Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Does anyone know the latest info on when the G6 convertible is set to be in dealerships? I've read rumors that they are starting to trickle off the assembly line. Are these likely still pre-production models or the beginning of the retail models?

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Pontiac web site says Early 2006
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    Everything I've read says early 2006. This is a car I'm eagerly anticipating. Should be my first new car in about 7 years. I just want GM to take their time and do it right. I currently have a 95 Cutlass Supreme Convertible and at 143k miles its still doing well. I am hoping for just that kind of reliability out of this G6.
  • wh9wh9 Posts: 32
    Does anyone know what the anitcipated price of the car will be?
  • I live about 30 minutes from the plant and know several workers that know a little bit. I am hearing they are making the first 500 of pre-production to get the trunk release right. It is going to open two seperate ways, correctly and for the top to go into it. There had been some problems with the hinge, but I think they have worked them out. After the 500 are built, they will start producing them for retail. I think it will be a hit with prices expected to stay under $35k.
  • The Pontiac website has removed all mention of the G6 convertible. I did a google search and got a Pontiac link for a G6 convertible website. But the link opened to the Solstice page, even though the url said: http://www.pontiac.com/?seo=goo_G6_Convertible</a
    Maybe the first 500 will be real collector items.
  • Last I heard is that it was delayed again because of production problems. Apparently the top mechanism doesn't meet the standards of the top manufacturer. GM, however, said it was good enough for them. Further proof of why I won't trust a hardtop convertible from GM.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    That's funny.

The articles I saw - all reporting unconfirmed rumors in any event - said that GM was the one not accepting Karmann's quality.

In any event, the real story from GM media relations is they are setting up a G6 Convertible specific website that is about to launch in the near future.

No delay, no problem, big launch.
  • The other night on the late night Jimmy Kimmel show they had an actual G6 convertible outside on the street with the top down. After a few jokes and discussion about some sort of roadtrip they're going to make with the car, they demonstrated the hardtop operation. If was very slick and looked great with the hardtop up, much like the coupe. This car is gonna be AWESOME!!
  • Anyone know when this G6 will hit the showroom or how much they will be? A local dealer told me they wouldn't get any untill May 2006. GM says it will be here Jan 06?
  • calidavecalidave Posts: 156
    Pontiac.com says "early 2006"

which should be anytime before July 1, in my book (but that really would be MID 2006)

I've seen nothing else
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    I have been told by some reliable people from Pontiac that the car should be in showrooms in March. One person said as early as March 1. This looks like a great car. Not many hardtop convertibles out there, and none that I know of in this price range.
    Pontiac issued a press release on Jan. 20, 2006 saying the G6 hardtop convertible will have a sticker price of $28,940. It also says the car will be in dealerships this spring. Wish they could be more specific. But with the announcement of the exact price, they obviously are getting closer! I have already ordered this car.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    I wonder when they will release the price for the GTP version. The GT version is going to be pretty slow with all the additional weight of the hardtop added on.
    Found out today that the G6 GTP hard-top convertible will have a list price of $29,990. That's only $1500 more than the GT. For that little extra, to get the 240 HP, I changed my order from GT to GTP. Car should arrive sometime in March; Pontiac announced it would arrive "in spring" to play it conservatively.
    I still dont know why the convertible has only 227hp as opposed to 240hp in the other cars. I read somewhere that the production of the drop top begins in April.
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Differences in exhaust restrictiveness
  • You're right,the GTP convertible will have 227hp, not 240 as I had thought. But 227 is fine for me. I can also tell you production starts in February, not April.
    I'm glad it starts earlier. I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a plant shutdown to prepare for the convertible in April. I figured that was off because Pontiac has updated their website with info on the convertible.
  • sigt1sigt1 Posts: 66
    anyone know if the GT will come w/o the woodtrim; is woodtrim only available on GTP? I hope so! Anyword on the realiablity of the hardtop and if they are going to follow the german companies quality standards?
  • Are dealers taking orders for this car? I went to a local dealer and they told me it wasn't expected until "later this year" - should I find another dealer? Also do you have any idea what the warranty on the top mechanism will be?
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    ...is what I was told at the recent Washington, D.C. car show too. When I pushed a little, he said probably September.

When I smiled and said September didn't seem like a good time to introduce a convertible, he laughed and said, "Well, that's when we always introduce new models.'

Okey-dokey. The "way they've always done it" seems to reign supreme.

I doubt you'd get any better answer from another dealer this early in the year. Try again in May, perhaps.
  • Just found out today there is ANOTHER DELAY in producing the G6 hard-top convertible. Production pushed back another month or two...until March or April.

It looks like a nice car but I am leasing a different one now as my current lease is up in March. I will also see if there are any first year model kinks they have to work out on the G6.
  • dicky4dicky4 Posts: 3
    On 3/1/06 I visited my local Pontiac Dealer and he gave me a copy of a vehicle order for a 2006 G6 convertible GTP due later this month. He will call when it comes in.
    You won't get your car until late April at the earliest, and more likely sometime in May if you're lucky. I have talked to a lot of people inside Pontiac, forget what your salesman tells you. It does look like a nice vehicle if you are not in a rush, though. Good luck.
  • They'll probably hit the dealers' lots just in time for Winter.
  • martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    I have been hearing that the top is having problems when it comes against the top of the windshield. The plant is within 30 minutes of my dealership and we have a lot of workers in and out of here. We have ordered our first GTP, but we do not have any indication of when we will have it. In December, a line worker told me that they were making changes to have every 4th car be a convertible.

I hope they hurry up with this drop top, the introduction of the Solstice was just in time for the snow to fly. Hopefully people in this area will be able to enjoy their convertibles when it is above 50 degrees.
    Thanks for the information, martymart. What a bummer. I could wait until late April at the latest, but to due my current lease expiring, no longer than that. So it appears the G6 convertible won't be my next car. You seem to have good "inside info."
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,789
    A Pontiac dealer in Naperville, IL had a prototype out front on loan from Pontiac. Car looks sharp, got to sit in it and feel it out. Comfortable seats interior looks nice. Wife wants it. Salesman said that they should be getting them in around June 1st. He also said they are selling them at sticker (said some dealers may be selling for over sticker) and they have already taken deposits for four.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.