Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Coupe vs. Scion tC

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    dont feel bad ken, you made the right choice!
  • toshi1toshi1 Posts: 1
    I know that turbo set up for the si is nice but i have to dis agree. At the time my tc just had a borla exhaust on it and i ate a 05 si at a 1/4 mile track a few times and it had I/H/E. Everyone know that was hondas step child but they do handle alot better than a tc. In my opinion get the new si for racing because with cams full exhaust intake and A/F management those have run low 14s with 220hp. Still you come out more expensive than a turbo tc but you will have a more reliable caily criver. On the other hand for a daily driver i couldnt deal with the tourqueless monster the si was. I test drove one and i got tired of downshifting to pass cars on the high way and when vtec kicks in i love the destinctive sound but its too loud compared to the predesesors. Im getting the best of both worlds though. My tc has a little go but nothing to brag about at all but then im building a 2000 gsr right now which stock beats the tc by about a car and some change. Tc's not a race car but if you put in the wrench time it can be easy. Just up to you if you want to boost your DD and worry about the countless problems you could run into if you're not FI inclined. Thats my $.02
    the 05 si was nothing to write home about. it had the worst applied k20 ever. Great for a regular civic, bad for a car that says its the 'sport' version.

I agree that honda built the new si with tuners predominately in mind, thats why it doesnt' do so amazing in stock form other than the great handling.

Here we go with the vtec kicking in. Yes there are cam stages, but vtec is not totally inatctive like on the b series engine that your gsr probably has. Vtec is pretty much dead until it kicks in in the higher rpm ranges; i-vteck works differently. It has stages, but is always there.
  • fragofrago Posts: 2
    Been really looking at these two vehicles but have yet not be able to drive a TC. The dealer cannot keep them in stock , all are pre oprdered.
    Driven the Civic coupe and it was shockingly horrible. Never owned a Honda so I guess I dont share the fanboy goggles as some others.
    The interior of the Civic is horrid. The dash is bigger than an old ford aerostar minivan and the windshield laid just as flat. In my opinion they completely destroyed the Civic interior and the exterior is nothing great either. That two tier dash is the absolute most ridiculous looking thing Ive ever seen in a car. Even the Xb funky dash blows it away.
    When I was done with the test drive I ran away as fast as I could. That car is just hideous, and seels on nameplate alone.
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    to each his own. Some of us just are better judges of design....

dealers here have tons of TCs. Heavily discounted.
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    kenlw- you're mistaken, there are no "heavily discounted" Scions. It's a pure price, no haggling, like Saturn is.

Might want to check the facts before you say things that are not true.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Ok, so you don't like the Civic interior. What did you think of the "DRIVE" part of your test drive, or could you not get past the dash?
  • vvileyvviley Posts: 46
    I think that it might be more clear if you were more specific about *what* is always there. I was under the impression that the valve lift is set up in stages (until A-VTEC comes out), but that the timing of the camshaft is what was continuously adjusted.
    you just described ivtec. If the timing of the camshaft is continusously adjusted, it has to always be engaged to do so.

With b series vtec it doesn't do that until you are revving the engine up until its peak powerband.

i vtec may have stages, but its still working in low rpms. With older vtec is limited to the right side of your tach.
    seels on namplate alone huh? Sorry, although the world is composed of various idiots, many of them DONT drive civics.

If the civic is so horrible, why is the Tc a hack job? Hmm...someone has no idea what they are talking about. :P

The aerostar comparsion was cute, but totally inaccurate.

The dash in the xb being way better? For someone who dislikes polarizing dash designs, i'm suprised a guage mounted TOTALLY out of your natural line of sight was appealing at all. :blush:
    Ok... I think I'm finally on the same page as you. Sometimes differing views on how to use a word makes comprehension difficult.
    no haggle pricing doesn't mean there aren't discounts applied. It just means that the discounts are clearly marked and anyone can get them. Without haggling.

It's called a SALE.....geesh
    It's called a SALE.....geesh

:)
    hey thats true.
  • iomaticiomatic Posts: 48
    I've never understood people down-shifting to pass with an Si. I guess I'm always in the upper band, predetermining passing (i.e., being a perceptive driver).

All I do is step on the gas and pass. Everyone.

Sigh.
    Generally, I'm not a fan of cruising along crowded surface streets and highways with my engine spinning at 5k waiting for a golden opportunity to pass. Sometimes it's just more suitable to cruise in at a lower rpm and then shift and punch it when you have your moment.
    agreed. But your post was funny io!

its nice to just step on it and pass. :)
    according to data on their respective sites:

Apr 07 Civic sales (North America): 29,155 units
    Feb 07 (latest month available, assumed to be NA units) Scion Tc Sales: 4,399 units

that's a difference of 567%....and the Civic is priced considerably higher.
    wow pretty impressive. I like the scions packaging, but i would never take it over the civic.

one thing that honda needs to do is re-evaluate the conept of only including leather wrapped steering wheels in leather clad or sporty versions of each respective car.

