was less than tC, base on the price online :)

Plus: foglight, auxilary jack, mud guard, 12 cd changer (add labor/cost for $400), courtesy light, sirius radio, navigation systems (add myself for $300), custom fit door handle light ($10) :shades:

tC is not a bad looking car. My cousin drive a tC. The two good thing I see that my car doesn't have was the sunroof, alloy wheel :cry:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    "tc has one touch power up and down driver and passenger windows; LX has only driver one touch up and down."
    False, Driver have both, mine do

I'm afraid you didn't understand this part, as my dad has an EX (2007 Sedan) and even it only has driver auto up/down, not passenger side as well.

Everything else is right.
  • Most car people I know will tell anyone the Scion TC looks way better than the Honda Civic, and a little bit better than the Civic Si. This census of opinions stays consistent with the interior and exterior of the Scion TC. It is a clear cut winner in terms of looks and flash, in my opinion.

When it comes to performance, the regular Civic (DX-EX) outperforms the Scion TC in breaking distance, turning radius, miles per gallon, and reliability. The only exception is in Horsepower (160 to 140). When compared to the more expensive Civic Si, it is out performed in every department.

I have not heard anything positive from consumer reports mentioning reliability with the Scion TC. You do with the Honda civic.

http://www.consumerreports.org:80/cro/cars/pricing/best-worst-in-car-reliability- -1005/best-worst-models/index.htm
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    I myself was interested in the tc, but as subjective as looks are, you have to realize that the tc is part of a brand that is suppossed to offer a lot of bang for your buck, and although i don't think its a bad car, i think that the only think i like better about it than the civic is the backseat room. But that is it. I think the civic looks much better. (little lip spoiler? Does the tc even come with one standard? Lip spoilers arent meant to be flashy.). I also enjoy the enterior quality of materials much more, they feel a lot more upscale. The tc's are even more common too; they seem to appeal to a much wider demographic that has little knowledge of what the competion offers (hence some of the silly unbased posts earlier in this thread), therefore they are much more common; i realize the civic is a civic and you will see plenty of them, but the tc is so overdone i could never drive it. I'd take the civic anyday.
  • The comparison here should be between the tc and civic ex coupe. Yes MSRP is higher on the civic but check the true cost to own. Ex comes with in $400 of the tc over five years. Something to consider.

Civic EX coupe 5 speed A/T $40,111
    TC 4 speed A/T $39,788
    Civic LX coupe 5 speed A/T $35,633
  • nifabnifab Posts: 7
    I am a female, interested in purchasing a 2007 Scion TC Manual Trans. My present car is a 1991 ACURA Integra LS, Manual, 225K, w/the original factory-installed clutch. I am trying to find a model with an Integra’s handling, reliability, and ability to go the distance, considering my price range (18K). I thought a new Scion TC would be a better investment and more worry-free than a used car, considering my traveling distances and safety needs.

I went for a test drive, & was surprised by the TC's difficulties I had shifting (ie. getting into gear), partic. downshifting in an emergency stop. The 2nd issue was merging into traffic due to the obstructed left window view (do drivers no longer worry about blind spots?).

I think I know how to drive a manual, considering the age of my clutch. I heard there is a big transition in going from a Honda to a Toyota manual. Therefore I do not know if my difficulties driving the Scion were due to this transition/myself, or due to the Scion’s transmission design.

From the posts it sounded as though it was easy to burn through clutches during the break-in prd. Should I worry about that? Can someone answer these questions, and provide the correct way to drive a Toyota manual and how to avoid damaging the engine via revving as well as the clutch due to the learning curve?

I am certain there is someone out there who can get me on the right foot with the Scion. I would hate to cross her off the list bc I drove her incorrectly.

Tx so much for your help!
  • The driver-side blind spot isn't a problem -- the driver's window is all you need to get a clear view of the blind spot, assuming I guess that you don't sit too far back (incidentally, the side-view mirrors in any car should be adjusted so that you can just barely see (the edge of) your car). (The driver's side rear window is much too small to be of any use for checking the blind spot, but in the average user's case this rear window would be completely unnecessary).

If it was a real emergency, why would you bother downshifting? Why not apply the brakes and then apply the clutch when the engine gets down to 1000 rpm?

The tC has been my first manual transmission and I'm generally satisfied with the shifting.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Glad you found the dedicated Scion tC discussion - that's the best place to have this conversation. Here's a link for anyone who can help: nifab, "Scion tC" #1786, 6 Jan 2007 7:27 pm
    I do apply the brakes, then downshift, but it's the downshifting that pulls me back. I am in a 1991 Integra, no ABS, vtec engine, airbags..and ofcourse coffee holder (what I want most):-). I am petite so I have to move the seat all the way up so I can reach the clutch, which chg the window perspective. I use my rear window for parrallel parking (full view in an Integra). I use my left window (ie. look back myself to see road as taught in driver's ed.) to confirm I can pass or merge into traffic. The entire left view is obstructed in a TC, as reported by Edmunds. 2 POINTS: I was informed in other forums that: 1) Many owners have been experiencing this and actually there is a mj. pblm w/ the synchronizers, leading to gear grinding etc.; apparently Scion knows this as they had to replace a lot of these transmissions, but problems continue. 2) Owners also told me that Toyotas are known for blind spots (in comparison to Acura/Honda). I am glad to hear that your manual was untouched by transmission problems. I was sad that I have to give up on the Scion, but I am new to NJ, and reliant on a car, which is why I decided to buy a new car (ie. the "worry-free" upside). Thanks so much for your reply.
    Since this is also a Civic forum, I'll ask...

