Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yes, I see so many BMW and/or CA drivers trying to do this during our winter ice and snow storms I find it unbelieveable. Long ago I would often get out on foot and try to get them started and advise them of how to "feather" the throttle.

Useless.

If you want to try this technique it might be best to get out of the car and make sure there is not a layer of ice under that snow.

But, admittedly it can be a good tecdhique if all you're dealing with is freshly fallen unpacked snow.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,722
    Being a yankee fan, i took your story, turned it around a bit and sent it out to some friends. got back some :) and some :mad: . anyways had some fun with it, thanks.
    2nd trip in a few weeks to the dealer. sat in the back of an edge each time. the first time i thought the rear seatback was too vertical. as i was getting out, i noticed the other side of the split seat seemed angled back further. this time, i figured how to recline it. it angles pretty far back. the lower seat cushion seemed kind of low, though. some of the reviews noted this, too.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    In my 40+ years of driving in Michigan, I too have seen the idiots who have no feel for the dynamics of their vehicle. These are the ones who shouldn't disable the TC.

I refer to them as "passengers who happen to have the keys"
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Hey man some of your passengers who happen to have keys managed to escape to NJ. Let me know where to send them.
    Florida. The place is already teeming with them.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    I know there's one in Tamarac...... ;)
    I'm telling. :P
  • Come on 0.0!!! Wife considering a GM product at 0.0 and save the extra $2500 in interest for Nordstrom.
  • I believe there are more people here just to bash Ford. If you don't like Ford products go to another brands forum, leave the Ford forum alone!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Not to bash, but to critique..!

I was a loyal Ford customer long before I had a drivers license, ~1952, Ford Ferguson, over John Deere, Farmall, etc.

The very first car I purchased was a 1956 Ford Fairlane and it remained that way until I jumped the fence to a Lexus LS400 in 1991.

I would dearly love to see Ford make a comeback and be truly competitive with Toyota, and Lincohn vs Lexus.

This forum, and others like it provide the only method I know for most of us to get the word out regarding any unpleasantness we have had with Ford products.

So, long live the bashers...!

Under their "guidance" Ford may well rise again to the top.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Leave US alone, envy. I own 3 Ford products now. But to buy something else from them, it has to be competitive. What they're selling now ain't. Simple as that. Perhaps if they listened to us "bashers" they wouldn't have stupid names for Lincolns, bring back dead rental car names for non-sellers which dont sell cause they're bland and boring, perhaps they would not be trying to describe a shifter which allows only D-L control of the vehicle as "a BOLD move", perhaps they would build cars for drivers instead of Grannies. Perhaps they wouldn't have Lincolns with prop-rod hoods or Edges with brakes that might perform better if u stuck your foot out the door. Or lincoln emmm kay exxxes with tupperware door panels and they think they can compete with Lexus.
    I for one am totally disgusted with what Ford is trying to pass off. Perhaps it stems back to the racist Nasser saying he hated all the "white faces" he sees at company meetings and then he tried his best to change them all to different colors. Perhaps Ford deserves to die?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Are you implying I was bashing Ford? You are very mistaken if you are my friend.
  • srangersranger Posts: 106
    I would not say I am a Ford hater, just extreamly dissapointed in the current product offerings. I currently own two Ford vehicles. My last two were Ford vehicles.

Get the Picture???