I shouldn't have to special order a leather wrapped steering wheel for an ex at least. If the fit has one, so should the civic.
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    according to data on their respective sites:

Apr 07 Civic sales (North America): 29,155 units
    Feb 07 (latest month available, assumed to be NA units) Scion Tc Sales: 4,399 units

that's a difference of 567%....and the Civic is priced considerably higher.

Doesn't that Civic sales number include ALL versions of the Civic? It's quite unfair to compare sales of 4-door, 2-door, hybrid, and Si models of the civic to 1 model of the Tc.

A more interesting (and valid) comparison would be to compare sales of the Honda Civic Coupe only to those of the Scion Tc. I bet the sales numbers would be much closer.
    sure you could break it down further but I seriously doubt the results would be any different.

If you conservatively estimate that only 1 in 4 are non-Si coupes, that is over 7,000 in April 07. That's still almost 2x the Tc Feb 07 sales.

The Honda site already separated the 2,855 Hybrids:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=200705013973
    What's also interesting to think of is this -- I am glad that the tC is more rare. I wouldn't want something that everyone and their grandma has. Why be like everyone else?

Being different IS good, to follow the crowd isn't the best option. :shades:
    One could say the same about the Pinto station wagon.

why are you here? Most places would label you a troll and ignore you.
    so just because YOU don't like what I have to say, that makes me a troll? Too bad that everyone doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the tC, why are YOU posting here? hmm?

deal with it bub..
    Too bad that everyone doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the tC, why are YOU posting here? hmm?

ummm...because its a civc vs tc thread?

There is a lot of reasons why the civic does better.

I'll take the grandma civic over the girlfriend tc anyday. :P
    sure you could break it down further but I seriously doubt the results would be any different.

If you conservatively estimate that only 1 in 4 are non-Si coupes, that is over 7,000 in April 07. That's still almost 2x the Tc Feb 07 sales.

I'm interested in real sales numbers of the Honda Civic Coupe, not made up ones. "Conservatively estimate" is just another way of saying "I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air."

For the month of May 2007 Toyota sold 6,615 Scion tCs.

Proof

Can anyone truly tell me how many Honda Civic coupes were sold last month? No guessing, please.
    go to temple of vtec, they usually post up hondas sells numbers for the month.

but i think that the whole sales numbers thing is irrelevant. We are discussing why WE think one car is better/different than the other.

Toyota sells a lot of camrys, but that doesn't mean i would take one over my rabbit. Just an example.
    but i think that the whole sales numbers thing is irrelevant.

I only bring it up because of kenlw's post regarding Civic sales of 29,155 and tC sales of 4,399. If you're going to tout sales numbers as a way to make a point, then make sure you are comparing apples to apples (Civic Coupe versus tC), not apples, pears, peaches, watermelon, grapes to apples (all versions of the Civic versus tC).

Just trying to keep the discussion honest.
    I posted them as "interesting numbers", not "to make a point".

I posted the best numbers I could find and labelled them as they were. Nothing misleading, if you can find better (and the link certainly is a good one) fine. Good data is good data.

I clearly labeled the ones i posted and if someone can't figure that out, well, I'm wasting my time on them.

Should I also sort them by color? That's important to some folks, too.....

btw, I've owned 3 Camrys (91 v6 DX, 93 i4 LE, 97 v6 LE), a Highlander (02 v6). I know Toyotas and love them. But this time I went with a 2 dr Civic. Why?

Because the mileage on the Tc (my 2nd choice, the Corolla never made it past the "boring" cut) was much, much worse and for numerous personal (styling, ergonomics, etc) issues. Tc has some very good points (>HP, >torque, <$) but overall for ME, the 2 dr Civic won me over.

I park next to a nice Tc daily at work. Even he likes my Civic's looks better, but price was an issue (he paid about 4k less), so he went with the Tc. He got great car for his money. I could afford more, and therefore I paid more to get what I wanted.

to each his own.
    good post ken.

i don't think that the tc is a horrible car, i just couldn't own one because all my sisters friends have one.

they both have good points, and then some not so good ones.

i do like the hp torque of the tc, but its safe to say that the civic is a better example of power in the sense of making the most out of engine size. And it does so while getting much better fuel economy.
This discussion has been closed.