Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• philmophilmo Posts: 77
    Sure, but, hey dude, it means I can't wear my baseball cap backwards...
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Just took a test drive in a new Edge. Very impressive. We actually were looking at the Escape. Drove one of those, thought it was so-so. Salesman suggested driving an Edge. What a world of improvement over the old design of the Escape. Right now we have it narrowed down to an Edge or a Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,273
    "The first models to feature Sync will be the 2008 Focus, Edge and Lincoln MKX when they go on sale this fall."

Ford's recovery starting to SYNC in? (Karl on Cars)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Although the seat back adjustment is manual, you can fine tune it just by raising the front of the seat cushion a smidge by lifting up on the front half of the power seat adjustment lever.

It works in my Mustang.

Mark.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Posts: 195
    Yeah, I'm 6'3" and they fit me fine. It's the first car I've had that didn't break my neck on long drives. Fits like a glove.
  • arg3arg3 Posts: 1
    I recently stopped in to drive a 2007 Ford Edge. I really liked the vehicle. It was quiet, strong acceleration, easy to get into and out. However, those headrests on the cloth version are terrible. I am a male 6'1" and the headrest pushes your head forward in a very uncomfortable position. According to the dealer, they have heard several complaints regarding this. If you try the leather seat version, somehow the headrests are not cantilevered forward as much and there is a world of difference. Since we were looking for a cloth version, we will pass on the Edge due to those headrests. Hopefully, Ford will fix the problem
    Weird, my dealer doesn't even stock cloth edges.

Mark.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Posts: 84
    I've read a few things about Ford adding quite a few enhancements to the 2008 Edge; at least more than you'd expect this early in the game. It seems they are adding a power rear lift gate as well as an "upgraded" interior among other things. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any more details regarding these upgrades. If they improved the interior materials and did something to improve the braking performance, I'd be much more inclined to consider an Edge for my next vehicle.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    Word is the braking is improved with new tires but that's not something they'll advertise. I haven't heard of any interior upgrades other than an Interior Appearance Package:

• Premium red leather seating surfaces, and red contrast stitching on steering wheel and shifter knob
  • porcinimanporciniman Posts: 23
    I clicked on this aformentioned addy, but...it was too general!

I hope this addy is more succint.
    http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm?vehicle_id=1607
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Yes it is...and you can register as a non-media user..very nice place but dissapointed in the upcoming choice of colors...I think the blew it..for mr thst is the only color I will consider is the Vapor silver....
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Car Man:

Can you post the lease rates and residuals for the 2007 Edge SEL+ both AWD and FWD for 36 and 39 month leases? The information was supposed to change today. Thank you.
    programs change on the 10th.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    We took a little trip from Minneapolis up to the Boundary Water Canoe Area in Northern MN last week and rented an AWD Edge for the trip. The drive included Interstate, winding two-lanes, washboard-rough logging roads and about every other condition except mountains. I thought I would share my impressions of the Edge:

First thing I noticed was that the headrest seemed to close to my head but after a short time, I got used to that and liked it. In fact, I would say the Edge seats are among the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I also noticed that the dash is kind of a jigsaw puzzle of parts and panels. The fit and finish was first rate but it would look better if they could have more large panels instead of so many small ones. To Ford's credit, there were absolutely no creaks, squeaks, jingles or rattles anywhere in the cabin.

The Edge is extremely quiet - excellent isolation from wind and road noise. Also, I was very impressed with the ride. This is a very comfortable vehicle for a trip. We also appreciated all of the storage areas. I will quibble with the tilt/telescope wheel. It does not go low enough or vertical enough to suit me. I kind of felt like I was driving a bus based on the wheel position.

It is common for traffic to cruise at 80-85 MPH on I35 between Minneapolis and Duluth and the Edge was right at home. It is so high geared in OD that the engine was only turning about 2200 RPM at 80+ MPH. That is fine for highway fuel economy but I was less impressed on winding two-lanes at 55-60. The engine turns so slowly that the least little hill or nudge on the throttle would unlock the torque converter and often cause a downshift. The transmission is extremely smooth but for a gearhead like me, this frequent shifting is annoying. Most drivers probably wouldn't notice any of this.

The 3.5 provides good power but you are aware that the Edge is heavy. The engine is also very smooth but the sound level at higher RPM is still not quite as pleasing as I had hoped. Since the road and wind noise level is so low, you hear more engine noise on hard acceleration and on the downshifts. We averaged about 21 MPG for the 700 mile round-trip.

Overall, I think most folks who like SUVs would love the Edge. I am more of a sedan or coupe guy, so it seemed a bit tall and cumbersome compared to my Lincoln LS. If I were in the market for an SUV-type vehicle, it would be a hard decision for me between a V8 Explorer and the Edge. The new Explorers are very quiet and ride well, too, but would use a bit more fuel.

One last thing: I obviously didn't measure stopping distances but our rental Edge had Hankook tires and they seemed to grip quite well. The brakes felt very strong to me and I had complete confidence that panic stops would not be an issue.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    If I were in the market for an SUV-type vehicle, it would be a hard decision for me between a V8 Explorer and the Edge. The new Explorers are very quiet and ride well, too, but would use a bit more fuel.

