Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• When they say power mirrors, does that include power folding of the mirrors, or just adjustments?

Anyone know?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ...only adjustments...the power folding that I have seen is in 'high buck" cars
  • Thanks. Yeah, I figured, though I thing a few minivans have it now, so, was hoping.
    ..don't be discourage..the EDGE has many other interesting features...
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    One feature which the new Edge does not offer is a rear cargo cover. This is a relatively small detail but good vehicles are comprised of small details properly attended to by their manufacturers.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    They're available as a dealer accessory.
    The mirrors or the cargo cover?....
    The cargo cover.
    ..thanks glad to know since I am going to get an EDGE 08 towards the end of the year..are you in the EDGE forums too?..
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Funny. I was told by two dealers that there was no cargo cover available period, accessory or standard equipment.
    I think it was only made available a couple of months ago. Here's the info from the Ford accessory page (can't link to it - go to the Edge vehicle page at fordvehicles.com and click on Accessories at the bottom left).

Cargo Security Shade, Ebony
    Part Number: 7T4Z-7845440-AA
    MSRP: $125.00

Fits:
    Ford Edge 2008 2007
  • Total MSRP= 34,040 got $4600 off Cash price=$29,440 & ZERO Financing..
    Silicon Valley, California.. Sweet Deal
    Vista 18" chrome, Seating Flex,tow pk (like I'm going to useit) Reverse sensing, leather seats,Audiohile CDx6

Go Getum...
  • I test drove an Edge today and thought I'd share my impressions.

I thought I was in the market for a BMW X5 until I actually drove one (this was an '06 4.4 by the way.) I was very disappointed in this vehicle. Very small inside and I just didn't think it lived up to all the hype about BMW handing, etc. It didn't drive badly, just not special at all. The back seat was barely adequate and the front felt very cramped.

I then moved on to the VW Touareg, thinking that I'd like that since I'm currently driving a Passat W8 which I love. Again, this car was nothing special on the road. It has a very nice interior, but the back seat is very cramped and uncomfortable. Something about going from the Passat into a larger vehicle and losing rear seat room (I have 3 kids) doesn't sit well with me.

I drove the Edge mostly out of curiosity, and because I'm a Ford fan from way back even though I don't currently own any. I had written this vehicle off based on reviews even though I really like the way they look. I have to say I was pretty darned impressed with this vehicle overall. The Edge has it all over the X5 and Touareg when it comes to packaging. The Edge felt just right the moment I sat in it. It has some of the best seats I've ever been in and the leather was surprisingly soft and comfortable. The rear seat was far superior to those other vehicles and seemed like I could actually ride back there for a couple hours without cramping up. On the road the Edge is very quiet. You can hear the engine when you really get on it but I didn't find this to be disturbing. It handles bumps in the road that jolted the X5 and Touareg with a slight muffled thump; I was actually steering it into road imperfections and it was amazingly solid. The car handles quite well, although you are aware that it's a pretty heavy vehicle when you push it into corners. I'm sure on a track the X5 would beat the Edge, but I don't drive my cars on the track. Acceleration was strong but not amazing; better than the 280HP Touareg and not as good as the 315 HP X5. The one gripe that I have is the damned interior materials. To be specific, the dash and door materials. Why why why is Ford still using el cheapo hard plastic everywhere? This whole soft touch materials thing has been around forever now and Ford still doesn't seem to get it. My previous car, a '99 VW Passat, had gorgeous soft touch materials everywhere; it was like the dash was encased in leather. Here we are 8 plus years later and Ford is still giving us hard plastic dash boards and door panels? Inexcusable.

Honestly, if it weren't for the cheap plastics I'd have my mind made up already. After 2 VW's I'm very spoiled with great interiors and the thought of taking a step down (while still spending around the same money) really bugs me. Still, the Edge is a great car and I might end up behind the wheel of one soon. I'm going to wait for the '08 upgrades and see where things end up. I've read a couple of vague references to possible door trim redesigns and interior tweaks so I'm hoping that someone at Ford got a clue and switched out the Mattel plastics for something more fitting for what is otherwise such a strong vehicle.

