Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• So far, this conversation is now being rated...tisk, tisk!
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    This is the question I'm wondering about. Anyone have any insight?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    Quieter, heated and cooled seats, THX stereo, slightly nicer interior, styling, power liftgate. Whether all that is worth the extra $$ is a personal decision. I'm leaning towards the Edge since I like the styling and have a Fusion now but the wife likes the styling on the MKX better even though it's $6K-$8K more. We'll know more after the auto show in April.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    My two brothers and the salesman. Normal type load. Ok, I revise my statement: A very good vehicle in most respects. On another topic- has anyone checked out the brakes in the Edge? I hope my experience was atypical.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    The MKX I saw also had power-fold 2nd seats. Does the Edge have those?
    The MKX I saw also had power-fold 2nd seats. Does the Edge have those?

Yes, they're optional on the SEL, standard on the SEL Plus.

I also forgot the optional steerable headlights on the MKX.
  • colecole Posts: 67
    They call them power-fold seats, but I don't know that I would do the same... There is a button that's accessible from the rear of the vehicle that you push and the seats go down without you pushing on them. The don't come back up with the push of a button though. They behave like there's tension on a spring that's released when you push the button... It's a great feature, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't agree that they're "power-fold" even though the marketing literature states that they are.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    I guess I just assumed they work like the ones in my Navigator. Motor driven up and down. Smooth as silk. Did Ford find a way to save another $8.00?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    The way I see it the "power-fold" seats in the Edge are similar to the folding rear seats in the Mazda6 and Fusion. In the latter two you pulled a lever in the trunk, one on either side, and the rear seats would flop down. Very convenient IMO (I owned a Mazda6 for a while). There was nothing electronic about it, the lever pulled a cable to unlock the seat backs, and you had to push them up by hand through the back doors.

The Edge seems to have some sort of electronic motor that releases the seat backs making it some kind of "fold-by-wire" system with no cable to pull. Does that seem right?

Somewhat different but still the same result.
  • Response to the brake issue. I have an Edge and the brakes are just fine. when they did most of the reviews was back in Nov. and they pulled the Edge back to the drawing board. I've read some reviews also stating that it did have non-vinted brakes in the rear and that was why it took so long to stop, but it does have vented in the rear. I've tested the brakes time and time again and they work a lot better than my explorer......
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    My complaint with the brakes on the two Edges I drove was that the pedal went down too far and then was spongy. The brakes on my Freestyle are right up there and firm and easy to modulate, although there are reports of premature wear on the rears.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Edge definately feels more linier in application.

I had a Mazda Protege5 where just a slight presure would put you through the windshield. Now that was annoying.

Maybe Ford should add Brake Assist.

Mark.
  • srangersranger Posts: 106
    Response to the brake issue. I have an Edge and the brakes are just fine. when they did most of the reviews was back in Nov. and they pulled the Edge back to the drawing board. I've read some reviews also stating that it did have non-vinted brakes in the rear and that was why it took so long to stop, but it does have vented in the rear. I've tested the brakes time and time again and they work a lot better than my explorer......

Have you actually checked your 60-0 braking distance? This is not somthing that you can tell by the seat of your pants. It is almost impossible to tell without measuring it ( unless you hit the person in front of you with good brakes.. ).

The ONLY thing Ford did to the brakes from the pre-production models was add vented rear rotors. I would not exactly call that "back to the drawing board". Since the front does 80% of the stopping, this will not solve the problem.

For example, Edmunds tested their new long term Edge which is a full 2007 production model and it produced the same hair raising 150ft stopping distances. Here is a direct quote from the article Edmunds wrote about adding the Edge that they bought from dealer stock to their long term fleet:

"When it comes to cars geared for family duty, stopping is more important than going fast. In the case of the Edge, stopping from 60 mph in 158 feet is not getting the job done. Relatively low mileage may be a factor in this poor result, but even with only 818 miles on the odometer we expect better."

P.S. I look at two Edges a local dealer had. One had vented rear disc, the other did not. Anyone who buys one of these things needs to take a look first...
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    IMMHO going to vented brake rotors in the rear is enough of an unusual aspect that it would give me serious consideration about the vehicle's braking ability, lack thereof.