We averaged 21.8 mpg in our '06 V6 Explorer two weeks ago. It was a 500+ mile round trip all on the PA Turnpike. 70-75 mph with A/C on and CC on most of the way.

That's not too far off from the Edge you rented but I had a lot more room for stuff which I needed. I'm slowly starting to realize that these CUVs from all mfrs aren't all they're cracked up to be. :sick:
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    I don't quite "get" the popularity of CUVs either. The Edge is nearly as heavy as an Explorer yet will not tow or carry as much. The Edge is a tall heavy vehicle and feels nothing like the Fusion upon which the platform is based. Yes, the Edge drives and handles well considering its weight and height but it is no midsized sedan. I still think the Explorer is hard to beat and there are some great deals to be had on them, too.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Posts: 84
    I have to admit to being disappointed in the whole crossover trend as well. On paper it looked great in that theoretically you end up with a vehicle with as much or more room as a traditional SUV but with better handling and mileage. So far vehicles like the Edge only seem to partially live up to that promise.

I understand what makes cars heavy, and with more safety structure and systems being added every year it's hard to keep vehicles from being bloated, but it seems to me that the Edge, as well as many other vehicles from Ford and other manufacturers, are still conspicuously heavy. I'm surprised that will all the current emphasis on mileage that more manufacturers aren't making gains in ways to make vehicles lighter. A few hundred pounds off the Edge would make half of the complaints about the vehicle disappear overnight.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    Part of the weight problem as I see it is the sound deadening materials. It's nice to have a quiet interior but at what cost you have to ask?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    I believe that the manufactures concern is not to loose the people from the big SUV segment ( I do drive an 05 EXPI) by offering them a "similar" SUV (CUV) with better mileage and lighter weight than the current SUV vehicles. Hopefully the CUV segment will go through an evolution over time in which space and good mileage will be achieved.
    All manufactures are thinking along the same lines because they believe that the first one that achieves such balance will dominate that segment of the industry.
    That may be a close contest. After all, the Explorer has an independent rear suspension something that only the Nissan Pathfinder offers among body on frame SUVs.

Go drive a Jeep product with its live axle pickup truck suspension then drive an Edge. It will be like getting into a sports car.

Mark
  • I came across a picture of a Mercury CUV on http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html
    This vehicle is supposed to be a model that was shelved by Ford, well anyway, so says the guys at Popular Mechanics. I think that they are wrong about this. I think that this model will be produced at a later date. This CUV looks to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. Look closely at the headlight cluster, the new satin aluminum grill, and the lower front fascia. They ALL look like styling cues from the 2008 Mercury Sable. :shades:
  • Compare these pictures. The first one is from the Mercury CUV at http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html and the second one is at http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-taurus-sable-on-track/293664/ , the fact that the Montego has been somewhat redesigned to become the Sable (once again), proves that this CUV had to have been designed recently. This Mercury CUV looks like it is going to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. What do you think guys?
  • duckguyduckguy Posts: 1
    We have about 2500 miles on an Edge Sel Plus, bought the vehicle after renting one for a weekend. Front seats are the main reason for the purchase as my back needs very gentle treatment. However, there are few items that I just can’t understand how Ford makes such poor decisions. Ok, the dash is littered with chrome-like and brushed aluminum finish that makes driving very unpleasant on a sunny day. The top of the dash has piece brushed aluminum that we’ve covered, it’s just too much of distraction. Light switch is just right for my knee when entering. Would like to have a power lift unit on the rear door, not available.

We like the vehicle, but gosh Ford people who is evaluating these vehicles?
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    We have 500 miles on our Edge and are very happy with it. One thing seems slightly strange and am curious if any other owners are noticing the same thing. In driving 60 to 65 the slightest acceleration or hill causes a downshift all the way to 4th, skipping 5th entirely. This is a very pronounced shift causing the engine to rev unnecessarily. I don't understand why it doesn't shift to 5th and then to 4th if needed. Anyone else noticing this? I plan to talk to me dealer.
  • jpplyjpply Posts: 2
    I have about 1700 miles on my sel plus edge,I havent noticed any shifting issues like you mentioned.I really like the edge except the milage is not great (15-18)city and (19-23)hwy.
  • Can someone tell me which car rental agencies have Edge's. I am heading on vacation soon and would like to rent one.
  • I too have found the forward tilting headrests to be a problem. However, when I removed the headrests and reversed them (tilt to the rear), I found them to be much more "user friendly". This may be an easy fix for those who have issue with the headreasts.
    When you flip the headrests, you are seriously degrading the performance of the vehicle when you get REAR ENDED. Rear enders are probably the one form a accident that is hardest for the driver to do anything to avoid. You are just sitting there minding your own business and you get slammed.

The Edge received a "Top Safety Pick" designation from IIHS based on having the best results on FRONT, SIDE and REAR impact.

Good rear impact performance relies on the HEADRESTS.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=599

Also, it is documented that Women are at a greater risk than men of suffering whiplash in an auto accident and have a greater risk of delayed recovery.

http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_pages/pr-women.php

I strongly suggest that you just recline the seat a little so that the headrest is NOT hitting your head.

If you feel like you are back to far, you can then use the height adjustments on the seat to tip it forward. This will not change the position of the headrest relative to your head.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.