As a side note, I really have to admit that the people that have been harping about not taking magazine reviews too seriously are right when it comes to this vehicle. I did a bunch of research before driving these cars, and once I drove them my opinion completely did a 180.
    Have you looked at the MKX? Major upgrade in the interior materials plus a few extras like cooled seats and THX II stereo.
  • Took my new SEL + AWD out to Morro Bay +400 miles, damn talking about nice ride, had 150 of city & the rest hwy going 58 to 78 mph some AC.. 22.5 MPG od reading 514 as it sits in the drive way.. had my inlaws in the back for about 70 miles to the ocean & back they loved the ride & very comfy (Large woman). I as driver of the edge loved it, Vista is sweet(shade/catcher is a must especially at night(hot August Night.) Carbon Metalic with Stone leather not to hot sitting in the sun..
    very sharp looking.. Go get one.. I did go to 2008 site & see the red sport seats very tacky(not for me) Time to buy 07 with some clearance pricing & Zero financing..
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    There are some color changes for the worse if you ask me for 2008 so If you are thinking about this car, and you like the following colors:

Alloy,
    Dune,
    Pewter,

These colors are going away.

A couple of nice changes. 20 inch wheels will be available on the Limited (Limited is just a renamed SEL +). Also Ford's Synch will be available. www.synchmyride.com

On the down side, Synch is a limited order option and since it is standard on the Limited, the Limiteds are going to be in short supply.

LEAVE it to the morons at Ford to come up with a great new EXCLUSIVE feature then limit its availability. First it was the Vista Roof, now its Synch.

Mark.
  • Yeah, when these vehicles were first announced I thought that the Lincoln would be right up my alley, but I really don't like the grille on the Lincoln at all; there's something "80's Chysler minivan" about it that I can't get past. I haven't seen the MKX's interior in person, but I'm a bit lukewarm on the retro shapes, and from what I read (I know...drive one!) the materials are still not up to snuff with other vehicles in the same price range. Overall I just don't think the MKX is worth the extra $$$, but it does have some very nice options. I think Ford needs to finally treat Lincoln like a real brand and give it unique powertrain options. All of the other premium brands give you a power increase (among other things) over the more mainstream versions, but Lincoln mostly tries to get by with just adding more goodies on the inside. Hopefully this improves in the future.

Anyway, the Edge is still in the running. I'm shifting my focus away from slightly used "premium" SUV's like the X5 and more toward new vehicles in the Edge's category. I'll be checking out the new Toyota Highlander, which seems impressive. Looks pretty "generic Japanese SUV" to me, but has a lot going for it. I have high hopes for Ford Sync, which might sway me as well.

I've arrived at the opinion that once you leave the Edge's general price range, you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns as far as what you get for your money. Not that there aren't some nice cars in the higher ranges, but I generally believe you pay a lot more for modest upgrades, and sometimes the downsides are surprising. I drove a 55K Audi Q7 just to get it out of my system and while it had an impeccable interior and a nice on board computer (no NAV in this car) I couldn't really see much to justify the extra 20K. It was also just sort of weird and big, but not terribly big on the inside. Anyway, I digress, but suffice it to say I put that one in the underwhelming category too. ;)
    I enjoy your perspectives on the different options presented to us the buying public. On the MKX, I laughed because my wife thinks the same as you...and to think that because it was a bit upscale she would like it more...well she just plain hates it. The EDGE as of now is the winner for us,the Highlander,well nice, but here in the northeast (I don't know where you are) the TOYOTA dealers think that since it is a Toyota no negotiations..at least most of them..I know someone will dispute this but that has been my expirience (maybe a few hundred dollars off,of course depending on the model)...
    Good luck to you and let us know your final decision...mine for the money is going to be an EDGE 2008
  • Yeah, that is my experience with Toyota as well, and I'm also in the northeast. We bought an '04 Sienna and got a few hundred bucks off and that was it. The Ford dealer threw something like 6K at us trying to get us to take a Freestar, but unfortunately the Sienna was so much better that even the massive cost difference didn't matter. I'm sure with the Highlander getting good reviews and being brand new that they're going to go close to sticker, especially for the loaded ones that I tend to go for. Ford seems to be dealing on Edges, so that will certainly be a factor. I'm thinking an '08 Edge is the front runner for me as well.

The Edge reminds me a bit of the Explorer several years ago. It wasn't the best at any category, but was good at a lot of different things. I don't think I ever saw it win a single magazine comparison, yet they sold like mad for years. I think the Edge is in the same ballpark.

