Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 vs Chevy TrailBlazer SS vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Comments

• davidc1davidc1 Posts: 167
    Thanks. I can wait for the other upgrades but I'll check the tirerack right away.
  • So If I build a SRT-8 online for 43,000 im looking to pay 5-10K over that?
  • I went to a Twin Cities MN Jeep dealer got a similar story with a surcharge of about $5k for the GC SRT-8. The dealer said they were only getting 1 for 2006. Went down the street to the Chevy dealer which had 8 SS Trailblazers on order. They told me I could order it the way I wanted and all rebates applied. Priced the LS1B with SS package, Curtain airbags and cargo cover. $36,800. Red Tag price $30,400. Quite a price difference for a couple of High perf SUVs. I think the SS will do the trick for $18,000 less.
  • Good luck finding one. The dealers are getting very few of them. A good friend of mine is a senior manager at Chrysler told me the 6.1L Hemi supply is tight so production is restricted. The dealers know that no rebates or employee pricing deals apply so they can jack up the prices.
    I think you should expect at least $5k over MSRP. Still, it's not too bad considering what you get for it. I wasn't sure if I can get one at all anytime soon. Chevy SS does seem like a bargain in comparison.
  • I found a dealer here in South Florida that was allowing just 2 customers to put deposits down and place orders for the Jeep SRT 8 at MSRP (I was lucky #2).

I ordered it in Black with only the $3100 premium package - no nav or rear entertainment. Total = $43,190

The dealer can only order 3 for the first shipment and he wants one for himself to display in his showroom and slap the $12k premium on it like he did the 300 SRT 8. Delivery is expected late January/early February

If i couldn't get it at MSRP, I'd be shoppin for a TB SS. Roomier and more leg room (I'm 6'3")
  • Finally someone that understands.

that your getting the power of a porsche, at half the price.
  • blr1blr1 Posts: 6
    I think I going for the TB SS over the SRT Jeep. I can get the TB SS for about $30K now (employee price less $3K rebate). I can get SRT at MSRP ($40K with no options). I can more than make up the 25 hp gap with $10K in savings. I would prefer the SRT, but that's a pretty big gab.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    That Trailblazer SS stands for Screamin Sleeper deal! Plus it retains the 6,500lbs. tow rating! The Jeep GC SRT loses its tow rating!
  • blkhemiblkhemi Posts: 1,717
    Actually, a GMT360 SUV is rated to tow 7200 pounds with the 4.2L I-6 motor and 7500 with the 5.3L V-8, so the TB SS did lose tow rating.

The JGC did lose tow capacity, but if you use either of these trucks tow anything, something is seriously wrong.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,173
    "The styling hit has to be the center-mounted dual exhaust, something you'd expect on a Lamborghini, not a Jeep SUV. It looks cool and has the sound to back it up — a low, muted rumble that segues to a hearty bellow when you tromp on it."

Follow-Up Test: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I DO plan to tow, but thankfully it's only 2 SeaDoos. I don't really care for the center outlet, so I plan on taking it to my mechanic (does amaizing work). If possible I'll have hime re-route the exhaust to the sides, and have the hitch exit through the center cut.

As for the TB SS, I will miss the cargo capacity for sure, but the GC SRT 8 will be more exclusive and therefore retain more long term value (A 1992 GMC Typhoon in good shape sells for $12 - $15k these days - MSRP was $29k).
  • Great review! A little concerned about the low lying front spoiler, though. Interior is a little "blah" too, but the performance #'s are insane.

Used to be a big fan of silver exterior, but not crazy about the Silver on the GC SRT 8. Glad I picked black
    as I was just told by my factory rep. I picked the red over black and silver because, IMO it stands out more. But no matter what color you pick, no one will be able to tell because all they're going to see is dust from behind the SRT.

It's fully loaded and I even got them to install Mopar's HID lighting kit. All for about 47K, including freight. I was torn between the TB SS and SRT for a while because the Chevy is a bargain in comparison to the Jeep, however the SRT will retain more value over time, so money well spent.

I always did want a sports car with some sort of tow rating and cargo room. Looks like I got it.:P ;) :shades:
    By thw way, was the SS price quote for 2wd or 4wd?
    It was AWD.
  • This Friday, Dec 16?!?! :surprise: You must show pics and give review when get home with it .
    Nice with the HID kit. Would have ordered it if it was an option. Already have portable Garmin Nav, and no kids yet so no rear entertainment either.
    Excellent review, however, the SRT that was tested must've been a green model with few miles on it because that 0-60 time of 5.2 sec. is off by half a second of what was posted by myself and DC.

