Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• timstoytimstoy Posts: 1
    Well I think I lucked out this time after 3 trips to a good for nothing dealer in mountain home Ar I talked to the Fact. and they let me take it to a larger town and a MUCH better GM dealer . They kept it for 2 days and gave me a loaner car and now I have a quit G6 at least for a time . This GM dealer in HARRISON AR. and are on top of things .
    Have a good day
    T conroy
  • billdamanbilldaman Posts: 37
    For those of you G6 HT Convertible owners out there looking for a OEM windscreen here is one currently listed on Ebay: - current price $125 ( I purchased mine for $200 plus a rip off $60 shipping on Ebay and I never leave home without it - it makes a SERIOUS difference) - good luck bidding -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AS- S%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=320255786102
  • bsudsbsuds Posts: 5
    thanks for the info. will keep an eye on it. still waiting to hear about my car top problems. the dealer has had it 1 week today. thanks again.
  • keahkeah Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 07 g6 coupe with 25k miles. After a couple of weeks I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the front end anytime you hit a bump. I took it back to the dealer to address my concern and was told, the cars have air shocks and they should sound make this noise BULL. Has anyone else had this problem.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    If, by problem, you mean crappy explanations and service from dealers, then I would say "YES!".
  • twosmgstwosmgs Posts: 11
    Purchased my 2008 G6 Convertible in January, 2008, at a few hundred dollars above dealer’s invoice, and then received $5,000 in total rebates (GM cash $2K, GM Card Special $2K, GM Loyalty $1K). Best deal and value I ever received during 35 years of purchasing new automobiles. This convertible is a MUCH-IMPROVED distant cousin of my previously-owned 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible (1994 – 2005; 84,000 enjoyable miles).

Why are we mostly hearing about the problems with this car? This is my 4th open-air car, and each one arrived with a couple of rattles, squeaks, and minor water leaks. With a cooperative dealer and bit of your own tinkering, all of the problems will soon be resolved. If this is your first convertible, whether it’s a soft-top or a HTC, then get used to the inherent complications and quirks of these cars. In the end, if you enjoy riding with the top down, it’s all worth it.

The 3.5L engine is smooth and powerful enough for this car. Likewise, transmission is smooth. Except for the wide turning radius, the car drives especially well. The American-style seats are extremely comfortable, and the ride is rock-solid. Minimal wind turbulence in front seat. Modern options, especially XM Radio and On*Star, exceed expectations. Fuel economy exceeds 17 city / 26 highway EPA estimates by 10 – 15%.

If Pontiac / GM wanted to make me perfectly happy, these additional features would have been included, available, or changed:

1) Truck space, and more of it, which is fully accessible when the top is lowered. (With the top up, trunk space is fine. I purchased a Lloyd carpeted trunk mat on-line to finish the trunk and cover the spare tire, and that should probably be standard with the car.) Add key access to the trunk, and include a lockout on the trunk, so that it can be made inaccessible when the top is lowered.

2) A compass, integrated with an auto-dimming rearview mirror. Also, heated side mirrors.

3) A light in the glove box, lighted vanity mirrors, and an under-hood light.

4) Rear armrests.

5) Integrate front seatbelts into seats. Current design is comfortable, but certainly not convenient for rear seat entry.

6) Additional Safety Features: a] Pop-up roll bars behind rear seats. Yes, they’re relatively costly, but they could be life-savers. (These safety devices are already included on several low-priced convertibles.) b] Side airbags which are “combination” side airbags, and thereby include a head airbag chamber.

7) Separate the trip computer from the radio, as in other GM designs. Currently, the XM Radio display has abbreviated titles, and is vastly inferior to my other two vehicles, which also have XM radios.

8) A larger glove box. .

9) Scuff-resistant plastics on the doors.

10) More powerful gas-struts to assist with opening the trunk lid.

11) Folding rear seats.

12) Back-up sensors.

13) HID headlights, with headlight washers.

14) An adjustable armrest. (Also, include a coin-holder.)