If Ford does not wake up and start producing class Leading not bottom to mid pack performers soon they will go out of business...
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    Every car has its faults. the Lexus LS can park itself, but its stopping distance is very far compared to its compeition. The Ford Edge also has a braking problem, but other than that, it is a solid entry and very competitive. Though you and I may find it herendous that Ford doesn't offer a anumatic, especially in their "driver's car" the Fusion, I am willing to admit that for most people it will definitely suffice. The Fusion, I think, is definitely competitive in its market. It may have some faults, but point to me one that doesn't.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    I agree they should be better, but you have to be good before you can be great. The key is steady improvement.
    If the Edge is so darned competitive, why did it finish nearly dead last in a field of 22 new CUV and SUVs for MT SUVOTY a couple of months ago? Beaten by the Korean entries for gawds' sake. The answer is - it aint competitive. Saturn Outlook - that's competitive. The new Vue - that's competitive. The Edge has a bland boring interior, Grandmas' shifter and you gotta add an extra car length or 2 or you'll be getting into a lot of rear enders. Basically, IMHO it sux. And the Lincoln version is a complete joke. The door panels are almost completely hard plastic. Thsi is not what a luxury CUV should be. Not at all. Lexus is laughing all the way to the bank. Heck, I saw th enew Highlander in MT this month and its' interior is so superior to the Lincoln it's not even close.
    Build it and they will come, FOMOCO, dont build it and you're outta here. I use to defend these people. Not anymore. This months' MT is out and there are only 2 mentions of anything fomoco in there. One is actually a car, but it's only ANOTHER special Mustang. That's all Fords' got anymore, the Mustang. And its' days are numbered with Camaro and Challenger on the way. The other Ford article was a small paragraph on how Mark Fields has finally given up on jetting around on a private company paid jet to commute from Dearborn to his home in Florida. Just a little perk for Mr BIG to the tune of over 1/4 million dollars last year, while people are being forced out and Ford is building crap this guy's jetting back and forth all over the place spewing jet fumes and burning tons of jet fuel for no good reason. Who does he think he is, Al Gore?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Who does he think he is ...?

I think we should resist the temptation to go political! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    i think you are being a bit harsh. i don't like most of 'heyjewels' posts either, but these threads are about opinions.
  • fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    All the points that were brought up are right on the money I agree, I just wanted to see some of the points that would be brought to the table. Bill Ford really messed things up, too bad.
    If you are going to rely on comparison tests to really tell you if a vehicle is competitive, I would advice you to maintain your subscription for several years and get back to me. You will find many articles from the same magazine either A)contradict themselves, or B)be completely different from your real world experiences.

Now on to the meat of the subject. I think, since when people drive the Edge, they are driving one of the fastest CUVs on the market in its segment, the majority won't care about a shifter that 99% of people normally put 99% of the time in D and just go. Are you saying that fact isn't true?

There was a recent car comparo where the Kia Optima came in second. Do you really feel that most of America believes it can compete with the BRAND NEW CAMRY THAT CAME IN LAST? Keep in mind, Optima sales are less than 10% of Camry sales. Again, give those articles a couple months and see what happens.

The interior is not bland to me and I am 25 years old, and in the company's target market for the CUV. I feel it is lightyears more interesting than the Highlander interior. It isn't the greatest, but it is definitely not the worst. Have you seen the Equinox interior or sat in the New CR-Vs? Material qulity of the Edge is definitely better.

Lastly, while you mentioned Mustangs, you did not mention the Fusion which beat the Camry and Accord in the latest Consumer Reports, increased sales considerably in February, came in second in several comparos, solidly outsold the Hyundai Sonata, has been very reliable according to JD Power and Associates, has had high customer satisfaction, and is available in AWD while the competition is not.

The MKX was DOA. That thing is indeed horriible but I give credit where it is due and the Edge deserves it.
    "If you are going to rely on comparison tests to really tell you if a vehicle is competitive" ...

So, you dont think that when a dozen people who get paid to drive and write about cars for a living come to a conclusion that one should at least pay some attention to what they say?

"Are you saying that fact isn't true?"

Hmmm ... I guess even I can't argue that a fact isn't true.
    But to your point, personally I dont care what 99% of them are going to do and I certainly dont pretend to KNOW what they will do. All I know is that the Edge and the emmmkaaaexxx are the ONLY CUVs who give the driver almost ZERO control over the transmission. So I guess I'm in the 1% who would like to have some input into what the car is doing. Hey, next maybe Ford will give you only 2 radio stations to choose from. But you wont care, will ya?