An interesting anecdote: The Ford salesman I dealt with claimed he hadn't lost a single sale to BMW X5's. Whenever people say they are also looking at X5's he has them bring the X5 to his lot for a side by side comparison. He said people always end up liking the Edge better and wondering why the X5 costs so much. Obviously you have to take this with a grain of salt since it came from a Ford salesman, but it was my EXACT experience comparing the two vehicles.
    I think your comparisons and ideas are the same as mine...my daughter's neighbor is a higher up in BMW and he can not even get me a good deal...forget about a good deal a decent deal to me would have been enough...dealers are not willing to negotiate, but then I don't want to travel 100 miles for a good deal....the Toyotas well you said it best...and the EDGE I can get x-plan which is a few dollars below dealer's invoice...
  • Just drove an '08 Highlander. Very nice vehicle, no doubt about it. Still, it seemed a little bit bland as far as driving dynamics go. Toyotas all seem like that to me; can't find anything major wrong with them, but tough to find anything to get excited about. The Edge seemed at least as quiet, and definitely seemed to handle road imperfections better. The Edge also has a weightier steering feel which I like. The Highlander does have an impressively large back seat and a third row option, but that's not a necessity for me (although I'd take it.)

I had to laugh; after my little rant here about hard plastics, the Highlander's dash and all but a small strip on the door inserts was... hard plastic. Strange, since my '04 Sienna has many more soft touch surfaces, and this was a Highlander Limited. Maybe I need to get over it. Still, Toyota does a good job making the interior feel upscale, an impression I didn't get in the Edge, although I think the darker Edge interiors look a lot better than the beige interior in the one I drove.

As expected, there was no wiggle room on the Highlander Limited's price; $38,000 take it or leave it. That alone would sway me towards the Edge, which can be had fully loaded in the low 30's once you take into account incentives and dealer discounting.

Anyway, the Highlander is an excellent vehicle, and they will sell a pile of them. I'm leaning towards the Edge as it has more personality both in how it looks and how it drives, and seems a bit more compact (at least lengthwise,) although I haven't verified this yet with stats.

Just thought I'd share in case there's others out there thinking about the same vehicles.
  • mark19mark19 Posts: 123
    frizz2112-
    i've enjoyed your comments on reviewing all the suv's out there, or cuv's whatever they're calling an suv now. ;)

but I also have to agree with you about the Highlander, lots of people praise Toyota and bash Ford, when for the most part the plastics are probably from the same supplier! :P I do agree that the coloring of the plastics definitely could be upped on the Edge. I did also test drive the Edge, and I found it to be surprisingly comfortable.

How did you feel about the braking distance? I've heard bad things about it, but I test drove it, it stopped as soon as I wanted it to.

One thing I will say, I think Ford has finally had a major wake up call and are letting their designers do their job instead of bean-counters calling the shots. The seats in the Edge have to be, no.. ARE the best seats Ford has EVER had! People have to go sit in this to see what I'm saying!
  • Mark19,

I actually had a semi panic stop on my test drive of the Edge. I was going at a pretty good clip through some twisty/ hilly backroads, and came up over a hill to see a limo over on the side of the road and blocking most of my lane. It wasn't a near crash or anything, but I got on the brakes hard going downhill and I didn't feel like that the stopping distance was overly long. The vehicle is heavy and you can feel the weight, but the brakes seemed fine to me. There's no doubt the braking distances on the Edge are a bit long compared to much of the competition, but I think people worrying about hurtling into accidents they would normally avoid can rest assured that they'll be fine. My Passat W8 stops a whole lot better than my Sienna minivan, but it's not like I'm always rear ending people whn I drive the Sienna. You just naturally compensate a bit and you're fine (not that I wouldn't like to see Ford shorted that stopiing distance.)

I'm totally with you on the seats; best car seats I've ever been in, bar none. They made the X5 seats seem like a plastic grade school seat in comparison, and even made the good seats in the Highlander seem second rate. Ford is far from perfect but they have really nailed some things on the Edge. I am as big a skeptic/ critic as there is but I am puzzled as to how the automotive media seems to be lukewarm on this car.
    I believe that you 2 are right on the money,maybe I feel this way because you are both expressing my thoughts. Toyotas always ran on their reputation but as of lately I have been reading that they are not what they used to be..they are good but they have recalls and horror stories as anyone else,maybe not as much, but....
    I agree that EDGE could have a little more pzzazz on the dashboard,but I must say that the dealer that I do business with (personal friends) thay had one EDGE SEL+ with avery nice wood dash that really dressed the inside and it didi impresses me. This kit was only the dash and 4 covers for the doors where the lock and window switches are..(no not one of those kids that bring 267 pieces and practically you cover evrything including...well never mind..you know what I mean). I was never big on them but this one I really like and probably (unless the wife opposes) install it on the futeure EDGE.
    Justa piece of info for 08 the LIMITED AWD will be on short supply or as they say "high risk" since the sync and the roof are hot items in short supply for the time being...so lets get ready to wait a while if that is what you guys want..
  • I think Toyota makes good cars, don't get me wrong, they just make a certain type of car that doesn't appeal to me all that much even though they are very well made and well thought out. Toyota may sometimes get the benefit of the doubt due to their reputation, but we have to remember they earned that reputation by making very reliable cars for decades without a hiccup. Those of us who follow Ford closely know they have competitive quality now, but that's a tough sell to someone who got burned by a crappy Ford in the past.

