Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 vs Chevy TrailBlazer SS vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Comments

• blr1blr1 Posts: 6
    Does anyone know how the reliablity for the SRT 8 6.1 engines is?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    To new to tell, however my neighbor has a 300 SRT-8 with about 7600 miles on it and it is flawless.

I talked to a lot of Mopar gear heads on another forum and they said that the 6.1L should be even more reliable than the 5.7L because all the components are more durable
  • Is there a features comparison page for the GC SRT-8 vs TB SS. According to Edmunds a full boat GC SRT-8 goes for $45K + -. That isn't too bad considering the performance. A full boat Magnum SRT-8 comes in at $42K + -. With GM Red Tag pricing it will be nice to see what the Trailblazer SS comes in at. I think they will be close in handling & braking, 0-60 speed might be a diferent matter.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,969
    The Vehicle Comparison page will let you compare up to 5 models at a time, but I don't see the TrailBlazer SS style in the database yet.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    Well, I went to my local Chrysler/Jeep dealer couple days ago and saw a 300C SRT-8 listed at $54k (including 10K surcharge). So perhaps it depends on the region. I was told to expect at least 5k premium on GC SRT. I've decided to just get a limited with Hemi.
    "Despite sharing aerodynamics with Carnegie Hall, Chevy's new muscle-bound SUV is dead stable and…hold on a second while I pass this truck…requires nothing more than a few fingertips on the steering wheel to keep it pointed straight down the road."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS (Inside Line)

image image

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

No full test yet, so this will have to suffice.

The American AMG: Why Chrysler's SRT Performance Division Is Hot (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

That sounds about right. The upcharges here in Cali have been as high as $15k.

Since you've decided to go with the JGC Limited w/HEMI, there are host of upgrades available to get tons more power out of it without doing any internal work.

On my 2005 JGC HEMI that I sold for my Commander had 3" exhaust, Cold-Air intake, performance chip, Hypertech Programmer among other things that came up to about 397hp on the Dyno. I know this is shy of the SRT-8's 420, but hey I didn't have to pay a surcharge either.
    Thanks. I picked up my Hemi couple of days ago. I am happy with the power so far but where can I go to get those upgrades?
    For the exhaust, I had Borla 3" exhaust for the HEMI engine. I got the chip from jegs.com, the cold-air was a K+N FIPK system. I also had forged aluminum wheels from tirerack.com. There are a host of other go fast upgrades that I didn't have the time to put on. I would Google Jeep Grand Cherokee Accessories and sse what comes up.
    Thanks. I can wait for the other upgrades but I'll check the tirerack right away.
  • So If I build a SRT-8 online for 43,000 im looking to pay 5-10K over that?
  • I went to a Twin Cities MN Jeep dealer got a similar story with a surcharge of about $5k for the GC SRT-8. The dealer said they were only getting 1 for 2006. Went down the street to the Chevy dealer which had 8 SS Trailblazers on order. They told me I could order it the way I wanted and all rebates applied. Priced the LS1B with SS package, Curtain airbags and cargo cover. $36,800. Red Tag price $30,400. Quite a price difference for a couple of High perf SUVs. I think the SS will do the trick for $18,000 less.
  • Good luck finding one. The dealers are getting very few of them. A good friend of mine is a senior manager at Chrysler told me the 6.1L Hemi supply is tight so production is restricted. The dealers know that no rebates or employee pricing deals apply so they can jack up the prices.
    I think you should expect at least $5k over MSRP. Still, it's not too bad considering what you get for it. I wasn't sure if I can get one at all anytime soon. Chevy SS does seem like a bargain in comparison.
  • I found a dealer here in South Florida that was allowing just 2 customers to put deposits down and place orders for the Jeep SRT 8 at MSRP (I was lucky #2).

I ordered it in Black with only the $3100 premium package - no nav or rear entertainment. Total = $43,190

The dealer can only order 3 for the first shipment and he wants one for himself to display in his showroom and slap the $12k premium on it like he did the 300 SRT 8. Delivery is expected late January/early February

If i couldn't get it at MSRP, I'd be shoppin for a TB SS. Roomier and more leg room (I'm 6'3")
  • Finally someone that understands.

that your getting the power of a porsche, at half the price.
  • blr1blr1 Posts: 6
    I think I going for the TB SS over the SRT Jeep. I can get the TB SS for about $30K now (employee price less $3K rebate). I can get SRT at MSRP ($40K with no options). I can more than make up the 25 hp gap with $10K in savings. I would prefer the SRT, but that's a pretty big gab.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    That Trailblazer SS stands for Screamin Sleeper deal! Plus it retains the 6,500lbs. tow rating! The Jeep GC SRT loses its tow rating!
    Actually, a GMT360 SUV is rated to tow 7200 pounds with the 4.2L I-6 motor and 7500 with the 5.3L V-8, so the TB SS did lose tow rating.

The JGC did lose tow capacity, but if you use either of these trucks tow anything, something is seriously wrong.
This discussion has been closed.