Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• I paid $120 for paperwork preparation in Massachusetts plus $5 for the title and $29 for an inspection sticker. The last two items are required by law and all of the prices were pre-printed right on the sales order. Dealers can process all of your paperwork at the dealership now so you don't have to go to the Registry of Motor vehicles any more. Before that, years ago, you could pay the dealer to have a "runner" go to the RMV for you. The $120 is worth it to not have to take extra time to stand in line at the RMV.
  • $120 for the document prep? Over in Minnesota, with this one Honda dealer, it's only $55, granting that different states probably have different document requirements. Some dealers must use the doc prep fee as a profit center.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    From the buyer's order:
    Documentary Fee: Is a fee charged by the dealer in an amount that covers costs and reflects the value of the benefit provided by the service. In some cases, the fee includes some services that may be optional or may be performed by the Customer.

Most states have non-discrimination clauses that prevent a dealer from not charging a fee that is charged to other customers.

Please keep in mind that you are paying the bottom line. Just ask for that fee to be taken off of the selling price of the car.

Mark.
  • My insurance (I'm with State Farm) actually went down about $225 a year, to my pleasant surprise. (My previous car was a 1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso.) But I also get a multiline discount (I have my renters insurance through state farm), accident-free discount, and safety discount.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Hi all,
    As you can see, we're moving toward more focused discussions. Please visit the top level Nissan Versa group to see the new discussions. Feel free to add some of your own that you think might be of interest to other members!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    can we still post here?
    Anyone know of any discount extended warranty or service plans? With the Versa being build in a new factory in Mexico, and with the quality ratings for the other Nissan's built in North America plants, I think it might be wise to buy one. I'd like to buy one for about $1500 for a 7 year 100,000 zero deductable that covers just about everything.
  • bobw3,

Try warrantydirect.com. I hear their prices are very reasonable, and their coverage is better than the extended warranty from the dealer. For one thing, you can take the car to any ASE-certified shop, not just the dealership. Hope this helps.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,637
    took the versa to the dealer to get the oil changed, and while I wsa waiting for my car, one of the lot boys drove up in a 07 Sentra 2.0S. So I took a look at the car,for $18,700, you get one with CVT, Convience package, floor mats and some else (couldn't remember.) I was impressed with the looks (looks like a baby MAX.) One thing I did notice was, the materials for the car was very upscale, it has less room then the versa, and the rear passenager, have less headroom. Besides that, they rate the car 29 city and 35 highway. HA... But have to say, its a nice car, and they well sell LOTS of them...
    The Versa is not being built at a "NEW" factory. Nissan has been building Sentra's there for years.

Mark.
    Here at Ford, we sell Fusions for $18,700.

Bigger car, bigger engine, better warranty.

Mark.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    "Bigger car, bigger engine, better warranty"

All valid points. Hmmm... interesting that you didn't say "better car".
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,444
    Bigger engine, and uses more gasoline.
    Funny thing is, what is the car worth in 5 yrs? When I went looking for a new car, the lease payment on my Versa was better then the Fusion by $50/m.. WHY... Resale value...

Tony
    The residule on the Fusion is 50% for 36 months. In line with the rest of the industry. The Taurus was 38%. Ford is choosing not to subsidize the Fusion lease with a lower money factor, that is why the lease is higher.

Mark.
    The Fusion is 2 feet longer and 6" wider, but the Versa has more 2nd row head and legroom and 2CuFt more luggage space.
    And 23/31mpg for the 4cyl Fusion vs 31/36 for the Versa. And it's a few thousand less.
    Funny thing is the Versa Residule is 57%. The Fusion has old technology, no CVT, NO Bluetooth, No Intelli-key (no ford car has this.) Why by olt technology when you can get new Technology and in a roomier car...

End of thread...

Tony
    lets not confuse the ford guy with facts....

Tony
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    It's funny you guys downplay the Versa's poor fuel economy and resale value versus its identified competition (Fit and Yaris) or versus its uplevel competition (Civic and Corolla). Now that someone identifies a car that it actually can beat for fuel economy and resale value in the Fusion, fuel economy and resale are all that matters. The Ford easily wins the ride, feel, acceleration, and style versus the Versa. Fuel economy like you guys said before is only a few dollars a month anyway. Resale? Buy a Honda or Toyota, right?