I was talking about the new Highlander, not the present one. Read my post, if they havent deleted it like they do 1/2 of them. Probably 1/2 as many as they should delete in your mind and a few others here, but I could care less. Lightyears more interesting? I think you have mixed your metaphors here.

The Fusion beat the Camry and Accord in CR? Aren't you the same guy who says CR is full of it? Your "facts" about the Fusion are not entirely factual, but I've no time for it.

Last, you diss the emmkayexx, saying it's 'horrible' yet the lincoln is, if nothing else, an improvement on the Edge, yet you say the Edge is great. Your logic, friend, is a little questionable.
    "i don't like most of 'heyjewels' posts either, but these threads are about opinions. "

No, YOU are.

Last time I'll turn you onto a good joke, Yankee-lover. :P

PS: I guess hogrod didn't like my opinion? They pulled it before i could get my feelings hurt. Pulled my stuff about the great and wise Goreacle too. Oh well, we car buffs wont be able to ignore that gas bag much longer. He'll have us all on roller blades while he flies his private jets to meet with Leo DiCaprio, another brilliant climatologist.
  • pnewbypnewby Posts: 277
    But, but, but, how can you predict the "Ambulance Chasers" will love the new Edge, when the IIHSA (or whatever that is) gives it a "best pick" award? I pay much more attention to them and the NHTSA ratings than I ever do to CR or the car rags.
    I was referring to the subpar braking performance of the Edge. EG, the new Tundra or the GM pickups stop almost 2 car lengths quicker than the little FOrd CUVs. BOLD Move?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Don't be to impressed by the braking figues for Pickup Trucks unless it says the test was done with a payload in it.

Mark.
    Interesting point. And it applies to cars.

The "poor" relative braking performance of the Edge could be due to Ford tuning the brake distribution to a vehicle with four passengers, while the competition has tuned to the distrubution of a typical magazine road test.

I think the brake distance jury will remain out until we see side-by-side comparisons with at least two different static load distributions.
    ok, send me a bad joke, i'll work with it. :)
    going to the ford dealer tomorrow. i think i'll have my kid sit in the back and get an evaluation.
    So, you don't think that when a dozen people who get paid to drive and write about cars for a living come to a conclusion that one should at least pay some attention to what they say?

Okay you picked one line, and left out the meaning of the paragraph. I think they have some insight; however, as I said, if you read them consistently, you'll find that your opinion on the vehicle you buy should be based on your own testdriving experiences which can/will differ from theirs. Is this not true?

So I guess I'm in the 1% who would like to have some input into what the car is doing.

Yes you are. One thing that all companies should do, please the masses. I won't buy a Fusion because it does not habe a manumatic. If you look up my past posts, this is abundantly clear. However, I recognize I am in the minority. I have to be realistic. Most people aren't like me and drive in D at all times. Therefore the D and L in the Edge is adequate for 99% of the population. Is this not true? You and I are in the 1%. I just acknowledge it.

The Fusion beat the Camry and Accord in CR? Aren't you the same guy who says CR is full of it?

Sorry, you've got the wrong man. I don't remember that.

Last, you diss the emmkayexx, saying it's 'horrible' yet the lincoln is, if nothing else, an improvement on the Edge,

That's your opinion. I don't believe that and the consumer doesn't either which is why the sales of the MKX are disappointing and the sales of the Edge are not. The MKX is wall more expensive and doesn't compete at all within its segment. It's up against the Buick Enclave, the Arcadia etc. The Edge is against the Murano, Sante Fe, loaded Rav 4s, Tribecas, etc. No way the Lincoln badge alone justifies the huge price disparity. Features and styling aren't that different. Is this not true?
  • philmophilmo Posts: 77
    Why not? 90% of the pickups I see on the road carry nothing more than Bronco bumper stickers and several cubic yards of vanity.
  • tinycadontinycadon Posts: 287
    "Besides reliability, American cars can fall down in other areas. Ford, for example, tends to do well in ride and handling, but poorly in braking performance and fuel economy, according to Consumer Reports."
This discussion has been closed.