Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 vs Chevy TrailBlazer SS vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
edited April 27 in Chevrolet
The Jeep is the better choice for two reasons: more horsepower and a better power-to-weight ratio. It doesn't hurt that it also packs a 6.1L Hemi with 420hp vs. the Trailblazer's 391 6.0L V8 small block LS2

Comments

• When is the SRT-8 coming out?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Late November early December 2005.
  • Any word on price?
    DC says that it stickers between 45 and 50 thousand.
  • I was hoping DC would market it in an affordable range.
  • When is the Trailblazer SS coming out?
    Late November early december, around about the same time the SRT-8 hits the street
  • The GC is pricey to be sure, and with gas prices . . .

Still, I had a 1998 5.9 Unlimited, it was just an engine and trim upgrade, at the time the fastest SUV on the market. Loads of fun, lots of fond memories. I love the idea of a modern version, with suspension and brake upgrades to match.
    You're right the SRT-8 is expensive. And with the gas market the way it is right now, DC is taking a gamble. I too had(still got it) a 5.9 Limited. It felt so good to be able to not only smoke every truck in sight, but to also be able to hang with some of the sports cars at the time. I wish DC would've invested more time in trying to Americanize it's popular Euro-market only turbodiesel it has in the JGC and now the Commander. But it is what it is. Mercedes and BMW had better watch out because the SRT-8 is upon you. It has a receipe that only sports car makers can only do: Low weight, lowered suspension,bigger engine are the same ingredients that Jeep used in the 5.9. And with the price that is surely to undercut them buy at least $20,000, how can they go wrong?
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    Anyone have any idea how much over MSRP dealers will charge for this initially? Would love to get one at MSRP.
    With today's fuel crisis and the fact that so many people are getting out of truck-based SUV's and into crossovers, the dealers on both sides should actually go BELOW sticker with intial run of these trucks. That's what I've been told by my Jeep dealer.
    Thanks very much. That's great news. I hope they build enough to make it not too exclusive. I heard that some dealers were asking 10K above 300C SRT earlier this year.
    They indeed were asking $50K around here just to start with. I've seen one that was fully tricked out at 60thou. Ouch. But I do believe that is about over with because the SRT-8 300 wasn't moving as fast as DC would like. I saw one on the rack at the dealer yesterday for $36,500, which is well below sticker.
  • Awesome Vehicle!

I recently drove one, (Manufacture Vehicle) The thing is insane. I can't believe how quick it is and how well it handles. Can't wait til they hit the market, I was told early December.

I took a 300 SRT8 out also, problem is, that is a rear wheel drive car.

The Grand SRT8 is all wheel.

Which means no tire squeal, JUST GO!

:)
  • any price indication?
  • I think it's difficult to imagine the SRT-8 not being the better performer and feature laden vehicle of the two. But when you consider the SS is starting out at $33k while the SRT is said to be around $45-$50, the value of the SS really starts to shine. Not to mention it will probably be much more easy to modify considering the engine/aftermarket.

Gas mileage be damned, as long as the SS accepts an 85/15 ethanol blend I'll take it!
    Your info is extremely slanted. You actually think that DC is going to price the SRT-8 BELOW a '06 JGC Overland.Try in the neighborhood of $42,500. The only options are nav, rear seat entertainment, chrome wheels. Get your facts in a row.

And furthermore, that dealer I saw that had the 300 SRT now has a SRT Charger with 1500 miles on it for $35,000.

So who's full of it now stang,(wrong forum Ford guy)?
  • blr1blr1 Posts: 6
    A dealer in Alhambra (outside of L.A.) is offering to sell at MSRP ($39,300). There are only a few options: Nav Sys ($1200), DVD ($1200), but must also get Group 1 option ($3195), Sunroof ($800). Is MSRP a good price?
  • I'd think that price is below '06 GC Overland which makes it a good deal if you don't want the options. That's cheaper than what I paid for my current '02 Overland which I bought in early '02. I've been contacted by my local dealership saying they will be getting two SRT-8's...not sure when they receive them.
    I would like the DVD, but you have to order the Group 1 (sunroof, back up sensors, heated seats, auto adj headlights, memory seats, etc) with that. Can't order the DVD alone. There are 2 SRT Jeeps on eBay now. One at MSRP and one with a $54K Buy it Now price. They are quoting an early Dec delivery. My dealers says more like Jan/Feb for deliveries.
    Does anyone know how the reliablity for the SRT 8 6.1 engines is?
    To new to tell, however my neighbor has a 300 SRT-8 with about 7600 miles on it and it is flawless.

I talked to a lot of Mopar gear heads on another forum and they said that the 6.1L should be even more reliable than the 5.7L because all the components are more durable
  • Is there a features comparison page for the GC SRT-8 vs TB SS. According to Edmunds a full boat GC SRT-8 goes for $45K + -. That isn't too bad considering the performance. A full boat Magnum SRT-8 comes in at $42K + -. With GM Red Tag pricing it will be nice to see what the Trailblazer SS comes in at. I think they will be close in handling & braking, 0-60 speed might be a diferent matter.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,829
    The Vehicle Comparison page will let you compare up to 5 models at a time, but I don't see the TrailBlazer SS style in the database yet.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Well, I went to my local Chrysler/Jeep dealer couple days ago and saw a 300C SRT-8 listed at $54k (including 10K surcharge). So perhaps it depends on the region. I was told to expect at least 5k premium on GC SRT. I've decided to just get a limited with Hemi.
    "Despite sharing aerodynamics with Carnegie Hall, Chevy's new muscle-bound SUV is dead stable and…hold on a second while I pass this truck…requires nothing more than a few fingertips on the steering wheel to keep it pointed straight down the road."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS (Inside Line)

image image

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

No full test yet, so this will have to suffice.

The American AMG: Why Chrysler's SRT Performance Division Is Hot (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

That sounds about right. The upcharges here in Cali have been as high as $15k.

Since you've decided to go with the JGC Limited w/HEMI, there are host of upgrades available to get tons more power out of it without doing any internal work.

On my 2005 JGC HEMI that I sold for my Commander had 3" exhaust, Cold-Air intake, performance chip, Hypertech Programmer among other things that came up to about 397hp on the Dyno. I know this is shy of the SRT-8's 420, but hey I didn't have to pay a surcharge either.
    Thanks. I picked up my Hemi couple of days ago. I am happy with the power so far but where can I go to get those upgrades?
    For the exhaust, I had Borla 3" exhaust for the HEMI engine. I got the chip from jegs.com, the cold-air was a K+N FIPK system. I also had forged aluminum wheels from tirerack.com. There are a host of other go fast upgrades that I didn't have the time to put on. I would Google Jeep Grand Cherokee Accessories and sse what comes up.
This discussion has been closed.