The only real strength I see for the Versa is back seat room. It appears most people can't even get 30 mpg in mixed or highway driving in the Versa if you believe the Edmunds boards. I wonder if the Sentra will actually get better real world mileage than the Versa.
    funny thing is weren't we talking about a Fusion... OR are we not talking about FIT and YARIS ? In the real world the YARIS isn't in the same catagory as the VERSA. The Equipment level of th e FIT and YARIS isn't close to the VERSA.

I'm getting 31 wiht my Versa, which is fine with me, since that is better then my 2000 Ford Contour was getting. BTW, same engine as the I-4 Fusion...
    For me, I wouldn't consider the Corolla/Civic because they both seem too cramped inside, as compared to a Versa, Fit, Yaris or Fusion if you want to bring that in the mix. In comparing the Fit to the Versa, the Fit handled better and was more sporty, but the Versa was smoother, quieter on the highway, and had more interior creature comforts. I want a 4dr, but the Yaris 4dr seems sort of cheap inside and I don't like the center dash, plus I'd rather have the hatchback.

With respect to the Fusion, it stated that "Ford easily wins the ride, feel, acceleration, and style versus the Versa" but all the reviews of the Versa have indicated that it's smooth and quite, and from what I've read about the Fusion, it's a more racy version of the Mazda6, and it has heavy steering, you feel the bumps more, and there's more interior noise. And I don't believe that the 4cyl engine makes the Fusion seem all that powerful, plus when you get all the options on the Fusion in comparison to the Versa you're talking about at least a $20K Fusion. And styling is purely subjective, so there's no point commenting on how one car has a "better" style.

Bottom line is that the Fusion and Versa aren't even competitors, so it doesn't really matter outside of this forum ;) People are going to cross-shop Fusion/Accord/Altima/Mazda6 and I doubt if Fit or Versa will be in that mix.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Good replies from both you and flightnurse.

Any chance Nissan might come out with a true B size model to compete with Fit and Yaris? Something that gets 38 or better on the highway. I would also like to see the next Mazda2 imported.
    I doubt it. The Versa is the competition for the Fit/Yaris, even if it is a foot longer. The same tall body design. The question is whether there will be any American competitors.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,720
    FWIW, I owned an I4 Contour also. It had a 125 hp 2.0L engine--a far cry from the 2.3L motor in the Fusion.
    If you're going to compare the Versa to a Ford, the Focus 5dr would make the most sense.
    I'm not comparing anything, I'm just correcting a misstatement in an earlier post.
    I truly think people don't understand what Nissan is trying to do, they are not doing the cookie cutter cars. So with that in mind, there really isn't a true competetion for the Versa in its price point. The Versa is a true B car, but they took the design from inside out. Something no other car company is doing today. With the Marriage of a french and Japanses company, we are finally seeing some of the French influence come through... For that, the Versa is in a class by itself...

Tony
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    Any chance Nissan might come out with a true B size model to compete with Fit and Yaris? Something that gets 38 or better on the highway.

The JDM Nissan NOTE is the direct competition of the Fit and Yaris (5-door Hatchback), but Nissan will not bring the NOTE to North America. Rather, I understand that Nissan is contemplating bringing the funky-looking Cube to compete with the Scion. The Cube, with its 1.5 L engine, gets a good mileage. I personally think that Nissan should have brought either the 1.5 L Versa (as in most Tiidas) or the NOTE to begin with, but it's too late for that now.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    the Versa is in a class by itself.

I have to agree. Even in Japan, a market that is jam-packed with excellent small cars, the Tiida is recognized as a car that has upped the ante because of the distinct way the comfort is addressed. Looking around in the world, I cannot come up with any car in this segment that emphasizes the creature comfort the way the 'V' does.
    Maybe the Rabbit, but it costs more--particularly as a 5-door. More power, and more luxury available though.