After five months, I am very pleased with this car. At about 25% - 50% lower cost compared to other competitive hardtop and traditional soft-top convertibles, the Pontiac G6 HTC is a great value, indeed.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    I enjoyed reading your message!! I too owned a Cutlass Supreme convertible, a 1995 with the newer dash, black with graphite leather. Sold it at 153,000 miles still going strong!! So much for GM making junk that doesn't last. :) A friend bought it for his wife, so it may return to me some day once she's bored. :)

I see how the G6 HTC could replace that car for me, the only downer is size of the trunk. Even top down, the Cutlass had a big trunk. Top up - it was phenomenal. I guess that's the trade off from a soft to hard top.
    I FINALLY GOT MY CAR BACK JUNE 3RD. AS PREVIOUSLY POSTED, THIS WAS THE 3RD TIME IT WAS IN FOR THE TOP NOT COMING UP. SO FAR IT HAS BEEN WORKING, BUT WHAT WORRIES ME IS THAT THERE WERE ERRORS THAT SHOWED UP, THEY WENT THRU THE SYSTEM, CLEARED THE ERRORS BUT DIDN'T REPLACE OF FIX ANYTHING!!!!!!
    HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THE DEALER. WAS TOLD 2 TIMES THAT GM WAS COMING TO LOOK AT THE CAR. AFTER HAVING THE CAR FOR A WEEK, FOUND OUT, GM ONLY COMES ON THE 4TH TIME THE PROBLEM HAPPENS. DID CALL GM TO FILE A COMPLAINT. THEY CONTACTED THE DEALER BUT NOT MUCH MORE HELP.
    I AM STILL NOT SURE ABOUT THE CAR. NOW I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE CAR IN FOR THE RATTLES EVERYONE ELSE IS HAVING. FEELING A LITTLE BETTER ABOUT THE CAR, BUT STILL NOT 100% TRUSTING OF IT. EVERY TIME I PUT THE TOP DOWN, I WORRY. I AM TO THE POINT NOW, I MAY SELL THE CAR AT 3 YEARS WHEN THE WARRENTY RUNS OUT. I DIDN'T GET THE EXTENDED WARRENTY AND DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH REPAIR ON THAT TOP WOULD COST. GM WOULDN'T EVEN GIVE ME AN EXTENDED WARRENTY AT A DISCOUNT TO COVER THE TOP IF HAVE PROBLEMS AFTER 3 YEARS. I HAVE TO HAVE CONFIDENCE IN THE CAR I DRIVE AND I HAVEN'T HAD THAT SINCE THE 1ST TIME THE TOP MALFUNCTIONED!!!
  • kdoc3kdoc3 Posts: 2
    Sounds like you are having the same issues I did last summer - I lost a good month to problems with the top. Supposedly, it was wires near one of the hinges that were too long, get rubbing and eventually shorted out. No problems with that since - have someone check it out.
    thank you for the information. i will look into that!!!
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Why are we mostly hearing about the problems with this car? This is my 4th open-air car, and each one arrived with a couple of rattles, squeaks, and minor water leaks. With a cooperative dealer and bit of your own tinkering, all of the problems will soon be resolved. If this is your first convertible, whether it’s a soft-top or a HTC, then get used to the inherent complications and quirks of these cars. In the end, if you enjoy riding with the top down, it’s all worth it.

Sorry, but I disagree...

Any new car should not leak under regular conditions...PERIOD!

Yes, a drop-top is inherently louder and prone to developing rattles and squeaks, but it shouldn't be delivered that way.

My wife has an 05 Mini convertible with 36 K miles, and it doesn't leak now, nor has it ever. The top has no manual latches, and is a 1-button up-or-down maneuver.

So, I respectfully disagree that these problems should just be "accepted" as part of the deal...
  • g6happyg6happy Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2007 G6 HTC (got a great deal vs 2008) and had some front end vibration at 65mph. Also when stepping on it at 50mph and above, steering was erratic at best. Dealers solution was to install four new tires as well as a new donut spare. Has anyone had similar problems? Front end vibration is much better but the tremendous torque on the steering wheel when stepping on it at high speed is still very noticeable.
  • nurseprofnurseprof Posts: 4
    Hi. Hoping someone can shed some insight here. I have a 2007 G6 Convert. It is in the shop for the 3rd time with a cracked flywheel and torque converter. They have to drop the engine and split it in two each time this happens to get to the part. This last time they said, "the reason it was so loud this time is because it also broke a bolt in the engine." This is some scary stuff!! I'm now afraid of this car. Anyone else hear of this problem, or did I just get the proverbial "LEMON" vehicle? :lemon:

I really don't know what to do about this, but I am afraid to take this vehicle back and drive it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • You may have a lemon on your hands, and if you don't trust it anymore, call GM about some of your options. Sounds like a buyback or an exchange is in order. Something's wrong in the drivetrain if it repeatedly is cracking flywheels and bolts. I wouldn't trust it either. I suggest trying another convertible thru GM or your dealership and not giving up on the G6 convertible yet...

