Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• micweb:

What's your spin as to the poor reliability of the Versa Sedan?
    Do you think this bad showing relates to ALL versions of the sedan?

Hope to hear from you...

Thanx-

Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I always thought the Versa was reliable, period, but one day I came across some newspaper blurb that cast the Versa Sedan (specifically, not the hatchback) as having worse than average reliability. Only the manufacturer's warranty records can tell us for sure, of course, even Consumer Reports and JD Powers are just surveys from a limited group of owners, and its hard to do good surveys like that. I don't think the Versa had some of the bigger problems that, say, the Quest did. It's a proven design out of a proven plant.
  • moontommoontom Posts: 28
    I'm strongly considering this car, and wondering how it is for highway cruising.

I gather noise and road bumps are muted...they were on my local road test drive.

but I'm wondering: how's the seat after a few hours? driving position for legs/knees/etc?
    anything else of note?

thanks very much for any and all insights!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    Well I have 45,000+ on my Versa, have taken it on two vacations and really have no complaints at all on highway cruising. In fact, I just had a passenger for a 120 mile trip the other day who had never ridden in the car asking me the same questions since his son is looking for a car and is considering the Versa. He liked the size inside and comfort on the road.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Superb car for long distance drives, easily took me from San Francisco to Los Angeles and back, gas mileage with the stick shift not as good as hoped compared to similar class cars due to the higher freeway rpm (low gearing on the 6 speed favors sporty driving not fuel economy). Seats are extra wide, great.

The automatic versions may give similar freeway mileage to the stick shift, since while they are intrinsically less efficient, they have lower freeway r.p.m.

A highly recommended car - midsize inside per EPA, while compact exterior and good gas mileage.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,896
    I like the looks of this car but I have heard that it is made by Renault and not Nissan. Is this true?

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

Renault and Nissan formed their alliance in 1999 with Renault holding something like a 45% stake in Nissan. The Versa is the US/Canada name for the Tiida which is available in various overseas markets.

It's based on the same mechanical platform as the Renault Clio so I suppose you could look at it as "made by Renault" if you'd like. I just turned over 47,000 on my Versa the other day. The semantics of who it's made by have not been a factor for me. :shades:

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    Hi...
    I'd like to know why Nissan saw fit to eliminate the Sun and Sound package from its options list for the Versa SL sedan. Anyone have an idea? The automaker claims it's due to lack of interest on the consumer's part...that customers just don't seem to want that package with the sedan. I disagree, speaking for myself. A sunroof and high powered audio system with subwoofer would really make the sedan an attractive buy, again speaking for myself.
    One other thing: Is there a strong possibility that Nissan will offer traction control/electronic stability control with the Versa for 2010? All of these optional equipment features I've described above would certainly make the SL sedan/5 dr quite a strong contender. It would be a deal maker for yours truly, next model year, for sure!
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,896
    I don't consider it a bad thing if it is made by Renault. I was just curious. Sometimes it is hard to figure out just who makes what these days. I believe I read somewhere else that the Versa is actually assembled in Mexico.

I have always been partial to "tall cars" and I especially like the look of the sedan.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    I like the look of the Versa sedan also. Some have negatively criticized its look, but I disagree.

Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • I noticed there isn't any (obvious) place to tie down the hatch if you want to drive with it partially open, as when transporting something long. Anyone find a way to secure the hatch partway down ? What about driving with the hatch open and unsecured and letting the wind buffet it? Anyone try that yet ???
  • The alarm on my 09 Versa 1.8 S Hatch goes off ( beep, beep, beep) every once in a while, for no apparent reason. It stops by itself before I can get out to the driveway to stop it. Nobody around it, no animals, no wind, etc. Anyone else have this?

• "Panic button" on your keyless entry getting pushed?
  • thegraduate,

Thankyou!! That was it. If I hold down the red and white button for 2 seconds, the beeping starts. Thanks for the answer!!

TM :)
    I've only run into one time when I couldn't close the hatch on something I was transporting. (amazing what I've been able to get inside with the hatch closed)
    What I did to tie down the hatch was to anchor the rope where the hatch latches down and then run the ropes around to the outside of the hatch and tie the hatch down. I used some rags/old towels to protect the edges of the hatch doors so the rope couldn't rub the paint, but it worked fine. We were moving several 6 foot long tables and had to transport them about 45 miles, most of it at highway speeds and everything worked out just fine.

