Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A3: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• thanks for the reply, the car is with the dealer at the moment with the oil problem and a knocking noise coming from the clutch pedal
  • hey man, i got the same problem too, i left my car at the deler 3 days and they can't find any problem ?!! the dealership people act like they don't really care and not looking forward to look for the problem what so ever.... is your car still doing the same thing?? let me know, thanks

Dennis

tyrant0303@yahoo.com
  • still had problems with the A3, when i step on the brake and hold it till a full stop, at the end, the car will have a "click" feeling, you can feel it really strong "click" feeling when before it comes to fully stop. and when i start the car in the morning, cold or hot morning, the car will shake!! its like, shake for 2 second, stop and then shake again, then stop, before i put it in D gear. anyone who have the same problem please email me back, i think Audi need to recall A3 back man, there are whole lot of problem talking on the net. Anyway, appreciated.

Dennis
    tyrant0303@yahoo.com
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043
    Dennis: never post your e-mail on a message board, you'll get spammed to death.

Mr Shiftright
    Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• "Audi need to recall A3 back man, there are whole lot of problem talking on the net."

Really??? Where??? (Don't bother answering, the forum Nazis here will just delete the message).

But that's a load of **** anyway. I frequent all the major A3 message boards and there are very few problems being reported with this car. You shouldn't make stuff up like that.
  • pwdpwd Posts: 2
    I was ready to buy the A3 and really liked the car but on two test drives of different cars in normal city traffic, the instanteous fuel milage display showed 11-14 MPG. And I was not pushing hard. What kind of milage are the folks who have this car getting? Thanks for the help.
  • 24 mostly stop & go.
  • mapinmapin Posts: 27
    25-27 stop/go
    30-32 highway
  • I drove my A3 from VA to CT (~1100 miles) for Thanksgiving vacation. Average mpg for the whole trip: 29.
  • The "instant" mileage display is just that. It can be a teaching tool if you'd like to learn how to drive with low mileage, but other than that, it is pretty useless. Don't pay too much attention to it - for everyday driving, the two available (trip & overall) avarages are much more useful. Yes, any car will use surprisingly little or surprisingly much in certain situation. Accelerate a cold car up an incline so mild you can hardly tell it's there. Your instantaneous mileage will be in the single digits. Coast down a slight decline, it will show something close to 100...

This engine delivers great mileage for its performance (or vice versa). You'll be hard pressed to find better.
  • I purchased my A3 in early September. Recently my keys (both of them) stopped being able to unlock and lock the car remotely. I had to push the "unlock" button 10 times before it would unlock the car (or I just had to stick the key in the actual key hole).

I talked to the Audi dealer and they said it was an issue for all A3 keys with an "A" in the little serial number that you can see when the key is extended. They have ordered me new keys (which I will pick up in 2 weeks).

Just an FYI out there for anyone who is having issues locking & unlocking their car remotely.
  • It's hard to know for sure. Consumers Union surveys and various press comments finger the Audi electricals as a weak spot. They're not alone - VW, BMW, MERCEDES and GM are right "down there" with weak electrics.

There's a lot to like about the A3. I sincerely hope Audi USA does not fall into the VW arrogance trap (even if VW is its parent), gets its reliability up and improves support for their small dealer network.
  • I have the some problem with my A3 but dealer don't fix thst problem already, because the change diferent thinks like comfort modul but now I tell them about the kyes.
    I woul like to know if changing of the kyes was OK and if everything working good.
    Please repaly to me asap. Thanks in advance
  • Audi said my keys would take 2 weeks to replace. It is now 3+ weeks, and they are having trouble figuring out the status of my keys.

I wish I could tell you the "fix" worked or not, but since I don't have the new keys, I can't tell you. One thing I do know is that my current keys cannot remotely unlock or lock my car any more (except on very rare occasions).

I'll keep you posted.
  • So, an update on the key issue. I have now taken my car into the dealership 3 times in the past week to have the keys replaced. I have left my car at the dealership (and gotten a rental). Obviously this has taken time out of my schedule to do this.

Each time I have received a call telling me that Audi has sent wrong keys, or bad keys, or whatever.