Our 2008 vert has been excellent so far...
  • hl12hl12 Posts: 11
    I purchased a 2007 G6 HTC back in December. Awhile back I posted some comments about the bad sound coming from the so called upgraded Monsoon system. I didn't get much feedback at the time so now that it's many months later, I'll try again. The FM sound seems to be almost unlistenable due to a bad overbearing subwoofer system. The XM sound has an opposite problem.......seems kind of hollow and sometimes tinny. In addition, there is bad sound separation. I'm curious how some of you feel about the stereo system. I also would like to hear from someone who might have replaced their stereo with aftermarket components. I'm looking for some good suggestions.
  • rjentrjent Posts: 19
    Our Monsoon has been very good both playing CD's as well as XM.

I am a 40 year amateur musician and create my own music as well as listening to all genres , so I feel I am qualified.

It sounds like your speakers are possibly bad, it is hard to tell without hearing the sound. You will probably have a hard time getting relief. Music and sound are very subjective and there is no incentive for the dealer to fix it.

Our G6 vert has been a dream. No problems and an absolute joy to drive and own so far. We bought it in the summer of 2007. :)
  • hl12hl12 Posts: 11
    I'm glad you enjoy your car but my opinion is totally different.

1. Automatic transmission is sub-par causing lousy performance. At freeway speeds you have to step on the gas real hard to get the power to pass.
    2. Stereo is below average. I already have a commitment from the dealer to change the head unit because the steering wheel controls don't work well and the tone controls sometimes change by itself to a default setting. I will probably change the speakers on my own as soon as I get some good suggestions.
    3. Car rattles in back. This seems to be quite a common problem.
    4. Gas mileage is much worse than posted. It's a ridiculously heavy car.

The only positives are that it looks great in and out, it's comfortable and roomy, and it's a HTC. I just wish I went on the freeway when I test drove it. I never would have purchased it if I did. A lesson to be learned in the future when I shop for cars.

I'm completely sorry I purchased this car and will rid myself of it near the end of the warranty period.
  • ted2337ted2337 Posts: 1
    In my experience, the car is very stable and tight for a convertible. I'm sure this comes at a price in weight but I like it very much in town and on the highway as a family car. I keep my Mazerati for Sebring LOL. It was noisy in the top mechanism but I had the rubber sleeve fix installed by dealer and it worked. Can't beat the G6 vert for looks.
  • I was seeking help because I bought my wife a 2008 Pontiac G6 HTC Jul 31 2008. Today the car was completely wet (rear panels under rear windows both sides) after the rain storm of the remnants of Hurricane Hanna. I cannot believe it. I am troubled after looking at all the trouble some of you had. Can anyone tell me who I could contactwithout going through all the drama you did (BBB, GM Pointac Rep that will GELP instead of give the run around)? Or recommend a good lawyer if any of you have gone that far; thanks in advance for your help. My wife is pretty pissed; but she wanted the car; we bought it off the show room floor and the sales manager delivered it to the house! What a nightmare; I am a GM loyal customer for over 30 years; and now this!
    Earlier this week Professional Collisions Auto center told me that the passenger door appears to have had some kind of damage and did not fit the car correct. I went to the dealer looked at the same models on the lot and some of the doors were not exactly aligned but not like mine. So the sales manager had the door adjusted; it still does not look right. GEICO, my insurance company, also noted that I need to get this checked out! Am I stuck with a 28K new "lemon"; can anybody help?
  • I hardly think some water in the interior after a heavy rain is cause for a lawsuit. Maybe you should take it to the dealer to make sure the windows are adjusted correctly first. There is a procedure in the owner's manual that deals with adjusting the front windows, I don't recall if it also applies to the rear ones.
  • I worked for GM for 14 years before resigning in 2007. I know the Car (I owned a G6 HTC until recently), And I can recommend exactly what you need to do. Let the interior dry out. Make an appointment with the service manager to ride with you to a "Laser wash" touchless car wash. Run the car through. Afterwards, note the leaks and wet spots. Tell the service manager you want the documentation on the service order to read "customer complains of water leaks in_____-locations, Verified by service manager. Tell him that the carpet is beginning to smell and you also want that replaced. The shoddy material under the carpet will begin to mildew if exposed to water. Let them have a a go at it. If its fixed, fine, if not repeat the proceedure getting all documentation exactly worded, each time.

