Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Coupe vs. Scion tC

Comments

• kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    sure you could break it down further but I seriously doubt the results would be any different.

If you conservatively estimate that only 1 in 4 are non-Si coupes, that is over 7,000 in April 07. That's still almost 2x the Tc Feb 07 sales.

The Honda site already separated the 2,855 Hybrids:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=200705013973
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    What's also interesting to think of is this -- I am glad that the tC is more rare. I wouldn't want something that everyone and their grandma has. Why be like everyone else?

Being different IS good, to follow the crowd isn't the best option. :shades:
    One could say the same about the Pinto station wagon.

why are you here? Most places would label you a troll and ignore you.
    so just because YOU don't like what I have to say, that makes me a troll? Too bad that everyone doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the tC, why are YOU posting here? hmm?

deal with it bub..
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    Too bad that everyone doesn't agree with you. If you don't like the tC, why are YOU posting here? hmm?

ummm...because its a civc vs tc thread?

There is a lot of reasons why the civic does better.

I'll take the grandma civic over the girlfriend tc anyday. :P
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    sure you could break it down further but I seriously doubt the results would be any different.

If you conservatively estimate that only 1 in 4 are non-Si coupes, that is over 7,000 in April 07. That's still almost 2x the Tc Feb 07 sales.

I'm interested in real sales numbers of the Honda Civic Coupe, not made up ones. "Conservatively estimate" is just another way of saying "I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air."

For the month of May 2007 Toyota sold 6,615 Scion tCs.

Proof

Can anyone truly tell me how many Honda Civic coupes were sold last month? No guessing, please.
    go to temple of vtec, they usually post up hondas sells numbers for the month.

but i think that the whole sales numbers thing is irrelevant. We are discussing why WE think one car is better/different than the other.

Toyota sells a lot of camrys, but that doesn't mean i would take one over my rabbit. Just an example.
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    but i think that the whole sales numbers thing is irrelevant.

I only bring it up because of kenlw's post regarding Civic sales of 29,155 and tC sales of 4,399. If you're going to tout sales numbers as a way to make a point, then make sure you are comparing apples to apples (Civic Coupe versus tC), not apples, pears, peaches, watermelon, grapes to apples (all versions of the Civic versus tC).

Just trying to keep the discussion honest.
    I posted them as "interesting numbers", not "to make a point".

I posted the best numbers I could find and labelled them as they were. Nothing misleading, if you can find better (and the link certainly is a good one) fine. Good data is good data.

I clearly labeled the ones i posted and if someone can't figure that out, well, I'm wasting my time on them.

Should I also sort them by color? That's important to some folks, too.....

btw, I've owned 3 Camrys (91 v6 DX, 93 i4 LE, 97 v6 LE), a Highlander (02 v6). I know Toyotas and love them. But this time I went with a 2 dr Civic. Why?

Because the mileage on the Tc (my 2nd choice, the Corolla never made it past the "boring" cut) was much, much worse and for numerous personal (styling, ergonomics, etc) issues. Tc has some very good points (>HP, >torque, <$) but overall for ME, the 2 dr Civic won me over.

I park next to a nice Tc daily at work. Even he likes my Civic's looks better, but price was an issue (he paid about 4k less), so he went with the Tc. He got great car for his money. I could afford more, and therefore I paid more to get what I wanted.

to each his own.
    good post ken.

i don't think that the tc is a horrible car, i just couldn't own one because all my sisters friends have one.

they both have good points, and then some not so good ones.

i do like the hp torque of the tc, but its safe to say that the civic is a better example of power in the sense of making the most out of engine size. And it does so while getting much better fuel economy.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    I have to use the mirrors on My Type S alot due to high back seats and hate the blind spots.
    Are the Civic Si and TC the same? I think I noticed on the TC the rear side windows have a two piece design.
    Also, what's the difference beside no brake dust on ceramic brakes than semi metalic?
    I only have 40k,but want get away from Acura because of cheap leather and paint.Honda's seem to be noted for that,let alone low end torque :)
    you are proably the only person i've ever heard comment on cheap paint and leather from the likes of acura! :confuse:
    No, the Type S is an entry model. So alot of people have told me to expect cheap leather on my car. I have had the front seat replaced under warranty,because it cracked open. My Integra's did the same. They have a kidney design that rubs when getting in and out. Go to some Honda forums and alot of people will tell you they'll give up the paint quality for the bullet proof reputation Honda engines have and reliability. :)
    what type s do you have? they have never been 'entry models' usually better peforming and more expensive models of existing ones. i'm certain it an older one or an rsx (which is hardly luxury to begin with, but a great performance car), because that still would not suit the description of say, the new tl type s.

their engines are amazing though.
    The RSX is the entry level into Acura,it's the base model. I have a RSX Type S, the next model up is the TSX
    The RSX is being discontinued this year.The RSX took the place of the Integra . :)
    i figured this is what you were talking about.

having said that i've never knew they were known for bad paint...they'ved always seemed fine to me.

Actually the rsx was discontinued last year.
  • tough call, I have a Civic Si coupe, and Id take the Si coupe over the scion tc ANYDAY. Id still probably take the civic coupe over the scion tc, just because of reliability. Ive test driven the scion tc a couple times, its a decent car, with a 2.4 liter 160 hp engine over the civics 1.8 liter 140 hp, it will perform a little better than the civic. But i bet you the civic will last longer and get better gas mileage for sure. I also really like the look of the civic coupe, especially with the added front lip and side skirts. considering the 2.4 liter engine in the scion tc, i thought it would have a little more umph, but it really is pretty gutless. theres lots of mods you can do to the scion tc, readily available, but even with the supercharger, it really isnt all that powerfull.

I would go the honda route, more reliable, last you longer, better gas mileage. I highly recommend the Si version though. Si will still get 30-32 mpg on the freeway, and has features a high end car has, but is only 21,000 or 24,000 if you get navi.

good luck to ya :D
    i guess it depends on what you mean by 'performance'. the tc's engine is geared horribly and not in a sporting manner at all; a civic with a manual could defintely hold its own.

lets not even get into handling, roadfeel, or gas mileage.
  • Hondas have a good reputation of being reliable cars. Honda has made the civic for yrs and SOOO many people are incredibly happy with their civics. People buy scions cause they believe toyota is the most reliable car company. The scion tC was set to target hondas market of customers.
    Honda has the customer service to handle issues with their vehicles. Toyota doesnt care about their younger customer at ALL and try to screw you anywhere they can. DONT buy a SCION tC!!! they forgot to assemble them and try to charge you for everything on the car that stops working. The tC rattles everywhere. By the time youre old enough to drive you dont want to think of your car as a toy that may fall apart and toyota doesnt warn customers that SOME ASSEMBLY IS REQUIRED. Forbes has rated the tC as #19 on their worst cars list. My SCION tC would have made #1 on that list.
    and somehow all those cheap, sleazy honda dealers actually care about the customer too? Don't let this post fool everyone, Honda dealers are NO better than the cheap Toyota dealers either!

Honda customer dis-service, What happened to all those Accord owners who had to go and get class action lawsuit status before Honda even replaced all those defective transmissions? hmmm.. yes doesn't sound like "Customer service" at all! So don't be saying that Honda is so great, because they are not.
This discussion has been closed.