Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    i'm a right coaster in connecticut. i don't think any new cars are selling well, here. ads in the paper are 3k off sticker for a prius, 3600 off camry hybrid. have not seen any 'edge' on the road, yet. did see a mkx with dealer plates driving to work one day.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Oh. I mixed u up with another frequent poster here I guess. As I said somewhere else, Prii are geting easier to buy out here in Cal too. 0%, prolly below sticker, though I cant be sure. Reason is no more car pool lane stickers for them. Tell ya tho, with gas over $3.00 again here, I'm gettin ready to go hybrid myself. Oil companies are ripping us off. But then, so is Toyota and the Japanese government. Pick yer poison I guess.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    BTW, ex4, speaking of Connecticut and driving:

One foggy night, a Yankees fan was heading north from New York and a Red Sox fan was driving south from Boston. While crossing a narrow bridge in Connecticut, they hit each other head-on, mangling both cars.

The Red Sox fan manages to climb out of his car and survey the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says, "Man, I'm lucky to be alive!" Likewise, the Yankees fan gets out of his car uninjured, he too feeling fortunate to have survived.

The Yankees fan walks over to the Red Sox fan and says, "Hey, man, I think this is a sign that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of being rivals."

The Red Sox fan thinks for a moment and says, "You know, you're absolutely right ! We should be friends. In fact, I'm going to see if something else survived the wreck."

The Red Sox fan then pops open his trunk and removes a full undamaged bottle of Jack Daniel's. He says to the Yankee, "I think this is another sign- we should toast to our newfound friendship." The Yankee fan agrees and grabs the bottle. After sucking down half of the bottle, he hands it back to the Red Sox fan and says, "Your turn!"

The Red Sox fan calmly twists the cap back on the bottle, throws the rest of the bottle over the bridge into the river and says, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Drivers of a FWD or front torque biased AWD should never, and i do mean NEVER, be able to turn off traction control. Slipping/spinning wheels at the rear as the result of no TC is one thing, but slipping/spinning of the front wheels, you know, the ones your stear with, is purely an invitation to desaster.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Unless you're on snow. If you can't turn off traction control you'll be stuck. You have to spin the tires until they can find some grip under the snow. Even the owner's manual says this.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Ford should never have built an SE Edge. The SE is actually misleading if you compare the Edge to the Fusion. The SE Edge has equipment comparable to the Fusion S! The reason for the rebate is that no one will want this trim level.

I can't figure out what bozoo at Ford thinks that people are going to spend north of 25k for a family/passenger car WITHOUT a power drivers seat. (its not that the seat is that important, its just that a car this expensive should have one and all the competition does.)

My other gripe is the unpainted door handles. If you can get painted door handles on a $15k Nissan Versa, then you should get them on a $25k Ford Edge.

Personally I think Ford should drop the current SE, rename the SEL the SE and rename the SEL Plus to just SEL.

Mark.
  • markanmarkan Posts: 48
    I agree and also hate black door handles. $25k should buy an outstanding package of standard equipment.

I also wish Ford would offer a few more options as stand alone items rather than part of a package. Packages used to be a grouping of related items but now we have many unrelated items thrown together. I know dealers hate individual options but I hate to pay for options I don't want to get one that I need.
    Absolutely, unequivably NOT. TC is really for the inexperienced driver that would otherwise get themselves in trouble without TC as a "nanny". Anyone with any level of experience will tell you that the proper way to "gain" enough traction to initially get up and going on the slippery stuff is to carefully "feather" the throttle.

And the owners manual regarding TC off has to do with the ability to rock the vehicle back and forth to get unstuck, and yes, spin, the wheels, not to gain traction but momentum.

Disable TC and then spin the wheels to get moving initially, mono-directionally, and all you'll get is the smell of burning rubber.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    There are situations where one has to "chew" through the snow to find pavement with enough traction to provide beneficial rocking. Disabling TC is required in order to do this.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    My other gripe is the unpainted door handles. If you can get painted door handles on a $15k Nissan Versa, then you should get them on a $25k Ford Edge.

FWIW Ford did this with the Explorer too. Our '06 XLT V6 has black plastic exterior door handles. For '07, body colored and painted door handles are standard across the board.

Going on that, maybe the '08 Edge will have standard body colored handles too. I'm pretty sure Ford did this in the past with other SUVs.
    Yes, I see so many BMW and/or CA drivers trying to do this during our winter ice and snow storms I find it unbelieveable. Long ago I would often get out on foot and try to get them started and advise them of how to "feather" the throttle.

Useless.

If you want to try this technique it might be best to get out of the car and make sure there is not a layer of ice under that snow.

But, admittedly it can be a good tecdhique if all you're dealing with is freshly fallen unpacked snow.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    Being a yankee fan, i took your story, turned it around a bit and sent it out to some friends. got back some :) and some :mad: . anyways had some fun with it, thanks.
    2nd trip in a few weeks to the dealer. sat in the back of an edge each time. the first time i thought the rear seatback was too vertical. as i was getting out, i noticed the other side of the split seat seemed angled back further. this time, i figured how to recline it. it angles pretty far back. the lower seat cushion seemed kind of low, though. some of the reviews noted this, too.
    In my 40+ years of driving in Michigan, I too have seen the idiots who have no feel for the dynamics of their vehicle. These are the ones who shouldn't disable the TC.

I refer to them as "passengers who happen to have the keys"
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Hey man some of your passengers who happen to have keys managed to escape to NJ. Let me know where to send them.
    Florida. The place is already teeming with them.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I know there's one in Tamarac...... ;)
    I'm telling. :P
  • Come on 0.0!!! Wife considering a GM product at 0.0 and save the extra $2500 in interest for Nordstrom.
  • I believe there are more people here just to bash Ford. If you don't like Ford products go to another brands forum, leave the Ford forum alone!
    Not to bash, but to critique..!

I was a loyal Ford customer long before I had a drivers license, ~1952, Ford Ferguson, over John Deere, Farmall, etc.

The very first car I purchased was a 1956 Ford Fairlane and it remained that way until I jumped the fence to a Lexus LS400 in 1991.

I would dearly love to see Ford make a comeback and be truly competitive with Toyota, and Lincohn vs Lexus.

This forum, and others like it provide the only method I know for most of us to get the word out regarding any unpleasantness we have had with Ford products.

So, long live the bashers...!

Under their "guidance" Ford may well rise again to the top.
This discussion has been closed.