After three times if these leaks are not repaired go directly to a lemon law lawyer with your documentation and have the letters sent directly to Pontiac . demand that they buy your vehicle back - no comprimises. It is a fact (I know this from the data) that "water leaks" are the #1 reason for GM vehicle repurchases. Water leaks are a serious matter,never normal in a HTC and you must get the quality that you paid for. Good luck, hope it all works out and you get satisfied with your new car.
  • When I put the car in reverse to get out of the garage I hear a clunk underneath.

Also happens when I slow to an almost stop at the bottom of a highway exit ramp and then release to go forward after braking.

Is this an easy fix at the dealership ?
  • Hi all. I've had my HTC for over a year now. This summer I've noticed some rattling from the doors & rear quarter panels when going down bumpy roads. This only happens when the the top is down. I don't remember having this problem last year when the car was new. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, did you get it fixed? Or is this pretty common in a convertible? :confuse:
  • rjentrjent Posts: 19
    I couldn't agree more. Ours has been flawless and a total joy to own. Some squeaks, yes, mostly taken care of with silicone spray on the rubber seals. I have three convertibles, and this one is the driest, quietest, and most comfortable of the three. Oh, it is also the cheapest.

I am a happy camper! :)
  • had this in my 07 G6 HTC. Door rattles due to Striker pins rattling against the b pillar locators. Sprayed lithium grease spray on the pins to quiet the rattling doors. The roof is another matter. Many TSB's out there. Inherent defect in the design, should have been 3 panel roof instead of 2. A 2 panel is cheaper to make and looks better, Dealer may be able to remove some squeaks through TSB, or may make it worse. Karmann (the roof supplier) quit making dealer service visits to fix this issue months ago. Root cause of Problem is in Lake Orion assembly plant body shop.. My advice is to let the roof rattles go, and enjoy the vehicle. I enjoy mine a lot more now that its sitting for sale on my GMC dealers used car lot
  • I appreciate the response and recommendations. The dealer has the G6 now. I gave them 72 hours to fix or I will return it. Pontaic Rep from customer service (GM Pontiac) said a district rep will contact me today. I also own 1994 Cutlass Convert for the past 14 years. Problems with leaks in both rear windows; only when left in the rain; the car is garaged mostly so we never noticed the leaks until later. I just expected too much from the G6 HTC and I didn't check this site before purchasing, lesson learned (after the fact). Again, enjoyed talking with you all and I will keep you informed, thanks much!
  • Good Luck with GM customer service. I spent almost a full month going back and forth with them related to my G6HTC. All you will talk to is a corporate blowhole who believes that they are appeasing you, but they have absolutely no power to do anything of value. Not sure where you live, or under what laws, but a simple "return" is not an option like at Wal-Mart. My car has been in three times for a cracked flywheel and torque converter, and they have now decided to replace the transmission. So, if they wouldn't do a buyback on a car with major engine/motor problems then I wish you luck with leaking windows. Even after multiple returns for the same problem, over $2,000 dollars in rentals, being verbally attacked in the showroom by the owner of the Pontiac dealership in Thibodaux, Louisiana, and a month on the phone with GM; their answer is "we would like to refund one month's note payment for your troubles. Needless to say, GM has lost a loyal customer after 40 years; and the Thibodaux, Louisiana Pontaic dealership will hopefully "benefit" from the truth of my story every time I tell how I was treated and attacked. The story is much more detailed and troubling than I have room for, but know that GM, Pontaic, and your dealership likely do not have your best interests at heart :lemon:
  • Two days after delivery of my 2008 G6 HTC in 1/08, I noticed that there was some water in the wheel well. (It was built in 9/07, and had been sitting in a distant dealer lot in wet/cold/snowy weather in the interim.) Upon return to my excellent, long-time local dealer, body shop did a water test and found that 2 seams around trunk gutter were either not sealed correctly at the factory, or had cracked. They were immediately repaired satisfactorily, and the repair was invisible due to the perfect color match (black). A review of past posts will show that others have had similar trunk leaks, so perhaps there is / was a quality problem at the factory. Maybe your leak came from the trunk gutter rather than from an area around a rear window?