They are now telling me they should have "good" keys in the next day or so.

I'm am extremely frustrated with Audi at this point. I have never owned an Audi before. The A3 is a good car, but the service so far has been horrid.
  • What part of the country are you located in? Am wondering if this is a regional problem?
  • Whenever I start my A3, after about 30 seconds, I hear
    a very faint high pitch sound for just a few second?
    It must have to do with the electronics, and I guess
    I am quite sensitive, but it is a bit annoying.
    Anyone else notice this or know what it is?

This is the only minor thing I have to complain about.
    This car is pure fun.
  • Good point about sport suspension, Shipo.

Does Quattro version come with only that suspension setup? I did not see any sport options for Quattro at the audiusa site.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    Looks like Quattro 3.2 is only offered with DSG and only in the S line, S standing for all the sports options it looks like to me (all standard and included automatically).
  • Thanks, Andres3. The DSG sounds great, but sport suspension won't cut it on our area's rough roads. So the A3 Quattro is out for me.

Maybe in 2007 there will be other options.
  • Have you test-driven one? Sports suspensions vary a lot. After all, it's an Audi, not an STi or Evo. I'd give a test drive a shot. There are plenty of people out there who think it's not firm enough, and modify it for a lower and stiffer ride! :shades:
  • ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    Everyone should decide for themselves, but....I've driven the 3.2 without the performance tire package and I can tell you the suspension is very firm. It's at the limits of what I could tolerate on a daily basis and I have mostly smooth roads around me. If I had many bad roads around me, I wouldn't consider this suspension for a second.

Lowering the car and firming up this suspension might make it a better "track" car, but would make it completely unsuited for daily use, IMHO. I like my back too much to do something like that (and want to stay married as well).
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,724
    Given Audi's racing petigree, is Audi's A3 3.2 Quattro an attempt to provide a street legal autocross car; a refined Euro version of the Evo or WTI?
    Are there racing/autosports groups that are using A3 Quattros for race events?
    Will Audi offer a "competition kit" to let buyers add true race car ride and handling to their A3 Quattros?
  • seespotseespot Posts: 3
    I test drove the A3 3.2 today in Edmonton. We just had 30 cm of the white stuff. I didn't find the ride harsh at all. The demo had 17" wheels with 40 psi in them. By the by... the car is a freakin rocket with DSG. I think I just found my new car!
  • pscbeckspscbecks Posts: 1
    temp gauge on A3 TDI 1.9 2001 showing high when starting up from cold then gos further round when warm but engine not running hot is this a comman fault as it means replaceing the whole instrument cluster.
    40 PSI in the tires???? Is this typical of low profile tires?
  • Not sure if it was regional. The dealer just said that keys that begin with the letter "A" in the serial number (you can see it when you flip open your key) are the bad batch.

I finally received my new keys yesterday, over 4 weeks after first reporting the problem. woo hoo.....
    C&D posted recent article where Audi is going to recall a bunch of cars for malfunctioning dashboard wiring. The A3 was not listed, but wondering if could be same problem?
  • supretysuprety Posts: 2
    I see. I am waiting to hear from the Audi Shop. I will update if I hear anything.
  • I have a question regarding standard features that are listed on audiusa website but missing in the car. On Audiusa site, there is a feature call "alarm with tilt sensor" listed as standard feature for the A3 vehicles. This feature have been removed on all post 06 build vehicles. Is there anyone else aware of this? I've had an A4 and TT and found this feature great. Now, after taken delivery of my A3. I've notice the button to disable tilt senor was not where the manual have indicated. I've pointed out this issue to my service and sale manager and they were surprised of this. I then called Audi customer relation and after a week of what they called research on this issue. They called and told me that Audi reserve the rights to make changes to there vehicles to improve the quality of there cars, bla, bla, bla... So, now all A3 do not come with alarm and tilt sensor as listed on there current website. I understand this feature is not so big of a deal but what are the rights for the customers? When customers expected something as standard feature then later finds out that it's not installed.
    I've been driving Audis most of my life and this little thing is going to make me buy other brand.
This discussion has been closed.