Recently(November), I had the great opportunity to drive one around DC's proving grounds in Michigan. I posted a 0-60 time of 4.75 seconds. The Jeep did have 1100 miles on it and it was thoroughly broken in, so your times will improve after that mighty 6.1 loosens up.

I also agree that the ride can rattle teeth on certain road surface, however, even on Michigan's rough roads the ride was just short of the firm yet supple feeling that BMW's exude.

But all-in-all, no one should buy this truck if they are looking for a pillowy-soft Buick-like ride. That's out of the question. But if you're looking for the ultimate bang for the buck(right now until Merc brings out the ML6.3) and the security of AWD traction, "your vehicle has arriven".

Yes, I know the TB SS is cheaper(that will weigh in on the resale value 5 years down the road) and also has AWD, better cargo capacity, and the luscious Corvette 6.0L under the hood, but it sure is not a HEMI.:P ;) :shades:
  • Red and Black are definitely the hottest colors. Black just seemed a little tougher IMO (see that commercial?).

Yes Mike, 12/16/05. CAN'T WAIT. I make it my business to drive past the Jeep dealership on my way home from work everyday to look at the SRT that they have on the spinning platform so I can picture myself in it(a little sick, I know). Would've bought it except I refuse to give the owner $60K FOR A JEEP!!!!!! Thank heavens the DC factory rep I associate with was able to get my truck expedited this week with 4 other SRT's coming to Cali by the weekend. Oh, I will be posting pics after I take it to get the K-40 built in radar put in so I won't go to jail faster than I can say: "officer I was just trying it out"
    and I'll get the dealership to tint the front side glass for me.

Have you received your truck yet? I saw that you went with the black. This will be the first red Jeep product I've bought since my '98 JGC 5.9 LTD. I bet that black looks good on it. You'll be able to fly under the radar better than I can.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Fortunately, we cannot view pictures directly off of your hard drive. To find out how to post pictures click the help link over on the left of this page.

tidester, host
    I saw the commercial. UNBELIEVABLE!! The commercial should be voted best car commercial of the year(lol)

Unfortunately, by the time the commercial came out, my order was complete. That was my first time seeing a black SRT Jeep and it was slick. Very menacing look. I agree it does look tough.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,173
    I had the great opportunity to drive one around DC's proving grounds in Michigan. I posted a 0-60 time of 4.75 seconds.

Our reviewers adjust the times for altitude and humidity (or something like that).

Glad to hear you enjoyed the review otherwise. :-)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• DUH!! I should have known better

Here's the pic
  • i just placed a deposit on mine this afternoon here in south fla - 1.5k over msrp and its already en route - they go on vacation this friday through jan 9 so im crossing my fingers it gets here this week, otherwise im looking at mid-january...

one dealer i went to is asking 57k for it with nothing in it but the srt package... and some dealers dont even know what it is...
  • blr1blr1 Posts: 6
    I bought a silver TB SS today. It's 2WD with everything except the Nav and DVD sys. With my employee discount and the $3,500 rebate I paid $29.9K + Tax and lic ($33.5 out the door). MSRP was $38.6K. It's one hell of a car. I have a Mustang Mach 1 that I thought was fast. This car blows it away! I wanted a SRT Jeep, but the price differance was too big to pass on the TB SS. fyi - my Jeep dealer in Los Angeles offered me the Jeep at MSRP with no mak-up.
    Congrats on your new SS. Hope all works out well for you.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    And what's wrong with having my cake and eating it too? :shades:

(Amazingly low price, tow capacity, and great performance!)
    There's nothing wrong with it at all, in fact I do it quite often myself. Having received my Inferno Red SRT Friday, I'm having the whole cake and washing it down with a milkshake too.........(lol) :P
  • Congrates on the SRT-8. What color? If you get it before the New Year, you definitely got a good deal. $1500 over MSRP is very acceptable for that vehicle. My order went in Dec 12th. I'll be happy if I get mine before Feb.

I went to Fairbanks (Sawgrass) Jeep and they said to expect $10,000 over MSRP - even if I ordered it! I said "forget it" and walked out. Yardley-Massey Jeep put the order in for me at MSRP
This discussion has been closed.