Have you test-driven a Civic coupe?
    This thread is actually posted in the ScionTC forum; so I did not realize it originated w/ the Civic group. I am going to try the LX (surprized the sunroof isn't std on the EX) & the Honda FitSport, but pretty difficult coming from an Integra. The Fit is cute & the space is great (more than the Civic in fact), but I don't know if she is really meant for highway or long distance driving; my impression was that the Fit was meant for city driving. I would have to try the LX; I don't know how she handles, nor she will respond to all those Toyotas out there running me off the road bc I'm in there blindspot...:-)
  • Regarding the blind spots -- now I think I realize what some tC reviewers are talking about. It's true, I've also noticed the "blind spots", come to think of it, but they're the blind spots created by the pillars on the sides of the windshield (forgot what they're called), not so much the blind spots one watches out for when changing lanes (i.e., the blind spots in the rear/sides of the car). I've gotten used to it.

I thought that the tC has quite good reviews on the shifting/transmission. Hadn't heard anything about grinding gears or manufacturer recalls...

I didn't quite understand you when you said "...it's the downshifting that pulls me back" in reference to braking/downshifting. When I downshift, I always rev match so that there's no jerk of the car, and the car slows down quicker of course because of the increased resistance that comes with being in a lower gear (or else I might downshift to speed up, in which case I get better acceleration from being at a more favorable point along the torque curve, peak torque is at 4000 rpm). I might very well also apply the brakes at the same time (in the lower gear) to slow down, and may downshift again. It's fun. Sometimes I approach a light and downshift through the gears with rev-matching and no jerk of the car (and no sudden deceleration, the whole process is very very smooth) and apply the brakes for the first time when I'm at like 3 mph (at which point I would depress the clutch and shift from second or first, as the case may be, into neutral. It's supposed to be better to stay in neutral at stoplights and off the clutch than to have first gear selected and the clutch pressed in, slightly better for the car).
  • Hitting the brakes for the first time at 3 mph (when coming to a stop) is probably in first gear, and it was an estimate (I wait until the revs get down to 1000 before applying the clutch when coming to a stop, no matter what gear I'm in). The higher the gear you're in, the faster you'll be going when you get down to 1000 rpm. In second gear it might be more like 5 or 6 mph at 1000 rpms. In fifth gear I think it's like 15 or 20. I'm only mentioning these things for people who might be reading this and just learning how to drive a stick... (I've only been driving a manual for three months now so it's all still new and somewhat exciting to me so I like to share).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, this discussion appears in both the Civic and the tC groups. You'll find that to be the case with all comparison discussions. BTW, welcome! :)
  • I actually did two back-to-back testdrives of the tC and Civic. The first time was with friend that tried automatic versions of the tC and Civic EX coupe. He ended up buying the tC because it was cheaper and offered more features (EX coupes were going for MSRP at the time). I agreed with his decision because it's nice to have the tC's torque when you're driving an automatic. I was also pretty impressed with the tC's build quality and standard features.

Recently, I've started car shopping for myself and I went to testdrive manual versions of the tC and Civic LX. I care more about handling than features so I approached the testdrive differently than the previous one. I tried the tC first and was very disappointed at the transmission. It was rough and hard to shift smoothly. Also, the engine had good grunt at low RPMs but lost steam at higher RPMs. Feeling a bit let down, I headed over to the Honda dealership and tried a manual Civic LX. I immediately fell in love with the Civic package. Steering was sharp and the steering wheel had a nice weighted feeling to it. The shifter was just awesome. I could immediately make buttery-smooth shifts.

So my conclusion is:
    Automatic Transmission -> Scion tC
    Manual Transmission -> Any Civic
    I am going to try the LX (surprized the sunroof isn't std on the EX) & the Honda FitSport, but pretty difficult coming from an Integra.

Actually, the sunroof IS standard on the EX (which is the top-model), but not available on the LX, and not offered on the Fit. You are right when you say the Fit was meant as a city car, but there is nothing that would hamper it taking 1,000 miles at a time. The only thing is that it has shorter gearing, which means it will rev higher at speed than a Civic will, which may get annoying to you. Best of luck, and keep us updated on your search for your next vehicle!
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I drove the automatic Tc looking for a coupe for good MPG and fun.I did not like the way the throttle responded after
    exiting a turn and the sales guy said because of emission
    controls you have to drive it gently.Wrong answer!Across the street was the Honda dealer so I dropped into to see
    if they had any Civics and they did.I drove it and was blown away with the package.Sure it needs more torque but
    you have a choice of leaving it in D and get 30 mpg or drop down to D3 and operate where the torque is.The only problem is I expected my wife to drive it but she does not like
    it because of her long legs and when parking in the parking structure at work she can not open the door wide enough.
This discussion has been closed.