I think the Edge is exactly how Ford needs to compete in a lot of ways. Forget about trying to out Toyota Toyota. Match or beat them in quality and make your cars more interesting and less watered down for the masses. The thing is, they'll have to do that for decades for it to truly effect their reputation, but these days they have to do it or they'll die.
    very good points and insight...I think that FORD did with the EDGE a "dry" run so to speak of and test the waters aas far as some of the things that they put into the EDGE and by that gauge the public's reaction. If they turn the engineers loose first and the "bean counters" later (instead of the other way around like in the past) they may survive and possible thrive. the new CEO (he is from Boeing, I forget his name...) may turn the company around, he did at Boeing.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I always feel like the people who had "Crappy Fords" are the peeps who never followed the scheduled maintenance and the people who never went beyound Jiffy lube for oil changes.

Cars need more than just Oil changes to keep them going.

Are Toyota and Honda buys more likely to do Dealer maintenance?

My sister has a Civic and always goes to the dealer 20 miles away despite the fact that my brother-in-law is a marine mechanic.

Mark.
  • cowbellcowbell Posts: 125
    It's not just your imagination. A study was done on this. It showed that the more a consumer believed they were buying a reliable car the better they maintenenced it.

From the article:
    "Consumers take better care of their autos if they initially believe the cars are of better quality, according to a study published in a journal of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences"

An article about the study is at: http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2001/B/200112318.html
  • I think some of that is true. I know when we had problems with our old Explorer, my wife and I would say stuff like "damned Fords." When we have problems with our '04 Sienna. we never say "damned Toyotas" we just take it in and get is fixed. That's what the decades of reputation building gets you; people don't instantly think that the problem is due to incompetence; they're more likely to just think that cars need maintenance and not blame it on he brand. Another piece of this puzzle is dealer performance. If the dealer takes care of you you're less likely to walk away with a bad taste in your mouth over the brand of vehicle. Our local Toyota dealership has been stellar on this count. They even went to bat for us when we had some electrical issues happen out of warranty. Toyota paid to fix the problem even though they had no legal obligation to do so. My local VW dealership did the same when the wheels on my Passat W8 were corroding. The warranty was up, but they paid for a brand new set of expensive BBS wheels. This builds a lot of good will with customers.

I have to disagree with the statement about the "crappy Fords" people not taking care of their vehicles. I have owned several crappy Fords and I'm fairly meticulous about vehicle maintenance. If it weren't for my family's long tradition of Ford vehicles I probably would have abandoned the brand after my first new car, a Mercury Tracer, had a spectacular alternator failure at around 8000 miles which caused the car to go into convulsions and then completely die while driving one day. The dealership that I bought the car from told me that the alternator wasn't covered under warranty (I was young... wouldn't take that BS now) and I had to pay $400 to get a brand new car back on the road. Needless to say, that was the first in a long list of quality issues on that car. My best friend has an '03 Expedition that is complete junk. The day he brought it home new he noticed that the exhaust pipe was mounted incorrectly and had melted away the rear fender area of the vehicle. There was also a large plastic piece of trim at the base of the windshield flapping in the wind because its mounting hole was welded a good 2 inches out of position. That was only the beginning. The car is always in the shop and rattles like it's 15 years old. Oh yeah, and the transmission is dying too.

Anyway, I don't mean to start a war with anecdotal good and bad Ford experiences, but I think Ford did a lot to earn their somewhat tarnished quality rep, even though I don't think they deserve all of it. Either way, the only way out is to build very high quality vehicles for a very long time, and make sure people know about it. Ford's new vehicles like the Edge are all scoring very well in quality studies, so it looks like they are on the right track.
This discussion has been closed.