Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa

backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
The Nissan Versa has just been announced for the U.S and Canadian markets. Called the Tiida in other markets, it looks like a strong entry in the low-end car class, which includes the Chevy Aveo, the Honda Fit, the Toyota Yaris, and the all-new-for-'06 Kia Rio/Rio5 and Hyundai Accent.

So let's talk about it!!

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    we're getting the micro cars that are so good in other countries!

Will it get 50MPG without a Hybrid?
  • I had hoped that Nissan would sell the Note in the USA.

However, I can understand why they're selling the Tiida derivative here. The upcoming small sports car Nissan will sell in the USA is based on the Tiida, so both the new sports car and the Versa can share the same production tooling.
    I like it so far.

What's the preliminary MPG numbers?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Nissan has stated 38 overall mpg.
  • I had hope that they would sell the Micra/March. I dont know whether the Versa will compete with the upcoming Yaris or Jazz but since both cars are bigger than Micra, I can understand why theyre bringing the Renault Clio.. oops sorry Nissan Versa I mean. I guess the French wants a piece of the American market.
  • The car is not bad aesthetically. I will hold my conclusion after I see the specs.
  • had hope that they would sell the Micra/March. I dont know whether the Versa will compete with the upcoming Yaris or Jazz but since both cars are bigger than Micra, I can understand why theyre bringing the Renault Clio.. oops sorry Nissan Versa I mean.

I think the Versa--if the production quality is good--could be a hot seller. Remember, Nissan said the CVT automatic will be an option on the Versa (something I defintiely want), and given the excellent interior space the Versa could be popular with American drivers because it could accommodate American-sized passengers easily.

I can understand why Nissan didn't want to sell the March/Micra in the USA--the car's interior space is too small for American-sized passengers.
    With rising gas prices, the sudden piling of mileage on my efficient Civic, and the rise in Civic prices, something like the Versa could be a nice third car for me.

Because then I wouldn't have to drive my Odyssey so often (which will be traded in the next 1-2 years) and as everybody knows, the Odyssey doesn't exactly get great gas mileage. It gets good mileage for a van, but I don't always need room for 7 and their luggage.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033

This looks like a rebadged Renault.
    That's because it is based on a Renault design. Thanks for the pics. I think it's quite stylish, considering its price range (starting at $12k). Much classier than the Yaris for sure, and more substantial looking than the Accent sedan. I think I like the Rio5 better than the looks of the 5-door though. Needs better wheel covers, though.
    Give it some alloys and it'll sell.
  • but then again I just don't see eye-to-eye with Nissan products. The 4-door looks better than the 5-door but both just reek of Sentra-Maxima schmaltziness to me.

Just like a lot of people love the looks of the Mazda3 but to me I see a lot of Mazda's "blocky, chunky" design movement going on, to an unsatisfying degree.

The Scion tC, Kia Spectra and Spectra5 are both much more appealing than the Mazda3 IMHO.

As for the Nissan Versa, a lot will like it and it should sell OK, but it has a lot of competition in the U.S. I liked the Micra more but it's true, Americans would pop each other out it's doors into the street, we're so big! :)

The 2007 Toyota Yaris looks way better than the Nissan Versa to me.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Theres a lot more pics of the hatch and sedan, both inside and out, and you can even build/configure as you choose, with Nissan doing their market perceptions pricing studies again.... looks like a LOADED hatch with the CVT *could* top at $19,500... but thats with literally everything, including keyless start, Bluetooth, moonroof, top audio. I am VERY interested to see the power, torque, and efficiency figures for this engine and the seemingly impressive transmission choicees- 6M and CVT

~alpha
    Don't see mpg ratings listed anywhere and I notice aux input and cruise control are only available on the SL model.
    Styling looks really dated. 1990's Renault.
    Reminds me of how old the Infinit M coupe looked when that car first came out.
    A somewhat surprising feature to see on a car of this price...
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    does seem a little bland....
    Put some nice alloys on it, make it a decent color like red or blue and then let's see. Not every small car needs to come from the gee-gaw school of car design. To me it looks a lot like the Mazda3s, and no one call that car bland.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    the interior design looked quite dated, and the rear seats do not fold flat in the hatch, what gives?

unless there was a problem with crash test, nissan should have bring over the cube
    To me the interior is rather plain, but not in a cheap way (which the Focus is, IMO). It's not as flashy as the dash from the Yaris (and doesn't have the center-mounted gauges, thank goodness!), and it doesn't have the curves of the Rio/Accent dash, but I could live with it just fine.
  • mahasmahas Posts: 1
    Nissan said the USA Versa will be manufactured in Nissan's Aguascalientes, Mexico plant. I read that this is the same plant that has been producing the US Sentra cars. Does anyone know of the quality level of the Sentra or any other cars coming from this plant?

I heard that car quality depends a lot on the plant it comes from.
    Price isn't that great since you have to upgrade to the top of the line model to get things as basic as cruise control.
    Exterior styling looks very awkward and out of date already. Interior styling is plain, but could be spun as "clean and simple."
    Now, what does it have going for it? The gas mileage had better be better than all the competition or there is little reason to buy this car.
    Seems about as competitive and attractive a choice as the current Mitsubishi Galant is to an Accord/Camry or even Sonata.
    Sentra is rated Below Average (half black circle) for predicted reliability by Consumer Reports, based on worse-than-average reliability for '02 and '03. It improved to Average for '04.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    Nissan seems to be slipping in reliability. Hyundai overtook Nissan in JD power (in both initial quality and long term dependability) and it seems Hyundai is doing better in CR to.
    I think this is mostly a city car, and Cruise Control isn't something necessary.

Although loaded up it costs $17K, which is a litle shocking. I'd rather forgo the Keyless Go for the Civic LX.
  • I think the Clio is a better looking car. Some how the nissan just isn't as fluid as it should be. The sedan is Horrific. I like the Yaris interior better. It is going to be hard to beat Kia on price and equipment. I have read some high praise for the Rio5's steering and responses. I will have to see it in person before I can make a full evaluation.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Arent the official prices- they are simply used to gather market data. Not sure how that all works, but I'd bet you wont see those numbers be the actual ones. When Nissan did the same with the new M series Infiniti, prices varied widely.

~alpha
  • as I've stated on the "Low-End" forum recently, I am on my 2nd Kia in a row and am totally impressed with both of them. I like the new '06 Kia Rio sedan, even in black, with those large side mouldings blendly neatly in.

I am adding the '06 Kia Rio sedan and Kia Rio5 to my futures list and would love to test drive them both. Kia's in general are just so hard to beat on price, feature content, Warranty and even performance, as you have mentioned on Rio5's steering and response feedback. Interested in how both new Rio's are performing for owners.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• avemanaveman Posts: 122
    I like the look of the Versa.The less brand new parts the better conserning reliability. I would definately want the manual transmission. Even though clutch replacement isn't covered under warranty, I think I would still come out ahead on maintenace cost if something were to go wrong with the CVT after warranty. The Clio is up for Euro car of the year award.I learned to drive a stick shift on an old renault Dauphne.
  • The Clio is butt ugly. Look at the front of the Clio. Horrible! Also the Clio sedan, looks to me like a Daewoo of the 80's. And dont even ask me about the Renault Scenic. What a joke.
  • Nissan now has the Versa on its website and you can build and price your own. I couldn't figure out how to get there from the main page, but here is a link that will work-

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NVersa_topicId-1_pageId-123147,00.html