• pf_flyer,

Thanks. I checked it out, and yes, it looks workable. Don't know why I didn't see it before !! Thanks. :)
  • You're quite welcome. :)
  • Are people so lazy to insist this is a must.i am in wonder why it is so hard to just drive this car.Own 93 Sentra,and never,never used this control.What is this obesession???? My new versa got 32.5 miles on city/highway!
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    Not sure what this message was in reply to, but I don't go a day without using cruise. It helps control your speed consistently so you don't speed, helps many leadfooters use less gas, and provides comfort over multiple hour trips on the highway. I have seen people drive for 8 hours on the interstate and never use cruise. All the while, they vary in speed from 55 to 80, pass and get passed constantly by people driving with consistent speed, and complain about lack of comfort on long highway trips. I would never buy another car to be used at all on the highway without cruise. We all have different preferences.

I for one have never understood the obssession with the sunroof/moonroof. I have had multiple and would rather not have one in any vehicle I ever own. It usually takes up headroom, raises the temperature, adds weight, costs money, but for some reason is loved by many. For some, acceleration, fuel economy, reliability, safety, and cost are nonfactors as long as it has a sunroof.

Other people don't care if there is a stereo or air conditioning in their car. Different strokes!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It's a comfort thing. The post below is spot on with how I feel. I drove my Accord 750 miles in 11 hours; Birmingham to Oklahoma City, and used cruise about 90% of the time. It saves a lot of strain on my ankle/leg. I'm 6'5" and can't sit as comforably as most in anything smaller than a full size truck!
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Re. sunroofs... you also forgot to mention many seem to always eventually leak.
  • Target has outside therometer $4 with inside temp,and clock for $10.A compass $3 vanity mirror.Sony radio+cd player $100.00.I upgraded my versa for much less money than dellers charge.DO IT YOUR SELF!
  • The prolong moaning over after market instalation.a stick jambed into dash will get same result...
  • Are you a unhappy buyer of other Japanese car???? you seem very bitter...My versa is so good it will make you cry!!!!!
  • My new Versa when brand new got 31.5 city. and highway. second test got 33 miles highway. Engine is NOT broken in. am sure better mileage will occur later in this cars life. Much nit-picking by Fit I wonder WHY???Versa in my opinion is the very best car for money spent. Owners of other Japanese cars seem troubled by reviews ! I wonder just how these mileage are run?AT HIGH SPEED...
  • under my gas cap lid i found water puddeling this can't be good in the long run because after tanking some gas dripped from the nozzle and mixed with the water,
    when i used a paper towel to wipe up the the spil i noticed that my red paint came off. everytime the gasoline dissolves the paint it will make it more porous allowing the water / water salt mixture to penetrate down to the metal to make it rust. there are also overlapping surfaces under the lid making the whole situation worse.
    anyone else have this problem ? and what to do about it.
  • Yays : decent mpg. cute. QUIET. Handles well (better than Corolla). Hatchback for moving stuff. High seat.

Nays: Mileage isn't great, just OK.. Need cushion for lumbar support. WINDOWS FOG UP VERY EASILY. Even on a clear day, if it's humid, the windows will fog up, if you put the heat on. You can cure it by putting on the defroster, but who wants to wear out the compressor (the a/c compessor comes on when you turn on the defroster), and lower your mpg ?
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    Ok, how did you do it? Have you got suctioncups on dash?
  • The versa has a better choice that a 5spd. it has a cv..t trans available. c.v.t. stands fo constant variable transmission. it does not have gears. in simple terms it gives you more power and better fuel economy than a 4,5 speed automatic and better than a manual trans. it is available on SL models
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    I had a 02 Acura and the a/c came on when using the window defg. Our Lexus and BMW does the same thing. I was told it's good to start your A/C once or twice in winter so the gaskets would't dry out, but that was back along time ago
    You don't burn that much unless you are parked for along time, like warmning car up in the morning. I don't know
    the reason for the change :confuse: .