That would seemingly indicate that the front brakes are not reliably doing their ~80% "share".
  • No bones about it, Ford has their safety act together. The 500, Fusion and Edge, along with their Mercury and Lincoln siblings, are all safety standouts. Let's hope someone in the marketing department gets this information into their advertising.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,871

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    What's the good of a safety award if you can't back it out of the garage reliably?

Oh, sorry, that's right, if it can't be driven it's more safe.
  • Unless you've got a link to a news story about Edge owners mysteriously not being able to back out of their garages, I really don't know what you're getting at here.

I'd be carfeful if you're trying to make a statement about Ford quality. Ford's last two new products have matched or beaten all the competition quality wise; would you like to take a bet on the Edge maintaining this trend?
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    Any real world numbers on the AWD Edge fuel mileage yet?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Please report your gas mileage here: Ford Edge MPG Real World Numbers.

tidester, host
    It's in the other topic, but Autoweek and Motorweek both reported 20 mpg actual mileage in their AWD Edges.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I see a strong bias here that might belong on another forum.
  • To your fist question, yes I have tested it from 60-0 and it didn't take 158ft to stop. I will get back to you on the measurements. And second, the statement that you were getting from edmunds is from Nov 06 , before the adjusted some things http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=117551/pageNumber=4. I have over 1,000 miles on mine now and I have had no trouble with the edge. I didn't know this was a site for bashing the edge.. I thought this was a site for people to hear from people that have bought the vehicle and their personal experiences....
    It's not a site for Edge bashing. It's more general than that. Anything Ford makes has a big target on it for some reason. The import lovers just can't bring themselves to believe (or admit) that the domestics have competetive vehicles now.
    To your fist question, yes I have tested it from 60-0 and it didn't take 158ft to stop. I will get back to you on the measurements. And second, the statement that you were getting from edmunds is from Nov 06 , before the adjusted some things http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=117551/pageNumber=4. I have over 1,000 miles on mine now and I have had no trouble with the edge. I didn't know this was a site for bashing the edge.. I thought this was a site for people to hear from people that have bought the vehicle and their personal experiences....

The Article I quoted from with the 158ft stop was written By Mike Schmidt , Vehicle Testing Assistant
    Date posted: 01-10-2007. The test was done on a standard production vehicle that they added to their long term test fleet. So YES it was tested AFTER the fixes that delayed the edge's release...

It is not bashing to tell the truth. If yours stops better than 146ft. It is the best stopping test to date...

So far: MotorTrend, Car and Drive, Edmunds, MotorWeek have ALL seen the same problem.
  • I have 1200 miles am averaging 21.4 mpg. That is probably 65% city driving.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Thanks for posting that in Ford Edge MPG Real World Numbers. :)

tidester, host
  • I have a 2002 Honda Pilot and just got a Ford Edge (put on 1000 miles. The stopping distance is a non issue. While I have not measured the exact distance, it is no different than that of the Pilot, might be slightly better. So all these statistics doesnot mean anything. I also became apprehensive after reading the numbers but went and actually test drove the vehicle atleast three times. So far my experience has been etremly good. The issue that I ahve is around the blind spots and the initial milage. City- mixed driving ~16, Highway ~19.5. Hope it improves after the so called break in period
    I have test driven the Edge three time now myself and I have seen nothng that would indicated that all of these people who are evaluating the Edge are lying....

I found that the front end dives sharply on hard braking and the brake pedal feels mushy. I did one panic stop from 45mph. I did it in front of the dealership. There was a row of cars parked on the street. It took 13 parking lot spaces to come to stop. The cars were parked about 9' apart. That is about 120' from only 45mph???

After that one hard stop, the brake fade was rather obvious and the pedal was even softer. I would NOT want to drive this thing in Atlanta Highway traffic. After the brakes heat up a little in stop and go traffic, the stopping distances will get much worse...

"So all these statistics doesnot mean anything.."

These stastics might not mean much to you, but I don't want to significantly increase the odds of me having an accident simply because Ford created a poor design. I also plan to tow a boat with it, so that will make it an even more serious issue for me.

You also might want to read this:
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee98071/6

P.S. You milage will certianly improve. It will probably gain 2-3mpg over time ( and you quit pressing the accelerator hard on your new toy ;) )
This discussion has been closed.