I can't comment about your door misalignment since my doors, windows, & trunk lid were aligned perfectly. On a related subject, suggest to all that spring-loaded door alignment pins be lubricated with a light coat of silicone grease, to prevent future rattles, especially if you live in cold climates. {Note: a high quality brand is Super Lube, which is commonly used by swimming pool owners on gaskets and O-rings. Has always worked well on my prior convertibles.}

Per my previous post of 3 months ago, I also owned a 1994 Olds Cutlass convertible for 11 enjoyable years. Only leak I experienced was at the middle of the header in the final year of ownership due to the expected deterioration of the rubber gasket. (Sun exposure and ozone ultimately ruin butyl rubber seals and gaskets, no matter how well they're conditioned over the years with silicone spray or oil.)

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with your new car. Although rain totals have been higher than average this summer, my family and I really enjoyed our top-down time. If your dealer is as good as mine, and your GM regional manager is customer-focused, you're likely to ultimately be satisfied with your purchase, even if it means that you receive a replacement car under the terms of your state's lemon law. (I once had a new "dog" Dodge, which was in the repair shop more often than it was on the road - a classic lemon. The dealership's owner OFFERED to take it back for a $0.15/mi depreciation penalty, as long as I purchased another new car at a similar, deeply-discounted price, from his mega-brand dealership. He was a good, smart businessman, and thereby retained my loyalty. I purchased a different model, and was completely satisfied. This happened more than 5 years before lemon laws were enacted in any state.)
  • kevgretkevgret Posts: 37
    Hi:

I purchased my g6 2 years ago and from day 1 I have had nothing but issues with this car.

1) Top rattled the first year off and on. Dealer did not know his [non-permissible content removed] from a hole in the ground. Eventually they became more knowledgable and the car was fixed.

2) While on vacation over the summer the top completely failed and was stuck in the up position. Car was in the shop for THREE weeks and they had no idea what happened.

3) The driver sides window while in the down position rattles while driving. Two trips to the dealer and it looks like it is ok now.

4) My airbag warning light keeps coming on. I have had the car in the shop FOUR times and they keep telling me they have to order different parts. So far it has not been fixed.

5) My exhaust system blown and when accelerating the car you hear a loud whistling noise from the car. The dear told me this is becoming common with the G6 vert and there is a service bulletin on how to fix the car. Of course they did not have the parts and the car required two visits and two days to fix.

I should not have to fight with the dealer every time I have a car issue. I had a chevy cavailer for 9 years before this car and that car had NONE of the issues a car I paid 4 times the cavalier price.

Why does this car have so many issues? what happens when they don't recoognize these manufacturing defects and wont fix my car? I have one yr left on the bumper to bumper and then my protection plan kicks in,.

I have 22,000 miles on the car and drive it around 60 miles a week. This sort of useage should not warrant this type of breakdown.

I have defended this car but I am considering trading this car in immediately.

Does anyone suggest anything else? I have spoke with corporate customer service and they are not helpful and told me my car is fine. I want the dealer to do a buyback but I am not sure how that works.

Kevin
  • Kevin,

I dumped my G6 Convertible and traded it on a fully loaded GMC Envoy. The deals on trucks are fantastic, the sun roof gives me all the sun I need and amazingly the gas mileage of the truck nearly matches the ultra poor performance on the G6 .(24 mpg highway on the Envoy)

The G6 is built by a lazy incompetent salaried workforce at GM's Orion Asssembly plant. Late to work, early leavers , they let problems get shipped. The workers cant be blamed, The roof is proof that even Karmann roof systems can design and build crap.

I am so happy I traded, two months since, I enjoy the sunny days so much more by owning and driving a well made vehicle.

Sell!

Bill